Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2004914 02/23/23 12:48 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
When he was drafted. I think Berry thought he would develop. All you heard about him was how bright he was and of course his speed.

Recently I listened to a Mary K podcast. She was on with some others and told the story of how Anthony could not get through a receiving drill in camp.
The drill where you have to power through dummies. It was embarrassing. Then they talked about his fragile ego and his lack of confidence.

What was displayed on the field when he did play was fear. He looked intimidated and afraid to fail. Apparently he has some mental issue of some kind.

What is clear is this. He must show he can contribute or he can not have a roster spot. This camp is his last chance IMO.

I hope he can overcome whatever is the problem but the team can not afford to wait any longer.

1 member likes this: 3rd_and_20
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Anthony Schwartz...looks like Jane ...plays like Jane.
Schwartz encompasses all that why Berry is not fit
To be a GM. He looks at combine numbers and highlights
On YouTube. It's time for Berry to draft actual football
Players who love football and aren't head cases
Anybody that could spell football could see Schwartz was a 7th
RD pick at best .

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
At least for me, I was hoping he could be the speedster on PR duties once Grant got hurt.

Oh well, not our new Metcalf.

P
Legend
Legend
P
He was a player that was drafted well above his draft projection and as it turned out in this case, the media was right. It's hard to put a positive spin on this this pick though I'm sure some will try.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I really think playing professional NFL football is too much for him, especially physically, and he knows it.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The drafting of players is not science.

No GM who ever held the position hits on all picks.

To say that Berry only looks at highlights and Combine scores is total BS. You know better.

You may as well say he puts names on the wall and those darts to determine picks.

The decision to draft any player in any round is exhaustive. The resources spent to scout and the time spent to select players they want to draft involves many people. They do there best. Many times duds still get drafted.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I understand what you're saying. And when it comes to players all valued close in value at that point in the draft you are correct. But when you make a huge reach by drafting a guy projected to go in the sixth round, in the third round, that's when you are trying to pretend to be the smartest guy in the room when obviously he wasn't. This was an extremely poor, maybe the worst example you could have come up with in regards to Berry and the draft. You can certainly argue he has done average at best in the draft. But there's nothing about this pick that can be excused.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
j/c...

As far as draft day goes, we had already traded a pick away to move up and snag JOK.

We traded one of our 3rds... we had two (#89 and #91)

Unfortunately, Berry didn't insist on #91, we traded #89.

Carolina flipped that pick to Houston, who leapfrogged us, to use our own original pick (#89), and draft WR Nico Collins two spots ahead of us. He was about the only value left at WR and I was hoping he would slip to us. The draft was very, very top-heavy at WR and anyone worth their salt was gone by midway through the 2nd.

So... Schwartz was probably next on the chart based on upside alone; because they felt most candidates were a crapshoot (they were).

I can forgive the pick itself as the real mistake was trading the higher pick of the two imo. We were coming off a close loss to KC in the playoffs and the narrative was that we simply couldn't stretch the field. We missed out on Collins and figured we would roll the dice to throw some world class speed into the mix.

======

As far as Schwartz goes. It was real easy to see, and right away. Dude is afraid of the game and doesn't belong on the field. It's the first time I've ever written a player off that quickly as he earned my moniker #notarealfootballplayer. I felt dirty even saying it, but it was overwhelmingly evident. I begged him to prove me wrong, knowing pretty-damned-well he wouldn't.

I will be surprised if this is not his last year in the league.

You win some, you lose some.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I am not arguing. I posted the thread and stated what I thought about Schwartz.

What can be considered a reach by some sometimes works out. It happens all the time.

Mock drafts and internet scouting reports are fun but they maybe incorrect as far what round player should be drafted in.

Hell guys get picked in the first round every year that people say is a reach.

So far Schwartz has been invisible. This could be his last chance. It happens.

Hell we drafted Manziel and Trent Richardson in the first round. They didn't last either.

FATE #2004952 02/23/23 04:06 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by FATE
j/c...

As far as draft day goes, we had already traded a pick away to move up and snag JOK.

