Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Cavaliers announce intentions to retire Kevin Love's No. 0 jersey - CBSSports.com
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/cavaliers-announce-intentions-to-retire-kevin-loves-no-0-jersey/

The Cleveland Cavaliers and veteran forward Kevin Love completed a buyout on Saturday, and shortly afterward the team revealed that they plan to honor Love by retiring his No. 0 jersey in the future.

"Kevin Love had an outstanding run with the Cavaliers, including memorable on-court moments, four NBA Finals appearances and an NBA Championship in 2016," Cavaliers President of Basketball Operations Koby Altman said in a statement. "Kevin represented the organization and the city of Cleveland with the utmost charm and professionalism during his nine seasons in Northeast Ohio.

"He also embodied everything a franchise would want in a player, and the admiration and gratitude we have for him will ultimately land his jersey in the rafters of Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse. We thank Kevin for his impact and wish him nothing but the best, knowing that he has solidified his place in the hearts of Cavaliers fans and this organization forever."

Love suited up for the Cavs for nine seasons from 2014 to 2023 and played an integral role when the team made four straight NBA Finals appearances from 2015 to 2018 and captured the first championship in franchise history in 2016. He was the last remaining member of that team in Cleveland. He's sixth in franchise history in total rebounds and ninth in total points. As a result, he's definitely deserving of having his jersey raised to the rafters.

Love will become the ninth player to have his number retired by the Cavaliers, joining Bingo Smith (No.7), Zydrunas Ilgauskas (No.11), Larry Nance (No.22), Mark Price (No.25), Austin Carr (No.34), Nate Thurmond (No.42), Brad Daugherty (No.43) and Bill Russell (N0. 6). It's safe to assume that Cleveland will also retire LeBron James' No.23 when his playing days are over.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Thank you Kevin!

<><

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V

jaybird #2004582 02/20/23 11:49 AM
Legend
Legend
Ditto, Kevin. I will always treasure our championship that club won for The Land. Thanks again.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
E
Legend
Legend
E
I will be attending the Cavs v Hawks game tomorrow. I will proudly wear my #0 jersey even though he is no longer with us. He was my favorite Cav.

No Craps Given
EveDawg #2004984 02/23/23 07:23 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Sweet.

EveDawg #2005037 02/24/23 10:12 AM
Legend
Legend
Enjoy, Eve! Should be a good game. Are their live home games fun? I think crowds can make a great experience better.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Tough loss last night. Denver is an excellent team and it was an exciting game, but the Cavs couldn't close. Denver hit shots late. We missed ours.

I thought we played well against Jokic, but he ended up w/a triple double. 24-18-13. Amazing.

Garland was cold from the outside. Mitchel was cold from the outside in the first half. Osman missed open shots.

I think we did a poor job of closing out on 3-pt attempts.

Mobley was a force for the first 3 quarters. He had 31, but did not score in the 4th. Stevens had a nice game off the bench for us.

Bard Dawg #2005062 02/24/23 01:16 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted by Bard Dawg
Enjoy, Eve! Should be a good game. Are their live home games fun? I think crowds can make a great experience better.

Thanks! Their home games are ok. This year has not gone well for the Hawks and they fired their HC the other day. So they aren't selling out seats. Maybe 3/4 full. Their halftime/timeout court activities are pretty good though. They try really hard to be entertaining. I got on dance cam once during the playoffs. Now, the playoffs crowd is amazing. It's absolutely electric. I love it.

Still hoping the Cavs and Hawks play each other in the playoffs.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Would be good match up. I'd watch.

I just assumed with you getting on the dance cam, well, that the numbers would be up and the place would be packed. Counter-intuitive, I guess. Just kidding LOLetc.

1 member likes this: EveDawg
L
Legend
Legend
L
Man this team isn’t very good, you have garland/Mitchell and sometimes Mobley and the. A bunch of JAGs. Okoro is not a starter. Wish we could have done something at deadline

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
L
Legend
Legend
L
Not a single point from our bench and it’s halfway through the second

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
E
Legend
Legend
E
This is all terrible. flamingmad

No Craps Given
EveDawg #2005123 02/25/23 10:22 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Sorry the Cavs played so poorly while you were in attendance.

I don't really agree w/lead that the Cavs are not very good. I think we have a very good team. I think we played like crap last night. Our effort did not match their effort. They ran us out of the gym.

Garland had 33, but played one of his worst overall games. Mitchell was careless w/the ball and could not take over. Mobley played tired. Allen did show up. We could not hit our outside shots. We played too much Iso and did not do a good job of moving the ball. We were slow in transition defense. Probably the worst game we played all year.

