Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
leadtheway #2003401 02/09/23 05:30 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Or maybe, the right moves just weren't there to make.

Jae Crowder just went for 4 or 5 2nd rounders. Ridiculous. He's not worth that.

It seems like the stupid market exploded, and we weren't willing to be stupid.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
EveDawg #2003410 02/09/23 06:30 PM
Legend
Legend
Should be a good game... Durant won't be starting for the Suns this soon after the trade, so you don't have to worry about him spoiling your party. Have a blast!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: EveDawg
M
Legend
Legend
M
Agree. The Cavs were also interested in Tim Hardaway Jr, but when the Mavs traded away Dinwiddie and Finney-Smith it closed the door on trading Hardaway Jr. Windy discussed this.

L
Legend
Legend
L
we will have to just putt along this season and hope to get some more help in the offseason. Love has been stealing money most of the season, Windler will never play in the NBA, so theres two spots, and one is a max contract we could use elsewhere. We are playing better as of late, but I feel like the second half is when teams make their push and its like garland and mitchell have been worn out already

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
V
Legend
Legend
V
Some of these trades are absolutely crazy. I'm glad the Cavs didn't jump in. They made the trade they needed to before the season.

I'm very happy w/the construction and progress of this team. I have a confession to make. I don't think I ever stated this on the board??? When LeBron left, I thought the Cavs would be a lottery team for 10 plus years. Maybe forever. I was dead wrong. They have done a great job of building this team and I love watching them play. We might not win it all, but we play quality basketball that I find entertaining and easy to root for.

Versatile Dog #2003436 02/09/23 10:43 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
There were a lot of people who hated Altman, because the team didn'timmediately turn back around to being a playoff team. It just amazed me. Did he make mistakes? Probably. However, he has done a magnificent job of rebuilding the base of this team, and not being afraid of making big moves.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

1 member likes this: FATE
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
CAVS playing good tonight, alot of BS calls vs the Cavs, I guess it’s primetime so they gotta try to keep it close

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Richardson Jefferson is an idiot!!!

Frenchy #2003565 02/11/23 12:14 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted by Frenchy

What did he say?

By the way, how about Mobley with an 18 point, 10 rebound 1st half? laugh

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
Legend
Legend
Mobley is growing up right before our eyes. Not sure what Jefferson said but he is a fan of the. Cavs

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Very nice win for the Cavs. I watched the first half and fell asleep midway through the 3rd quarter. We played really well in the parts that I watched. Garland's foul trouble hurt, but the other guys really stepped it up. Mitchell looked like he was moving much better. Mobley was a force as you guys pointed out. Allen was a factor. Okoro is growing and improving as we speak. LeVert excelled on defense and he yet another guy teams have to contend with.

The announcers got on my nerves w/their segments on KD going to the Suns and the Lakers chances. Shut the hell up w/that BS and talk about our game! I feel better after saying that. LOL

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan

What did he say?

By the way, how about Mobley with an 18 point, 10 rebound 1st half? laugh

Can’t remember now, lol, I think it was something about CLE or NO depth, and he said NO by far

Frenchy #2003590 02/11/23 11:42 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Well, our depth is much better now that we have Rubio and Wade back. Both are very useful pieces,along with Osman and Levert. This team is becoming more and more familiar with one another, and that is important.

I wonder if we'll be looking for a big on the buy-out market?

V
Legend
Legend
V
He's not a big, but this rumor is out there and it makes sense because Green is a 3 and D guy. He could provide help to the second unit, especially when Garland or Mitchell are out.

RUMOR: Celtics, Cavs showing ‘great interest’ in Danny Green if he’s bought out by Rockets
Published February 11, 2023, 8:46 AM EST

By Owen Crisafulli · 2 min read

The NBA trade deadline was surprisingly eventful, and even though there are no more trades that will be made throughout the remainder of the season, that doesn’t mean moves are done being made. Now, the attention will switch to the buyout market, which looks likely to have several big names hitting the market. One of the biggest names in that group is sharpshooting wing Danny Green.