Carolina flipped that pick to Houston, who leapfrogged us, to use our own original pick (#89), and draft WR Nico Collins two spots ahead of us. He was about the only value left at WR and I was hoping he would slip to us. The draft was very, very top-heavy at WR and anyone worth their salt was gone by midway through the 2nd.

So... Schwartz was probably next on the chart based on upside alone; because they felt most candidates were a crapshoot (they were).

I can forgive the pick itself as the real mistake was trading the higher pick of the two imo. We were coming off a close loss to KC in the playoffs and the narrative was that we simply couldn't stretch the field. We missed out on Collins and figured we would roll the dice to throw some world class speed into the mix.

======

As far as Schwartz goes. It was real easy to see, and right away. Dude is afraid of the game and doesn't belong on the field. It's the first time I've ever written a player off that quickly as he earned my moniker #notarealfootballplayer. I felt dirty even saying it, but it was overwhelmingly evident. I begged him to prove me wrong, knowing pretty-damned-well he wouldn't.

You lose when you haven't scouted the players properly. Berry made a super stretch for Swartz while Amon-Ra St. Brown USC was just sitting there for the taking. It's true that St. Brown was injured halfway through his final season and was cause for his drop in the draft, but he now has 2,073 yards receiving in 2-years in Detroit and Berry should have known his ability and evaluated the players accordingly. Berry had 2 chancers to draft St. Brown passing on him twice selecting Schwartz in the 3rd and Hudson in the 4th. Picking Swartz wasn't just a miss by Berry, it was a blown opportunity to get one of the brightest young WR stars in the league.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
P
Legend
Legend
P
That's why you can look at each pick on an individual basis. This one stunk to high heaven. And I think you're using the term "reach" very loosely here. Sure, you'll see picks often times deviate from the projection by maybe a half a round, a round or even two rounds in very rare cases. But the cases where huge reaches like Schwartz happen rarely ever work out. that's known as the exception to the rule rather than the rule itself. We're talking about a reach of three rounds compared to most projections. And it depends on who you mean by "we". It certainly wasn't the people in charge now who did that. The people who did that were fired a long time ago. That should tell you something.

#gmstrong
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
It's evident that drafting is not Berry's strong point.
He has yet to draft 1 player that is in the NFLs top 100 players.
Heck Sashi Brown at least hit on Garrett and Njoku.
Here's all you need to know on AB.
He drafted Schwartz yet passes on George Pickens who
The Browns have to face twice a year now for years to come.
Drafting is the lifeblood of a NFL franchise.
And with Berry happily giving the Texans 3 1st RD picks
Now it's even more urgent he has to HIT HOMERUNS
from the 2nd RD on back. Not just role players or a starter
He has to hit impact players.
And judging by his draft history he hasn't even pulled that off

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Schwartz was drafted in the 3rd round in 2021.
Pickens was drafted by PIT in the 2nd round Pick #52 in 2022 before the Browns had a pick since they traded their 2nd round pick but could of drafted Pickens with no trade. The move left the Browns with no 1st or 2nd round pick in 2022.

The Browns had traded their 1st round pick to Houston in the DeShawn Watson deal.

The Browns then traded their 2nd round pick on day 2 of the draft to Houston.

CLEVELAND RECEIVED:

Round 3, 2022: No. 68 overall -- CB Martin Emerson
Round 4, 2022: No. 108 -- DT Perrion Winfrey
Round 4, 2022: No. 124 (from Philadelphia) -- K Cade York

HOUSTON RECEIVED:

Round 2, 2022: No. 44 overall -- WR John Metchie III

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by steve0255
Schwartz was drafted in the 3rd round in 2021.
Pickens was drafted by PIT in the 2nd round Pick #52 in 2022 before the Browns had a pick since they traded their 2nd round pick but could of drafted Pickens with no trade. The move left the Browns with no 1st or 2nd round pick in 2022.

The Browns had traded their 1st round pick to Houston in the DeShawn Watson deal.

The Browns then traded their 2nd round pick on day 2 of the draft to Houston.

