Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Legend
Legend
Sadly, that is what we typically see, is that the worst of a group, becomes the identity for the whole group in the eyes of many.

Black folks feel your pain.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
V
Legend
Legend
V
I looked at your link and excuse me if I disagree w/the conclusions you typed out.

From the link.......Cities w/the Strictest Gun Laws: New York, San Fran, Philly, Baltimore, Chicago, and Las Vegas. I'm not sure about Vegas, but I wouldn't refer to any of the other cities as safe or doing a great job of saving lives.

Maybe stick to the political cartoons?

F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral
First off I could not find a single city in the US that has an all out ban on having guns. Maybe selling? IDK.

Anyways the facts show…… A study published in January by a leading non-profit organization that focuses on gun violence prevention found that there is a direct correlation in states with weaker gun laws and higher rates of gun deaths, including homicides, suicides and accidental killings.

The study by Everytown for Gun Safety determined that California had the strongest gun laws in the country. Hawaii topped the list with the lowest rate of gun deaths in the country while Mississippi led the country with both the weakest gun laws and highest rate of gun deaths.

“What this project does, is show what we’ve been saying for years: Gun laws save lives,” said Nick Suplina, senior vice president of law and policy at Everytown for Gun Safety Support Fund. “We think this is going to be a really important tool for lawmakers, reporters and advocates that have been looking for the kind of visual tool that can make that case clearly.”

https://gunlawsuits.org/gun-laws/cities-with-strictest-gun-laws/

My use of the term "all out Ban" was incorrect, but I think you got the point. Bans aren't making cities any safer, we will never put all the guns back in the box, so we need to find an alternate solution. But that won't happen as long as the politician can use it as a tool to control thing, people and votes. Too many people want to stand in the middle the argument rather than step outside and look at what is truly happening, or better yet, not happening.

Do you really think the politicians really give a damn about gun control? Maybe a little, but it is more about a tool, like the environment, like wages, like social programs. They are tools to keep the people in check by pushing the pendulum one way or another depending on the times.

Maybe I am just becoming very cynical in my later years, but in all my time on this earth these arguments have been going back and forth with no solutions. So much like the Browns no matter who they put on the field, I don't believe they are a contender until they start to show it.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
They can try to use that info but all you'll get out of the NRA and those that simply stonewall gun safety is that it's a study by a left week elite and of course they'd say these things LOL Sorry,, I just have no faith in the Right

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I looked at your link and excuse me if I disagree w/the conclusions you typed out.

From the link.......Cities w/the Strictest Gun Laws: New York, San Fran, Philly, Baltimore, Chicago, and Las Vegas. I'm not sure about Vegas, but I wouldn't refer to any of the other cities as safe or doing a great job of saving lives.

Cherry picking big cities with huge gun violence issues and using them to debate the impact of gun regulations seems rather skewed.

There are plenty of reports and studies online if someone wants to spend some time looking and reading. Some of the reports are very partisan and skewed. Many are very neutral and simple. Bottom line the impact of gun regulations doesn't have to have a significant impact to make a big difference to people's lives. A 1% reduction in homicide rates means 2500-2600 more Americans alive each year. potentially something like 2300 less suicides.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hicrc/firearms-research/guns-and-death/

Pretty straight forward research - more guns means more gun deaths. More gun suicides.

https://giffords.org/lawcenter/gun-violence-statistics/

A global perspective:

America has the weakest gun laws and the most guns—393 million—of any comparable nation.

The US accounts for just 4% of the world’s population but 35% of global firearm suicides.

Americans are 25 times more likely to be killed in a gun homicide than people in other high-income countries.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted by Damanshot
I have no doubt it's for show.. But this something the NRA CAN do. They can teach their membership that just because something is legal, doesn't make it smart or even close to being right.
They can try to use that info but all you'll get out of the NRA and those that simply stonewall gun safety is that it's a study by a left week elite and of course they'd say these things LOL Sorry,, I just have no faith in the Right

Just an FYI for facts.

When I got my concealed carry license, I did not do the gun show classes, since my wife and son where also getting licenses, I signed us up for an NRA approved instructor, NRA class. There were multiple times in the 3 day class that he expressed, "Just because you can legally, doesn't mean you should" in reference to exposing weapons. Repeatedly expressed the basic rules of safety.

1. Always Keep the weapon pointed in a safe direction.
2. Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot
3. Always keep the weapon unloaded until ready to use (More geared toward home storage)

Along with many other common sense safety precautions.

