Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I am not 100% how I feel about this. I would hate to see someone stranded, watching as their car drives off without them .... or maybe even with the person inside. On the other hand, lenders should be able to get their property back in order to protect their investment. It also remains to be seen if this ever truly comes to fruition.

Ford Files US Patent for Auto-Repossession Tech | Tech Times
https://www.techtimes.com/articles/288352/20230228/ford-files-patent-auto-repossession-tech.htm

Automakers are looking for ways to protect themselves from defaults as Canada's auto loan delinquency rate rises. Ford Motor Company has recently taken steps to ensure that their vehicles remain in possession of buyers who abide by their contracts by applying for a patent in the United States for an automated repossession system.

Ford Files a Patent 'Systems and Methods to Repossess a Vehicle' on Feb. 23
According to the story by Global News California, the idea of a car being able to repossess itself is no longer science fiction. Automaker Ford recently applied for a patent in the United States, allowing vehicles to do just that.

Dubbed "Systems and Methods to Repossess a Vehicle," the patent was published on Feb. 23 and details the methods and reasoning for automated repossession. In the patent, Ford explains that such a system would help avoid confrontation between the bank and the vehicle owner.

Owner to Get Numerous Alerts Before the Vehicle Being Automatically Repossessed
Upon defaulting on payments, the vehicle would be disabled, and the owner would receive numerous alerts and notices before the vehicle would be automatically repossessed.

The system would be installed in any vehicle with an internet connection and could be used to self-drive the vehicle directly to a repossession agency or impound lot. This would be determined based on the car's mileage, condition, and other costs associated with repossession.

Impound Lot Location is Automatically Determined by Vehicle Condition and Mileage
Surprisingly, Ford is the only automaker to have filed for an automatic repossession patent. However, the patent does not necessarily mean the automaker will introduce any technology element to its product lines.

Ford could have filed the patent to claim ownership of the idea before a competitor. Unfortunately, repossession is becoming increasingly common. Auto loan delinquency rates are reportedly rising in Canada, with nearly 2% of auto loans becoming delinquent in 2021, as seen on Better Dwelling.

Ford's Automated Repossession Patent: A Potential Solution to Conflicts Between Vehicle Owners and Creditors
Ford's automated repossession patent could help to prevent some of the conflicts that can arise between vehicle owners and creditors. Though Ford has filed the patent, that does not necessarily mean the automaker will introduce any technology element to its product lines.

Often, patents are filed by a company to claim ownership of an idea before a competitor. Global News contacted Ford Canada to inquire if a similar patent was in the works north of the American border but received no comment.

Read Also: Mexico-based Tesla Factory Expected, Thanks to Successful Call Between Musk, Mexican President

How Ford's Automatic Repossession Patent Could Affect the Repossession Process
Ford is the only automaker to have filed for an automatic repossession patent. In an era of increasing auto loan delinquency, it is understandable why Ford has sought to protect itself from bad debts by applying for this patent.

However, it is yet to be seen how this system will affect the repossession process and whether or not it will be implemented in the future.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ford would have to own the loan, although I suggest that it could sell the service for repossession to banks and other creditors.

If you think about it, no different than on-Star disabling your car if it is stolen.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Disabling a car is one thing. Having that car drive itself to a repo lot is quite different. We all know where self driving is at this point in time.

Who opens the garage door if it's inside? Who pays if the self driving car causes an accident?

But, patents don't mean action either.

F
Legend
Legend
F
Ford has filed for a lot of patents lately on tech they HOPE will become viable in the future. I don't see this as anything they are actively pursuing to implement on models in the next couple years.

I don't think there are states that currently allow driverless vehicles on public roads yet. We have self driving, but the driver must be present.

I recall an article that, Arkansas or Alabama, made regulations for driverless commercial vehicles, but don't recall the details.

At most, I could see a way to disable the defaulting owners access, and allow a repo company access so they could retrieve the vehicle without causing damage. Think how much easier it would be for the repo company to be able to walk up get in and drive away, in seconds, to their truck a few blocks away, less confrontation, less possible vehicle damage.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FloridaFan
At most, I could see a way to disable the defaulting owners access, and allow a repo company access so they could retrieve the vehicle without causing damage. Think how much easier it would be for the repo company to be able to walk up get in and drive away, in seconds, to their truck a few blocks away, less confrontation, less possible vehicle damage.

That makes more sense to me than a vehicle driving itself back to the lot...

<><

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by jaybird
Originally Posted by FloridaFan

That makes more sense to me than a vehicle driving itself back to the lot...

And for every repo man with legal authority to use it, 10 thieves will spawn without legal access and use it for illegal gain.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Ford wants to auto-repossess cars .....

Link Copied to Clipboard