Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
V
Legend
Legend
V
Was DPJ a value pick? I believe he was a 6th round pick.

Legend
Legend
IMO Wills is the type of case where you dig deep. But the way to do that is rely upon the experience you have within your staff.

Your point is valid. His 5th year option is by no means automatic.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I think DPJ is progressing upward. But he still hasn't had
A 1000 yd season yet or a even yet a game where I've
Seen him totally take over and dominate.
DPJ is a solid piece but he isn't a game changer
Berry needs game changers
The margins in the NFL are very very thin.
Look the playoffs and SB.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by steve0255
I wasn't directing at you at all. I have no issue with your posts - in fact, I find them informative.

About Wills - please read the whole post. I didn't say in this post that we give up on Wills. I said that rewarding him with a 5th year option considering his play to this point has not warranted a 5th year option. It was also my opinion that after 2023, the Browns would have several more options in dealing with Wills (good or bad) that are totally eliminated without a huge cost if the Browns give him a guaranteed 5th year option before he even plays a down in 2023 after 3 less than stellar years. Wills is a 1st round draft pick and the Browns should expect more than what they have received from him to this point. Rewarding him with a fully guaranteed 5th year option for his level of performance by a 1st round pick in my opinion is a bad decision by the Browns when there's other better options in dealing with his future in Cleveland.

That ^ opinion is about 2024...not 2023.

If one thinks Wills is good, bad or indifferent...^ makes sense.

If one thinks Callahan is a master of development...^ makes sense.

If one thinks Berry is a genius an idiot or in-between...^ makes sense.

If one wants to roll with Wills...^ makes sense.

If one wants to eventually cut Wills...^ makes sense.

I don't get the arguing here...not that I am always innocent of ever senselessly arguing. naughtydevil

Repeat: That ^ opinion is about 2024...not 2023.

That said, I do not understand why they picked up the 5th year option. That doesn't mean I want to cut Wills...that doesn't mean Berry is an idiot...that doesn't mean Callahan isn't a genius.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper

DPJ is a good guy...his is a great story...he catches most everything...he cannot get separation...he would be a #4 or #5 on the Bengals...he is a #2 ONLY in OUR WR room. I'd love to see him alongside Cooper...a real #2...and Njoku.

Legend
Legend
This is not an attack on your point of view.

However, trying to judge the passion of a player without direct experience is likely not accurate. You can not see what a player is doing daily.

No team or draft picks are the same.

From the fourth round on down the percentage of plays started in the players first five years in the NFL goes down from 6.3 %.

67.5 % in the first.

33.8 in the second.

36.3 in the third.

6.3 in the fourth

So, obviously the round drafted is an indicator if you start. That does not mean starters are not found late. It just does not happen often.

I think you hope guys in the first two rounds will start. The third round can depend upon position. Centers, Guards, Linebackers, Backs, and Safety's could be top five players at their position. Plus you may have a hole to be filled and will plug a rookie in there from necessity.

The draft is far from a sure thing. Hall of Fame GM's have blown the first pick in the draft. Bobby Beathard selected Ryan Leaf over Peyton.

Belichick has blown many draft picks.

Sometimes patience pays off. Sometimes you have to cut bait quick. Remember Trent Richardson?

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by WSU Willie

DPJ is a good guy...his is a great story...he catches most everything...he cannot get separation...he would be a #4 or #5 on the Bengals...he is a #2 ONLY in OUR WR room. I'd love to see him alongside Cooper...a real #2...and Njoku.
He should be targeted more in the red zone
He is big has the best hands of any WR in the AFC.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by bonefish
This is not an attack on your point of view.

However, trying to judge the passion of a player without direct experience is likely not accurate. You can not see what a player is doing daily.

No team or draft picks are the same.

From the fourth round on down the percentage of plays started in the players first five years in the NFL goes down from 6.3 %.

67.5 % in the first.

33.8 in the second.

36.3 in the third.

6.3 in the fourth

So, obviously the round drafted is an indicator if you start. That does not mean starters are not found late. It just does not happen often.

I think you hope guys in the first two rounds will start. The third round can depend upon position. Centers, Guards, Linebackers, Backs, and Safety's could be top five players at their position. Plus you may have a hole to be filled and will plug a rookie in there from necessity.

