Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Throw you are entitled to your opinion, but I believe that if we had better coaching on D and ST this past season our record would have been reversed and we would have made the playoffs. JMO

P
Legend
Legend
P
I won't disagree with you but there is something to consider. How do the players that were on the roster in 2022 fit with what the new ST's coach and new DC schemes and plans? There will certainly be a shuffling of the deck in terms of roster turnover for the 2023 season as is true with all NFL teams. I think it's safe to say with that said the players that will be different will certainly be chosen to fit into the schemes and plans that both the new DC and ST's coach have in mind to fill the need to improve their respective units performance.

While I certainly don't claim to know the answer, I do know that when you try to fit a square peg into a round hole that doesn't work. That's why a lot of us hate turnover in coaches and why I think teams sometimes give NFL coordinators time to try to right the ship. They acquire talent to fit what those coordinators run and when you have a turnover at the HC, OC and DC positions those requirements often times change the type of players you need in a retooling of the roster to fit what the new guy/people run. I will say that in the case if Schwartz he does run the same 4-3 style but yet still somewhat different.

Woods used the single gap technique where each lineman has a gap responsibility to stop the run. Schwartz by contrast uses the double gap technique up front against the run. It has the DL attack the OL player to distinguish whether he is run blocking or pass blocking according to his reaction to the contact and for the DL player to react accordingly. There are other differences that will come into play but you have to consider your roster with your schemes. As I said, I can't say how that would have worked out last season with the roster at the current time. But here's an explanation that gives you some details about what I was referring to that's not overcomplicated in detail. The article eludes to bringing in player who know that style of scheme.

Browns: Will Jim Schwartz adopt an easy defensive line scheme?

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2023/01/22/browns-jim-schwartz-defensive-line-scheme/

When it comes to both the DC ans ST's coaches for the Browns, there was certainly a change needed. I don't think there was really a choice at that point in time. That's the thing about consistency. It only works if it breeds success. You have to give it time to work. But when it's clear it isn't working, a change is the only alternative left. How long you give it and where that line is drawn is subjective and varies from person to person. I think the changes that were made were at the right time and in the right areas. Here's to hoping they work out as well on the field as they look on parer.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Good post Pit and informative. Thanks

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Another one bites the dust.....

Jaguars, DL Roy Robertson-Harris Agree to Three-Year Extension, per Report

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/02/26/j...IMGgoWUyB5dB9-gbciLrvDaodTlWNthOuUgh_VZE

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
This is a very good article. Best to use the link for videos, charts, etc. Here is the text.

OBR Free Agent Probability Rating: DT, David Onyemata

ByJAKE BURNS Feb 28, 3:53 PM

Welcome to the latest OBR series as we approach NFL free agency where we will be spending time providing you with the best options for the Cleveland Browns by rating those about to hit the market. We will be rating them in three categories. First, analytics grade where we look at the raw data in their NFL career to see how productive they have been and whether the numbers match the perception. Second, we will judge the film of the player where we look at some of their reps to establish if the fit is there within the Browns scheme and just how good they are on the field. Lastly, and very importantly, we will score them on their prospects against the cap situation the Browns have coming up. All of this is a way to give you a sense of the fit between the Browns and free agency's biggest names at positions of need. Each prospect will receive a score out of 10 -- obviously, zero means it is impossible to see with the Browns and 10 is basically a lock free agent they pursue.

Ebuka "David" Onyemata was born on November 13, 1992. In Lagos, Nigeria, Onyemata went to the Chrisland Schools. He did not play football until college, having played soccer until then. In 2018, he participated in the New Orleans Saints Hall of Fame golf event in New Orleans and Biloxi, Mississippi. In the 2019 offseason, he attended a football camp at the Ochsner Sports Performance Center for kids from St. Michael's Special School. In addition, in 2019, he participated in "#DoRight4LA Day with the New Orleans Saints and Dudley DeBosier," helping with teams to do exterior home upgrades.

In his debut year of organized football, he appeared in seven games and had 11 tackles, four for loss, and a one-half sack. As a sophomore, he had 53 tackles, six for loss, 1.5 sacks, and one pass defended while starting all 11 games at nose tackle.

As a junior, he started all eight conference games and had 3.5 tackles for loss and 1.5 sacks as part of 28 total tackles. He played in 11 games, starting ten games as a nose tackle, and had 52 tackles and 2.5 sacks. In nine games, all of which he started at nose tackle, he had 50 stops, five sacks, one pass defended, a forced fumble, and a fumble recovery. He finished his career with 166 tackles, 9.5 sacks, two passes defended, one forced fumble, and one fumble recovery in 37 career games at the University of Manitoba, becoming the program's first draftee. As a senior, he was selected a Canada West all-star for the second consecutive season, an all-Canadian for the first time. In addition, he was awarded the J.P. Metras Trophy as the finest CIS football down lineman. With five sacks in eight league games, he was second in the conference and ninth in the nation, and he was second in Canada West in tackles for a loss (7.5) and 12th in total tackles (38.5).