So to say the NRA doesn't teach these things is incorrect. But currently there is no law that states that one MUST take a safety course to own a firearm, which is a different argument.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FloridaFan
I have no doubt it's for show.. But this something the NRA CAN do. They can teach their membership that just because something is legal, doesn't make it smart or even close to being right.

Just an FYI for facts.

When I got my concealed carry license, I did not do the gun show classes, since my wife and son where also getting licenses, I signed us up for an NRA approved instructor, NRA class. There were multiple times in the 3 day class that he expressed, "Just because you can legally, doesn't mean you should" in reference to exposing weapons. Repeatedly expressed the basic rules of safety.

3. Always keep the weapon unloaded until ready to use (More geared toward home storage)

So to say the NRA doesn't teach these things is incorrect. But currently there is no law that states that one MUST take a safety course to own a firearm, which is a different argument.

that's wonderful, however you aren't the problem...Do you take your gun for a walk to dunkin donuts? Probably not. Gun safety and usage is one thing. Using some common sense is another thing all together. If the NRA is teaching and Preaching that, they failed.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V
I did not cherry pick anything. I clicked on the link Perfect provided and that was the topic.

Btw-------I am not going to debate this topic w/you guys because you all are unreasonable and preach division. I just thought it was funny that Perfect posted information that completely opposed what he was trying to say.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I was an NRA member for many years. Their safety courses are great! What turned me off is when they seemed to move more towards being a political group.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I was an NRA member for many years. Their safety courses are great! What turned me off is when they seemed to move more towards being a political group.

I agree, and why I no longer am a member.

F
Legend
Legend
F

Just an FYI for facts.

that's wonderful, however you aren't the problem...Do you take your gun for a walk to dunkin donuts? Probably not. Gun safety and usage is one thing. Using some common sense is another thing all together. If the NRA is teaching and Preaching that, they failed.

No I am not the problem, and neither is a huge majority of gun owners, who you seem to think are somehow responsible for this one idiots actions.

What kind of answer do you want? One guy did something you find wrong, even though he was within his legal rights to do so. What is it you want from us on this message board?

P
Legend
Legend
P
I won't go as far as to say that many gun owners are responsible for some of these acts. But I certainly see a lot of them being a contributing factor. I'll give you just a couple of examples. Things I think should be covered in what I see as sensible gun control.

Guns stolen from locked as well as unlocked vehicles. Here in Tennessee it has become a huge issue. And it's surprising not only that people feel guns need to be left in their vehicles, but many of these vehicles are left unlocked. To me this is very irresponsible handling of a firearm. I've seen estimates as high as 70% of all stolen guns were taken from vehicles. A law was passed that makes your vehicle "an extension of your house" which a lot of people consider a contributing factor.

Children as young as six years old that I've seen shooting people with guns they managed to get their hands on. Sometimes it happens within the home with a small child shooting a sibling, parent, neighbor or relative. Just a very short time ago a six year old managed to take a loaded gun to school and actually shoot one of his teachers. I understand that you can have an older child who can manage to steal your keys or work around it even if you have your guns secured. But in many cases that's not what we see happening.

I understand perfectly the right to bear arms. I'm all for that in fact. But I also believe with great freedoms comes great responsibilities. And what I've seen is far too much cojoling about the freedom part and not nearly enough emphasis on the responsibility part.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
I have no issue with requiring gun safety courses, but as you and Daman pointed out, even then it doesn't stop stupid.

The only time we usually find out that people with a gun are being irresponsible, is when something bad happens.

I'm still not sure how we fix that?

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't know that having laws that punish such irresponsible acts would "fix that" per say. What I do know is that we have laws against many things and they don't "fix that". What such laws do is provide a deterrent for such actions. Just like I mentioned with leaving guns in your vehicle. Tennessee actually passed a law that made your vehicle an extension of your home. It actually tells people that "it's your right to keep a gun in your vehicle". So in essence it helps protect and promote stupidity rather than punish it. There are lots of cases where people are being irresponsible with guns we don't hear about too.

And that's where the impasse seems to be. The thing that people keep hearing. 'Well it won't fix it so why bother trying to do anything?" We could use that same reasoning to do away with every law on the books.

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
I'm not saying we shouldn't try to fix it, I'm seriously not sure how, since they obviously won't have people walking around checking unlocked cars for gun violations. I don't know how else you would identify "irresponsible", until it becomes self evident.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Much the way you don't charge anyone else with a crime until they commit one.