The draft is far from a sure thing. Hall of Fame GM's have blown the first pick in the draft. Bobby Beathard selected Ryan Leaf over Peyton.

Belichick has blown many draft picks.

Sometimes patience pays off. Sometimes you have to cut bait quick. Remember Trent Richardson?
Agreed all accounts and points you made.
But I still think Wills passion for the game is very debatable

V
Legend
Legend
V
Another take on Wills:

Insider: Browns happy with Jedrick Wills' progress, team likely to pick up fifth-year option

Jacob Roach
February 22, 2023 11:15 am ET

All NFL teams must decide on 2020 first-round picks and their fifth-year option by May first. The first-round pick of the Cleveland Browns that year was Jedrick Wills at number 10 overall, so a decision will be made on his future this offseason. Cleveland.com’s Mary Kay Cabot believes that the team is happy with the direction that Wills is trending in and that they will exercise the option.

“This year, it’s left tackle Jedrick Wills Jr.’s turn, their No. 10 overall pick that year. The Browns were pleased with Wills’ progress in 2022 and will likely pick up the option for 2024. It’s $14.175 million — fully guaranteed when exercised — unless they negotiate a multi-year deal.”

“This year, it’s left tackle Jedrick Wills Jr.’s turn, their No. 10 overall pick that year. The Browns were pleased with Wills’ progress in 2022 and will likely pick up the option for 2024. It’s $14.175 million — fully guaranteed when exercised — unless they negotiate a multi-year deal.”

The fan base seems to be split over this decision with people wanting him gone and others wanting him retained. Overall this is the right decision because as far as salaries go for left tackles this isn’t that high. Wills has been mostly average with spikes below and above but there is no denying he has the talent to be a great player if he consistently puts it all together.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/202...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

The salaries for LTs has to be considered. So does Wills' inconsistent effort/play. This is just my opinion, but I would stick w/the guy, at least for now. The part about negotiating a multi-year deal is interesting. Not sure if the Browns want to go there yet.

Legend
Legend
In some ways the Wills situation reminds me of Njoku.

Both were first rounders and both were very young. Njoku was one of the worst blockers I have ever seen in the NFL. He has developed in a very good blocking TE.

I have no crystal ball for Wills. A lot of people including Joe Thomas said grace over Wills when he was drafted. He has been inconsistent. Joe has made statements about Wills needing to be consistent.

Young guys like Wills have to learn how to do that. How to play even when not 100%.

What we as fans do not see is his work ethic. We don't know how bad he wants to be good. We can look to Callahan and ask does he have great potential?

The staff knows Wills. So, we shall see how he plays.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think this article is relevant to the recent discussion on this thread.

Beyond free agency: Browns must get leap out of young talent already on the roster

Cory Kinnan
February 22, 2023 12:00 pm ET

With little doubt, the Cleveland Browns have to capitalize this offseason to improve their roster, specifically on the defensive side of the football. Both through free agency and the 2023 NFL Draft, the Browns have an opportunity to add talent, both veterans and rookies, to their roster as they look to scratch and claw back to the playoffs in 2023.

However, beyond the players they may look to add to their roster this offseason, a bigger question mark and priority for the Browns will be the development of the young players already on their roster. They got a great rookie season out of rookie cornerback Martin Emerson Jr., second-year players Greg Newsome II (even while playing out of position) and Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah continued to flash, but the Browns need more from their youngsters on rookie contracts to capitalize on their window.

The Browns need to overhaul their defensive line. This is no secret to anyone who was even a bystander to Cleveland football last year. However, if they can get progression out of the likes of Alex Wright, Perrion Winfrey, and Isaiah Thomas in their defensive trenches, this will go a long way toward solidifying that unit long-term.

At this point, the Browns cannot afford to go into the 2023 season banking on the development of Wright, Winfrey, and Thomas along their defensive line. However, as they inevitably sign a few veterans this offseason in free agency, having the ability to sign them to just one-year deals as a stopgap would do wonders for their books as their cap number will continue to shrink into the future.

As Jim Schwartz now takes over as the defensive coordinator, and as these young players will get new position coaches this season, there is a hope that a new perspective and angle in coaching can jumpstart the development of the underachieving youngsters. This is a premise of the Browns’ age guardrail: draft young players so you have more time to develop. But this hinges on the coaching staff’s ability to develop.