I will say that teams usually play really well in their first game after a coach is fired. ATL did just that.

I also have to wonder about how the NBA schedules games. Teams are returning from the All Star break. The Cavs play the top team in the West on Thursday night where they expended a ton of energy in a highly competitive game. They have to fly to Atlanta to play the Hawks who were off on Thursday night. What kinda BS is that? It seems like they could have massaged the schedule a bit to ensure that the game was a bit more fair in regards to a competitive match-up.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Nice game by the Cavs tonight.

We were 0 and 3 against them this season. They play bully ball. They pretty much commit offensive fals on about 70% of their drives. They do it all the time, so no calls. We stood up to them physically for the most part and ran the ball down their throats quite a bit.

Some observatons:

Garland was hot early and set the tone. What a great passer he is.

Mitchell missed early and then he was on fire. The flagrant foul was bogus in my mind. That is a natural bb move. You are jumping off one leg while attacking the rim. The other knee goes up. Bad call, but it pissed Mitchell off and he went OFF!

Allen w/a really productive game.

Mobley is so long. Blocks on one end. Dunks on the other. I do wish he would stop dribbling up the court though and give it to a guard and then run the freaking floor.

Why didn't Osman play?

Rubio was off.

Danny Green is playing on one leg.

Good win that we pretty much needed.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Yeah I think rubio doesn't have much left.. Funny you mention that about green, you can tell he moves like a man 10 years older than that. I don't think he's going to give us anythingq. I was glad to see Mitchell use that weak ass flagrant foul called by refs who obviously never played before as a spark.. We've missed that for years on this team.. Mitchell didn't bitch and moan, he said ok..you want the smoke. I still think our bench is going to be the death of us. We get nothing from them.. I like the idea of having garland or mitchell with that second unit, because we have zero scoring without it. Dean wade...ugh. One thing I struggle with with this team, is get back points.. Like we will go down, hit a three and then the other team immediate comes back next possession and gets one of their own.. It happens too much for my liking. But we turned it on defensively as a collective after the first few minutes of the 3rd and just broke them.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
leadtheway #2005322 02/27/23 09:50 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I like the idea of having garland or mitchell with that second unit, because we have zero scoring without it.

That's a really good point.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Tough game against the Celtics last night. We hung w/them early and had the lead at times. They came out smoking in the 3rd and had a lead of around 20. I was pretty disgusted, but we did fight back and made a game out of it.

Some thoughts:

Mitchell started off bad, but he showed the heart of a lion in the second half. He got hurt, but stayed in the game and played almost all of the entire second half. He went bonkers and ended up w/around 44 or 45.

Garland had it going early and finished w/29 and 9 assists.

Those two were pretty much a 2-man show.

Mobley had a double/double, but we needed more from him in the paint.

Allen played uninspired basketball. Very disappointed in his effort last night. Looked like he backed down.

LeVert was okay. He played hard. He's just inconsistent at shooting the ball.

Wade sucks! Dude played over 15 min. and had 0 pts and 1 rebound. Really?

Boston is very deep compared to us. We need more guys to contribute.

Versatile Dog #2005771 03/02/23 03:15 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
The Cavs bench has been abysmal.

which leads to this....

Milk Man #2005775 03/02/23 04:07 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Abysmal is a very good description of the Cavs bench.

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
Legend
V
Watched the Cavs beat the Pistons the other night. That was expected. Hell, Detroit had 14 or 15 turnovers in the first half alone.

I want to comment on the bench because it's been a topic of conversation all year long. Milk's recent post highlighted our issues. Since we did not make a trade before the deadline, I think it would be a good idea to give some of these guys significant minutes. We saw Osman, Green, Stevens, etc on the floor the other night. I'd play them a lot and see if we can get at least one of these guys going. I say that because we need at least one more player to be competitive in the playoffs.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Cavaliers with a tough win over the Celtics, 118-114.
Cavs with 3 double doubles, Mitchell, Mobley, and Garland.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
L
Legend
Legend
L
it was a win, though when you need overtime to beat a team missing 3 starters, shows you how deep they are and how bad we are with depth.. it would be like Mitchell, garland, and mobley not playing...anyone want to guess that outcome? Bench will be what costs us this year.. I really hope Altman is aggressive this offseason.. we have a window of about 3 years I think right now. We got the big pieces I think, and I think JB is good enough, he's not great, but he's got the teams trust and that says alot. We just need people that can contribute, not a single person on this bench I would trust to win a game. Its been a topic all season and thats why it was disheartening to see us do nothing at the deadline except sign a 90 year old danny green on one knee. People says there weren't deals out there but it seemed like alot more players moving than normal.. Mitchell is the star on this team, the team goes as he goes, and he's usually pretty consistent, garland is for the most part as well. Mobley/Allen is our big ??? Today Mobley was hot and Allen got manhandled and couldn't get anything going, other nights its the opposite... We are at our best when both are getting double double. Season winding down quick.. It will be nice to see a non-lebron Cavs team in the playoffs. Maybe get over that hump as the first step for contention.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Disappointing performance from the Cavs. They played like they were going to stomp them w/out trying because the Celtics had 3 starters out. They fell behind by double digits and got to OT because the Celtics missed two free throws at the end of regulation.