Green was dealt to the Houston Rockets at the deadline, and will likely be bought out with Houston not contending this season. Green has only played in three games this season, as he was recovering from a torn ACL and LCL that he suffered last season. But Green’s skillset makes him a desirable buyout candidate, and it sounds like the Boston Celtics have emerged as the frontrunner to land him should he be bought out by the Rockets.

“Danny Green is the interesting player in Houston. I’m told he’d like to waived, just like John Wall is being waived, and not have to do a buyout. Teams like Boston, Cleveland, and Los Angeles have great interest in him.” – Adrian Wojnarowski, ESPN

Green is a strong shooter from behind the arc who can also play strong defense on the wing, which immediately makes him a player teams want on their roster. Green may not be the same player he once was, especially after returning from such a severe injury, but that hasn’t stopped several teams from showing interest in him. Both the Celtics and Cavs would have a good shot at landing Green, and it will be worth keeping an eye on him and seeing where he ends up if he does end up getting released or bought out by the Rockets.

https://clutchpoints.com/nba-rumors-celtics-cavs-great-interest-danny-green-bought-out-rockets

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Good win for the CAVS tonight, legs were tired, took them awhile to get going.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Definitely a "never give up" game, for a team coming off a ridiculous back to back.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, they played 5 games in 7 days and I think the announcer said that the team plane didn't get into Cleveland until 4:30 A.M. It was obvious the guys had dead legs. Allen was having a hard time even walking early in the game. They really gutted out the win. Very impressive.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
GratefulDawg #2003739 02/12/23 02:24 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think that would be a really solid signing. Not sure how healthy he is, but there are times where we struggle to make 3s. It is much more pronounced when we are missing Mitchell or Garland. Also, Green is a really good defender. Again, this would not be a flashy or spectacular signing, but it would be very solid.

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
GratefulDawg #2003746 02/12/23 02:49 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted by GratefulDawg

Well, get'r done. wink

V
Legend
Legend
V
We got the deal done!

Agent: Veteran swingman Danny Green, Cavaliers reach deal

3:03 PM ET
Adrian Wojnarowski
Senior NBA Insider

After finalizing a contract buyout, three-time championship guard Danny Green has agreed with the Cleveland Cavaliers on a $2 million contract for the rest of the season, agent/attorney Raymond Brothers of Roc Nation Sports told ESPN on Sunday.

Green landed with the Houston Rockets in a deadline day deal on Thursday and will join the Cavaliers after clearing waivers early this week.

Cleveland president of basketball operations Koby Altman and coach JB Bickerstaff sold Green on the opportunity that exists to bolster the Cavs' bench as a 3-point shooter and defender. He also will deliver his respected leadership to a gifted young roster trying to make a return and run in the Eastern Conference playoffs.

The Boston Celtics, Los Angeles Lakers and San Antonio Suns also pursued Green, sources said.

Green, 35, brings championships with the San Antonio Spurs, Toronto Raptors and Lakers to Cleveland -- and 165 playoff games in his career. Green played three games for the Memphis Grizzlies after spending eight-plus months rehabilitating a torn ACL. He suffered the knee injury in the Eastern Conference semifinals for the Philadelphia 76ers, who eventually traded him to the Grizzlies.

Memphis moved Green to Houston on Thursday as part of a larger deal with the LA Clippers that landed the Grizzles guard Luke Kennard.

Green has averaged 8.7 points and 3.4 rebounds over 14 seasons.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/35646379/agent-veteran-swingman-danny-green-deal-cavaliers

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My daughter and I had a blast! Twas uncertain for sure in the first 3 QTRS.. then we came rumbling back!

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
Danny Green back haha I had a feeling

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
SaintDawg #2003837 02/13/23 09:58 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Glad you had a great time, Saint.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Cavs w/the seventh straight win last night. The Spurs are rebuilding and stink, but it's important to win these games. We got off to a great start, got careless as time went on, and then closed it out. Mitchell w/a great night. Good to see him moving well again.

Big one at Philly on Wednesday. I believe that will be on ESPN at 7:30.