Free agency is important. The NFL Draft is important. But being able to rely on their young players beyond 2023 to take over significant roles will be the biggest key to the long-term health of the Browns’ roster. And hopefully, the changes in leadership on the coaching staff can shock new life into these key pieces.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/202...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

M
Legend
Legend
M

Cory clearly peruses Dawgtalkers.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think there is a lot to consider when it comes to Wills. First the Browns have no 1st round draft picks for years. Hopefully the Browns will do no worse than middle of the pack in terms of W's so that would leave you with a mid second round pick to address the LT position at best in the draft. At that point in the draft at a position highly valued and in high demand, the odds of drafting an upgrade to Wills would be a high risk proposition.

Better players at the position in the FA market would cost a boatload more than that 5th year money. And last but certainly not least Browns fans were so spoiled by Joe Thomas being here, that as you mentioned, they've forgotten what not having a legitimate LT looks like.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
2 members like this: bonefish, FATE
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

Cory clearly peruses Dawgtalkers.

Well whoever has the pulse on team building philosophy I wish they would start allowing them to make the decisions for a change.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Who can forget Barry Stokes? Logan Thomas? LJ Shelton? Ross Verba [although he was a good guard at one time?] Roman Oben? Kevin Schaffer?

P
Legend
Legend
P
I can't forget them. And I've tried VERY hard to forget them. Those are things that nightmares are made of.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You're 100% correct except Beathard did not select Leaf over Manning. The Colts had the #1 pick overall and selected Manning. Manning wasn't even available for Beathard to select. The next QB selected was Charlie Batch in the 2nd round with the 60th pick.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
Legend
Your right. I remembered incorrectly.

I thought the Chargers picked first.

Anyway he still screwed up and was a great GM.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

61 catches for 839 this year with Cooperas the primary is really good. Especially, for a 6th round pick.

I would expect him to get his 1k in 2023.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

61 catches for 839 this year with Cooperas the primary is really good. Especially, for a 6th round pick.

Should come close.

I don't think we're drafting a WR at #42... Our next pick is basically a high 4th (98), probably not a "game-changer" there.

It will be interesting to see how we compliment Coop and DJP through free agency. I do think they've been very productive. DPJ's 839 is nothing to sneeze at in an offense that was 23rd in passing yards and 6th in rushing.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F

I agree he has been a solid player, especially when considering he was a 6th rounder. Not sure what fans expect from a player drafted that low. And I say this as a Buckeye suppprter who hates the Wolverines.

1 member likes this: superbowldogg
O
Legend
Legend
O

Wills is a serviceable left tackle, but we need to take one in the draft IMO. A pure LT as late as the 3rd because we're in "this sucks" time with little draft capital.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg

Wills is a serviceable left tackle, but we need to take one in the draft IMO. A pure LT as late as the 3rd because we're in "this sucks" time with little draft capital.

I agree. The way QC talks about Berry drafting... it is highly likely they will draft both a LT/LG in the draft late in the draft.

Hopefully, Wills make huge leaps this year. if he improves 20%... I think we will keep him longer.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Oh, does he think Bitonio is out? I quit watching him over the Baker/Odell/Watson banter back when it was a hot topic. He pissed me off. I should start watching him again. He has good football insight and is better on the browns than most of the big company talking heads. And I'm pretty much over all of that now. I still love Baker, though, and wish him well.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 02/22/23 09:51 PM.

T
Legend
Legend
T
They already did take a pure left tackle in a third round, from U. of Cincinnati.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Oh, does he think Bitonio is out? I quit watching him over the Baker/Odell/Watson banter back when it was a hot topic. He pissed me off. I should start watching him again. He has good football insight and is better on the browns than most of the big company talking heads. And I'm pretty much over all of that now. I still love Baker, though, and wish him well.

this will probably knock your socks off. Lots of fantastic info in here from the cap to how Berry drafts.

I laughed at ... Berry is going to wait to restructure Watson until after the Ravens have to franchise tag him... just to stick it to Baltimore a little more.

Berry is playing chess on 12 different boards at once.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
They already did take a pure left tackle in a third round, from U. of Cincinnati.

