Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Legend
Legend
M
I think there is a lot more to it than being cognizant of the cap - I think the way some posts have been written (not suggesting it's you or anyone in particular) - it's as if the Cap is a non-factor and can be worked around any time we want. Salary and signing bonuses can be manipulated and pushed around at will... I don't think that's accurate. I think we can move and manipulate our cap to sign Ward, Watson, Chubb and Garrett - but then it impacts our ability to improve the big holes that need addressing. If we end up cutting JJ3 - I've seen that it will save X number of dollars after July 1st ... but it also potentially creates a hole that then needs to be filled.

Another example of why the cap is actually important - we've all mentioned how Lamar's negotiations with the Ravens have been impacted by Watson's deal. Many posters have crowed about what a great deal it is that we've forced Baltimore into a tough position with Lamar ... Yes, there are other factors at play like Lamar's style and potential susceptibility to injury and the fact that DW's contract is fully guaranteed - but if the Cap is something only to be cognizant of and isn't that big of a deal - the Ravens could sign Lamar to whatever they want, because down the road it can be manipulated. If the Cap isn't that important what we did with Watson probably wouldn't be that important for how the Ravens deal with Lamar. I am sure if needed the Ravens could get creative if the fully guaranteed is a sticking point - offer him 6 years, larger total contract and a guarantee that's the 2nd highest ever. Something that makes Lamar the 'most' in one portion of his contact even if isn't not fully guaranteed, but then the guarantee is enormous compared to anyone except DW. It seems odd to argue that both the Cap is not that important anymore AND that the Ravens are struggling to sign Lamar because of the $$$.

Last edited by mgh888; 01/19/23 11:01 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: WSU Willie
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Burrow holds the ball forever when his first read isn't crazy-wide-open or he's not dunking it at the WR at the line of scrimmage.

Not true. Everyone can see for themselves. Burrow ranks second overall in the least amount of time to throw in the NFL.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing/2022/REG/all#average-time-to-throw

Edit to add: Those numbers are there even though Burrow is very elusive in the pocket and often buys time for his receivers to get open and/or avoid sacks.

The staple of the Bengal passing game is immediate dinks over the middle - usually to a guy with no one near him and within 5 yards of the LOS - and immediate dunks at the LOS to the WR. There is no processing the defense with that...no arm strength required and takes about as little time as is possible to release. I've now twice given you the reason why his release-time stat is what it is. Watch the game this weekend and look for those two pass plays. When Burrow has to put some stank on a throw, his accuracy goes to pot...and I'm not talking about the comical punts that he chucks up where Chase punks the CB on.

He's the same guy who couldn't beat out Dwayne Haskins at Ohio State.

Put DW on that team with his superior arm talent - and even-better elusiveness - and that team would be unstoppable. We could have that with real, NFL WRs.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't disagree with your post at all. The cap is certainly a big factor. Teams depend on the draft so they have starters at key positions on rookie contracts to offset the high cost of free agents and the stars on the teams that demand huge contracts. The draft is a huge components in helping provide more cap space. With the watson trade it certainly upped the difficulty factor in accomplishing that over the next few years.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The biggest thing about a contract like Watson's is the guarantee itself. Once that contact was signed, the Browns were required, bu league rules, to deposit the entire guaranteed portion into what is essentially a "guarantee account". Deals without guarantees and "pay as you go". Guaranteed deals are "pay in full into a guarantee account as soon as the contract is signed". The player gets his annual salaries, but out of the guarantee account. Haslam could afford this, but many other NFL wners cannot.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
1 member likes this: PortlandDawg
V
Legend
Legend
V
Once again, you don't know what you are talking about.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I won't argue w/you and your opinion on the cap. I think our guys will handle the cap just fine. And it's not like it's unusual. I think of SF. How are they going to pay Trent Williams, Run CMC, Deebo, Kittle, Aiyuk, Bosa, Armstead, Warner, C. Ward, J. Ward, Greenlaw, etc moving forward. Our their fans freaking out like steve is over the freaking salary cap?

