Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2000550 01/18/23 04:07 AM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
1. It's 1963. You're stuck in a place that you can't leave.
2. You're stuck there because you took Democracy's Moral High Ground... but lacked the legal standing to avoid-
3. -being stuck in a place that you can't leave.
4. You are presently deprived of 2 of America's guaranteed Three American Basics: liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

In short, you are a Black American Citizen of the United States of America- and you're in jail.
Again.

But you have a pen.
You have paper upon which to write.
And you have an educated, informed, inspired and insightful mind.
You also have personal history that has earned you the gravitas to speak out. And so, you do. But not against your historical oppressors, not against the culture that spawns callow, casual observers who slow down to gawk at the awful, human messiness. Nope. You take it to the very folks who share your profession/calling. You call out your own brethren clergy, exposing to all of America their complacency/complicity in the status quo.

And by calling them out, you also find a way to call out a Nation, because if clergy/ground-level leadership can't examine itself, why would Everyday Americans seek to do so?

Leadership by example.

By their deeds, ye shall know them (Matthew 7: 16-17).

This will probably take only 10 minutes of your time to read, but it is one of the most important, insightful treatises that has ever been shared with America since Her inception. Written more than a half-century ago, it has resonance in today's moments, as well.

Let us never be misinformed/misled: Martin was reviled and abjectly hated in his lifetime. He was considered a subversive, a radical. FBI Director Hoover called him, “the most dangerous Negro of the future in this nation from the standpoint of Communism, the Negro and national security.” And still, despite the institutionalized efforts to silence/marginalize him, his words swept the globe... and enshrined his name in the pantheon of History's great thought leaders/orators.

He fought every day for poor, silent, oppressed People, until a sniper's bullet cut him down before he reached the age of 40... and made him the unsilenced martyr for a cause that persists in a nation that professes itself to be something it has still not yet become.

It's now 2023.
60... SIXTY years later.
And still, the conditions that existed when 'Marty wrote his note' persist.

Take the 10 minutes required to read this.
It's one of the most important things ever written about and for Our Country.
America lived with a Gift in her midst for almost 40 years.
Perhaps some day, She'll learn to appreciate the rest of the riches that have been bestowed upon Her.

A Letter From Birmingham Jail

Happy "MLK Day," MF's.
What?

"too many notes, not enough music-"
1 member likes this: PerfectSpiral
Legend
Legend
I’ll post this part here for those Cristian Nationalists who think they’re being replaced. Don’t think they’d take the time to read the letter he wrote.

I hope this letter finds you strong in the faith. I also hope that circumstances will soon make it possible for me to meet each of you, not as an integrationist or a civil rights leader, but as a fellow clergyman and a Christian brother. Let us all hope that the dark clouds of racial prejudice will soon pass away and the deep fog of misunderstanding will be lifted from our fear-drenched communities and in some not too distant tomorrow the radiant stars of love and brotherhood will shine over our great nation with all of their scintillating beauty.

Yours for the cause of Peace and Brotherhood,

Marty.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
1 member likes this: Clemdawg
P
Legend
Legend
P
What puzzles me the most is those who say "Slavery ended after the Civil War!" Like that made everything alright and everything was fine after that. They wish to ignore Jim Crow laws and the fact that in some states they lasted into the 1960's. And as we've seen posted on this board some people have no idea what red lining even was and how it perpetuated segregation. That the civil rights act wasn't passed until the mid 1960's.

MLK was instrumental in bringing about change. In causing Americans who had never really considered what was going on around them, because it didn't impact them directly, to wake up and give a damn. For anyone who has studied his life and his work it brings into sharp focus our actual lack of real leaders today.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Real leaders are a thing of the past in US politics, because big biz corp leaders and foreign influences pick the candidates.

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
You had me for a second with the title. Once I read "It's 1963", I knew.

I haven't read this in about 10 years. Last time I read it was before printing it for an employee.

The walls in my office at my restaurant were cluttered with bulletin boards, schedules, clipboards... and one large, framed, hanging photo... MLK's address in DC during the 1957 Prayer Pilgrimage.

It was there for me, and over the years only a few people even asked. It usually garnered about the same squint and tilted heads that it did when I opened it one Christmas. A newlywed's gift from his wife, meant for me alone at my wife's family Christmas gathering (it was at our house and she said to pick one gift to open). I stared for a moment then turned it around, they probably saw the tears welling in my eyes; and looked confused as they tried to reckon what exactly I was showing them. I can let out a hearty laugh now, but it was an awkward moment. The voice sends chills, the images bring deep emotions; "I have a dream" usually makes my heartbeat retrace it's natural course. It's been that way since I was way too young to even understand why.

If a response was ever solicited, from a salesman or employee, it would usually be something as simple as "Is that MLK"? (duh). That would be followed by my recitation of the fact that he was my hero and inspiration in life... That if everyone had 1/10 the will and persistence for changing something, the world would be an incredible (and much different) place. "Oh, that's cool" was the usual shallow response.

Many years went by until a young black man, a newly-hired cook, sat in a chair and asked the follow-up question. "Why??"

From his point of view, there would be no reason for a white man to hold MLK in such high regard. At the beginning, the conversation revolved around MLK. All the sacrifices he made to bring about change. The fact that his own safety and well-being were so far down his list of importance that they were basically non-existent. And the fact that he would keep fighting until his final heartbeat. Yet, as long as that journey was sure to be, his 'pulse' was always in the moment. This letter was a perfect example, so I printed it for him to read.

The conversation ended with his proclamation that "nothing has changed". It's always hard to respond to that other than to say "nothing will, unless we all work together to change". "If one man can do all that, imagine what we could all do together, if we just tried".

I have failed. My whole life, I knew how important this was. My whole life, I've been shocked by anyone who didn't understand that we are all part of the 'human' brotherhood. As a young man, I told myself that I would bust my rump to bring change. I have failed.

I read one of your eloquent posts some time ago and felt the quicksand beneath my feet as I labored to trudge through the words... "I'm old and I'm tired". It broke my heart because I knew those were my words as well.

I have failed. And every little thing I've done was nowhere near big enough to change anything. I've been like the Christian who thinks his 'works alone' will get him a ticket to the promised land. An earnest smile and "hello", holding the door open, helping a family in need; not enough.

We have failed, for SIXTY years. Our 'works' haven't moved the needle. We've gone backwards, in many respects. It's not only heart-wrenching; it's served to minimize the struggle and journey of MLK himself.

Going forward looks more complicated than ever; as we pass the baton and hang our heads in shame.

Originally Posted by 'Marty'
"For years now I have heard the word “Wait!” It rings in the ear of every Negro with a piercing familiarity. This “wait” has almost always meant “never.” It has been a tranquilizing Thalidomide, relieving the emotional stress for a moment, only to give birth to an ill-formed infant of frustration."

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
2 members like this: Clemdawg, PitDAWG
FATE #2000632 01/18/23 04:53 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
We as a society have failed. I'm as much a part of that as you are. And so is everyone else.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
Yes, when we treat other humans as animals, we failed each other.

– Jackie Robinson
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Marty Pens A Note

Link Copied to Clipboard