Mitchell is a dynamic player, but he's becoming a bit of a ball hog. Too many times he is hoisting up difficult shots when he has teammates wide open.

Versatile Dog #2006224 03/07/23 01:29 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
Legend
V
Nice win on the road last night. It was a hard fought game, just as it always is against Miami. Garland had a really nice night, but did have a couple of careless turnovers late. Mitchell made some big hoops, but went one on five too often. Mobley w/some nice blocks and Allen did good on the boards. Okoro hit a few nice 3s. LeVert was active, especially defensively, off the bench.

A couple of bigger picture thoughts:

--I wish Bickerstaff would go w/a 9 man rotation in some of these bigger games. We will need another guy to step up in the playoffs. Now is the time to get them minutes.

--We need to move the ball better at times. There are too many times when Mitchell dominates the ball for the entire shot clock. That's not good basketball.

--We stay in Miami today and play the Heat again tomorrow night. There is a thing sometimes referred to as the South Beach flu. I'm curious about how much energy we will have tomorrow night after spending two straight nights in Miami.

Legend
Legend

Report: Cavs concerned Jarrett Allen could miss time due to ‘pretty messed up’ eye
By Brad Sullivan

Cleveland Cavaliers center Jarrett Allen’s departure from the team’s Friday night game was described in negative terms after the contest.

Chris Fedor of Cleveland.com quoted an unnamed source who offered a blunt opinion of Allen’s injury.

“His eye got pretty messed up,” a source said.

Fedor added that “there’s initial worry about some kind of an absence, which comes at an inopportune time.”

The injury to Allen took place with less than four minutes left in the Cavaliers’ road matchup against the Miami Heat, a contest the Heat won by a 119-115 score.

After a missed 3-pointer by Cavs guard Ricky Rubio, Allen made an effort to grab the rebound. While battling for the ball, Allen’s right eye was hit by the Heat’s Bam Adebayo,

Allen immediately fell to the court, with the Cavaliers’ medical staff quickly checking out the big man. Officials looked into a possible flagrant foul call on Adebayo before ultimately simply assessing Adebayo a loose ball foul.

Exactly how “messed up” Allen’s right eye is remains a mystery. After the game, Cavaliers head coach J. B. Bickerstaff had no further update,

Losing Allen for any extended period, especially at this time of the season, would be a huge blow to the Cavaliers, who dropped to 42-27 after the loss. With just 13 games left in the regular season, the Cavs are seeking to hold on to their current position of having home-court advantage for at least the team’s first round playoff series.

Allen has been a central component in the Cavaliers’ strong defense this season. The team is currently in a three-way tie for the NBA’s best defensive rating with the Milwaukee Bucks and Memphis Grizzlies.

On the year, Allen has been effective on both sides of the ball. In 62 games, he’s averaged 14.4 points, 9.8 rebounds, 1.7 assists and 1.2 blocks per contest.

The injury to Allen no doubt brings back unpleasant memories of last season, when a finger injury forced Allen out of the final 18 regular season games for the Cavaliers.

At the time of Allen’s injury last year, the Cavaliers looked to be in position to compete in the postseason for the first time since 2018. Instead, they were relegated to the play-in portion of the schedule, where they lost two consecutive games to end their season.
https://cavaliersnation.com/2023/03...d-miss-time-due-to-pretty-messed-up-eye/

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 03/11/23 12:53 PM.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
It took a huge 4th quarter, but we finally overcame the Hornets and did it w/out Allen.

My wife and I are going to Charlotte to watch the Cavs play tomorrow night. We will be a few rows up from the Cavs bench. I'll have to restrain her from getting too crazy.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Attended the game tonight against the Hornets. Made the 1.5 hr. trip to Charlotte from Columbia. There was a wreck on 77, so it actually took longer but we left early.