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
Burrow holds the ball forever when his first read isn't crazy-wide-open or he's not dunking it at the WR at the line of scrimmage.

Not true. Everyone can see for themselves. Burrow ranks second overall in the least amount of time to throw in the NFL.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing/2022/REG/all#average-time-to-throw

Edit to add: Those numbers are there even though Burrow is very elusive in the pocket and often buys time for his receivers to get open and/or avoid sacks.

The staple of the Bengal passing game is immediate dinks over the middle - usually to a guy with no one near him and within 5 yards of the LOS - and immediate dunks at the LOS to the WR. There is no processing the defense with that...no arm strength required and takes about as little time as is possible to release. I've now twice given you the reason why his release-time stat is what it is. Watch the game this weekend and look for those two pass plays. When Burrow has to put some stank on a throw, his accuracy goes to pot...and I'm not talking about the comical punts that he chucks up where Chase punks the CB on.

He's the same guy who couldn't beat out Dwayne Haskins at Ohio State.

Put DW on that team with his superior arm talent - and even-better elusiveness - and that team would be unstoppable. We could have that with real, NFL WRs.
Can you provide proof that the whole Bengals passing
Offense is 5 yd check downs and dinks and dunk
Like you describe it?
Opposing defenses started to play more Cover 2 vs the
Bengals this year in order not the 40 yd plus aerial
Throws Burrow was throwing to Chase Boyd Higgins
And Uzomah.
If anything Burrow adjusted and still was carving
Up defenses in 2022 to the tune of 4500 yds
And he missed Chase for 1/4th of the season
You don't throw for 4500 yds dinking and dunking

V
Legend
Legend
V
Man, Burrow has such a terrible arm and throws w/no anticipation.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Burrow doesn’t have to have a huge arm because he already has elite anticipation. He gets the ball out on time get to his receivers when they’re at the top of their routes. His ability to read a D and get the ball out on time to the right receiver buys him the extra time needed because of his lack of ball velocity.
I’d take in a QB elite anticipation and accuracy over arm strength any day of the week.

I was so bummed Cinci had access to him when they had the top pick in the draft.
Meanwhile the Browns with the first pick had access to an underperforming college QB ala Darnold, a small school untested inaccurate QB like Allen, an undersized over performer in Baker, and an athletic freak show with questionable actual QB skills in Lamar.
Nope… Cinci got an athletic, National Championship winning, big program leading, record breaking… but mildly underpowered QB.

That’s the Browns’ luck I guess. Or lack there of.

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

I agree with you. I don't like Bengals at all and hope they get beat. Here is what I think when I watch Joe Burrow. He makes very good pre snap reads and that is why he gets rid of the ball so quick. He understands his offense and knows where every receiver is going to be. He diagnoses the play and gets the ball out right away. Now, there are times his pre snap read can fool him and in those situations, he does hold the ball longer than he probably should. He is fearless in the pocket. He trusts his teammates and waits to the last second to deliver the ball and will get sacked because of that fearless mentality. In his short NFL career, most QB's that have been sacked as much as he has start to wilt and fade. I don't see that with Burrow. He is impressive.

To beat Burrow a defense has to disguise coverages and make him go thru his progressions. When he is able to deliver the ball off his pre snap reads he is unbeatable. While he is going thru those progressions the pass rush has to get home often. Change coverages and you'll need a great CB to take away his security blanket Chase. If a team has to double Chase, then Higgins and Boyd will kill your secondary. When a CB can man up Chase and at least contain him some. Then you can roll coverage and play games with Burrow's pre snap reads. Tough to do see Bengals 12-4 record but the Browns have a defense that is built to do just that. Can the Bills? Chiefs?

