Next Thread
Print Thread
#2006172 03/06/23 08:51 PM
A
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
A
A while back, I posted about my bro and sister in law "adopting" 2 kids, for a year. They had let the mother, and the 2 kids, live with them. Bro even got the mother a job, whereby she would save up about a grand, then disappear for a week. She'd come back, broke, again.

That 1 year "guardianship" turned in to full adoption. Those kids are now my bro and sister inlaws - God bless them. They youngest is doing FANTASTIC. (they were both amazed 2 years ago when 'it's time for bed', and they layed on the floor but were told "No, you guys have your own beds." The youngest is excelling at school, and sports - youth sports. The older is giving some attitude, as in "I don't have to go to school. Welfare will take care of me."

Now these 2 are getting opportunities living with my bro and sis in law they never would've had. You know, things like "you have to go to school", or "yes, we have food to eat". I could not tell you the opportunities these kids have that they didn't before, because the mom was neck deep in "I don't have to do anything."

Moving monthly cause no money to pay rent or electric. But, money for drugs. And constantly asking my bro for money......Shoot, 1 of the dads lives in Texas. He was "coming up to see his kid" - made it to Chicago - then called my brother for money, cause he didn't have enough.....

Well, the kids, especially the youngest, are doing fine. Joe is a gem, a go getter, in school or in sports - and at home as well.

The mother has had 3 kids more. The last one, she finally realized - allowed the baby to be adopted. My bro and sis in law finally convinced the mom to put the other 2 up for adoption. Bro currently has legal rights, meaning the kids are not the moms until adoptive parents can be found............well, they found a couple that has met the requirements, and they are taking the 2 youngest ones tomorrow. Caveat is if it doesn't work out, my bro and sister in law will take them in.

My bro is 60, sis in law is 61.

I could go on and on, but I won't. Other than, people scam the system. My brother and sis in law have NEVER gotten a penny from the state, or the feds.

2 members like this: mac, jfanent
Legend
Legend
It is a good thing that people like your brother and sister-in-law could help those kids.

There are many kids that just become lost. They survive on the streets and are cast to the wind more or less.

My daughter is divorced but the relationship is on going and not hateful or spiteful. They raise their two boys right. The ex husband has a nephew who is 25. His parents are a mess. The young man has witnessed way to much. He works as a janitor. He is introverted and lacks confidence. His life at 25 looks destined for hardship.

My daughter has taken him under her wing. My daughter has a MBA and will get her Phd. in two years. She is a compassionate person. Took this young man to visit a college. Taken him backstage to a big concert to share a meal with the crew and band. She is trying to show him that his life is not over at 25.
That there are avenues open if you are willing and can discipline yourself. By seeing how a family can supply a support system and encouragement. He sees things that he has never had. He is gaining a perspective that there is a path worth working toward.

It is so important that people can reach past their own lives and help others. Mentoring or providing a place and opportunities can change lives.

Your family should take pride in what they are doing.

A
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
A
Thanks. Again, I have nothing to do with it. Other than being a fun uncle, I guess.

The rest of the family is proud of, and happy for them and the kids. Taking kids from pure desperation into a home that has heat, beds, food, and offers opportunities - and yes, vacations. School. I could not explain how much time my bro and sis in law spend - plus, they run/own a business with about 40 employees. And they are 100% hands on in that business. Sis in law getting up at 3 a.m. to go to work to run orders, so she can be home at 7 a.m. to get the kids ready for school.

Hours doing homework each night with both of them....the son (grand son, as the kids are called - grandson and grand daughter) does wonderful. The elder, the grand daughter, doesn't want to do school work. As she says "welfare will take care of me".

Hopefully this second adoption works, because if not......bro and sis in law have 2 more kids.

Proud of, and happy for them - and the kids. Just - worried about them.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Bro and sister in law.

Link Copied to Clipboard