Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2002882 02/05/23 12:05 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I am an avid reader. Now retired I can read.

So, I would like to pass on a series of books that I have found to be entertaining and enjoyable.

One of the fictional characters I have always enjoyed was Sherlock Holmes.

The authors Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child (Preston & Child) created a character named Aloysius Pendergast.

He is a kind of modern American Holmes.

There are now 19 books in the series starting with "The Relic." That was made into a movie but oddly Pendergast the character was not in the movie. The movie version featured a secondary character named D'Agosta a cop.

They are a kind of detective story but not exactly because there is an element of paranormal that lies under the stories.

The books have become very popular. I know a movie or series on streaming network have been discussed and may come to pass.

They are a fast read and hard to put down once you begin a book. A new book comes out about once a year.

Anyway if any like reading and want a good read maybe give it a try. These authors are masters at crafting a story.

bonefish #2002889 02/05/23 12:59 PM
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Thanks for the recommendation. I saw the movie in the late 90s but had no idea it came from an adaptation. The movie was okay, but I'll definitely check out the novel. I had never even heard of the author.

The 2 volume complete Doyle collection is on my shelf. I can always go back to it after a few years.

Great books seldom turn into great movies. There are a few important exceptions (imo).

What your post got me to thinking about was the younger generations and if they are reading novels at all anymore (paper or otherwise). I read constantly when I was a kid and loved a few different genres. I spent a lot of time holed up in my room and going through Heinlein, Thurber, etc...

It was a while I got my first girlfriend.

It's hard to imagine kids now-a-days being inclined or patient enough to actually sit still and remain focused to get involved in reading good writing. (The downfall of students' writing and reading comprehension skills in general?). Maybe I'm wrong.

I still go back to Brautigan, Vonnegut, Farina, H. Thompson, etc.

It's a challenge to talk about books with anyone anymore.

Thanks for the post.

AZBrown #2002892 02/05/23 01:27 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I am not exactly sure what you mean by younger generations, so I might be off w/this comment. My son and daughter are avid readers, especially my son. They are in their mid-30s. They are a younger generation in my mind...LOL. Not sure if you think so???

As a former teacher, I can tell you a lot of kids don't like to read. Video games, phones, and social media rule their lives.

I came from a family of avid readers. My wife is a huge reader. I have always loved to read. I still do. I am not as much into the popular authors as some others, but I like authors like Chris Bohjalian, Greg Illes, Karen Slaughter when I want something gritty, etc. They are somewhat popular.

I have had Kindle Unlimited for years and I enjoy exploring writers that haven't yet made it. I've found some decent writers like Ruth Ware, Kate Atkinson, etc. It's not deep reading, but they are quick and rather enjoyable. Surprisingly, Kristan Hannah [not sure about the spelling] is a rather magnificent wordsmith. She paints vivid pictures w/her words. A lot of men won't enjoy her work, though. The stories are rather emotional and she works hard to put emotions front and center. I always do enjoy how she can craft words together, though.

I have an advanced degree in English, so I read most of the classics. I took a course on John Milton one year and it was as difficult of a course as any I ever faced. I have a degree in mathematics, as well........so that is saying something.

I love reading far more than watching a movie or show. It's so easy to immerse oneself into the story and actually live it. Rather than watching, you are participating in the story itself. Also, my wife and I agree that reading has been key in our escape from poverty and allowing us to live comfortably.

A few months ago, my wife and I were finally blessed w/our first grandchild. I've already started a library for her and my daughter and son-in-law read to her each and every day. Hopefully, this beautiful child will also love and cherish the gifts that books bring to our daily lives.

AZBrown #2002926 02/05/23 05:45 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
You may enjoy Craig Stephen Copland.

He was a huge fan of Sherlock Holmes. He decided to take up where Doyle left off. He started writing new Holmes books.

I read one. There are many. I told my brother and he loves the books and has read a bunch of them.

I read different genres. I have gotten into historical fiction. Bernard Cornwell real got me going with his series "The Saxon Tales." The series was bought by Netflix and retitled "The Last Kingdom" it is about the Viking invasion of the British Isles. Cornwell has written many books covering different periods in history.

1 member likes this: AZBrown
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Congratulations on the birth of your first grandchild.

I am Poppi to my two grandsons who I live with. I have been with them from their first breath. In fact Oliver the second one was born in my house.

Circumstances came together to make it all possible. Not things one is able to plan for. One grandson is 16 now the other 10. They are my daughters boys. She has a MBA and will finish her doctorate in a year or two. She works and travels a lot. I feel very fortunate.
I will have helped raise two generations.