Wouldn't it be something if they could coach up Hudson to start at LT and be better than Wills? I can't imagine that Bill Callahan didn't test that possibility. But Hudson IS going into his third year, so maybe he could make the move to starting LT, but I seriously doubt it. Again, I'm sure this has all been discussed by now, and I bet we're looking for the next LT. We might have to pick up Wills's 5th-year option at $14,175,000.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
George M. Thomas, Akron Beacon Journal
Thu, February 23, 2023 at 11:44 AM EST

Browns fans should be prepared for the parade to come as the NFL’s season of financial jockeying is upon the football world.

In short: players will be released in moves to save salary cap space, and likely some at positions of need for the Browns. Someone like veteran wide receiver Robert Woods, who was cut by the Tennessee Titans and exited Nashville with one word on Twitter: “Free.”

But is he someone general manager Andrew Berry should consider? Salary cap issues might preclude it given that the Browns are more than $15 million in the hole in that regard, but they’ve not really done their own maneuvering and they have 22 free agents of their own.

But would someone like Woods be that player? He'll be 31 by the time the season starts and only accounted for 53 receptions for 527 yards and two touchdowns last season.

He’s certainly not going to command the more than $16 million he made with the Titans, which saved $12 million in cap space by releasing him, according to reports. Additionally, there are younger and more productive options available at the position.

Amari Cooper and Donovan Peoples-Jones are ensconced in the top spots for the Browns, but the team’s receiver corps is questionable beyond them. There’s certainly a need, but Woods may not be the best answer.

Given that before the league gets into full pare down mode there are 64 free agent wide receivers. Depending how the Browns handle their 22 free agents and cap space, they will have options to explore. One of them — Parris Campbell — even has local ties after playing at Ohio State.

Here’s a list of the Top 10 most productive free agent wide receivers they could consider:

NFL free agent wide receivers the Browns could consider

JuJu Smith-Schuster (78 receptions, 933 yards, 3 TDs)

Jakobi Meyers (67 receptions, 804 yards, 6 TDs)

Allen Lazard (60 receptions, 788 yards, 6 TDs)

Mack Hollins (57 receptions, 690 yards, 4 TDs)

Parris Campbell (57 receptions, 581 yards, 3 TDs)

Richie James (57 receptions, 569 yards, 4 TDs)

Robert Woods (53 receptions, 527 yards, 2 TDs)

Greg Dortch (52 receptions, 467 yards, 2 TDs)

Demarcus Robinson (48 receptions, 458 yards, 2 TDs)

Marvin Jones (46 receptions, 529 yards, 3 TDs)

This article originally appeared on Akron Beacon Journal: Robert Woods could help Browns, as could these free agent receivers

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Is the next Jerry Rice in this group?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/...egacy-bowl-standouts-hbcu-combine-risers

Ranking top HBCU prospects for 2023 NFL draft

7:00 AM ET Jordan Reid

It's a big week for HBCU prospects who could get picked in the 2023 NFL draft. On Monday, 47 players took part in the second annual HBCU combine, where scouts and evaluators from all 32 NFL teams watched workouts at the New Orleans Saints' practice facility. The Black College Football Hall of Fame and NFL teamed up to host the event, which featured on-field testing and drills that follow a similar format to the annual scouting combine in Indianapolis. And this Saturday, 98 players are expected to participate in the HBCU Legacy Bowl (4 p.m. ET, NFL Network) at Tulane University.

Four HBCU players were drafted in last year's NFL draft, tied for the most in ten years. Detroit Lions defensive end James Houston finished his rookie year with eight sacks, and Kansas City Chiefs cornerback Joshua Williams played a pivotal part in the team's Super Bowl title run. How many HBCU alums could get selected -- or make a roster as an undrafted free agent (UDFA) -- this year? Who generated buzz at the combine workouts? Here is an updated look at 15 of the top HBCU prospects for the 2023 draft, including nine who are in New Orleans this week.

1. Isaiah Land, OLB, Florida A&M
HT: 6-foot-3 | WT: 226 pounds | Class: Senior
Projected draft range: Mid-to-late Day 3

A highly productive pass-rusher, Land had his best season in 2021. He finished with 19.5 sacks and earned the Buck Buchanan Award as the FCS Defensive Player of the Year. Land is lanky but has burst, bend and a quick first step out of the starting blocks, which was routinely too much for FCS offensive tackles to handle. He finished last season with 12 tackles for loss and eight sacks over nine games.