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
V
Legend
Legend
V
Football analysts across the land think Burrow is one of the very best QBs in the league. On Get Up this morning, a panel of 5 guys all picked Burrown over Allen, and three of those guys played in the NFL. I don't know if Burrow is better than Allen, but most everyone thinks he is the top 3-4. I'll take their word over the guy who recently said our former qb was the best qb in the NFL since Joe Montana. LOL

V
Legend
Legend
V
Guy is a winner. He makes mistakes. Hell, they all do. Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, etc. But, they win you games and raise the level of play in others. Check out the Bengals record with and without Burrow the last 5 years or so. And we do have some data from his rookie year where the team played games w/him and w/out him.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

Do you even watch the Bengals play? I do and gave you my opinion. All you have are stats (which are perfect for guys like you) and the cut-and-paste opinions of talking heads. Watch them play...dink...dunk...chuck (that doesn't mean he is totally incapable of making throws that require arm talent...his is limited).

DW would kill it with those pass-catchers.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I do watch the game and that is why I said you don't know what you are talking about. You should stop. You are embarrassing yourself.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
This is what happens when you play the prorated bonus game of kicking the can down the road and the Bucs are not even in the top 6.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...could-impact-the-buccaneers-financially/

Top six teams with prorated bonus amounts to hit the cap in 2023:

___TEAM_______PRORATED BONUSES for 2023__Pct of Cap________Current Effective Cap Space and rank
1. Saints__________$89,045,370_____________ 39.576%_______($61,267,104) - after already redoing Thomas' contract.
2. Eagles__________$88,971,656_____________39.543%_______($ 748,878)
3. Packers_________$87,616,885_____________ 38.941%_______($20,170,125)
4. Rams__________ $70,117,623_____________ 31.163%______ ($15,674,776)
5. Bills____________$68,504,676_____ ________30.447%______ ($20,070,390)
6. Browns_________$68,311,563______________30.361%______ ($16,193,171)

Effective Cap Space = the cap space a team will have after having at least 51 players (league minimum used for openings) and
its projected rookie class to its roster.

Total prorated money (including money that will void):
When money is converted into a bonus that prorates over a number of years — most typically signing bonuses — it can no longer be manipulated for salary cap purposes. These amounts are truly sunk costs on the salary cap, unlike guaranteed salaries that are effectively sunk cash amounts but could still be altered from a cap accounting perspective.
Teams have to work around these sunk costs even after a player is no longer on their roster — when they become what is referred to as “dead cap.”

Example: If the Browns redo Watson's 2023 contract as they did in 2022, the Browns Prorated Bonuses for 2023 will raise to more than 77M in 2023 or almost 35% of the cap without considering any other players to be signed. Currently, only 6 teams are operating with prorated bonuses over 30% of their cap.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
E
Legend
Legend
E
Not exactly sure how this became a QB thread. Joe Burrow is an elite QB on our team he would be one of the greatest Like "ALL QBS" if you bring a lot of pressure and hit him often that is how you beat him. The kid is the most hit for the last several years. His OL sucks.. At this rate he will retire as damaged goods. Another Andrew Luck.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
1 member likes this: dawglover05
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Bengals sacks allowed in 2022 regular season

Browns sacks allowed in 2022 regular season

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
But Watson and Brissett didn't take any senseless sacks.

1 member likes this: WSU Willie
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Well, the 49ers have just made it to the NFC Championship game for the 3rd time in 4-years. What an amazing run by a team that hasn't had an elite QB any of the 4 years - just saying.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by steve0255
Well, the 49ers have just made it to the NFC Championship game for the 3rd time in 4-years. What an amazing run by a team that hasn't had an elite QB any of the 4 years - just saying.
They have quite a team. Great DL, LBs, and some versatile players on O

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O

This Purdy kid is the best thing to happen to them this year. He came out of nowhere and is playing at a high level, top 5 or 10 game right now. Nothing like that ever happens in Cleveland.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 01/23/23 09:28 AM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg

This Purdy kid is the best thing to happen to them this year. He came out of nowhere and is playing at a high level, top 5 or 10 game right now. Nothing like that ever happens in Cleveland.

Brian Sipe was maybe a 17th round pick, so it has happened.

But, I agree, it doesn't happen anywhere very often.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I have no idea what you watching?

