Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Judge in San Diego denies ex-NFL tight end Kellen Winslow Jr.’s plea to have his prison sentence lessened by Urjoshyee UshbaMarch 8, 2023

Kellen Winslow II, a former NFL player and a tight end with the Cleveland Browns, has been denied his request to have his prison sentence reduced on the basis that physical trauma from his football career contributed to the crimes that put him behind bars for 14 years.

In 2021, Winslow agreed to plead guilty in a negotiated plea deal after being convicted of sex crimes against five women in San Diego County.

Winslow’s argument was that new California criminal justice reforms allowed him to be resentenced, but Superior Court Judge Brad Weinreb ruled against him. Weinreb stated that Winslow’s arguments were not timely and failed on their merits. Weinreb noted that Winslow had agreed to his exact term as bargained for and that the court could not modify the plea as stipulated.

The Case Against Winslow
Winslow’s crimes included raping a homeless woman, pulling his pants down to expose himself to another woman, committing a lewd act against a 77-year-old woman at a local gym, and raping a woman while she was unconscious in 2003. He is currently serving time at a state prison in Tehachapi, California.

Winslow made arguments to the court without an attorney representing him. He cited Assembly Bill 124, which retroactively allows prisoners to be resentenced under certain conditions, such as if they suffered physical trauma or other abuse that might have contributed to their crimes before their arrests. Winslow argued that his brain trauma from football contributed to his crimes, as well as other abuse from his youth.

However, Weinreb said Winslow should have made this argument earlier and that the claim was procedurally barred.

Racial Justice Act
Winslow also cited the California Racial Justice Act, which says the “state shall not seek or obtain a criminal conviction or seek, obtain, or impose a sentence on the basis of race, ethnicity, or national origin.” Winslow, who is Black, said there was racial bias in the selection of his jury at trial. There were no Black people on the jury in his first or second trial, which was canceled when Winslow accepted his plea deal before it started.

Winslow is likely to appeal Weinreb’s ruling and continue his bid to get out of prison earlier. While he awaits the outcome of his appeal, Winslow remains behind bars.

Kellen Winslow II’s attempt to reduce his prison sentence based on physical trauma from his football career was denied by Superior Court Judge Brad Weinreb. Weinreb ruled that Winslow’s arguments weren’t timely and failed on their merits. Winslow is likely to appeal Weinreb’s ruling and continue his bid to get out of prison earlier. While he awaits the outcome of his appeal, Winslow remains behind bars.

https://share.newsbreak.com/39dr0env

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The "Soldier" is not a nice person, and it has nothing to do with his race.

Brain trama, maybe, but society is better with him removed from it.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
So much talent... wasted... wish we would have taken Big Ben...

<><

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: WooferDawg
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
True, I can't believe he commits TWO rapes and gets off with only 14 years.....AND now he's complaining. By my count he's 4 years into a 14 year sentence. Lost his freedom, his wife, and his dignity. He's got 10 years to think about it. Too bad it isn't more. Victims count.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
Legend
Sadly, with the crimes he's committed, he's a danger to society. Head trauma or not, it's highly doubtful that what he has is cureable. Let's not forget, most rapists/sex offenders have a defined victim pool. Good behavior while incarcerated with no access to that victim pool doesn't indicate much of anything.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: AZBrown
V
Legend
Legend
V
It's hard for me to read about what he's done. It's just so creepy that it makes my skin crawl.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by jaybird
So much talent... wasted...

That's how I feel when watching Josh Gordon playing for the XFL's Seattle Sea Dragons.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Originally Posted by jaybird
So much talent... wasted...

That's how I feel when watching Josh Gordon playing for the XFL's Seattle Sea Dragons.

same... guy was fun to watch when he was on top of his game.. .

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I can say too, that I wanted Ben, but Butch was enamored by KW2.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by hitt
True, I can't believe he commits TWO rapes and gets off with only 14 years.....AND now he's complaining. By my count he's 4 years into a 14 year sentence. Lost his freedom, his wife, and his dignity. He's got 10 years to think about it. Too bad it isn't more. Victims count.

You have to keep in mind though... he only pled guilty because he knew another trial would mean another racist jury... and he didn't want to risk life in prison.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Legend
Legend
P
It shouldn't be a surprise. According to California law it's at the higher end of the spectrum actually.

Prison Time for Rape Charges Under Penal Code 261

Under California Penal Code Section 261, rape is a felony offense. If you are convicted of this crime, you face 3, 6, or 8 years in prison. Additionally, if the alleged victim sustained great bodily injury (i.e. extensive bruising, vaginal soreness, broken bones, or any other measurable physical complication) during the commission of the rape, the judge may enhance your punishment by imposing an additional 5 years on your sentence.

In addition to your lengthy state prison time for rape convictions, you also may be required to pay a fine of up to $10,000, according to California Penal Code Section 672.

https://www.wklaw.com/rape-sentencing-and-punishment-pc-261/

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted by jfanen
It's highly doubtful that what he has is cureable.

Agreed. Though:

(IMO), that kind of wickedness is NEVER cureable.

I'm sure there are some who disagree with me (just hopefully not in the legal system who have the power to be lenient with him).

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum San Diego judge denies ex-NFL tight end Kellen Winslow Jr's plea

Link Copied to Clipboard