I have gotten to the point where tv in general bores me. I watch very little. Even sports I watch some but rarely watch a complete game unless it is really compelling. The Browns of course but other games a few quarters. Baseball regular season half a game sound off while I read. Playoffs or key pennant race games forget about it. I am glued.

Books, kindle I am reading a book at all times when time allows. I line up the next book as one comes to an end.

bonefish #2002934 02/05/23 08:45 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks bone. My daughter had 3 miscarriages and we were giving up hope. During this last pregnancy, the ultrasound revealed fluid on the back of her neck. That indicates Down syndrome. Thank God that she was born healthy and she is ahead of all the benchmarks for her age. She will be exposed to the world of literature. Reading is a gift on so many levels.

Enough about my story, but I think it would be cool if we keep this thread going. We can share books, authors, genres, etc that we appreciate and hopefully learn from one another. Thanks for starting this thread.

bonefish #2002938 02/05/23 09:10 PM
Legend
Legend
this is perfect timing for me as I've been looking for new books to read... I'm going to grab the first couple in the series to see how they go.

If you're looking for something new, and haven't yet read it, I strongly recommend 'The Passage' trilogy by Justin Cronin.
It's a slow burn at the outset, but once the disparate threads start to come together, it takes off. Each of the three volumes are just over 800 pages; it is truly an epic-length story.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
When I swim there physical therapists who work with disabled kids with all kinds of genetic disorders including Down syndrome.
It is heartbreaking to see some of them and the care required by their parents.

I always loved "Lonesome Dove." It became the most popular mini series on tv. Larry McMurtry wrote the novel. It was a bestseller and won the 1986 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.

I read the prequel and seguel and will read LD next. Great storytelling.

bonefish #2003003 02/06/23 01:22 PM
Legend
Legend
I love history and biographies. Especially the “Killing” stuff (Lincoln, JFK, etc). Anything on American history send my way!

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
1 member likes this: Dawg Duty
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
I love history and biographies. Especially the “Killing” stuff (Lincoln, JFK, etc). Anything on American history send my way!

Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 by Hunter Thompson is a good one.

I don't necessarily agree with his political viewpoint; but it's comprehensive, very well written and extremely funny.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life

You might want to try this book and if you like the author's writing style [I do] you can read his book about JFK.

Embers of War: The Fall of an Empire and the Making of America’s Vietnam
by Fredrik Logevall

And...

JFK: Coming of Age in the American Century, 1917-1956
by Fredrik Logevall

Or perhaps you can read them in reverse order.

bonefish #2003026 02/06/23 04:50 PM
Legend
Legend
Perfect timing for me as well.

Just downloaded "The Relic" to my Kindle using my library card. Fits the mold of the kind of fiction I've been into lately.

Books I've really enjoyed over the last year or so:

Then She Was Gone: A Novel – Lisa Jewell
Fifteen-year-old Ellie Mack was the perfect daughter. She was beloved by her parents, friends, and teachers. She and her boyfriend made a teenage golden couple. She was days away from an idyllic summer vacation, with her whole life ahead of her. And then she was gone.

Now her mother, Laurel Mack, is trying to put her life back together. It's been 10 years since her daughter disappeared, seven years since her marriage ended, and only months since the last clue in Ellie's case was unearthed. So when she meets an unexpectedly charming man in a cafe, she is surprised at how quickly their flirtation develops into something deeper. Before she knows it, she's meeting Floyd's daughters - and his youngest, Poppy, takes her breath away. Looking at her is like looking at Ellie. And now the unanswered questions she has tried so hard to put to rest haunt her anew...as well as some new ones about Floyd and Poppy....

Which prompted me to read another novel from Jewell...

The Family Upstairs: A Novel
Gifted musician Clemency Thompson is playing for tourists on the streets of Southern France when she receives an urgent text message. Her childhood friend, Lucy, is demanding her immediate return to London.

It’s happening, says the message. The baby is back.

Libby Jones was only six months old when she became an orphan. Now 25, she’s astounded to learn of an inheritance that will change her life. A gorgeous, dilapidated townhouse in one of London’s poshest neighborhoods has been held in a trust for her all these years. Now, it’s hers.

As Libby investigates the story of her birth parents and the dark legacy of her new home, Clemency and Lucy are headed her way to uncover, and possibly protect, secrets of their own. What really happened in that rambling Chelsea mansion when they were children? And are they still at risk?

Jewell’s novels have been praised as “sure to please fans of Ruth Ware and A.J. Finn” (Library Journal), and her latest is no exception. The Family Upstairs will keep you guessing until the very end.

Both great thrillers / page turners. Both are rather dark and edgy... Author has a natural knack for endearing you to complex characters as you whittle away at what really makes them tick; while trying to fit them into their place in the 'mystery'.