#gmstrong
FrankZ Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Are you referring to TN 39-17-1313?

Where the firearm is allowed to be if the vehicle is unoccupied but must be in a locked compartment? This is clearly an allowance for "no gun signs" having force of law in TN. The statue does not make it "an extension of your home" you must have read a headline again and there you go believing what you are told.

Did you fail to read the statue? I know the answer.

P
Legend
Legend
P
We are having an adult conversation here between people that aren't hardliners or extremists. Better luck next time.

#gmstrong
FrankZ Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
We are having an adult conversation here between people that aren't hardliners or extremists. Better luck next time.

Deflection. You can't really stand to be wrong. Go get help.

A
Legend
Legend
A
So, was frank wrong?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Read the thread. I addressed firearms being stolen from both locked and unlocked vehicles. Nobody needs to be leaving their firearms in their vehicles especially overnight when many such guns are being stolen.

#gmstrong
FrankZ Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Read the thread. I addressed firearms being stolen from both locked and unlocked vehicles. Nobody needs to be leaving their firearms in their vehicles especially overnight when many such guns are being stolen.

Obviously you didn't answer the question you were asked, you dissembled again.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Was frank wrong?

See, guns being STOLEN is the problem. From cars (I struggle to believe people don't lock their cars though), or from a home. Crime was committed by the stealing of them. Yet you want to blame the victims of crime?

Legend
Legend
My use of the term "all out Ban" was incorrect, but I think you got the point. Bans aren't making cities any safer,
No I’m not getting your point. And what bans are you talking about?

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend

Go away you smug little troll. I didn’t type out any of my conclusions here. They came from the link you pretended to read. Geez. rolleyes

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
Yet you want to blame the victims of crime?

Like some of the extreme right wing media on Sandy Hook shooting victims? Yet no outrage there.

Like our judicial system does to rape victims? Yet no outrage there.

You need to get your priorities straight pal.

– Jackie Robinson
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral

Go away you smug little troll. I didn’t type out any of my conclusions here. They came from the link you pretended to read. Geez. rolleyes

I'm not going to stick around, but here is the text from the link you provided:

Cities with Strictest Gun Laws

by
phil
The USA allows local ordinances for gun laws. This means that cities, counties, and municipalities can be in charge of gun control. Many cities have strict gun laws, some even stricter than the state laws.

Some of the cities with strict gun laws in the USA include the following:

New York
New York is one of the most restrictive cities with respect to firearms and the 2md amendment in the US. The largest city in the country has an assault weapons ban. This ban prohibits semi-automatic rifles with detachable magazines, pistol grips, folding stocks, muzzle brakes, etc,. New York City law drags many modern and some not so modern semi-automatic sporting rifles into the penumbra of assault weapons.

The city also has magazine limits. Semi-automatic rifles and handguns were previously limited to ten rounds or fewer. However, a new law was passed where the magazine capacities were further reduced to a maximum of seven rounds.

Also, high-capacity magazines will have to either sell their magazines out of the city or surrender them with respect to ammunition under laws. All sales of ammunition will subject the buyer to a background check through NICS. This means that there are no internet or mail-order sales in New York. New York gun laws allow the scrutinization of the sale of large quantities of ammunition.

Another provision of New York gun law changes the doctor-patient confidentiality rules. So if a mental health professional reasonably believes that a patient poses a danger to either himself, herself, or a third party, that mental health professional is now required to turn that information over to the state. With the information, the city will be able to use its discretion in either suspending or revoking such an individual’s gun permit. In most cases, they will also seize the citizen’s weapons.

Any assault weapon owner in New York must register each and every weapon with the state.

Philadelphia
You can only carry a firearm in Philadelphia if you have a permit to carry. It is the only place in the commonwealth of Pennsylvania that requires it. Pennsylvania is otherwise an open-carry state meaning that you can have a firearm on display on your hip.

You can carry a rifle on the back of your truck anywhere else in Pennsylvania other than Philadelphia. In Philadelphia, people may get pulled over or arrested for what is called FUFA violations of the uniform firearm act which is codified under 61.05 6105-6106.

The legislature has intended that they do not want people carrying guns in Philadelphia. So in Philadelphia, in order to carry a gun, you have to conceal it. However, in the state of Pennsylvania, you cannot carry a concealed weapon, only an open weapon.

The way the law works, in order to carry a gun in Philadelphia you must have a concealed weapons permit. Additionally, that weapon has to be concealed at all times on the streets.