Burrow is a fantastic young quarterback. The Bengals are the best team in the North. They will remain so unless we improve to overtake them.

Burrow will be trouble until he retires.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
They have quite a team. Great DL, LBs, and some versatile players on O

That is so true - and why hasn't our Cleveland Browns been able to do the same? It all starts at the FO and the caliber of HC. SFO is proving year after year that paying for an elite QB isn't necessary to win NFL games. Like I posted earlier, the Browns only have 1 defensive player (Garrett) currently (based on their 2022 performance) that could start for the 49ers. On offense, the Browns only have 2 definite starters in Bitonio and Teller with Cooper maybe being a #2 or #3 at best and Chubb who's a better runner but would have a very difficult time bringing to the table the all-around explosiveness of McCaffrey. Different teams build their teams different ways but having an elite QB doesn't fill in all the blanks. Maybe Berry should pop his head up and take notice. In 2017 the 49ers were 6-10 and 2018 they were 4-12. Since then, they have a record of 42-24 with 2 NFC West crowns, 3 NFC Championship games and 1 Super Bowl (and counting). In the same timeframe, the Browns were 0-16 in 2017 and 7-8-1 in 2018. Since then, the Browns have been 32-34 with have never winning an AFC North crown, no AFC Championship games, and never been to a single Super Bowl. You need look no further than the FO and HC as to why one team is so successful and the other not so much. The FO gets the players (like night and day between the teams) and the HC gets the most out of his players skill sets (again like night and day).

E
Legend
Legend
E
Lynch has turned out to be probably the best GM ever and add on Shanahan who has evolved into one of the best HC around!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by eotab
Lynch has turned out to be probably the best GM ever and add on Shanahan who has evolved into one of the best HC around!

I certainly will not disagree with your opinion. The point was and still is that the Browns had the exact same opportunity and has failed to this point. I've detailed what IMHO the Browns needs are to field a team comparable to the 49ers winning team, but many here think the buck stops here now because the Browns have Watson. We have forum posters here that will lash out at you as being a non-fan or worse if you dare point out any of the Browns shortcomings. The Browns will never get better if you are not looking critically at every position on the team. Having only one player that could even be considered a starter on the 49ers defense is troubling. Games are still won in the trenches. If you watched just the game yesterday, Cincy - with 3 OL starters out - dominated the line on offense. Today, could the Browns have 3 starters out on their OL and be dominate like that? On defense, the Bengals dominated the Bills offensive line. When was the last time the Browns DL dominated any team? SFO won the same way they have won all year - with dominate line play on both sides of the ball. This is a business; every player is expendable if it makes the team better and points the team in the direction of the ultimate goal of a Super Bowl. The Browns just finished their second consecutive losing season at 7-10. Every single person in the FO, coaches and players on the Browns should be looked at very critically if they are to get any better. Adding a Watson is not the cure all.

Last edited by steve0255; 01/23/23 11:09 AM. Reason: spelling

V
Legend
Legend
V
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Thanks for proving my point.

We have forum posters here that will lash out at you as being a non-fan or worse if you dare point out any of the Browns shortcomings.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by eotab

I certainly will not disagree with your opinion. The point was and still is that the Browns had the exact same opportunity and has failed to this point. I've detailed what IMHO the Browns needs are to field a team comparable to the 49ers winning team, but many here think the buck stops here now because the Browns have Watson. We have forum posters here that will lash out at you as being a non-fan or worse if you dare point out any of the Browns shortcomings. The Browns will never get better if you are not looking critically at every position on the team. Having only one player that could even be considered a starter on the 49ers defense is troubling. Games are still won in the trenches. If you watched just the game yesterday, Cincy - with 3 OL starters out - dominated the line on offense. Today, could the Browns have 3 starters out on their OL and be dominate like that? On defense, the Bengals dominated the Bills offensive line. When was the last time the Browns DL dominated any team? SFO won the same way they have won all year - with dominate line play on both sides of the ball. This is a business; every player is expendable if it makes the team better and points the team in the direction of the ultimate goal of a Super Bowl. The Browns just finished their second consecutive losing season at 7-10. Every single person in the FO, coaches and players on the Browns should be looked at very critically if they are to get any better. Adding a Watson is not the cure all.
Cincy oline surprised me in regards to how little time
They had to prepare in a week's notice
I watch that one kid Jackson Carmen take out a Bills DE
Straight out of bounds on a Mixon run.
And the Bills dline has some high draft picks on
Esperanza, Rousseau, Oliver.
Burrow had all day to throw and when he felt the pocket close in
He climbed the ladder and delivered strikes.

