#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Depodesta be like...

[Linked Image from i.chzbgr.com]

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The Browns began making their offseason roster moves on Tuesday.

The NFL’s daily transaction report shows that the team has released linebacker Jordan Kunaszyk.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c…

M
Legend
Legend
M

M
Legend
Legend
M
I really don't like this IF Peters was the heir to Callahan's style/system.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
This is a good article considering the time of the year. I like the part that includes JOK.

Browns would be wise to retain LB coach Jason Tarver

Cory Kinnan
February 15, 2023 11:21 am ET

The Cleveland Browns are experiencing a good bit of turnover in their defensive coaching staff. After the hiring of Jim Schwartz as the new defensive coordinator last month, two staffers have since departed for other gigs as Jeff Howard has taken the linebackers coaching job with the Los Angeles Chargers and Chris Kiffin is taking over the linebacker coaching job with the Houston Texans. As they look to replace their openings, openings that were more than likely created intentionally as the Browns granted these guys the opportunity to interview elsewhere while under contract, Schwartz would be wise to retain linebackers coach Jason Tarver.

Jason Tarver was put in an impossible situation and the group still produced

When was the last time a single position group on a single roster had five different starters suffer season-ending injuries? And when was the last time that unit then inserted undrafted free agents, late-round picks, and practice squad players into the lineup as replacements with little dropoff?

That is exactly what happened to the Browns this season as all of Anthony Walker Jr., Jacob Phillips, Sione Takitaki, Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, and Jordan Kunaszyk all ended up on Injured Reserve in 2022. Yet Tarver’s unit saw production from day-three pick Tony Fields II and practice squad players Reggie Ragland and Jermaine Carter Jr.

Even before their injuries as well, Walker Jr. and Takitaki were playing high-level football for the Browns in contract years. This is not a normal amount of turnover, nor a normal amount of output from unsung heroes. The man behind the curtain in Tarver deserves a load of credit for instilling a “next man up” mentality at the second level of the Cleveland defense.

His resume speaks for itself

Unlike Howard and Kiffin, Tarver came to the Browns with a depth of experience to his name already, and that has been on display in the way he has handled his business with the linebackers. He is entering his 20th year in the NFL, has spent three seasons as a defensive coordinator, and even spent 13 years with the same team.

There is a reason teams keep this guy around. And there is a reason why we have not heard rumors about him interviewing elsewhere. Turnover for the sake of turnover is not a good thing. Continuity for the sake of continuity is not a good thing. However, continuity with guys who have continuously earned their keep every step of the way is the sweet spot.

Tarver is not afraid to challenge his best players

Needed in Cleveland, Tarver is not afraid to hold his best players accountable and challenge them to continue to work on their craft. This is just what he did with explosive linebacker Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah at the end of the 2022 season. He started by explaining his grading process:

“The linebackers will tell you that I am one of if not the hardest grader because we want it that way. Everything is either a check, which means you did your job; a plus means you did something great but those are hard to get and you have to make a play; and then it is a minus. If you are a little bit off in your gap, that is a minus. Now you can turn minuses into checks and pluses. You can be aligned a little [off], and do something great, that works.”

He went on to praise Owusu-Koramoah’s development from a technical perspective, but ended by challenging the linebacker as he enters his third season in the NFL:

“In the offseason this year, it is going to be building his body to handle the 17 weeks. I do like where he went by football progression and what he did the last week. Now, it is going to be a process of really mastering the offseason.”

This is the kind of accountability the Browns need to keep in their locker room and on their staff.

Final thoughts on Jim Schwartz, the Browns, and Tarver

The good news is that there have been no other interview rumors surrounding Tarver the way there were with Howard and Kiffin. This likely means that the Browns told the two who departed to look for other gigs while giving Tarver a good amount of assurance as Jim Schwartz takes over.

However, until a press release officially solidifies Tarver onto Schwartz’s staff in 2023, there are reasons for speculation. Tarver is the only defensive positional coach with a long list of experience, the only one who has called a defense at the NFL level, and the only one who got production out of his unit a year ago.