Baltimore
In Baltimore, if you want to get a concealed permit you are going to need 16 hours of training. You must pass the shooting portion with a 70 percent proficiency rate. The city also has requirements for people that can use a firearm, and you have to fall into this group.

Furthermore, you must have a good and substantial reason to carry a firearm in the city. You also have to get through an interview conducted by an investigator or a trooper, then wait about 90 days for the result.

Upon getting your gun permit, the city also requires that you put a little article in the newspaper about you being a permit holder.

NB: Have it in mind that you will spend a lot of money on the training.

Chicago
Chicago’s gun laws are some of the strictest in the country. There are still no legal gun shops or shooting ranges within city limits. A University of Chicago study said more than fifteen hundred guns traced to crimes in Chicago in the previous five years came from shucks far more than any other local dealer.

Although gun advocates dispute the study. They claim that authorities should focus on illegal gun supply not penalizing lawful gun sellers.

A lot of people on the gun control side would say that the problem Chicago and Nevada are facing is that there are more guns on the streets. Automatically, more guns equal more violence.

However, second amendment fanatics claim that the gun control the city imposes on a law-abiding citizen does nothing to stop the violence.

The city of Chicago has laws that could be used federally to prosecute anyone that is a felon. However, the Second Amendment cause is being taken up by a younger and more diverse demographic in the city. This turning-point conference is getting young conservatives together to discuss what matters to them.

There are those that believe that Chicago’s problems are not going to be fixed for the tightening or loosening of gun laws. To them, the issues go much deeper than that. They believe the problems are not going to be solved by the politicians but by the hard work and dedication of the people.

Las Vegas
Las Vegas has a relatively robust set of laws protecting gun ownership. Before, no state permit is required to buy or own a gun. And there is a ban on assault weapons or high-capacity magazines. Also, no age restrictions on owning a long gun in the state.

However, these laws were repealed in 2015, and city residents require the registration of firearms with police. Also, nearly all private gun sales or transfers first undergo a background check. These checks were typically run by a federally licensed firearms dealer. Some exemptions do apply including transfers between close family members for antique guns, transfer between law enforcement, and in cases of immediate danger.

Failure to comply with the law results in a gross misdemeanor with repeat offenses. This is punishable by a category C felony charge. The bill is an attempt to move forward with a stall valve initiative approved by voters of Nevada state in 2016. But was never implemented amid the FBI’s refusal to process the background checks.

However, the new law took effect on January 2nd, 2020, and required the state to process the checks. The delay to the law was because any bill amended or approved by voters will remain untouched for at least three years.

Background checks for guns purchased from federally licensed sellers have already been in place since 1998. A typical check can take anywhere between five to fifteen minutes and is processed by the state Department of Public Safety.

For NICS, the DPS checks the state and federal criminal records as well as mental health records.

People not allowed to purchase a gun in Las Vegas include:

Those who have served a year-plus prison sentence
People not legally in the country and
People with a misdemeanor or domestic violence conviction
An attempted buyer whose background check is denied can request more information about why their application was denied.

Las Vegas prohibits guns from being carried to schools or colleges, a private childcare facility, government buildings, or libraries that prohibit firearms. The City only allows people over the age of 21 to obtain a license to carry a concealed weapon, as long as they meet the necessary requirements.

Applicants must complete an 8-hour permit course and submit an application to the county sheriff. The Sheriff on the other hand is required to issue the license within 120 days or deny it for lawful reasons.

Open carry and concealed firearms are prohibited in federal buildings. This includes national parks, military bases, airports, public schools, childcare facilities, or in a public building with a no-gun sign or metal detector.

As with the law of Nevada state, Las Vegas will recognize concealed carry weapon permits from about two dozen other states.

San Francisco
The state of San Francisco has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. Concealed carry permits are difficult to get. Some semi-automatic weapons are illegal. And since July 2019, buying ammo will require background checks

The gun law in the city classifies some semi-automatic guns as “assault weapons” and ban magazines with the capacity that hold more than 10 rounds. San Francisco was one of the cities to first implement this law in the US, even before the federal government banned assault weapons.

Also, a center-fire rifle with a forward pistol grip and a detachable magazine is illegal in the city. However, building guns for personal use is not illegal in the city. But owners have to get a serial number from the state and etch it into the firearm.

San Francisco being in California means that their strict gun control is not going away anytime soon because the state government is investing a lot of money into their control laws. This means more money to seize guns from ineligible residents, enforce gun sales laws, and support the Firearms Violence Research Center.