One Second After (A John Matherson Novel, 1) – William R. Forstchen
(The author has a Ph.D. from Purdue University with specializations in Military History and the History of Technology. This series has been lauded by experts as a very accurate description of what, and how quickly, events would come to pass after an EMP has been deployed)

New York Times best selling author William R. Forstchen now brings us a story which can be all too terrifyingly real...a story in which one man struggles to save his family and his small North Carolina town after America loses a war, in one second, a war that will send America back to the Dark Ages...A war based upon a weapon, an Electro Magnetic Pulse (EMP). A weapon that may already be in the hands of our enemies.

Months before publication, One Second After has already been cited on the floor of Congress as a book all Americans should read, a book already being discussed in the corridors of the Pentagon as a truly realistic look at a weapon and its awesome power to destroy the entire United States, literally within one second. It is a weapon that the Wall Street Journal warns could shatter America. In the tradition of On the Beach, Fail Safe and Testament, this book, set in a typical American town, is a dire warning of what might be our future...and our end.

The John Matherson Series
#1 One Second After
#2 One Year After
#3 The Final Day

Terrifying, and terrifyingly realistic "account", of how quickly we would devolve into a chaotic society, short on resources and long on tribal defense and resource protection -- by any means necessary.

Within one second, and for years to come, there will be: No electricity. No electronics. No Computers. No internet. No phones or cell phones. No TV. No Post Office. No telegraph. No airplanes or airlines. No trains. No busses or trucks or cars (unless they are pre 1975 points ignition cars or old diesels). No gasoline. No water. No medicine. No hospitals. No food. No heat. Democracy becomes a show of hands in the town square... and you're probably voting on whether to hang or imprison the insurgents. I'm currently reading book #2 "One Year After".

American Dirt: A Novel - Jeanine Cummins
Lydia lives in Acapulco. She has a son, Luca, the love of her life, and a wonderful husband who is a journalist. And while cracks are beginning to show in Acapulco because of the cartels, Lydia’s life is, by and large, fairly comfortable. But after her husband’s tell-all profile of the newest drug lord is published, none of their lives will ever be the same.

Forced to flee, Lydia and Luca find themselves joining the countless people trying to reach the United States. Lydia soon sees that everyone is running from something. But what exactly are they running to?

This is the best book I've read in a very long time. It's been called "a modern-day Grapes of Wrath"... for many good reasons. Gives you a different perspective on immigration by taking you down to the level of one family, and the people they meet along the way. Helps you realize that while this is a "problem" on a national scale, every individual has a story to tell. I'll just let others give you the pulse...

“I devoured the novel in a dry-eyed adrenaline rush.... A profoundly moving reading experience.”
―The Washington Post

“The story is masterfully composed of timeless elements: the nightmare logic of grief, the value of human kindness, the power of love to drive us to do the unimaginable…Cummins proves that fiction can be a vehicle for expanding our empathy.”
―Time

“American Dirt just gutted me, and I didn’t just read this book―I inhabited it.... Everything about this book was so extraordinary. It’s suspenseful, the language is beautiful, and the story really opened my heart. I highly recommend it, and you will not want to put it down. It is just a magnificent novel.”
―Oprah Winfrey

“This novel is a heart-stopping story of survival, danger, and love…”
―The New York Times

“Heartfelt and hopeful, American Dirt is a novel for our times. Thrilling, epic, and unforgettable...”
―Esquire

“This tense, illuminating novel takes off like a rocket...”
―People (Book of the Week)

“American Dirt is a literary novel with nuanced character development and arresting language; yet, its narrative hurtles forward with the intensity of a suspense tale. Its most profound achievement, though, is something I never could’ve been told…American Dirt is the novel that, for me, nails what it’s like to live in this age of anxiety, where it feels like anything can happen, at any moment.”
―NPR’s Fresh Air

“Propulsive.”
―Elle

“American Dirt is an extraordinary piece of work, a perfect balancing act with terror on one side and love on the other. I defy anyone to read the first seven pages of this book and not finish it. The prose is immaculate, and the story never lets up.... On a micro scale―the story scale, where I like to live―it’s one hell of a novel about a good woman on the run with her beautiful boy. It’s marvelous.”
―Stephen King

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #2003027 02/06/23 05:29 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I read both of those Jewell books. They are part of that group I mentioned earlier. Not deep, but quick, entertaining reads.

American Dirt sounds interesting to me. I might give it a go.

One Second After sounds intriguing, but it looks like it might have the potential to depress me.

FATE #2003033 02/06/23 06:46 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
If you enjoy "the Relic."

You will have a blast reading the other 18 books. I am now reading the lastest:

The Cabinet of Dr. Leng.

The authors Preston & Child are interesting guys. Their hobby is long rides on horses out West.