We saw him play primarily standup outside linebacker at the Senior Bowl, and that is likely his position at the next level. Dropping into coverage will be an adjustment for him, but he'll mainly be a designated pass-rusher early in his career while he continues to gain weight. For teams seeking immediate help on obvious passing downs, Land could be an added boost.

2. Aubrey Miller Jr., ILB, Jackson State
HT: 6-foot | WT: 229 pounds | Class: Senior

After transferring from Missouri in search of an expanded role, Miller found the perfect landing spot at Jackson State, where he has been the heart and soul of the Tigers. He was primarily the Mike linebacker, but Miller's versatility was on display throughout his career. And he consistently showcased an ability to read, diagnose and attack downhill, proving he's capable of being a three-down player who can also hold up in coverage. Miller was named the SWAC Defensive Player of the Year last season after 117 tackles, 12 tackles for loss, two sacks and five forced fumbles.

I've heard a lot of positive feedback about Miller's game from scouts, and many are surprised that he didn't receive an invite to the NFL combine in Indianapolis. Regardless, he could be an instant-impact player on special teams in the pros while he continues to develop as a linebacker.

3. Mark Evans II, OL, Arkansas-Pine Bluff

4. Shaquan Davis, WR, South Carolina State
HT: 6-foot-4 | WT: 217 pounds | Class: Senior

Davis comes from one of the best NFL pipelines among HBCU schools. South Carolina State has produced Darius Leonard, Javon Hargrave and Cobie Durant -- and Davis appears to be next in line. He was one of the most efficient pass-catchers in the FCS ranks last season, recording 45 catches for 934 yards and 11 touchdowns. He also averaged at least 20 yards per catch in three of his four seasons, showing he can win downfield by using his big frame or pick up chunks of yards after the catch. Davis still needs to improve his route tree and body control in the underneath areas, but he showed progress during the week of practices at the East-West Shrine Game.

5. Jadakis Bonds, WR, Hampton
HT: 6-foot-2 | WT: 205 pounds | Class: Senior
Projected draft range: Late Day 3

A dynamic vertical asset for Hampton, Bonds consistently gains separation behind the third level of the defense and finished his college career with 34 receiving touchdowns. He has the type of speed that forces defensive backs to quickly retreat and panic, but he can also snap his routes off and then create yards after the catch on underneath patterns. His reliable hands were on full display at the East-West Shrine Game practices, including when he came down with a nice one-handed grab during the second day. Teams that miss out on some earlier-round speed options could take a close look at Bonds on Day 3.

6. Keenan Isaac, CB, Alabama State*

7. Darius Hagans, RB, Virginia State*

8. Emanuel Wilson, RB, Fort Valley State*

9. Kemari Averett, TE, Bethune-Cookman*
HT: 6-foot-5 | WT: 260 pounds | Class: Senior
Projected draft range: Late Day 3/UDFA

Averett started his career at Louisville before settling into his own in Daytona Beach, Florida at Bethune-Cookman. He quickly became the go-to target for the Wildcats' offense and finished his two-year stint with 1,333 receiving yards and 17 touchdowns. It has been a long road in the collegiate ranks for the big bodied tight end -- consider that he caught his first career touchdown from Lamar Jackson during the 2017 season.

Averett helped himself during a productive week at the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl, where he showcased body control and strong hands. He has the makings of a depth option early in his pro career, and NFL teams will be intrigued by his red-zone upside.

10. Dallas Daniels, WR, Jackson State
HT: 5-foot-10 | WT: 176 pounds | Class: Senior
Projected draft range: UDFA

Daniels spent two seasons in the junior college ranks (2018 and 2019) before transferring to Western Illinois. He finished 2022 with 61 catches for 657 yards and six touchdowns, lining up in multiple alignments. Despite the limited production, he was one of the biggest standouts at the East-West Shrine Bowl. With strong hands and quick feet in his routes, Daniels could be a slot option for teams as a priority undrafted free agent.

11. Xavier Smith, WR, Florida A&M*
HT: 5-foot-10 | WT: 170 pounds | Class: Senior

Smith is an explosive three-level threat and has spent most of his time out of the slot. I saw him live against FBS competition during the season-opener at North Carolina, when he caught 10 balls for 78 yards. Over the course of his college career, Smith posted 2,893 receiving yards and 25 TDs and provided value as a return specialist. Smith could be a popular priority undrafted free agent target for multiple teams.