1 member likes this: Day of the Dawg
Legend
Legend
I'm not going to stick around,

Best thing you ever posted on DT

– Jackie Robinson
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
From cars (I struggle to believe people don't lock their cars though), or from a home. Crime was committed by the stealing of them. Yet you want to blame the victims of crime?

I want people to use their brains.

Guns Stolen From Unlocked Cars Does Nothing But Hurt Us

I just read a headline out of Nashville, Tennessee that said 20 guns were stolen from cars between July 7 — July 13. Eight of those firearms were stolen from unlocked cars. That isn't quite half, but pretty close.

Generally speaking, people who steal guns don't usually plan to turn them into decorative pieces. Rather, crime is usually the intended outcome from guns that're stolen.

After all, they're stolen by criminals. Meaning that your gun could be used to hurt an innocent person. Your gun could be used to kill someone. Think about that next time you want to leave your gun in your unlocked car.

Breaking it down even further, it seems that another percentage of those unlocked cars even had the keys left inside them, or easily available.

This means that even if the gun is “locked in my trunk” they can get to it if you leave your keys in the ignition, glove box, or sun visor.

If you have a truck/car gun, make sure it is secured properly so it's not stolen and used for crime. In fact, everything you can do to make a criminal's job harder, the better off you'll be. Studies have shown that the harder a target is, the easier it is for the criminal to walk away and look for an easier target.

This means locking the car and taking the keys with you. If you must leave a gun in your car when you're not in it, at least lock it up in a safe designed to make it harder to get. If your car is equipped with an alarm, turn it on.

Every single thing you can do to make their lives harder, the better off you'll be in the long run because you won't be one of those statistics. Anything is better than leaving your gun in an unlocked car. Even if you think you live in a safe neighborhood, nothing is guaranteed.

You can't know who is coming through your town, looking for cars to burglarize. It's better to be safe than sorry. Leave your thoughts in the comments below.

https://www.concealedcarry.com/news/guns-stolen-from-unlocked-cars-does-nothing-but-hurt-us/

More than 70% of all guns stolen in 2022 taken from vehicles, Nashville police say

Of the 1,952 guns reported stolen last year, 1,378 were taken out of vehicles, according to the Metro Nashville Police Department. That accounts for more than 70% of all guns reported stolen in 2022.
Violent crime in Nashville up 4.7% in 2022, preliminary report finds

Many of those crimes also went “hand in hand” with vehicle theft, police said.

A review of last year’s stolen vehicle reports in Nashville revealed 74% of the 3,622 vehicles taken in 2022 were easy targets because the keys were left inside or made available to thieves.

Police said both stolen guns and vehicles are routinely involved in criminal activities such as carjackings and robberies.

The MNPD strongly encourages Nashvillians to lock their automobile doors, secure any valuables —especially guns— and remove the keys.

https://www.wkrn.com/news/local-new...aken-from-vehicles-nashville-police-say/

Keep struggling with that arch.

I blame the criminals for stealing the guns. I blame the gun owners for their negligence that is a contributing factor.

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Your answer- every adult should be packing---saving themselves and others. Another interesting site- https://everytownresearch.org/issue/child-teen-safety/- biggest safety issue for teens and small children- guns in society and AT HOME. Lastly, please ignore huge problem of SUICIDE in US. Guns ruin millions of families and you highlight your agenda which might save a couple hundred. Always- who,what,where,when,why, how- agendas. Peace.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
FrankZ Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by hitt
Your answer- every adult should be packing---saving themselves and others. Another interesting site- https://everytownresearch.org/issue/child-teen-safety/- biggest safety issue for teens and small children- guns in society and AT HOME. Lastly, please ignore huge problem of SUICIDE in US. Guns ruin millions of families and you highlight your agenda which might save a couple hundred. Always- who,what,where,when,why, how- agendas. Peace.

I never said"every adult should be packing".

Everytown is not an interesting site, it is a biased gun control site. Anything they produce is suspect and done to fit a specific agenda.

Suicide is a problem, but it is a people problem not a tool problem.

F
Legend
Legend
F

I don't think you can link guns and suicide. That is a completely different subject, the gun is just the method, if it wasn't there, they would use another method. Having a gun doesn't encourage the suicide decision.

Guns and homes/kids. This is one of the main reason I do support gun education before ownership. Owning a firearm does not mean one understands how to properly use, store, fire a firearm, or the consequences of using one.