Tarver has earned his keep in Cleveland.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lis...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

Legend
Legend
does anyone think the Browns should talk to Eric Bieenemy (spelling) as assistent HC Offense? It doesn't appear teams are lining up for his services.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
L
Legend
Legend
L
I don’t believe anyone has considered the idea that Eric “Sleeping With” Bienemy would entertain that idea. Why would he do that?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
L
Legend
Legend
L
If schwartz wants to keep Tarver, he will.

gmstrong

-----------------

Legend
Legend
Bienemy's waiting in the wings to take over when Reid retires.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by lampdogg
I don’t believe anyone has considered the idea that Eric “Sleeping With” Bienemy would entertain that idea. Why would he do that?

Money. Anything can happen if there is enough money involved.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Come on, man. That is not going to happen. Work under a Reid with a HC gig imminent, or under Kevin?

gmstrong

-----------------

O
Legend
Legend
O
I didn't say it was going to happen, I'm just saying anything is possible with enough money on the table.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
j/c:

There is a line of thinking that Bienemy might have to go somewhere else because teams question how responsible he is for KC's offensive success w/Andy Reid on board. It might behoove to go somewhere like Washington where they have a defensive minded HC and EB would have full control of the offense to prove himself. Also, there are rumors out there that claim EB does not interview well.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Vers, I heard EB allegedly had trouble while he was at Colorado. I don't know what it was or even if it's true.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
j/c:

There is a line of thinking that Bienemy might have to go somewhere else because teams question how responsible he is for KC's offensive success w/Andy Reid on board. It might behoove to go somewhere like Washington where they have a defensive minded HC and EB would have full control of the offense to prove himself. Also, there are rumors out there that claim EB does not interview well.

I saw an article and posted it here somewhere that points out that Bienemy may be seen more as installing Reid's offense rather than being responsible for KC's offense. And that is the stumbling block for him getting a HC gig. lamp however may be correct that he's waiting in the wings to take over after Reid retires but if that were true I see no reason he would be interviewing for the Commanders OC job.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
via CBS Sports:

Cleveland Browns
Unrestricted free agents: Deion Jones (LB), Kareem Hunt (RB), Jacoby Brissett (QB), Taven Bryan (DT), Chris Hubbard (LT), Greedy Williams (CB), Ronnie Harrison (S), D'Earnest Johnson (RB), Stephen Weatherly (EDGE), Ethan Pocic (C), Jesse James (TE), Reggie Ragland (LB), Jermaine Carter Jr. (LB), Pharaoh Brown (TE), Jordan Kunaszyk (LB), Tae Davis (LB), Chase Winovich (LB), Sione Takitaki (LB), Hjalte Froholdt (RG), Jadeveon Clowney (EDGE), Anthony Walker Jr. (LB)
Projected cap space: -$13,534,606
Team needs: DT, WR, OT

The Browns could use an upgrade at wide receiver, but will have to clear some space this offseason in order to do so. A consistent No. 2 option will help out Deshaun Watson, whose hefty contract significantly kicks in this year. They'll need help on the defensive line as well.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I think we didn't want to keep some of our defensive coaches, but we probably did not want to lose this guy.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland...he-League-In-Expensive-Talent-204883692/

Cleveland Browns Lead The League In Expensive Talent
ByJACK DUFFIN 19 hours ago

In 2022 the Cleveland Browns lead the entire NFL with the most players being paid over $10m a year. We are using average per year on contracts rather than one-year cap hits which are incredibly misleading and easily manipulated. Numbers as always from Over The Cap. It is worth looking at what this level of investment means and if it hampers them in free agency.
Who Are They?

Here is a list of the Cleveland Browns in 2022 who were on more than $10m a year.

Deshaun Watson - $46m
Myles Garrett - $25m
Denzel Ward - $20.1m
Amari Cooper - $20m
Joel Bitonio - $16m
Wyatt Teller - $14.2m
Jack Conklin - $14m
David Njoku - $13.7m
Nick Chubb - $12.2m
John Johnson - $11.25m
Baker Mayfield - $10.5m (this is what the Browns paid for 2022 to trade him)
Jadeveon Clowney - $10m

How Are The Top Teams Built?