After Monday's HBCU combine, one area scout told me, "I thought he easily looked the best of any prospect participating here, and I had him running in the high 4.3s in the 40."

12. Andrew Farmer II, DE, Lane*
HT: 6-foot-3 | WT: 260 pounds | Class: Senior

One of the more productive defenders in the Division II ranks, Farmer capped off an impressive two-year run that included 44 tackles for loss and 17.5 sacks. His game centers around effort, heavy hands and craftiness as a pass-rusher, and he has the burst and finishing ability to overwhelm blockers and close on QBs. Farmer will likely start his career as a designated pass-rusher as he continues to learn how to consistently play the run, but his production will definitely intrigue teams.

13. De'Jahn Warren, CB, Jackson State*

14. Joshua Pryor, DE, Bowie State*
HT: 6-foot-3 | WT: 240 pounds | Class: Senior

Pryor finished his college career with 77 career tackles for loss and 32 sacks. He plays multiple positions along the defensive line but is best projected to be a base defensive end in a 4-3 defense at the next level. His weight has fluctuated over the past few years, and scouts want to see his number stabilize as he enters an NFL strength and conditioning program. But his ability to generate pressure has remained constant during his time in the CIAA, and his effort has caught the eye of many scouts.

15. Brandon Barnes-Brown, CB, Fayetteville State*

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
2023 NFL offseason needs: AFC North priorities for Ravens, Bengals, Browns and Steelers ahead of free agency

Could JuJu Smith-Schuster join forces with his former team's biggest rival?

By Bryan DeArdo
Feb 20, 2023 at 5:10 pm ET

Consistency and competition are two words that come to mind regarding the AFC North division. In 2022, the teams finished in the same order that they had in 2021, with the Bengals winning the crown, the Ravens settling for runner-up, the Steelers coming in third and the Browns taking up the rear. Each team went 3-3 in the AFC North in what continues to be one of the best divisions in football.

The division's two best teams played in an epic wild card showdown that was decided by Sam Hubbard's 98-yard fumble return for a score. In what could be a foreshadow of things to come, the Ravens played that game without Lamar Jackson, whose future in Baltimore has and will continue to be a hot-button topic.

They didn't make the playoffs, but the Steelers did go 9-8 while running their streak of non-losing seasons to 19. Pittsburgh went 7-2 down the stretch on the strength of T.J. Watt's return, Minkah Fitzpatrick's All-Pro exploits and Kenny Pickett's improved play during his rookie season. For a 33rd straight year, the Steelers finished ahead of the Browns, who suffered their second straight losing season despite boasting one of the league's best rushing attacks.

With free agency just weeks away, here's a look at the biggest needs for each AFC North team.

Note: Projected cap space is courtesy of Over the Cap.

Baltimore Ravens
Top needs: WR, CB, EDGE, LG, QB
Cap space: $24.3M (9th)
Top draft picks: No. 23, No. 86

Baltimore's first order of business is figuring out the future of Jackson, who could find himself playing elsewhere next season if he and the Ravens do not agree on a long-term deal. The Ravens would surely get a hefty return if they trade him (which would require him getting franchise tagged again), but Baltimore would obviously prefer to keep the former league MVP.

Regardless of what happens at quarterback, the Ravens needs to upgrade their receiving corps. DJ Chark, Allen Lazard and JuJu Smith-Schuster (who Baltimore showed interest in recently) would be solid free agent options.

The Ravens may need to replace possible free agents in cornerbacks Marcus Peters and Kyle Fuller, defensive ends Justin Houston and Jason Pierre-Paul, and starting left guard Ben Powers. Possible free agent options at cornerback include current Eagle James Bradberry and longtime Steeler Cam Sutton. Longtime Colts Matt Pryor, a versatile lineman who played both tackle and guard in Indianapolis, would be a solid addition to the Ravens' offensive line.

Former Brown Jadeveon Clowney and fellow journeyman Yannick Ngakoue are two free agent options at defensive end. Veteran outside backers Elandon Roberts, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, and 33-year-old Melvin Ingram could be summoned to Baltimore once free agency begins.

