Next Thread
Print Thread
#1998907 01/09/23 12:26 PM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Hello. This thread is for those who were unable to watch the game and for those of us who like talking about what actually occurred on the field of play in a specific game. It's not about who should be fired, our ownership, our all-time record, our bruised emotions, etc. Comments can be both positive and negative, but please keep them to things that happened during the game. And yes, I know that we lost the game. No need to remind me.

--Watson struggled again. He did hold the ball too long on many plays. He made a couple of really bad decisions where he forced the ball into tight coverage. He did show off his legs a few times. He also showed some creativity on some plays like the flip he made to Chubb for the TD. Overall, it was a disappointing performance.

--Chubb ran hard and made some nice runs. He didn't carry it much, but we did throw it to him on screens and in the flat on multiple occasions. Long handoffs, so to speak.

--The OL struggled some, but again, Watson was holding the ball too long. Wills makes some stupid penalties.

--I get that folks are complaining about us not running enough and perhaps we should have run the ball more. However, consider that this game was being played after we had been eliminated from the playoffs and it seems to me that we were looking at plays that we either want to use w/Watson in the future or scrap. It is similar to us trying to score at the end of the half when we should have taken a knee. What did we have to lose? Nothing. We were getting extra reps for our 2-minute offense.

--I read on the other thread that we were never in the game at any point. I don't think that is true. We led 7-0 late in the 2nd quarter. The Steelers tied it at 7 w/4:43 in the half. They kicked the go ahead FG w/33 seconds left. We also scored w/a little less than 5 minutes left to make it a one-score game.

--Myles played his ass off. His effort was incredible. I don't think I've ever seen him play the run better than he did yesterday.

--Our LBers who we got off the scrap heap played so much better against the run than our starting LBers ever did. Losing Ragland hurt against their power game.

--Njoku looked good when he got the ball. I am not sure if our WRs were getting open or not because it is hard to tell due to the camera angle, but I wonder if that had something to do w/Watson holding the ball too long? Most of our catches other than one to Cooper were contested.

--I thought the secondary played pretty good. They made some tough catches. Pickett was 13 of 29 for less than 200 yards.

--We did not get much of a pass rush, but when we did the refs negated the sack w/a penalty.

--The biggest story of the day was how good our D was playing only to surrender multiple 3rd and longs. They scored a TD on a play in which it was 3rd and 15. They picked up several first downs on 3rd and 8, 3rd and 9 and 3rd and 10.

--This is not a homer complaint, but that was the worst officiated game of the year. By far. My son and I were texting and he brought it up first. He is a Steeler fan. But man, the number of calls boggled my mind. The officials ruled N. Harris down when it appeared his knee never touched and he got the ball into the end zone. This led to us forcing a fumble and stopping their scoring drive. They called a PI on Fields [#42] when he wasn't even involved in the play. Delpitt wears #22, but he didn't touch the guy. In fact, I was complaining because he was late to help Newsome out. They about ripped Watson's helmet off and the official was staring right at the play and did not call a face mask. Cam Heyward sacks Watson w/out much force and they call Roughing the Passer. Myles had a guy grab the inside of the back of his shoulder pads to prevent a sack and the call is a bogus defensive holding or PI on us. We get a nice pass play or a run for a first down and it's negated by penalty. Ford w/a long KO return and a late flag appears for a hold. The officials stunk for both teams!

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Thanks Vers appreciate your post as I very seldom get to watch the game. I have one question for you. You've watched DW since his return. In your opinion do you think he will get back to the QB he was in Houston?

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Yes, I think so. He has been bad thus far, but that talent just go away. We've seen glimpses of it.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Again I saw a Browns team that after half time looked
Like they were ready to get on the bus back to Berea.
The Steelers know they can bully the Browns , get a few
Extra cheap shots in and get away with it.
Nothing has changed in decades.
Their is no player on the Browns that intimidates the Steelers.

As usual I didn't see very creativity or imagination from
The Browns offense. Stefanski runs and very sterile
And vanilla offense.

The Steelers won in the trenches yesterday.
That's how you beat the Steelers.you punch them
In the face twice as hard.
But everytime the Browns play the Steelers they turn
Into laberdoodle puppies.
Even even Colt McCoy got decapitated, no Browns
Player even The great Joe Thomas didn't dare
Get into Harrisons face

As usual Harrison Bryant was a no show

Legend
Legend
I agree w/the assessment of Watson. He’s Uber talented and you can see it. But boy is he either rusty or slow with his eyes. Maybe both. He really lacks decisiveness.

I think Delpit has improved steadily throughout the year. Carter showed glimpses too, whoever that is haha.

We desperately need more DL talent and depth. Winfrey is the best of the bunch after Myles, but he’s nothing to write home about.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I know the Browns lost. No need to tell me. Just thought I would pass this along because I don't think it is against the rules to point out who played well.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I think that's a fair and accurate recap. You should do one for a season recap from your point of view.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Newsome had a little lull but ended the year strong. He has a nice future

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Much appreciated Vers.

I was surprised Ford didn’t receive any carries for the last game of the season.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Yeah, I thought he might get a few carries. I can relay that once again, he looked good on the kickoff returns. He displays explosiveness and is a straight line KO returner. No dancing. He had a late return negated by a late flag.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
The OL struggled some, but again, Watson was holding the ball too long. Wills makes some stupid penalties.

Wills ranked 3rd (worst OT) in holding penalties... OLine Penalties

How do the Browns sign Wills to a new contract, given the performance he turned in during the 2022 season..?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
I'd use ink and paper, unless there is a new digital format I'm not aware of.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
2 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, Versatile Dog
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
LOL.........I was going to post something similar, but I don't like to be snarky. angel

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Here you go boys..you should get a hoot out of this...

The BROWNS OFFENSIVE LINE LEAD THE NFL IN HOLDING PENALTIES with '28'..for a loss of 263 yds.

https://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty/offensive-holding?year=2022

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mac
Here you go boys..you should get a hoot out of this...

The BROWNS OFFENSIVE LINE LEAD THE NFL IN HOLDING PENALTIES with '28'..for a loss of 263 yds.

https://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty/offensive-holding?year=2022

It's that damned Stefanski play-calling. He needs to put these guys in a position to hide their holding better. Instead, he puts us behind the chains so he can call all his fancy passing plays!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
mac, you will be glad to hear that the Browns OL finished 6th overall in the PFF rankings. We know how much you enjoy seeing good news about the Browns.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted by mac
How do the Browns sign Wills to a new contract, given the performance he turned in during the 2022 season..?

I would say don't... dude's a bum.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Gameday vs Pittsburgh Browns @ Steelers Recap

Link Copied to Clipboard