Mitchell did not play. He did an extended shooting workout before the game. So, it was load management. We paid a ton of money for the tickets. They were right behind the Cavs bench. Parking was another $25, beers were over $10 w/tax and tip. Kinda sucks when guys take the night off when they are healthy. When you drop over $1,200, you wanna see the stars play.

Allen was out, but his issue was a real injury.

Anyway, the game was great! Got to talk to Rubin Patterson, a former NBA player. Got pics w/Anderson Varejao, and got another of him and Garland. There were a ton of Cav fans in the arena. We were louder than the Hornet fans. LOL

A few quick observations:

--You have no idea how freaking quick Garland is. It's one thing on TV. It's another when you see him live. Amazing.

--Another really quick guy is LeVert. Man, he can bend real low and is so quick in the passing lanes. He had multiple steals.

--Mobley had 2 quick fouls, but he was dominant in the 3rd when we opened up a huge lead.

--Osman had a terrific game. The guys on the bench were going nuts when he was draining shots.

--Why is D. Wade on the team? I think he had between 15 and 20 minutes, 0 pts, 0 rebounds, and at least 2 fouls. That was a serious question. What's he supposed to be good at? Shooting? I haven't seen it.

--Kelly Oubre [sp?] is a pretty good player for them. Rozier makes really tough shots.

--There were some attractive women there. Not that I was looking.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Im glad you got to go and they won for you! Going to games is so much fun. I was at the Hawks game yesterday and met some people who came all the way from Minnesota to root on their Timberwolves (who won).

No Craps Given
EveDawg #2007621 03/15/23 12:19 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Wow! That's crazy.

Charlotte's arena is nice. Right down town and building is really nice. Getting food and drinks in the club seats was a breeze. The atmosphere was cool. How is ATL's arena and experience?

Versatile Dog #2007622 03/15/23 12:26 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
State Farm Arena has some really nice clubs. The buffet goes from average to excellent depending which one youre in. I will see if I can post some pictures.

Edit: My phone isnt cooperating. Oh well.

No Craps Given
EveDawg #2007624 03/15/23 12:33 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks. I might have to make the trip one day. ATL is not that far.

E
Legend
Legend
E
jc

Cavs on espn tonight.

No Craps Given
EveDawg #2007853 03/15/23 10:42 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by EveDawg
jc

Cavs on espn tonight.

Looked good early... then fell apart....

<><

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Crazy game last night against the 76ers. It was a game of runs by both teams. Amazing shifts in momentum. The late reversal of Embiid's 6th foul was huge! That one call sealed the game.

--Not having Allen was huge. Embiid is a huge man and looked twice as wide as Mobley and the other dude who tried covering him. I thought they might have tried Lopez on him a couple of times just to bang on him for short stints.

--Mitchell finished w/21, but he didn't play well for most of the game. This seems to happen against the best teams.

--LeVert had a really nice game. He's really an athletic dude w/long limbs.

--Garland's shot was off, but he started taking the ball right at Embiid several times that resulted in us coming back and grabbing the lead. He was also talking smack to Philly's bench. The moment is not too big for him.

--Mobley did what he could. He just doesn't have the bulk to match-up w/Embiid.

--Osman, Stevens, and Okoro all played hard. Osman either shot an airball, a brick, or hit nothing but net. It was crazy that all that happened in one game.

--Edit: I forgot to mention that our bench outscored theirs 45 to 19. That was a pleasant surprise.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 03/16/23 08:45 AM.
Versatile Dog #2008237 03/17/23 09:38 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

2 members like this: Versatile Dog, FATE
Milk Man #2008262 03/18/23 09:06 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
That was cool!

As far as the game goes, the Cavs did what they needed to do to get the win. They have to keep winning to maintain the 4th seed. We are not that good on the road. The Knicks have been playing well and have had success against us. I think we are up by 2.5 games, but I'm not sure about that.

Washington has talented, so I was confused about why their record isn't very good. I saw why. They don't play good D. They turn it over too much. They play too much 1 on 5 and don't move the ball. On the other hand, the Cavs play very good D and move the ball better most of the time. They do have some careless turnovers, but it is not an epidemic.

I have to say this.........I don't get how in the world Darius Garland is so underrated? This guy is a freaking great player. He is so smooth. So quick. Great handle. A creative shot maker. One of the best passers in the entire league. Shoots the 3, drives it to the hole. Not physical on D because of his frame, but he competes. Plays the passing lanes very well. And the moment is never too big for him. He plays his best against the best. think he is one of the best players in the league.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Cavs/NBA

Link Copied to Clipboard