They publish independently and the books are good. But the Pendergast character is fascinating. Sherlock like but different. You learn about the history of his family over time from book to book. What amazes me is their ability to craft a story. And then from book to book a little more information is given and now 18 books later mysteries of the past unveil themselves.

Like a good song the hook is set early. And you can not release yourself from the story.

Some books I pour through. Their books I sip because in some weird way. You do not want to reach the end.

1 member likes this: FATE
bonefish #2003036 02/06/23 07:44 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I remember reading The Once and Future King by T.H. White when I was in 7th grade. I think it's an adult book, but I remember being fascinated by that book. It's a retelling of the Arthurian legend that is divided into different parts. I think there are four of them. The genre is intriguing, because it's Fantasy, Historical Fiction, Mythology, and Classic Literature.

My favorite section was when young Arthur was under the tutelage of Merlin the Magician. Again, I was in 7th grade and I imagined myself as Arthur and living all the marvelous wonders that Merlin exposed him to.

The other three parts were well written, but the female characters were not very nice and Arthur was ultimately portrayed as almost pathetic and Sir Lancelot was the star. I remember how much that disappointed me because Arthur was such a likeable young fellow during his formative years. His personality change did not quite make sense to me.

With that said, I would encourage anyone to read this classic story. It's full of wonderment, sage advice, and is beautifully written.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Interesting. I know the title and it sounds familiar. In 7th grade I was hooked on John Carter on Mars the whole series.
Edgar Rice Burroughs. That was the series that influenced Lucas. Now I don't watch any Star Wars. I saw the first one and that was it.
But 7th grade it was John Carter. The art work on the originals were a huge influence on jacket cover art.

Bernard Cornwell is really good at historical fiction. He is English and he is locked in on English history. His main character is fictional but the back drop, battles, officers, what really happened, historically accurate. He is a good story teller.

bonefish #2003252 02/08/23 05:27 PM
Legend
Legend
RELIC was amazing.

Great read, great characters, great suspense. Intelligent to the point of being very believable. I loved it.

Probably watch the movie... then start the sequel. It was a pleasant surprise to see there is a sequel.

FATE #2003258 02/08/23 06:01 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The movie Relic doesn't follow the book to well. Pendergast is not even in it.

The books are great reads.

Benedict Cumberbatch plays Holmes in the BBC Sherlock series. He would make a good Pendergast but there are others as well.

I know it has been discussed with streaming services. If they did it right. It would be amazing.

Spike TV was going to make the series but I don't know what happened.

Actually I love the books. New characters are introduced. Old ones brought in and out. Creepy villains do bad things.
Lots of threads going on that get tied together eventually.

I just finished the latest which leaves you hanging: ..... to be continued.

The authors went out on a book tour and were in Savannah. I thought about going but didn't.

FATE #2003259 02/08/23 06:03 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
18 more books and one is in the oven now.

You will binge on them if you enjoyed "The Relic."

bonefish #2003262 02/08/23 06:22 PM
Legend
Legend
I can see that happening. Already downloaded Reliquary.

Kind of weird that Pendergast wouldn't be included in the movie. I do like to watch the movie (if available) shortly after I read a book. I'm always intrigued in how they go about the adaptation.

Thanks for sending me down the rabbit hole. 🤣

FATE #2003271 02/08/23 07:02 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I got my brother on Preston & Child.

We go back and forth as we read the books. We read a lot of the same things.

On a complete 180 from those books is Charles Bukowski. I read his books many years ago but go back and read them again.

Unique mind but damn thought provoking. He stands alone in some corner and likes it there.

As a pure writer who views the soul of the world. He is unmatched.

bonefish #2012067 04/20/23 10:55 AM
Legend
Legend
Hey, thanks again.

GREAT series. Book six (Dance of Death) on hold at my digital library right now. About half-way through Brimstone I read something about it being #1 of a trilogy within the series. Wasn't prepared for the cliff-hanger at the end lol. Waiting rather impatiently.

Really enjoyed the "breakaway" in Still Life with Crows. Loved Corrie and her ability ('bird's eye' view) to give us a different perspective on Pendergast's quirks. After that, it was great to return to see the characters you already know; and how they have changed and grown. Getting to really know D'Agosta was the treat in Brimstone.

What a wonderfully crafted series!

bonefish #2012183 04/21/23 12:57 PM
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Richard Brautigan - In Watermelon Sugar

Richard Farina - Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me

Hunter Thompson - Campaign Trail '72 or Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Kurt Vonnegut - Sirens of Titan

Robert Heinlein - Stranger in a Strange Land

Biography:
Jaco: The Extraordinary and Tragic Life of Jaco Pastorius (Bill Milkowski)

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Books to read

Link Copied to Clipboard