P
Legend
Legend
P
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

This must be a representation of the Baker song that has been running through your head for almost a year now. I'll happily send you another record. Just make a request.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Tyler Scott and Marvin Mims are intriguing.

V
Legend
Legend
V

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
We need good solid upgrades to our weak areas. The AFC is loaded so in order to be one of the legit contenders in "23 we have to make all the right moves. There are too many good teams in our conference. Let's hope DW can get back to form and he works well with KS. Schwartz was a much needed upgrade as DC and I think we will be a lot better just because of his hiring but we do need some more players there. If we were in the NFC it would be easier but we're not. WE need the right moves in FA and the draft or it could be another long year.

1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
When Andrew Berry was hired. I thought he was a qualified candidate.

He had the background and the education. He worked for Howie Roseman who is considered a top GM.

This off season will be a test to find out how good AB is.

We are not starting over. We are not a 3 win team with loads of draft capital and big money in cap space.

We have a franchise quarterback. He is being paid. Miles is a former number one pick. We are paying Chubb, Njoku, Teller, Botonio, Conklin, Cooper, Ward, and Miles.

We don't have big money. We will have some money to spend from reworked deals, and NFL cap expansion.

DT, DE, receiver, and possible safety are immediate needs.

AB needs to figure out how to fix the roster. How to spend. Do we go after one or two big dollar FA? Spread the money on maybe four guys. Try and make a trade?

Here are the draft picks:

Second Round. Pick #43.
Third Round. Compensatory pick not yet assigned between picks 97 and 102.
Fourth Round. Pick #111. Pick #131 - From Minnesota.
Fifth Round. Pick #141 - From Los Angeles Rams. Pick #143.
Sixth Round. Pick #189.
Seventh Round. Pick #231.

How do we use them? Trade up with the lower picks? Trade lower picks for higher picks next year?

Move around and try and target 3 guys to address needs? Or, draft as per code BPA?

This year we will find out how good AB is. This what he has spent most of his adult life preparing for.

GM's are expected to score on players early in the draft. It becomes much harder as each round passes. Cap management is AB and others. Berry is a professional in cap management. He has spent lots of time learning how to do it. He knows way more than any of us.

It really is a test now. How to spend and on whom. He has to identify talent and then find how to get those players. Obviously he does not control all the processes. But he has to know how to work the process with many alternate plans.

2023 will depend upon how well he does.

Legend
Legend
These guys are kinda entertaining. The topic is on point.

P
Legend
Legend
P
This is a player I mentioned a little while back that seems to be gaining a little traction....

Free Agency Profile: DT Greg Gaines

A big interior presence could be relatively inexpensive

Throughout the offseason, we will be bringing you as many profiles of players that could join the Cleveland Browns as possible. Both free agency and the NFL draft are ways that GM Andrew Berry could improve the team so we want to provide you as many and as much information as possible for who those players could be.

Defensive tackle will be a focus for most of the offseason as it is not certain that more than one current interior defender will still be on the 2023 roster. While the Browns brought in DC Jim Schwartz to fix the team’s problems in the run game, it was an “X’s and O’s” and “Jimmy and Joes” problem last year for Cleveland.

Today we take a look at a player that would be helpful against the run and pass in the middle of the defense but could come relatively inexpensive compared to some of the other options.

