Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
It's National Pancake Day.

2 members like this: OldColdDawg, jfanent
Legend
Legend
It would be a real bad day being in front of Teller when he is pulling on a run play.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

[quote=MemphisBrownie]j/c:

That certainly makes no sense...all this new offensive support and Stefanski "insists" he will call the plays...

If the Browns red zone offense does not improve, there will no doubt about who gets the blame.

What ever Stefanski...as long as the Browns win, you will look like a genius....lose, and there will be no doubt about who is responsible.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I love the shots where the camera is behind the defense and you can see Big, Bad Wyatt completely filling the hole and you can sense the LBer or DB saying: "Oh $%!+! The last clip was one such example of that. He's a mountain of a man who moves well and likes has a mean streak.

Btw: So glad to hear that Stefanski is calling plays again next year. We are making a lot of good decisions w/our coaching staff this off-season!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't have a huge problem with KS calling the plays other than he tries to out think himself at crucial times. Example: There were a few times when we were inside the opponents 10 yard line and had goal to go and KS went with an empty backfield, when you have one of the best runningbacks and one of the best Olines why wouldn't you at least make your opponent think you might run the ball.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
3 members like this: WSU Willie, Jester, PastorMarc
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't really have a problem with him calling the plays. What I hope he does do is use the vast experience of the new hires to help develop which plays he calls. As much as people protest otherwise, is play calling could use some refinement at the very least.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
As much as people protest otherwise, is play calling could use some refinement at the very least.

Are you capable of making one post where you don't criticize others for their opinions and just give your opinion? For example, mac was not happy about Stefanski calling the plays, but he did not call anyone out. I gave my opinion that I was happy that Stefanski was going to call the plays. I did not call anyone out who thought otherwise. 66 was somewhat neutral and did not call anyone out.

It's almost always you who feels the need to call out others for their opinions that don't align w/yours. It's like having a 12 year old brat on the board. Grow the hell up!

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Kevin Stefanski will call plays in 2023 and it's the right call

Jacob Roach
March 1, 2023 3:20 pm ET

Again, head coach Kevin Stefanski was asked about play calling for the Cleveland Browns offense next season. He confirmed that he would be the offensive play caller for the fourth straight season and it’s the right decision.

No playcaller is perfect but with Stefanski calling plays Jacoby Brissett had his best and most efficient season. Brissett deserves credit too but Stefanski found the most effective ways to use his abilities better than anyone else in Brissett’s career. Deshaun Watson has said multiple times that Stefanski and his playcalling are great and part of the reason he is in Cleveland. Time will tell if it works out in 2023 but this is the best decision for the offense.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/202...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

Legend
Legend

1 member likes this: dawglover05
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by bonefish

I was just gonna post this! Great listen. Love Coach's confidence and his vision of what it is going to look like with the coaching movement.

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
That was good. Thank you.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
It is a good listen. After hearing it one is inclined to think we finally have gotten things right. One is also inclined to think that if we make the right personnel moves we could make a jump like Cincy did the last 2 years.

Legend
Legend
I think the changes made to the coaching staff needed to be made.

Change is not always good unless the moves made really improve the product.

It is is interesting to see former front office people and some of the coaches receive promotions when moving on.

We know Bill Callahan is considered a top OL coach. Jim Schwartz is a respected defensive coordinator. Bubba Ventrone from what I have read seems to be well thought of.

I like AVP. Actually I am surprised he has not been sought after as a HC. He appears to be a good communicator with a wealth of experience. I am happy that he is the OC and QB coach. One voice takes away confusion. I think he will work well with DW.

Listening to KS I am always impressed by him. I like his demeanor. I think it is important to be even keeled as a head coach.

I am hopeful that the coaching changes and having DW ready to go opening day will lead to success.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Fate had mentioned it previously regarding the Browns waiting to restructure Watson to stick it to the Ravens. Here is the impact.

Zak Hites
@ZakHites55
Replying to
@JackDuffin
Arent the franchise tag values already locked in though?

Jack Duffin
@JackDuffin
Replying to
@ZakHites55
Non exclusive ones aren’t

https://twitter.com/JackDuffin/status/1631001419862949888

5 members like this: OldColdDawg, Versatile Dog, FL_Dawg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

I think Duffin's got it backwards. Non-exclusive (NEFT) is finalized now, the exclusive franchise tag (EFT) is finalized after free agency sometime in April. I'm not sure where he pulled March 7th from. I guess it's the last day for Baltimore to declare Lamar their franchise player. However, I think the EFT number would still go down if we adjusted Watson's contract between then and the "end" of free agency (as far as compensatory pick ramifications, I believe.)