Here is a look at the final 8 teams in the NFL playoffs this year and you can see the vast majority are all the same with 7 or 8 players on $10m plus. The Eagles have many more but they also have a quarterback that is being paid $1,643,230 on the salary cap. Since the Cleveland Browns now have a $46m a year quarterback they will need to limit some of their spending to balance this out.
(Charts in link)

Conclusion

The first and most obvious conclusion is that what the Cleveland Browns are currently spending on their offense isn't sustainable long term. This is before we get into any debate over kicking the can in contracts and restructuring deals. They will need to balance this out, so those fans demanding that Andrew Berry must trade for a $15m a year wide receiver or he has failed this offseason are likely going to be left unhappy. Obviously, there are always ways to do this, and it could be by letting some players go the other way in trades as Teller and Chubb are the obvious two.

On the defensive side of the ball with Clowney and likely Johnson departing they can open up some money to do different things, I believe the smarter approach would be to spread this money around and add multiple talented players rather than focusing it all on one stud defensive tackle and spending very little elsewhere.

You don't want to ever get to the stage where the Saints were last year when they had nothing invested at quarterback, lost several key pieces to free agency, and had their big free agent moves were Marcus Maye & Andy Dalton. There is a fine line between aggression and stupidity which Andrew Berry is right on the cusp of, these will be tough decisions to make as they transition this roster in the bid to build a consistent competitor that is up against the Chiefs, Bills, and Bengals each year.

Legend
Legend
That's a ridiculous article. They use averages to inflate and conflate numbers under the pretense of seeing if it hampers them in free agency when it isn't an average, but the specific year costs that affect free agency.
Furthermore, they're looking at the previous year to project going forward. The author is drawing conclusions out of thin air and then using a contrived argument to prop it up.

They're looking at a stack of potatoes to see if they can grow a strawberry in a small planter.

This is what happens when people are given too many data points; they get lost looking at things that have no bearing on each other at all.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: FL_Dawg
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Make that one less defensive tackle for the Browns to target in free agency

Jacob Roach
February 22, 2023 7:15 am ET

With defensive tackle as the team’s biggest need, this offseason fans have clamored for Washington’s Daron Payne. Payne would be a massive upgrade as one of the league’s most talented young players at the position. However, just as many thought reports are saying that the Commanders will likely place their franchise tag on Payne before he can enter free agency.

There would still be a chance the Browns could trade for a tagged Daron Payne but with the cap number coming with the tag and the likely wanted compensation it likely won’t happen. There are however many other players available that would make the defensive line better but the top player at the position may be off the market before even hitting it.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/202...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

Legend
Legend
I never held any hope of getting him.

The whole DL is in question as far as how they will rebuild the DL room.

Schwartz will have input. I do not see this as a one year fix. I think there will be some players that will serve as short term adds and drafted players as guys to develop.

I am hoping we can be have a competent DL. I am not expecting miracles.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd like to see us take a look at DT David Onyemata who is due to be a free agent. Was drafted by the Saints in the 4th rnd in 2016 and has been a full time starter for them since 2019. He had a bit of a down year last year as far as PFF Grades but he still put up 5 sacks and 35 pressures total.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I've seen Onyemata's name mentioned in some tweets and articles of guys we may pursue.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Good article.

This is not a lame-duck regime

Cory Kinnan
February 23, 2023 1:47 pm ET

The Cleveland Browns have not seen results the past two seasons under head coach Kevin Stefanski and general manager Andrew Berry. Coming into the 2023 season, expect Stefanski to be near the top of the odds to be the first head coach fired in Vegas. However, the actions of the organization and, more importantly, the actions of those choosing to be in Berea indicate this regime is not a lame-duck regime.

Bill Callahan, widely renowned as one of the best offensive line coaches in all of football, rejected an interview to become the offensive coordinator of the New York Jets. He instead opted to sign an extension to stay in Cleveland with the Browns.