Many people like to talk tough that "I would just shoot the guy if he blah blah blah". Even when justified, using your firearm comes with a lot of legal hassle, and even sometimes consequences. What one may think is justified, could be argued that it wasn't, and clearing your name is expensive and time consuming. Firearm ownership comes with a lot of responsibility, but politicians would rather argue hard lines guns/no funs, rather than compromise on education programs and responsible ownership. It's better for their political careers to not actually make decisions. "We're still working on that, but the other side refuses to budge" works every election cycle, to excuse their own inability to accomplish anything of substance.

FrankZ Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker

I don't think you can link guns and suicide. That is a completely different subject, the gun is just the method, if it wasn't there, they would use another method. Having a gun doesn't encourage the suicide decision.

Guns and homes/kids. This is one of the main reason I do support gun education before ownership. Owning a firearm does not mean one understands how to properly use, store, fire a firearm, or the consequences of using one.

Many people like to talk tough that "I would just shoot the guy if he blah blah blah". Even when justified, using your firearm comes with a lot of legal hassle, and even sometimes consequences. What one may think is justified, could be argued that it wasn't, and clearing your name is expensive and time consuming. Firearm ownership comes with a lot of responsibility, but politicians would rather argue hard lines guns/no funs, rather than compromise on education programs and responsible ownership. It's better for their political careers to not actually make decisions. "We're still working on that, but the other side refuses to budge" works every election cycle, to excuse their own inability to accomplish anything of substance.

Every round that leaves your gun has a lawyer attached. Even in a good shoot one round can change everything. When the situation becomes you care less about the attached lawyer and more about surviving then you are in a better place for a good shoot.

I will never believe in forced education, though I do believe people should take initiative to understand what they are dealing with. Unfortunately when you have govermandated trying it becomes a barrier to ownership and carry. It is also another avenue for anti-gun propaganda.

F
Legend
Legend
F
I don't think a 1 hour gun safety course is any more forced education than taking a driving test to get a license. We're not talking a semester worth of courses, but a simple course to explain the basics that "dad" would teach.

Heck even with my CCL, it takes almost an hour to finish a purchase at a store, you could easily get a basics course in that time. tongue

P
Legend
Legend
P
It's only a barrier for those who do not demand at least a minimum amount of responsibility be attached to owning a firearm. For everyone else it's a common sense measure. With great rights comes great responsibility.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

The huge problem of mass murder and suicide will never be improved in a country who views the two issues as a political issue to fight over rather than a social issue to solve.

FrankZ Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I don't think a 1 hour gun safety course is any more forced education than taking a driving test to get a license. We're not talking a semester worth of courses, but a simple course to explain the basics that "dad" would teach.

Heck even with my CCL, it takes almost an hour to finish a purchase at a store, you could easily get a basics course in that time. tongue

In MD it is an 8 hour class for a purchase license and 16 hour class for for carry. The GA is looking at expanding that. My carry class was about $400.

Back prior to 2013 there was no class requirement for carry. None. Then it looked like good and substantial would be struck down (it was for 100 days) and the MGA implemented 16 hours of training. They did not require training when you had to politically connected to get a carry license. Now with Bruen striking good and substantial for their barrier list they want to increase the time even more, and raise the fees. Because the common peasant may be able to carry arms, and the nobility doesn't like it. Mandated training is a barrier to the exercise of a right, and no other enumberate right requires it.

FrankZ Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
It's only a barrier for those who do not demand at least a minimum amount of responsibility be attached to owning a firearm. For everyone else it's a common sense measure. With great rights comes great responsibility.

No it is a barrier to people who can't just drop $400 on a training class.

Actual responsibility isn't being forced into doing something, but you wouldn't understand that.

Legend
Legend
I"m much more happy about this subject being discussed than worrying about Drag Shows. Was thinking about it and I don't ever remember a high school getting shot up over a drag show.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
F
Legend
Legend
F
I was talking more in line with that "right" to bear arms. If there was no license required, if there were no major hoops to jump through. Would you really want any Tom, Dick or Sally to walk in a buy a firearm with absolutely no knowledge or basic safety speech? Not talking about $400 classes and such, but a simple "Don't point it at people." type simple class, cause I know some folks who have owned guns their entire life who still act as if it can never go off and will show it to people cocked and loaded with no discretion of barrel direction. Over confidence if sometimes more dangerous than ignorance.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Mass Shootings Continued

Link Copied to Clipboard