Next Thread
Print Thread
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Bernie Sanders says it's time for a four-day work week

Bernie Sanders thinks you should work fewer days.

The progressive from Vermont chimed in on the four-day work week debate on Twitter, writing: "With exploding technology and increased worker productivity, it's time to move toward a four-day work week with no loss of pay. Workers must benefit from technology, not just corporate CEOs."

Sanders was referencing the latest findings out of the UK on the four-day work week. A large-scale pilot program, spanning over 3,000 workers, found that workers slept better, firms made more money, and employees were less likely to say they did not have enough time to care for loved ones.

As the Washington Post reports, most of the companies involved in the pilot plan on continuing to use a four-day work week.

The concept of a four-day work week has increasingly caught on over the last few years, with firms and researchers alike taking the plunge to cut back hours without reducing pay.

As Insider reported in December, 4 Day Week Global — a New Zealand-based nonprofit — conducted a study involving 33 participating companies that employed 969 people based in the US, Australia, Ireland, the United Kingdom, New Zealand, who adopted a four-day work week in a pilot program over a six-month period, and it found it was a "resounding success on virtually every dimension."

"Companies are extremely pleased with their performance, productivity and overall experience, with almost all of them already committing or planning to continue with the 4 day week schedule," the report said.

"Revenue has risen over the course of the trial. Sick days and absenteeism are down," it continued. "Companies are hiring. Resignations fell slightly, a striking finding during the 'Great Resignation.' Employees are similarly enthusiastic. And climate impacts, while less well-measured, are also encouraging."

Some US companies have started testing out the idea, as well. A Chick-fil-A owner in Florida launched a three-day work week in November, and he received 400 applications for just one job opening due to the popularity of a shortened workweek.

This isn't the first time a four-day work week has caught the attention of lawmakers — the Congressional Progressive Caucus previously endorsed the "32-Hour Workweek Act," with Caucus Chair Pramila Jayapal saying in a statement at the time that it's "past time that we put people and communities over corporations and their profits — finally prioritizing the health, wellbeing, and basic human dignity of the working class rather than their employers' bottom line."

Rep. Mark Takano, a Democrat from California, proposed that legislation. He previously told Insider that a 32-hour work week — which would become the new standard under his proposal — would help Americans craft the new normal of work that they've been demanding.

"I think there was a Great Realization among a lot of Americans — how hard they're working and that they wanted to move on from the jobs that they were working at," Takano said. "So a four-day work week is something that connects a lot of Americans."

https://www.businessinsider.com/bernie-sanders-say-its-time-for-four-day-work-week-2023-2

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Just saw this reported on the Today show this morning. I guess the UK overwhelmingly love this. So you have employers that love it and employees that love it. Why not try it here.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Makes sense. Won’t happen.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I work 32 hours in a 5 day week. Four 6.5 hour days and one 6 hour day. I don’t get paid for 40 but I still earn full time benefits. I worked hard to financially put myself in this place that allows for less hours. Living below my means. I still save 25% of my income in my 401k.
I don’t know how anyone gets anything done in their lives working 40 hours. How can one have a decent work life balance giving a third of your waking hours to your profession? By the time you add your commuting time it’s more that a third. Who has time to grocery shop, errand run, etc and still have anything resembling a life… except for two days of recovery on the weekends? It’s absurd in my mind.
Now granted I spend time in my shop creating. This easily places me over 40 hours per week, but it’s my passion so those hours are a reprieve from everything else. Not a time suck like my actual career.
My GF, also a nurse, works 4 eight hour shifts.
Screw 40 hour weeks. Screw the 5 on 2 off 40 years grind.
Break free from it if you can. You’ll never be on your deathbed wishing you worked more. Of this I’m sure.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
j/c:

I work four ten hour days at Amazon per week. Having three days off every week is awesome!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd love to see Bernie Sanders work 4 days in a week.

That guy only works 190 (ish) days a year now.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

You're full of it. Bernie is the hardest-working congressional politician in America, hands down.

Legend
Legend

Can you provide his schedule so we can add up the hours... Then give me the schedule of every senator both republican and Democrat and independent..Let's add them all up and see where Sanders stands..

You are just making stuff up.. you can't possibly know how many days he works. All you can do is look at the number of days the senate is in session and check to see if he was there. I think you'll find he's there and others are not.

I'm tired of all these bone heads on FOX and other right leaning networks lying about who did what. These are the same ass hats that lied and said Trump won and that there was Election Fraud while off air they knew it was all lies. I'm sure that's where you got your info.. If not, then you are just making stuff up. That would make you the George Santos of Dawgtalkers.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
I agree with Bernie on this one!

Most of my staff work 4 10s and they love it... I'd love to be about to do 32 hours a week and still be considered full time... 4 8s would be amazing

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by jaybird
I agree with Bernie on this one!

Most of my staff work 4 10s and they love it... I'd love to be about to do 32 hours a week and still be considered full time... 4 8s would be amazing

and actually during the heart of covid I was forced to do 4 hours because they reduced our hours... and at least one of those had to be remote... I'm an admin in health care, so still had a lot of staff working onsite but they wanted to reduce the number of people on campus, so all leaders were made to work 4 days a week with a rotating day off and then remote one day a week... I actually really enjoyed it... got a good amount done on my remote days as well...

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg

You're full of it. Bernie is the hardest-working congressional politician in America, hands down.

In 2022 they were in session a total of 164 days

history.house.gov/Institution/Session-Dates/110-Current/

Running for president/re-election campaigning etc doesn't count. He did that in his own free time and wasn't part of his job.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
So? He works in the field during that downtime. Haven't you seen videos of him doing town halls about different topics in different states? He acts as the ambassador sharing brilliant progressive ideas in deep red states where misinformation is off the hook..He also rides coach on planes and takes buses and other public transportation. He talks to people about the political things that are important to them in a personal and informative way. Bernie is the kind of politician that listens and acts. What else can you ask of the guy?

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 02/22/23 09:41 PM.

Legend
Legend
Whenever a liberal suggests a positive. Cuckoo republicans feel the need to bring up negativity about them.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg

In 2022 they were in session a total of 164 days

history.house.gov/Institution/Session-Dates/110-Current/

Running for president/re-election campaigning etc doesn't count. He did that in his own free time and wasn't part of his job.

you may or may not be aware of this, but Sanders wasn't running for President in 2022.. Just in case you weren't aware, there was NOBODY running for president other than Trump in 2022

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
And Nikki Haley.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Bernie Sanders says it's time for a four-day work week

Link Copied to Clipboard