If they do go EFT, I'm not sure the Ravens end up paying it. They could just negotiate a trade for more than the 2 1sts proscribed by the NEFT.

Last edited by Bull_Dawg; 03/01/23 09:17 PM. Reason: apparently didn't hit reply

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If they go EFT they are guaranteeing that salary. NEFT means they get 2 1st round picks if they don't match the offer. I don't know the dates all that happens...

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Interesting. I do not recall such a report before.

https://nflpa.com/nfl-player-team-report-cards

Legend
Legend
Damn. Can't even say "at least were not Detroit"

21st of 32 Teams

BREAKDOWN OF KEY CATEGORIES

[Linked Image from nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net]

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Just honestly wondering:

Does our despicable "Weight Room" score have something to do with available, modern equipment, acceptable supervision and off-field recommendations or......I don't know what. Cleanliness?

If we got an A plus for strength coaches, aren't the strength coaches in the weight room with the players?

Legend
Legend
Weight Room
D+
TIED FOR 29TH
The weight room is not a room at all. Currently, it takes up 15-20 yards of the already small indoor turf practice field.

Legend
Legend
Seems like a lot of the ratings are based on space and amenities... all the way down to family waiting areas.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Glass half-full..the Browns excel in the people department!

I imagine the facilities will be expanded and enhanced once the Haslams buy everyone out of their homes bordering Berea HQ.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

I thought that they just redid the weight room fairly recently?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
rofl

Legend
Legend
interesting.... obviously need to update our facilities (and add a dome/roof).... along with improving the nutrition department...

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Like I said previously.

Thanks Jack.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 03/02/23 01:14 AM.

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Here is a bit more insight on the report.

Browns ranked 21st in NFLPA's free agency report card

Cory Kinnan
March 1, 2023 5:00 pm ET

Every year, the NFLPA releases a free agency report card that grades every NFL team on a variety of categories from weight room facilities, to nutrition and dieting, locker room conditions, strength and training staff, and more. The Cleveland Browns ranked 21st of 32 teams in this report that was released today.

An overview of the report, there were some things to like, and some things that fell way below standard in Berea:

“The Cleveland Browns were ranked 21st in the team guide. The player respondents expressed two major complaints – the first of which is the weight room. It currently takes up about 15 – 20 yards of their indoor practice facility, which the players stated was already small.

The second issue pertained to the locker room, which the players believe is one of the smallest in the league, resulting in many players feeling like they do not have enough personal space.

On a positive note, the team’s training staff and strength coaches are very well liked, and players feel like they add to their overall success. Also, 100% of the locker room believes that owner Jimmy Haslem is willing to invest money into improving the facility.”

The training staff of the Browns received an A, the strength staff received an A+, and the training room received a B+. The locker room and weight room, however, were both given a grade of D+.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
In other news:

Report: Browns want new stadium with roof, FirstEnergy Stadium 'quickly and poorly built'

Cory Kinnan
February 27, 2023 7:54 pm ET

FirstEnergy Stadium, the home of the Cleveland Browns, is now the 10th oldest stadium in the NFL as it now stands at 24 years old. And on the same day in which ownership purchased a stake in the Milwaukee Bucks, the Haslams are now pushing for a new stadium. And one with a roof.

According to Ken Prendergast of NEOtrans, the Haslams have concluded that FirstEnergy Stadium is beyond renovation and that it was, “quickly and poorly built and may not be affordably retrofitted with upgrades like wider concourses or a roof, be it retractable or fixed.”

Prendergast reported over the summer that the Haslams are eyeing a stadium with a roof as, “the city-owned stadium is used only 10-12 times per year; a retractable or fixed roof would allow it to be used more often.”

The Buffalo Bills are set to open a new stadium in 2026, and the Browns may be next.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
And...

Browns' season ticket prices once again on the rise

Cory Kinnan
February 27, 2023 6:43 pm ET

The Cleveland Browns are once again raising their pricing on season tickets despite two off seasons under head coach Kevin Stefanski. According to Cleveland dot com’s Mary Kay Cabot, “approximately 40 percent of the stadium [is] increasing by $5 and another 30 percent by less than $10.”

The price difference is not enormous for those season ticket holders, but they better hope the Browns take full advantage of the NFL Scouting Combine this week to improve the roster to get back into the playoffs in 2023. Fans are losing their patience and their money. Can the Browns reward them with another trip to the playoffs this season?