Legend
Legend
They have been fun to watch, mores during this streak. We are getting more assertive as more players contribute, and overall, I like the defense when it has more hustle and scores off of turnovers. Not happy about The Wilt, usually in the third period where we surrender most or all of any lead we have; sometimes we get the win by frantically digging our way out of our well-dug hole. We are young, and DM is crucial. Wish we could stop more perimeter three pointers, but the ugliest win beats the prettiest loss. Go, Cavs!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Versatile Dog #2003943 02/14/23 11:25 AM
Legend
Legend
I am excited to be able and see that game.

I hardly ever get to see them play. So hell ya yes I want to see them win against the 76'ers.

bonefish #2003945 02/14/23 11:36 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
We have played 4 more games than they have, but we are basically just one game behind them in the standings. Should be a big game.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Horrible 1st half against the Sixers. 36% on FG, 23.5% on 3 PT, and 60% on fre throws. Oh, and they have given up 63 in the 1st half.

Won't win many games like that.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yes, terrible performance for most of the game although we made it close late.

Too many careless turnovers, slow to close out on shooters, not getting the loose balls, out-muscled, poor shooting, etc.

Mitchell scored a lot late, but he sometimes doesn't show up against the best teams.

Allen got pushed around by Embid.

Mobley looked intimidated by Embid.

Okoro couldn't hit open shots.

Garland was the only one who came to play, but even he made a couple of stupid turnovers.

Legend
Legend
Painful to watch. We threw a lot of shots at the backboard. Hit it a couple of times. Some of our folks need a break. Seems to me that this game proves not all these folks should be getting the minutes that they are. Welcome home, Danny!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c…

End of an era. ‘The Stop’ will go down as one of the greatest moments in Cleveland sports.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/35669971/cleveland-cavaliers-cheer-their-own-3-second-calls

Why the Cleveland Cavaliers are cheering for their own defensive 3-second calls

12:27 AM ET

Tim Bontemps ESPN 

PHILADELPHIA -- When Cleveland Cavaliers forward Lamar Stevens was called for a defensive three-second violation -- resulting in a technical foul on Cleveland, and a free throw for the Philadelphia 76ers -- with 3 minutes, 58 seconds to go in the second quarter of Wednesday night's game, Wells Fargo Center was virtually silent as James Harden walked to the line to take the charity shot.
At least, that was the case until Jarrett Allen -- Cleveland's center and defensive anchor -- raised his right fist in the air and screamed, "Yeah!"

Fifty-six seconds later, while Allen guarded 76ers superstar Joel Embiid, forward Evan Mobley shaded over into the paint to help him out -- and he, too, was hit with a defensive three-second call. And, once again, Allen celebrated.
On its face, such an act -- cheering on the opposing team taking a free throw -- doesn't make any sense. The whole point of defense, after all, is to stop the other team from scoring.
For the Cavaliers, though, those defensive three-second violations are a matter of pride. Why? Because it is proof they are staying true to their defensive philosophy to protect the paint at all times -- no matter the cost.
"Our thing is to protect the paint," Allen said with a smile after Philadelphia's 118-112 victory. "We have two bigs in the game at all times, and that's where most of the points are scored. So if we can protect that, we have a good chance.
"So I'm just celebrating that we're doing the defense like we are supposed to."
And -- in defense of both Allen and the Cavaliers -- it's hard to argue with their approach. Cleveland enters the All-Star break with the NBA's best defense, allowing 109.3 points per 100 possessions, a group that's anchored by two of the best and most mobile defensive big men in the league in Allen and Mobley.
Cavaliers coach JB Bickerstaff has made it clear a single defensive three-second call isn't going to change anything -- especially when weighed against the number of opportunities that can be negated by having a rim protector waiting for a scorer at the rim.
"It's something that we've done all year," Bickerstaff said. "We've begged our guys to protect the paint. And we've told them we don't care if we get defensive three seconds because it takes away so many other baskets and attempts."