Jim Schwartz, who spent last season as a senior defensive analyst with the Tennessee Titans, could have waited out the defensive coordinator process to feel out other opportunities. He could have had his pick of the litter and instead opted to take the job in Cleveland before the five teams who were looking for head coaches even hired new leaders.

Bubba Ventrone, a well-respected special teams coordinator and leading voice within the organization of the Indianapolis Colts, packed his bags and willingly came to Cleveland despite the ability to keep the job under Shane Steichen.

These are not lame-duck moves. These are not lame-duck hires. This is not the same as Hue Jackson hiring an often scoffed-at defensive coordinator in Gregg Williams, who is now coaching in the XFL because he won’t find another NFL job. This isn’t Todd Haley walking into the organization after the Pittsburgh Steelers decided to let him walk after his contract expired.

The moves the Browns are making, and the decisions that high-profile coaches who could easily find jobs elsewhere, are not indicative of a regime on the hot seat.

Do the young players on the roster need to improve to show signs that Berry has not drafted handfuls of non-contributors? Absolutely. Does Berry need to reevaluate his process a bit and take a good look in the mirror? Definitely.

Does Stefanski need to sit down and figure out how to meld his strengths with that of his personnel this offseason? Yes. Do the Browns need to get back in the playoffs for him to feel better about his security? Considering he has just two years left on his contract with no extension, yes he does.

However, if the Browns get back into the playoffs this season, and they have no excuses not to, then expect both Berry and Stefanski to get new contracts with a bit of extra coin on them. This is not a lame-duck regime.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Careers are based on success. If those in charge can't right the ship there will be consequences. Hopefully that won't come to fruition. But posting some opinion piece about them being here after next season without seeing the results of this coming season isn't viable.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Reading is hard.

1 member likes this: FATE
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes, you need to work on that.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
1 member likes this: superbowldogg
A
Legend
Legend
A
Happy Birthday!

1 member likes this: GratefulDawg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by GratefulDawg

Apparently, he played center at Tufts University, and his nickname was Bleu Cheese BodyBag. (link). ...the more you know... rofl

After last year's run defense, is this a promotion or demotion? Hopefully he can do a better job than Kiffin seemed to.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
1 member likes this: GratefulDawg
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Report: Browns to name Ben Bloom defensive line coach

Posted by Josh Alper on February 24, 2023, 7:29 AM EST
link

Ben Bloom will reportedly remain on the Browns’ coaching staff after the arrival of defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, but he will have a new job title.

Albert Breer of SI.com reports that Bloom will be the team’s defensive line coach. He was their run game coordinator the last two seasons and will replace Chris Kiffin, who left to take a job on DeMeco Ryans’ staff in Houston.

Bloom had a stint with the Browns early in his career before moving to the Cowboys in 2011. He held a variety of positions while in Dallas and spent two years as their linebackers coach before leaving after the 2019 season.

The Browns hired Bloom as a senior defensive assistant and he’s now set to make another change in assignment for the 2023 season.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Deshaun Watson: HC Kevin Stefanski a premier play-caller in the NFL

Cory Kinnan
February 23, 2023 8:18 pm ET

The offseason is underway, the Cleveland Browns are making big changes to their coaching staff, and head coach Kevin Stefanski and Deshaun Watson are going to figure out how to get the offense back on track in 2023. The quarterback has only glowing things to say about his head coach when he jumped on a podcast with this private quarterbacks coach Quincy Avery today. On the podcast, Watson called his head coach one of the premier play-callers in the league.

This showed as Stefanski got top-10 quarterback play out of Jacoby Brissett, so there is a reason for optimism that he and Watson can get it figured out this offseason.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You seem to really like this guys positive spin on everything. Not surprised.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
You seem to really like this guys positive spin on everything. Not surprised.

If that was Truly top ten quality from Jacoby Brisset than what do you call the Baker Mayfield year prior to his injury?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News and Notes

Link Copied to Clipboard