Print Thread
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
The Haslam Sports Group already owns the Browns and Crew in Ohio

The Haslam Sports Group has owned the Cleveland Browns since purchasing the organization in 2012. Since then, they have also acquired the Columbus Crew soccer club.

It seems the family is not content with owning just two sports franchises. Jimmy Haslam’s brother, Bill, purchased the Nashville Predators of the NFL recently and now the Haslam Sports Group is in talks to purchase a significant share of the Milwaukee Bucks of the NBA.

Haslam’s ownership of the Browns has been a tumultuous one with significant turnover all around the organization on a regular basis. While the team has willing spent tons of money on players, coaches and front office staff, ownership has constantly meddled in the franchise to its detriment.

Many believe that the Haslams were key initiators in the controversial acquisition of Deshaun Watson this offseason despite numerous off-the-field allegations.

Now, according to Sportico, the Haslam Sports Group is in advanced talks to jump into the NBA:

The Haslams have been looking to expand their portfolio to include other leagues, particularly the NBA. They were one of the groups interested in buying the NBA’s Minnesota Timberwolves a few years ago. The Bucks, like the Timberwolves, are geographically close to the Haslams’ other sports properties in Ohio.

According to the report, the group is attempting to purchase the 25% shares from the Bucks current primary governor (NBA terminology for the person in charge) Marc Lasry. Lasry shares controlling ownership with Wes Edens, trading the governorship every five years.

Both Bill and Jimmy have been high-profile members of the Tennesee community for years. Bill was the state’s governor While Jimmy’s Pilot/Flying J company is headquartered in the state. Pilot/Flying J was investigated for significant fraud allegations but Jimmy was never charged.

Milwakuee’s NBA franchise won the championship in 2021 and is led by one of the best, if not the best, players in the NBA in Giannis Antetokounmpo.

We will keep you up to date on the report and how it could impact Cleveland’s NFL franchise if the Haslams add another sports franchise to their collection.

According to the report, the group is attempting to purchase the 25% shares from the Bucks current primary governor (NBA terminology for the person in charge) Marc Lasry. Lasry shares controlling ownership with Wes Edens, trading the governorship every five years.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2023/2/10/23594912/haslams-milwaukee-bucks-browns-crew-ownership

Browns owner Haslam in talks to buy share of NBA’s Bucks

CLEVELAND — Cleveland Browns owners Dee and Jimmy Haslam are in talks to buy a minority stake in the NBA’s Milwaukee Bucks, a person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press.

The Haslams, who have explored buying other pro teams in the past, are seeking the 25% share currently held by Marc Lasry, according to the person who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation.

There is no timeline for an agreement or sale, the person said. Sportico was first to report the Haslam Sports Group’s interest in the Bucks.

Lasry and Wesley Edens, both New York investment firm executives, bought the Bucks from former U.S. Sen. Herb Kohl for about $550 million in 2014 with pledges to keep the team in Milwaukee.

The Haslams bought the Browns in 2012, also own the Columbus Crew of Major League Soccer and have been interested in expanding their pro sports portfolio outside Ohio.

The Haslams previously approached the Minnesota Timberwolves about buying them.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2023/02/11/browns-owner-haslam-in-talks-to-buy-share-of-nbas-bucks/

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Hopefully, they will take those all-important online classes from the University of Phoenix on how to be NBA owners so they aren't as unprepared as they were when they bought the Browns.

2 members like this: jfanent, ScottPlayersFacemask
Legend
Legend
rofl

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
O
Legend
Legend
O
One day I fully expect Jimmy to make himself GM with a staff chasing his every whim.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
So many Browns fans forget that Haslam treats the Browns like
A business. He turns a profit every year without
Having to work at it. Winning is not important to Haslam
But making money is. Yet Browns fans keep on investing
Their hard earned dollars into a franchise that is sub .500
Since 1999. The fans care more about winning than Haslam does.
The Bucks are just another business investment for Haslam
The Browns are just a toy to him

Legend
Legend
Good for them... if they get a minority stake I'm assuming they won't be much involved with the day to day....

Frankly, I don't care what they own... I care that they put together a competent front office... I appreciate that we've had some continuity the last few years... not sure we have the right team, but approach the consistency

<><

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yoooo…..Depo is banking. Dude about to be the GM for three teams.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
So many Browns fans forget that Haslam treats the Browns like
A business. He turns a profit every year without
Having to work at it........ Winning is not important to Haslam .....
The fans care more about winning than Haslam does.........
The Browns are just a toy to him

I disagree. I don't think a lack of caring, desire, effort or putting forth resources to win is an issue with Haslam. He's just not very good at it.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: Clemdawg
V
Legend
Legend
V
Agreed. You don't guarantee a player $230 million if you don't care about winning.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I agree with both you and Vers. I just think they have done poorly to this point at putting together the right management team and coaching staff. Competitive people care about winning. People can attribute that to ego, simply being competitive by mature, pride or whatever they wish.

They may have found the right combination with this current FO and coaching staff. Their results to this point make that quite unclear at the present time. But that has nothing to do with Haslam's desire to win and willingness to spend money to make that happen.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Legend
Legend
Good for Jimmy... he's got NFL, NBA, and MLS... just needs hockey and baseball...

<><

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree.

If you have the money, top level pro sports teams are a great place to park your money.

There isn't a person in here who wouldn't like to be the owner of a pro team.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
I agree.

If you have the money, top level pro sports teams are a great place to park your money.

Amen... if I had the means I'd love to own a pro team...

<><

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I agree.

You kidding me? If you win the coach gets all the credit and if you lose then the owner knows nothing. smile

As a side note... 20+ years ago there was an opening for Gm for the Orioles. My sweetie sent a resume and nice cover letter that said they kept losing she could be the scapegoat and if they win she would credit the forward thinking of ownership. She got a hand signed response from Angelos thanking her for her interest but saying "currently all the candidates we are considering have professional baseball management experience". It was a good natured response from a, rumor has it, grumpy man. She framed it for her office wall and it followed her until retirement.

1 member likes this: FATE
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I agree.

i wouldn't like to own a soccer team. If I owned one I might have to watch them play.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by jaybird
Good for Jimmy... he's got NFL, NBA, and MLS... just needs hockey and baseball...

Just stay the frick away from my Red Wings, Jimmy!

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted by Dawg Duty
I agree.

i wouldn't like to own a soccer team. If I owned one I might have to watch them play.

LOL, "Oh good the game is almost over.", "No, the ref's have added more time? Ughhhhhh. Just kick the damn ball in the net already. Heck, Cody Parkey could hit that net."

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Wait, $3.5 BILLION for only a 25% stake in the Bucks???? 3.5xmore than he paid for the Browns??? so tell me again why he needs public funding for a possible new stadium?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by boofers20
Wait, $3.5 BILLION for only a 25% stake in the Bucks???? 3.5xmore than he paid for the Browns??? so tell me again why he needs public funding for a possible new stadium?

Because he is a businessman.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Haslams in ‘advanced talks’ to buy 25% stake of an NBA franchise

Link Copied to Clipboard