Jarrett Allen and his Cleveland teammates can be seen celebrating after being called for three-second violations. The reason? It means the Cavaliers are protecting the paint. AP Photo/Matt Slocum
After Wednesday, the Cavaliers broke out of a tie with the Milwaukee Bucks for the most defensive three-second violations in the league.
Perhaps it is a coincidence, but the team that is tucked in behind Cleveland in second place in defensive rating? Yes, it is the Bucks.
Bickerstaff said it is an approach he picked up not only because he has two elite big men in Allen and Mobley, but something he took from the great Celtics defenses led by Kevin Garnett a decade ago.
"The year the Boston Celtics won the championship [2008], Kendrick Perkins led the league with 19 of them," Bickerstaff said.

"So you imagine how many times he was in the paint and they didn't call it. So, in our minds, as we think about it, just stand in the paint. They shoot 19 free throws on the year, they make 14 of them, you give up 14 points, but think about how many you take away. So that's kind of our mentality."
It's one that takes time to get used to.
"I was shocked when I saw everybody's reaction to it the first time," Donovan Mitchell said with a laugh. "I was like, 'What the hell are y'all cheering about?'
"But then I realized it's a sign of our defense starts there. ... No matter how we feel or how we play, always having that in our back pocket, that we have each other's back, it's just a sign, and it's dope."
Mobley, the second-year prodigy who was the No. 3 overall pick in the 2021 NBA draft and the runner-up to Toronto's Scottie Barnes for last year's Rookie of the Year award, admitted it took him a while to adjust to being all right with being penalized.

"A little bit," he said, when asked if it was awkward at first to be OK with being called for it. "But you just got to buy into the system, the defensive system, and just trust the defense.
"It's been a conscious thing since I got here"
Cleveland is on the verge of its first playoff appearance without LeBron James in more than two decades -- and has a real chance to win a playoff series without him for the first time in 30 years. The Cavs are hoping it is their defense, and their willingness to stick to their principles, that will get them there.
"It's been successful," Allen said. "I do still think we have a long way to go. We still have a lot of mishaps, a lot of things we can clean up and a lot of things we can improve on."

1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
Frenchy #2004234 02/16/23 04:59 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/35669971/cleveland-cavaliers-cheer-their-own-3-second-calls

Tim Bontemps ESPN 

PHILADELPHIA -- When Cleveland Cavaliers forward Lamar Stevens was called for a defensive three-second violation -- resulting in a technical foul on Cleveland, and a free throw for the Philadelphia 76ers -- with 3 minutes, 58 seconds to go in the second quarter of Wednesday night's game, Wells Fargo Center was virtually silent as James Harden walked to the line to take the charity shot.
At least, that was the case until Jarrett Allen -- Cleveland's center and defensive anchor -- raised his right fist in the air and screamed, "Yeah!"

Fifty-six seconds later, while Allen guarded 76ers superstar Joel Embiid, forward Evan Mobley shaded over into the paint to help him out -- and he, too, was hit with a defensive three-second call. And, once again, Allen celebrated.
On its face, such an act -- cheering on the opposing team taking a free throw -- doesn't make any sense. The whole point of defense, after all, is to stop the other team from scoring.
For the Cavaliers, though, those defensive three-second violations are a matter of pride. Why? Because it is proof they are staying true to their defensive philosophy to protect the paint at all times -- no matter the cost.
"Our thing is to protect the paint," Allen said with a smile after Philadelphia's 118-112 victory. "We have two bigs in the game at all times, and that's where most of the points are scored. So if we can protect that, we have a good chance.
And -- in defense of both Allen and the Cavaliers -- it's hard to argue with their approach. Cleveland enters the All-Star break with the NBA's best defense, allowing 109.3 points per 100 possessions, a group that's anchored by two of the best and most mobile defensive big men in the league in Allen and Mobley.
Cavaliers coach JB Bickerstaff has made it clear a single defensive three-second call isn't going to change anything -- especially when weighed against the number of opportunities that can be negated by having a rim protector waiting for a scorer at the rim.
"It's something that we've done all year," Bickerstaff said. "We've begged our guys to protect the paint. And we've told them we don't care if we get defensive three seconds because it takes away so many other baskets and attempts."