Name

Greg Gaines

Position

NT/DT

Height/Weight

6’2”/313 pounds

2022 Team

Los Angeles Rams

Stats:

2023: 16 games, 12 starts, 732 snaps, 36 tackles, six tackles for loss, six quarterback hits, two sacks

Career: 59 games, 25 starts, 122 tackles, 24 QB hits, 11 tackles for loss, 10.5 sacks

PFF Grade:

59.1 overall, 57.5 vs run, 59.3 vs pass

2022 Contract

Final year of rookie deal, $2.5 million

Fit with the Browns

Gaines would provide Cleveland with a versatile, depth piece that could start right away while an early rookie develops or could provide rotational depth if multiple veterans are brought in. He has the size to anchor against the run but his low center of gravity helps him shoot gaps and make impact plays in the backfield as his 24 QB hits and 10.5 sacks as a DT show.

Browns Player Signing Could Impact

Tommy Togiai/Jordan Elliott - Neither Togiai or Elliott have made a ton of impact in their roles so far. Elliott, in the last year of his rookie deal, is more expensive and could be the odd man out in favor of Gaines.

How Signing Could Impact the NFL Draft

Given the team’s need, just signing Gaines would have very little impact on what Cleveland does in the draft. If Berry goes after multiple players at the position, it could change but Gaines, by himself, would be a piece of the puzzle but a DT in the second or third round would still be likely.

Priority

Medium – Low - Gaines is an interesting player that could be helpful for the right price but may not be a big enough impact to become a higher priority. If the price is right, Gaines is a player that Berry might try to snatch up quickly with a team-friendly structured deal instead of fighting it out for bigger-named, bigger contract players.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2023/...9RxjvcfvCZGOG1Mkj-nyqppiY0jSyJwTtSNr9vJM

As I had mentioned in my previous post, he's not a world beater but upgrades need to be made at all levels on the interior of the DL. He would certainly provide that at a minimal cost.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I really am not high on the FA WRs this year. So many of them have big question marks. Staying healthy is one of the biggest ones w/many of them.

Tyler Scott is a guy that Milk and maybe another poster brought up before. He was mocked to us in one mock draft I viewed. Here is a player profile about him that I like because it is very balanced. Talks about his strengths and concerns.

Tyler Scott, WR, Cincinnati | NFL Draft Scouting Report

Cincinnati WR Tyler Scott is a sleeper in the 2023 NFL Draft, but as an expected NFL Combine standout, it's only a matter of time before he's a household name.

Ian Cummings
February 18, 2023

Cincinnati WR Tyler Scott doesn’t always get the buzz you’d expect from an early declare, but he has the 2023 NFL Draft scouting report to go off the board early this April. Here’s more on Scott, what’s led him to this point, and what his film does for his projection.

Tyler Scott NFL Draft Profile
Position: Wide Receiver
School: Cincinnati
Current Year: Junior
Height/Weight: 5’11”, 185 pounds
Length: TBD
Wingspan: TBD
Hand: TBD

Numbers have been, and will continue to be, fairly kind to Scott. They were in high school, when the three-star athlete recruit ran for 44 touchdowns across his final two seasons and added three more scores as a kick returner.

They were kind in 2021, when Scott broke out with 520 yards and five touchdowns on 30 catches. And they were kind in 2022, when Scott upped the ante and went for 899 yards and nine touchdowns on 54 receptions, averaging 16.6 yards per catch.

Even with the production in mind, Scott’s unconfirmed numbers are even more impressive. He’s reportedly clocked a 4.29 40-yard dash, and there’s a definite speed element to his game that’s confirmed by the tape.

Scott is dynamic and versatile, and he did his best work after a notable QB change for the Cincinnati Bearcats. On the surface, his profile brings plenty to like. Taking a deep dive into the tape, let’s see what else he brings to the table.