CLEVELAND RECEIVED:

Round 3, 2022: No. 68 overall -- CB Martin Emerson
Round 4, 2022: No. 108 -- DT Perrion Winfrey
Round 4, 2022: No. 124 (from Philadelphia) -- K Cade York

HOUSTON RECEIVED:

Round 2, 2022: No. 44 overall -- WR John Metchie III
Yes if Berry would have stayed at 44 he could have selected
George Pickens. Which I thought was automatic
That trade with Houston came out of left field.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by steve0255
Originally Posted by FATE
j/c...

======

You lose when you haven't scouted the players properly. Berry made a super stretch for Swartz while Amon-Ra St. Brown USC was just sitting there for the taking. It's true that St. Brown was injured halfway through his final season and was cause for his drop in the draft, but he now has 2,073 yards receiving in 2-years in Detroit and Berry should have known his ability and evaluated the players accordingly. Berry had 2 chancers to draft St. Brown passing on him twice selecting Schwartz in the 3rd and Hudson in the 4th. Picking Swartz wasn't just a miss by Berry, it was a blown opportunity to get one of the brightest young WR stars in the league.

It's hard to believe Amon-Ra St. Brown was passed over 111 times and was the 16th WR taken in the draft. He slipped through the cracks because of the injury and the regression as a junior... he dropped a lot of passes, seemed to lack concentration and looked lazy (at times) running routes. He also couldn't block a tackling dummy.

I'm not arguing that Schwartz was a terrible pick. But if teams were to redraft every two years they would admit that 80% of their picks were missed opportunities. I guess you can chalk it all up to not being able to scout players if you want to. Makes you wonder how a GM like Dorsey flushed the entire 2019 draft down the toilet.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

I believe the saying goes something like this...
but that's what the data told the draft team to do...draft Schwartz in the 3rd round..!

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
1 member likes this: Tackman
Legend
Legend
j/c...

What's crazy to me is the Browns' ongoing inability to draft a game-changing WR in any round, in any draft, in any decade, with any FO.

It looked like we finally did it in the 2012 NFL Supplemental Draft... but then he got high.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Monday morning quarterbacking.

I wish I would have.

Please you think that every team does not have regrets. Purdy.

Legend
Legend
Without a massive turnaround, this experiment should end before summer does.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Last draft I posted videos of Pickens. I wanted to draft him. His tape was crazy good.

I could not understand why he was considered a second round pick. I wrote at the time that he had first rounder written all over him.

I know he missed games from injury but, apparently there were some maturity issues.

Schwartz may have been impressive in interviews and workouts. When someone is that fast. They get attention. His tape was not bad. He tracked the ball well and made catches.

I am sure he is fully aware of where he stands. It appears from outside looking in that mentally he has a hurdle to get over.

You have to have that dawg inside. Jarvis was nothing special physically. But he was all guts.

I wonder if Schwartz has done anything out of the ordinary to get ready for camp?

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by bonefish
Last draft I posted videos of Pickens. I wanted to draft him. His tape was crazy good.

I could not understand why he was considered a second round pick. I wrote at the time that he had first rounder written all over him.

I know he missed games from injury but, apparently there were some maturity issues.

Schwartz may have been impressive in interviews and workouts. When someone is that fast. They get attention. His tape was not bad. He tracked the ball well and made catches.

I am sure he is fully aware of where he stands. It appears from outside looking in that mentally he has a hurdle to get over.

You have to have that dawg inside. Jarvis was nothing special physically. But he was all guts.

I wonder if Schwartz has done anything out of the ordinary to get ready for camp?
Being a ardent follower of SEC football since my preteen years sometimes
You get a certain feel of players from certain schools
In the 80s UT put out quality WRs. Auburn produced RBs even
Before Bo Jackson. The Tide was a factory of wrecking machines
On the defensive side.but certain colleges simply do not
Produce NFL big time production at certain positions
Auburn is not a school that produces WRs. Never has been
Hello Ricardo Louis or Sammy Coates ???
Schwartz ran a limited route tree at Auburn. Didn't have to
Face press coverage too much
He rarely owned top tier CBs downfield. In other
Words most of his grabs were vs bums now in the XFL or
CFL..his tape was not impressive at all. The Tigers
Rarely even used him on jet sweeps

Schwartz might interview well or be mature but it really
Doesn't matter if you cant ball out
Pickens maturity issues were overblown.
Heck the Browns drafted a immature QB only a few years back

Want to draft a WR that can produce big time in the NFL
Try Clemson OSU Alabama or LSU for starters
If you play WR at Auburn chances are you will flop in the NFL

V
Legend
Legend
V
A lot of anguish over a 3rd round pick. Yet, when I brought up DPJ being picked in the 6th round, there were only a couple of short replies.

bone, how do you not know that the same dudes who trash the Browns on every post they make will make a big production out of this draft choice? There have been multiple threads about Schwartz.