Jarrett Allen and his Cleveland teammates can be seen celebrating after being called for three-second violations. The reason? It means the Cavaliers are protecting the paint. AP Photo/Matt Slocum
After Wednesday, the Cavaliers broke out of a tie with the Milwaukee Bucks for the most defensive three-second violations in the league.
Perhaps it is a coincidence, but the team that is tucked in behind Cleveland in second place in defensive rating? Yes, it is the Bucks.
Bickerstaff said it is an approach he picked up not only because he has two elite big men in Allen and Mobley, but something he took from the great Celtics defenses led by Kevin Garnett a decade ago.
"The year the Boston Celtics won the championship [2008], Kendrick Perkins led the league with 19 of them," Bickerstaff said.

"So you imagine how many times he was in the paint and they didn't call it. So, in our minds, as we think about it, just stand in the paint. They shoot 19 free throws on the year, they make 14 of them, you give up 14 points, but think about how many you take away. So that's kind of our mentality."
"I was shocked when I saw everybody's reaction to it the first time," Donovan Mitchell said with a laugh. "I was like, 'What the hell are y'all cheering about?'
"But then I realized it's a sign of our defense starts there. ... No matter how we feel or how we play, always having that in our back pocket, that we have each other's back, it's just a sign, and it's dope."
Mobley, the second-year prodigy who was the No. 3 overall pick in the 2021 NBA draft and the runner-up to Toronto's Scottie Barnes for last year's Rookie of the Year award, admitted it took him a while to adjust to being all right with being penalized.

"A little bit," he said, when asked if it was awkward at first to be OK with being called for it. "But you just got to buy into the system, the defensive system, and just trust the defense.
Cleveland is on the verge of its first playoff appearance without LeBron James in more than two decades -- and has a real chance to win a playoff series without him for the first time in 30 years. The Cavs are hoping it is their defense, and their willingness to stick to their principles, that will get them there.
"It's been successful," Allen said. "I do still think we have a long way to go. We still have a lot of mishaps, a lot of things we can clean up and a lot of things we can improve on."

it was stupid..

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Milk Man #2004235 02/16/23 05:04 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c…

End of an era. ‘The Stop’ will go down as one of the greatest moments in Cleveland sports.

I think too much credit is given to "the stop" it was just a missed shot. Curry makes that shot 8/10 more times with better defense too, it was def. good defense, but Kyries shot and lebrons block were bigger IMO

I think its good they are unloaded Love, 3 years too late imo. Wish they could have found someone willing to trade but that wasn't happening with that horrible contract.. I like Love the whole time he was here but he's not been anything close to a max level player he's paid like. We can use that money elsewhere.

leadtheway #2004324 02/17/23 01:40 PM
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Originally Posted by leadtheway

Tim Bontemps ESPN 

it was stupid..

Stupid or not they have been doing it for about 5 games now, and I’d bet they keep doing it.

Frenchy #2004327 02/17/23 01:56 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think they have been doing it all year.

I don't mind them getting defensive 3 second calls, but I'm not sure it's a good idea to celebrate the calls. LOL

Milk Man #2004450 02/18/23 07:10 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I'm conflicted on how I feel about Love being gone. I understand that his salary was crazy and that he is not giving us enough production to justify that salary. I also understand that he stinks defensively, other than drawing charges.

On the other hand, the guy is an excellent rebounder, very good shooter [more on that in a moment,] and a very good passer. He also fit in well w/this group of players. The Cavs can struggle at times w/outside shooting. Love was shooting well and then suffered the hand injury. He talked about how he had to alter his shot because of the injury. His shooting fell off. But, at some point, one would think his shooting stroke returns. We could miss that.

I suspect that he will land w/a contender. I don't know the salary cap ramifications, but I think the Sixers, Heat, and Lakers all make sense. Maybe the Bucks if they can't get Middleton back??? We'll see.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Cavs/NBA

Link Copied to Clipboard