2nd String
2nd String
Originally Posted by jaybird
interesting.... obviously need to update our facilities (and add a dome/roof)…. along with improving the nutrition department...

No dome. That is what makes playing in Cleveland a disadvantage to the visiting team.

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Southwestdawg
interesting.... obviously need to update our facilities (and add a dome/roof)…. along with improving the nutrition department...

No dome. That is what makes playing in Cleveland a disadvantage to the visiting team.

Because this has worked out so many times in our favor!

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: Hammer, AZBrown
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

Because this has worked out so many times in our favor!

100%! Biggest myth ever perpetuated is that the Browns have some sort of advantage with an outdoor stadium.

The Haslams will build a dome, ideally retractable, but a dome nonetheless. Long overdue.

O
Legend
Legend
O

ikr, look at how many Super Bowls that advantage has gotten us too.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
A retractable dome would be ideal if they can generate the funds for it. I think a dome is almost needed in cold-weather cities. It's pretty dumb to have such a high-cost structure sit empty for months on end.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg

ikr, look at how many Super Bowls that advantage has gotten us too.

Yes, wasn't the New Orleans game (southern dome team) playing in very cold Cleveland supposed to give the Browns a decided advantage?

B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
And in tangentially related news…

According to the Plain Dealer Householder was introduced to First Energy CEO by…wait for it…Jimmy Haslam.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
A retractable dome would be ideal if they can generate the funds for it. I think a dome is almost needed in cold-weather cities. It's pretty dumb to have such a high-cost structure sit empty for months on end.

Really j/c, so don't feel like I'm picking. Everybody shares your mentality, I'm definitely in the minority.

I know what you're saying, and everybody says it when discussing a dome for a cold weather city; but what use are we getting out of a dome while the team is not playing? Anyone ever advocating points to conventions, etc; but there is over 2 million square ft at the IX, and much easier ingress and egress.

Don't get me wrong... everything else stands true: stadium is getting old, no character, quickly built without much imagination... and I would love to have a retractable dome. But team owners always trying to 'sell' it to taxpayers under the guise of 'lost opportunity' for the city cracks me up.

The football season doesn't end until January. What are we doing here in February and March once we have a roof?

Here's everything scheduled at the stadium this year besides Browns games:

Event Schedule

Sort By: Date

Cleveland Monsters vs. Wilkes Barre Scranton Penguins
MAR 4
Sat • 1:00pm
See Tickets

Monster Jam
JUN 3
Sat • 7:00pm
See Tickets

Here's past concerts (and big concerts are almost always "summer tours" anyway)

Past concerts See all

Saturday 13 August 2022

Machine Gun Kelly
Avril Lavigne, Travis Barker, Trippie Redd, Willow Smith, and 44phantom

FirstEnergy Stadium, Cleveland, OH, US

Thursday 14 July 2022

Mötley Crüe and Def Leppard
Poison, Joan Jett & The Blackhearts, and Classless Act

Wednesday 25 July 2018

Beyoncé and Jay-Z
Chloe x Halle and DJ Khaled

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FATE
I know what you're saying, and everybody says it when discussing a dome for a cold weather city; but what use are we getting out of a dome while the team is not playing? Anyone ever advocating points to conventions, etc; but there is over 2 million square ft at the IX, and much easier ingress and egress.

The IX Center is a dilapidated building that should be razed and is way out by the airport. You want large events to be held downtown where there are restaurants, bars and other forms of entertainment.

A dome gets the city a Super Bowl, Final Four, the NFL Combine, Conference Championship games when the NFL inevitably starts to rotate conference championships like they do the Super Bowl, college bowl games.

Also, as ticket prices continue to soar, people do not want to pay $1k or more for seats to sit in the cold and rain for 3hrs. See this year's Saints game. Season ticket holders basically tossed that money spent on that game in the trash.

I would like to see the Haslams put up at least 50% of the cost but either way, they're going to get their new stadium.

Side note: The Michigan vs Ohio State hockey match seemed to big a draw a couple weeks ago.

Legend
Legend
I am interested in your comment about upgrading the nutrition offerings. Please elaborate. To what are you taking exception?
What improvements or changes would suit you? We need beer flights maybe.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted by Bard Dawg
I We need beer flights maybe.

Agreed.

It's the old school, 7 day-a-week red meat, real beer the night and morning before the game regimen.

Those guys were meaner and stronger than anyone we have now. Made little money and no complaints.

The iron content in certain beers is important.

1 member likes this: FATE
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News and Notes

Link Copied to Clipboard