He stinks. It was a bad pick. The world keeps spinning. Not a huge deal, especially since drafting DPJ in the 6th isn't even worth talking about.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Since we need receivers Schwartz, Bell and Woods are recent draft picks.

They have to show something or else; we need to go with a known free agent.

Actually I am not stressed about receivers. I would like one of these guys to show up.

Bell was good against man. Maybe he takes a big stride forward.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I think receivers are almost as difficult to draft as corners.

What round is a worthy investment for a one-dimensional role receiver?

If Schwartz became simply average, he becomes a viable weapon.

It is very debatable where Schwartz should have been drafted. His speed alone is very appealing.

Again, if Schwartz is simply average, I don't think we're having these discussions.

Legend
Legend
I had high hopes for him,,, I may have been wrong.(I'm not alone I think) I think he'll stand for another year and then we'll see. That much speed is killer.

Last edited by Damanshot; 02/23/23 08:22 PM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
A 25 post thread about Anthony Schwartz? Must be silly season.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
A
Legend
Legend
A
Not if you can't catch. Not if you're scared.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Schwartz is just another Travis Benjamin wanting to be a DeShaun Jackson.

Tiny players have to be really special. So far he has proven to be of limited capability.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
The question is how many more Anthony Schwartz types
Can we trust AB not to draft this year? He loves developmental
Draft picks

1 member likes this: THROW LONG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Experience teaches lessons.

Berry will do everything he can to build a championship roster.

Just like every GM employed in the NFL.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
Not if you can't catch. Not if you're scared.

True... He doesn't appear timid about it, but the results don't lie...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
Schwartz is just another Travis Benjamin wanting to be a DeShaun Jackson.

Hey now. Benjamin actually contributed....he averaged about 500yds/50+rec a season and had 19td receptions in his first 7 years in the league.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
2 members like this: WooferDawg, AZBrown
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
bone, how do you not know that the same dudes who trash the Browns on every post they make will make a big production out of this draft choice? There have been multiple threads about Schwartz.

He stinks. It was a bad pick. The world keeps spinning. Not a huge deal, especially since drafting DPJ in the 6th isn't even worth talking about.

Since you happen to be the thread police around here and demand everyone stay on topic, it seems as if you've decided to employ the "do as I say and not as I do" tactic.

This is a Schwartz thread. The discussion is about Shcwartz. Not about DPJ. You have chosen to try and divert the thread and target people who are being open and honest about the actual topic. Typical.

You always have the option of opening a DPJ thread to continuing to do something you criticize others of doing.

#gmstrong
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
The guy is a BUST, period. I do realize and empathize he may have some issues, however this is the NFL and we know what that stands for. He is a track guy who came from a garbage offense and he got drafted on the P word because we were desperate for that take the top off the defense guy. Well we still don’t have that guy along with only 1 legit LB, 1 safety and maybe 1 DL. Mr Berry and company better hit a home run in FA and are limited Draft picks or he will be in trouble IMHO.

1 member likes this: HotBYoungTurk
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I bet when Schwartz plays Madden and goes on season mode
He doesn't even throw to himself

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Dude that is Hilarious. I just watched old football movie Necessary Roughness and the coach screams “Don’t throw it to Stone Hands”.

Legend
Legend
J/c

I think the struggles have turned into a mental thing and he will be hard pressed to recover. He simply lacks the body type, toughness, and hands to ever be a good contributor IMO. Wasted pick

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Caused more turnovers than big plays. That's all that needs said about his career at this point.

Legend
Legend
No doubt, well said

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Ditto, he has world class speed....BUT head case, stone hands, AND injury prone. Put folk in him and move him out.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Anthony Schwartz

Link Copied to Clipboard