Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
FATE Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Fetterman checked himself into hospital ‘to receive treatment for clinical depression,’ office says

Editor’s Note: If you or someone you know is struggling with mental health, please call the Suicide & Crisis Lifeline at 988 to connect with a trained counselor or visit 988lifeline.org.

CNN

Democratic Sen. John Fetterman of Pennsylvania checked himself into Walter Reed National Military Medical Center “to receive treatment for clinical depression,” his chief of staff announced on Thursday.

“On Monday, John was evaluated by Dr. Brian P. Monahan, the Attending Physician of the United States Congress. Yesterday, Dr. Monahan recommended inpatient care at Walter Reed. John agreed, and he is receiving treatment on a voluntary basis,” Chief of Staff Adam Jentleson said in a statement.

Fetterman is a freshman senator and was elected in November after suffering a stroke in May of last year.

Fetterman’s wife, Gisele, said on Thursday that she is “so proud of him for asking for help.”

“After what he’s been through in the past year, there’s probably no one who wanted to talk about his own health less than John. I’m so proud of him for asking for help and getting the care he needs,” she tweeted.

She went on to say, “This is a difficult time for our family, so please respect our privacy.”

The statement from Fetterman’s chief of staff announcing the news said, “After examining John, the doctors at Walter Reed told us that John is getting the care he needs, and will soon be back to himself.”

it also stated that Fetterman has experienced depression “off and on” over the course of his life, the issue “only became severe in recent weeks.”

Last week, Fetterman’s office announced that after feeling lightheaded, Fetterman went to the George Washington University hospital. He was discharged two days later, and his office said that test results had been able to “rule out a new stroke.”

Lawmakers on both sides of the aisle expressed support for Fetterman on Thursday.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer said he is happy to hear the senator is “getting the help he needs.”

“Millions of Americans, like John, struggle with depression each day. I am looking forward to seeing him return to the Senate soon. Sending love and support to John, Gisele, and their family,” Schumer tweeted.

This story has been updated with additional developments.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/16/politics/john-fetterman-depression-treatment/index.html

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Glad he's gotten help. Mass shootings never includes SUICIDES. Check the numbers- suicide much bigger problem than mass shootings- the yearly numbers aren't even close. Mental health- huge. Maybe, Rep. Greene will get evaluated. This is the politics board. More than one Rep has mental issues on both sides.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by hitt
Glad he's gotten help. Mass shootings never includes SUICIDES. Check the numbers- suicide much bigger problem than mass shootings- the yearly numbers aren't even close.

Gun deaths via suicide are included in the numbers.

They represent over 50% of all gun deaths in the USA.

Glad he is getting help.

I feel like all politicians should take a mental aptitude/health/capability test before being allowed to run for office abd 1x a year.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Glad he's getting help... It's sad, but my initial thoughts are to be skeptical that he is actually depressed and not having secondary complications from his stroke... still think he has zero business being in the senate...

either way, hope he gets the help he needs....

<><

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: archbolddawg
FATE Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
"Severe depression for several weeks..."

He's only been in office six weeks, so the timeline speaks for itself. Stroke exactly nine months ago, obvious problems with the ongoing effects, now severely depressed... He may want to step down and get his health in order, without the added stress of politics and the intense schedule and scrutiny involved.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FATE
"Severe depression for several weeks..."

He's only been in office six weeks, so the timeline speaks for itself. Stroke exactly nine months ago, obvious problems with the ongoing effects, now severely depressed... He may want to step down and get his health in order, without the added stress of politics and the intense schedule and scrutiny involved.

Sadly, you are correct. He needs to recover from the stroke and the depression or he's going to have a relapse of one or both. The physical and emotional burden of being a senator won't allow him to do that.
Y

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
The trump brigade wants Fetterman to step down for seeking help but crickets on Santos. Interesting.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by jaybird
Glad he's getting help... It's sad, but my initial thoughts are to be skeptical that he is actually depressed and not having secondary complications from his stroke... still think he has zero business being in the senate...

either way, hope he gets the help he needs....

Actually they are often times one in the same. I won't get into the details but in the 90's my dad had a massive stroke. Much worse than Fetterman'n so I do have some first hand knowledge of the subject.

Depression and Stroke

Depression is a common experience for stroke survivors. It’s often caused by biochemical changes in the brain. When the brain is injured, the survivor may not be able to feel positive emotions.

Depression can also be a normal psychological reaction to the losses from stroke.

Here are some of the common symptoms of depression:

Persistent sad, anxious or “empty” mood
Restlessness and irritability
Feelings of hopelessness, pessimism, guilt, worthlessness or helplessness
Loss of interest or pleasure in hobbies and activities, including sex
Decreased energy and fatigue, and feeling “slowed down”
Difficulty concentrating, remembering and making decisions
Insomnia, early-morning awakening or oversleeping
Appetite and/or weight changes
Thoughts of death or suicide, or suicide attempts

Depression may make the rehabilitation process more challenging for survivors to do the hard work required. If five or more of these symptoms persist for longer than two weeks, depression may be the cause.

A good psychologist or psychiatrist can help. Treating depression not only improves the survivor’s mood, it boosts physical, cognitive and intellectual recovery. Social support is also crucial. Several studies show that depression goes hand in hand with lower levels of support. Look to your family, friends, a stroke support group or a combination of resources for help. Everyone involved in recovery needs to be aware of the survivor’s depression — and ready to respond to it. The right kind of treatment and support can help ease the pain and move the survivor down the road to recovery.

https://www.stroke.org/en/about-str...-effects-of-stroke/depression-and-stroke

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus John Fetterman receiving treatment for clinical depression

Link Copied to Clipboard