Next Thread
Print Thread
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Lynyrd Skynyrd founding member Gary Rossington dead at 71

Gary Rossington, Lynyrd Skynyrd’s last surviving original member who also helped to found the group, died Sunday at the age of 71. No cause of death was given.

“It is with our deepest sympathy and sadness that we have to advise, that we lost our brother, friend, family member, songwriter and guitarist, Gary Rossington, today,” the band wrote on Facebook. “Gary is now with his Skynyrd brothers and family in heaven and playing it pretty, like he always does. Please keep Dale, Mary, Annie and the entire Rossington family in your prayers and respect the family’s privacy at this difficult time.”

Rossington cheated death more than once, Rolling Stone reported. He survived a car accident in 1976 in which he drove his Ford Torino into a tree, inspiring the band’s cautionary song “That Smell.” A year later, he emerged from the 1977 plane crash that killed singer Ronnie Van Zant, guitarist Steve Gaines, and backing vocalist Cassie Gaines, with two broken arms, a broken leg, and a punctured stomach and liver.

“It was a devastating thing,” he told Rolling Stone in 2006. “You can’t just talk about it real casual and not have feelings about it.”

In later years, Rossington underwent quintuple bypass surgery in 2003, suffered a heart attack in 2015, and had numerous subsequent heart surgeries, most recently leaving Lynyrd Skynyrd in July 2021 to recover from another procedure. At recent shows, Rossington would perform portions of the concert and sometimes sat out full gigs.

Rossington was born Dec. 4, 1951, in Jacksonville, Florida, and raised by his mother after his father died. Upon meeting drummer Bob Burns and bassist Larry Junstrom, Rossington and his new friends formed a band, which they tried to juggle amid their love of baseball.

According to Rolling Stone, it was during a fateful Little League game, Ronnie Van Zant hit a line drive into the shoulder blades of opposing player Bob Burns and met his future bandmates. Rossington, Burns, Van Zant, and guitarist Allen Collins gathered that afternoon at Burns’ Jacksonville home to jam the Rolling Stone’s “Time Is on My Side.”

Adopting Lynyrd Skynyrd as the group’s name — both a reference to a similarly named sports coach at Rossington’s high school and to a character in the 1963 novelty hit “Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh” — the band released their debut album (Pronounced ‘Lĕh-‘nérd ’Skin-’nérd) in 1973. A collection of country-tinged blues-rock and Southern soul, the album included now-classics like “Tuesday’s Gone,” “Simple Man” and “Gimme Three Steps,” but it was the closing track, the nearly 10-minute “Free Bird,” that became the group’s calling card, due in no small part to Rossington’s evocative slide playing on his Gibson SG.

Rossington told Rolling Stone that he never considered Skynyrd to be a tragic band, despite all the band’s drama and death. “I don’t think of it as tragedy — I think of it as life,” he said upon the group’s Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction in 2006. “I think the good outweighs the bad.”

https://apnews.com/article/lynyrd-s...on-died-4c8974380d034e916a39fbf50c606387

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Lots of good songs in their catalog. Sweet Home Alabama gets old after awhile but still a great tune. RIP to another good one.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I was always more of an Allman Brothers guy.

But I watched a documentary "If I Leave Here Tomorrow" a few years back about his band, and it was good.

I like music documentaries.

No one is getting any younger, right?

RIP

V
Legend
Legend
V
I liked the band a lot, but I know there are a lot of varying opinions about them.

I really liked Simple Man, That Smell, Freebird [although it was played too much] Gimme Back My Bullets, The Needle and the Spoon, Call Me the Breeze, Tuesday's Gone, and The Ballad of Curtis Loew.

Times have changed--but back in the day, dudes guzzlin' whiskey in a car and listening to Skynyrd on an 8-track--was a real thing for many of us.

1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
P
Legend
Legend
P
I hate to hear this. I was fortunate enough to have seen them live in their original form before the plane crash. I just never believed that Johnny ever filled Ronnie's shoes. It was just never the same after his death. Another part of my youth is gone. RIP Gary. After the plane crash Gary Rossington formed his own band with some success. Not as well known but still some pretty good stuff.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
RIP. Those southern rock bands experience a lot of death. All of the founding members of Skynyrd, the Outlaws and Molly Hatchet are deceased. I think Dickie Betts is the only one of the Allman Brothers left.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Hard livin' dudes.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
RIP

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Great band. RIP Gary.

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Originally Posted by jfanent
RIP. Those southern rock bands experience a lot of death. All of the founding members of Skynyrd, the Outlaws and Molly Hatchet are deceased. I think Dickie Betts is the only one of the Allman Brothers left.

Well, nobody lives forever. I'd call 71 years of his life, a full life.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
RIP Gary These youngin's will still be hearing a lot of Skynyrd if they get within 100 yards of me while I'm riding.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
2 members like this: jfanent, 3rd_and_20
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Originally Posted by jfanent

Well, nobody lives forever. I'd call 71 years of his life, a full life.

But entire bands are wiped out. I haven't looked at it in depth, but it doesn't seem to happen to that extent in other genres of that era. My favorite non-southern rock bands all seem to have surviving members.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Lynyrd Skynyrd founding member Gary Rossington dead at 71

Link Copied to Clipboard