Cincinnati Bengals
Top needs: S, ILB, OT, CB, RB
Cap space: $35.6M (6th)
Top draft picks: No. 28, No. 60

Each of the Bengals' needs are manageable. Cincinnati drafted Daxton Hill last year in the event that Jessie Bates III departed this offseason. Hill is in line to start, but the Bengals would be wise to bring in a veteran to back him up. The Bengals may also be in the market for a new starting strong safety if Vonn Bell departs this offseason. Duron Harmon, who had two picks and two forced fumbles for the Raiders last year, could be an option here.

There will also be an opening at inside linebacker with the expected departure of Germaine Pratt. Fortunately for Cincinnati, there are several solid options here in free agency that include longtime Buccaneer Lavonte David, former Colt/Brown Anthony Walker Jr. former Steelers first-round pick Devin Bush and former Bills first-round pick Tremaine Edmunds, among others.

The Bengals heavily invested in their offensive line last offseason, and it led to vastly better protection for Joe Burrow before injuries finally caught up to them in the AFC Championship Game. That being said, with La'el Collins coming off an injury and with Jonah Williams entering the final year of his rookie deal, it wouldn't hurt to add to the outside of their offensive line. Andre Dillard, the Eagles' former first-round pick who recently played in the Super Bowl, would be a good free agent fit.

Cornerback isn't a pressing concern, given Cam Taylor-Britt's emergence as a rookie. Eli Apple is a free agent, though, and with Chidobe Awuzie coming off an injury, the Bengals should try to add to this position. If he doesn't re-sign with Minnesota, veteran Patrick Peterson would make sense given he remains a highly productive player who may be willing to take less money to play for a title contender.

The Bengals' high-powered offense may be in need of replenishments at running back. Third-down specialist Samaje Perine is a free agent, and former Pro Bowler Joe Mixon could be a cap casualty. Look for the Bengals to spend a relatively high draft pick on a running back if they part with Mixon. A good free agent option here could be Jamaal Williams, who ran for 17 touchdowns with the Lions last year. This is assuming that Williams doesn't re-sign with Detroit.

Possible free agent options to replace the potential departure of Perine include former Pro Bowler Kareem Hunt, a versatile player who with the Chiefs led the league in rushing during his rookie season.

Cleveland Browns
Team needs: WR, ILB, DT, DE, CB
Cap space: $-13.4M (23rd)
Top draft picks: No. 43

The Browns reportedly plan to open things up next season. Cleveland will likely attack the position in both free agency and in the draft. In a perfect world, the Browns would reunite Deshaun Watson with DeAndre Hopkins, but the Browns don't have the assets to make that happen. Cleveland could, however, try to reunite Watson with two of his other top targets from his Houston days: Will Fuller and Brandin Cooks. Cooks is under contract, though, so the Browns would have to give up something in order to bring him to Cleveland.

Walker is one of several Browns linebackers set to enter free agency. The Browns could try to fill one of those openings with Bush, who had a promising start to his career in Pittsburgh before suffering a serious knee injury in 2020. Bush had a rocky 2021 season but rebounded with a solid 2022 campaign.

Cleveland will have to replace Clowney and fellow starter Taven Bryan assuming Bryan doesn't re-sign. A solid option to replace Bryan could be Khalen Saunders, who won his second ring with the Chiefs after enjoying his best season to date in 2022. Saunders ended his fourth season in the NFL with a sack of Jalen Hurts in the Super Bowl.

Pittsburgh Steelers
Team needs: NT, DE, DT, OT, ILB, CB, WR
Cap space: $81,000 (17th)
Top draft picks: No. 17, No. 32, No. 49

Pittsburgh's inability to stop the run late in the fourth quarter cost them several games during the first half of the 2022 season. The Steelers will undoubtedly address this issue by adding some new blood to their defensive line.

The team will likely try to keep Larry Ogunjobi, who played well in his first season in Pittsburgh. But the Steelers will try to find a true nose tackle after prioritizing other needs in recent years. Look for them to address this need during the draft. Javon Hargrave, a former Steeler who recorded a career-high 11 sacks for the Eagles last year, would be a big addition to Pittsburgh's defensive line if they are willing to spend.