Tyler Scott Scouting Report

Strengths

Explosive athlete who carries sudden burst out of cuts and can stretch seams downfield.
Incredibly twitchy run-after-catch threat with impressive energy and foot speed.
Has the short-area agility and body control to stop on a dime and swivel free from DBs.
Has a unique brand of long-strider speed for his size, which he uses to attack space.
Tracks the ball in the air with predator-like precision and effortlessly adjusts.
Can extend beyond his frame, rise vertically, and snare high passes with authority.
Has elite hand-eye coordination and precise timing when extending for passes.
Hands are very reliable and naturally flow to the ball, even in contested situations.
Has shown he can press into stems and use stride variations to offset DBs.
Able to use his speed to manipulate blind spots and create space on quick outs.

Areas for Improvement

Has a noticeably lean frame with an average catch radius.
Has excellent long speed, but isn’t always the breakaway threat that’s advertised.
Doesn’t quite have elite deceleration ability and sink on comeback routes.
Sometimes veers around as he’s decelerating and can be sharper at stems.
At times, can better accelerate and press into stems, to bait DBs upfield.
Can be easily interrupted and swayed by physicality out of releases.
Expectedly struggles to sustain blocks in the run game with slight frame.
Hand strength and composure decrease over the middle of the field.
Speed gave him free releases often in college, minimizing press experience.

Cincinnati WR Tyler Scott’s Current Draft Projection
Scott’s grade lands him in the top 75 on my board and places him as one of the top 12 wide receiver prospects in the 2023 NFL Draft. One of the more under-the-radar early declares this cycle, Scott should emerge as the process unfolds and ultimately take home Day 2 capital.

Scott fits the modern mold of the NFL wide receiver with his athletic tools. At 5’11”, 185 pounds, he’s an elite accelerator with devastating twitch and suddenness in small areas. The twitchiest receivers make it look easy and effortless to offset DBs and accelerate out of cuts, and that’s what Scott does.

On top of his burst and agility, Scott also has high-level catching instincts. He’s one of the best receivers — not just smaller receivers — in the class at tracking the ball, coordinating, rising vertically, and timing his hands to secure passes. Even against tight coverage, he can maintain composure. That, along with his track speed, makes him a truly dangerous downfield threat.

Scott falls within a similar category of WR to fellow prospects like Josh Downs, Zay Flowers, and Jordan Addison. What keeps him from rising to their level on the board? Most notably, Scott isn’t quite as refined or consistent when it comes to maximizing his tools as a route runner. He can also be fazed by contact, both out of stems and over the middle of the field.

All that aside, Scott has one of the best combinations of dynamic athleticism and natural catching ability in the class, and that’s a mixture that should grant him early and frequent success in a space-dominated NFL, if utilized correctly.

Scott may need to acclimate early on, as his struggles with physicality could be magnified without elite efficiency as a separator or expansive press experience. But there’s no replacement for speed. Scott has that speed, both in the deep third and as a short-area mover. That, combined with his ability to rise vertically and snare passes, gives him impact starter upside and versatility early on.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/tyler-scott-wr-cincinnati-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2023/

1 member likes this: Milk Man
M
Legend
Legend
M
I'm biased as Tyler Scott is from me alma mater. I want him to do well, but Im not so sure.

Dane Brugler labeled him akin to Tyler Lockett, so we'll see.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I watched part of one Bearcat game this year, so I know next to nothing about him. I just saw him mocked to us and I remember Milk bringing him up. You may have, also. I thought the player profile seemed pretty comprehensive. I would love to hear more if anyone has watched him play.

Legend
Legend
Every draft season I look at what number our first pick is and try to find a guy I really like.

I consider position but place emphasis on the player. We know where we need improvements.

DL either position. Receiver. I am adding safety because Harrison is gone. They may cut JJ3. That leaves Delpit.

Delpit is kind of Hybrid. He showed some improvement but he is a great cover safety. He may have a different role under Schwartz.

I love this safety from Texas A&M. Antonio Johnson. He has played in the slot and been moved to safety as well. Watch his tape this guy is a missile with great length.

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Antonio-Johnson-DB-TexasAANDM

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Off-season upgrades

Link Copied to Clipboard