Dan Moore Jr., the Steelers' starting left tackle, continues to show signs of promise. But the Steelers don't have much depth behind him, so it would make sense to either draft or bring in a veteran to back up him and starting RT Chukwuma Okorafor. Don't be surprised to see the Steelers use a considerably high draft pick on this position after using free agency to address the interior of their offensive line last year.

Insider linebacker isn't too much of a concern given that the Steelers can probably re-sign Robert Spillane before the start of free agency. Even if they do that, the Steelers will still add to this area given the fact that Bush has played his last down for the Steelers. Speaking of free agents, the Steelers will need to replace starting cornerback Sutton if he isn't re-signed. Sutton's replacement could be Penn State cornerback Joey Porter Jr. if he is available when the Steelers are on the clock with the 17th overall pick.

The Steelers ended up with the 32nd overall pick after deciding that Chase Claypool was expendable before last year's trade deadline. Pittsburgh made due with Steven Sims replacing Claypool in the starting lineup, so Pittsburgh isn't desperate for a receiver. But they will likely add one via the draft in order to give Pickett another weapon while giving them more options in the event that Diontae Johnson leaves after his new contract expires. Look for receiver to be among the Steelers' first three positions they address during the draft, along with cornerback and offensive tackle.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Another defensive line free agent option is off the board

Jacob Roach
February 25, 2023 8:35 pm ET

The New Orleans Saints are keeping some of their talents from hitting the marking after signing Tanoh Kpassagnon to a contract extension. Kpassagnon was a possible option to be paired with Myles Garrett with the Cleveland Browns next season that is off the table. A role player that was effective as both a pass rusher and a run defender that could have benefited from the attention that Garrett gets.

There are still plenty of options for the Browns to make rebuild their defensive line as the Saints continue to manipulate the cap. The NFL combine starts shortly with free agency to follow as the NFL offseason kicks into full gear.

P
Legend
Legend
P
And that's the thing about trying to project the FA market while discussing signing players well before the FA signing period begins. It's pretty much an exercise in futility. That list won't look anything like it did to begin with. There will be more signings that will change the available choices at all positions before the FA signing period on March 15th.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
No kidding? What a revelation! So, what are we allowed to talk about?

P
Legend
Legend
P
You're allowed to talk about anything you wish. Unlike some I'm not trying to place restrictions on you. I'm just pointing out my opinion on the subject. It appears that's not okay with you. Color me shocked.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
THERE IT IS, another thread hijacking and another shot at a person just making a legitimate post about Pure Football relative to the thread. Another thread hijacked, same attempt to force an agenda, response on cue, and just you being you again!

V
Legend
Legend
V
I'm curious, do we know exactly how the salary cap will affect us in 2025? Is that an exercise in futility, as well?

How about Watson's next contract? Are we sure we know exactly what will happen 4 years from now? That isn't an exercise in futility?

Yet, you and steve spend countless time on those subjects and then dismiss talk about something that is right around the corner as an exercise in futility. You fool almost no one w/your schtick.

T
Legend
Legend
T
With the upgrades not available through player ac@uistion they will have to come from coaching improvements during the games, and since all of those are needed on offense the fact the Browns are staying with the exact offensive staff means they either could have done it before, the improvement, or that we have to believe they will try something new out of the blue.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yet you have option of not reading the post or even better yet ignoring and not responding. Instead, you'd rather attack with your constant negativity because it doesn't meet your personal agenda or your belief that you have been appointed the single member of the thread police. Talking about someone trying to fool the board with their schtick - look in the mirror.

1 member likes this: Jester
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm curious, do we know exactly how the salary cap will affect us in 2025? Is that an exercise in futility, as well?

How about Watson's next contract? Are we sure we know exactly what will happen 4 years from now? That isn't an exercise in futility?

Yet, you and steve spend countless time on those subjects and then dismiss talk about something that is right around the corner as an exercise in futility. You fool almost no one w/your schtick.

The difference is I don't tell you what you should or shouldn't post the way you do to others. I'm not sure what part of this you missed....

You're allowed to talk about anything you wish. Unlike some I'm not trying to place restrictions on you. I'm just pointing out my opinion on the subject.

I guess you are right. Reading is hard. Speaking of your schtick.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
My constant negativity............LMAO!

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Off-season upgrades

Link Copied to Clipboard