He was picked to participate in the East-West Shrine game. With a unique combination of size and speed and the ability to play multiple defensive line positions, this Lagos, Nigeria native earned a spot on New Orleans' defensive line rotation during his rookie season. Onyemata was the first player drafted from the Bisons' program when he was selected in the fourth round by the Saints and graded out as an elite athlete at his position.

Onyemata received a three-year extension from the Saints in the 2020 offseason following a promising rookie contract performance. He continued to thrive as a member of the Saints' formidable defensive front, which ranked first in the NFL in red zone defense, starting 11 games and recording 34 tackles (12 solo), 2.0 sacks, and his first career fumble recovery. He has emerged as a dominant force for the Saints with his only blemish being a six-game suspension at the start of 2021 for performance-enhancing drugs. He will play in 2023 at 30 years old.

ANALYTICS RATING (2/2)
Onyemata ranked in the top 10 of all interior defenders in PFF grade for both the 2020 and 2021 seasons but fell off a bit in 2022 to a 52nd overall finish. The veteran has generated 30+ quarterback pressures in six out of the last seven seasons, which is where he provides the most value. Looking back to his most recent campaign in 2022, he had a 12.7 pass-rush win rate and 5.5 pass-rush productivity, both of which finished in the top-25 of the 74 qualifiers at the position.

FILM STUDY RATING (3/4)
Onyemata is a fun study if you want the Browns to fix their run defense. He plays physical at the point of attack with a keen understanding of how to stack his man and then shed him with a variety of power and speed moves once he notices where the ball carrier is dictating their path. He had 26 stop tackles last year and despite the dip in grading still stood out on film for his ability to anchor his gap and use his hustle to make plays outside his normal reach.

Onyemata is an effective pass rusher, but not elite and it is safe to wonder if he is on a downward trend in this category. He can get home to the quarterback but on too many snaps he leans into his man attempting power moves without a plan if his initial bull rush is absorbed. His pressure numbers have been consistently in the 30s each year outside of a 49 number in 2021.

SALARY CAP RATING (4/4)
Contract Projection: $7.5m a year

For me, the most expensive they go for is $6-8m on their most expensive defensive tackle, and pair him with a slightly cheaper one in the $3-4m range. It would be a two-year deal which is important so they can have an out in the deal. Andrew Berry pays for pass rush so he is likely to be high on his list if he is willing to spend.

FINAL RATING

Onyemata receives a 9/10 grade from the OBR with a VERY high probability of pursuit. The combination of his age being just 30, his contract being more than feasible for the Browns budget, and their need for more run defense prowess without losing too much as a pass rusher is the ideal fit.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland...wns-david-onyemata-free-agent-205474197/

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A'Shawn Robinson is the vet DL I'd like to see them target. Though some of that may be influenced by past draft prep. I think as far as improving run defense and bang for the buck he'd be a good fit.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I'll probably change my mind more than once, but I kinda like a combination of Zach Allen as a mid-level cost guy and Sheldon Rankins on the cheap. If we draft a guy like Benton from Wisconsin, than Rankins won't be needed. If we go DE, I'm looking at a cheaper signing like Justin Houston and drafting a guy like Felix Anudike-Uzomah, while developing Wright and Thomas to be part of the rotation.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I thought this guy was an option for us, but that's too much money if this report is true.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yikes! That's above the franchise tag price (edit: 18.94M) for DTs'

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 03/07/23 01:15 PM.

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
Legend
V
Too much money for us to consider, but his price is probably influenced because he can play both DT and DE.

O
Legend
Legend
O
It would be a bargain if he could play both simultaneously. Lol.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I have given some thought to both of these guys when it comes to joining the Browns.

Theilen is not what he used to be, but he is still a reliable WR who catches the ball. He would probably be inexpensive.

Campbell is very fast. Explosive. He could be a dynamic WR. The problem is that he has had one injury after another and that has derailed his career.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Julian Love could be a potential John Johnson replacement. Former CB who is starting to settle in at S. Led the Giants in tackles last season and graded well in coverage per PFF.

Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
Julian Love could be a potential John Johnson replacement. Former CB who is starting to settle in at S. Led the Giants in tackles last season and graded well in coverage per PFF.

If you are interested, I posted this information on Love when talking about FA safeties in another thread.

7. S JULIAN LOVE, NEW YORK GIANTS
Contract projection: Available in PFF's free agency rankings

Love offers a diverse skill set as a defensive back who can serve as a ballhawk in the deep third and make plays down in the box. He was also a player the New York Giants trusted in the slot. He played by far the most snaps in his career in 2022 (1,006) and earned a career-high 71.5 coverage grade in the process.

Love is a good tackler in space, with his 80 tackles in 2022 the seventh most among safeties and his six missed tackles the second-fewest among safeties in the top 25 in total tackles.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2023-free-agent-rankings-safety

Here is his projected salary:

PROJECTED CONTRACT
3 yrs — $8.33m avg/yr
$15.5m guaranteed, $25m total

https://www.pff.com/nfl/free-agency?season=2023

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
It's posts like this that allow me to talk about the salary cap because in reality, IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE. You cannot add FA players, trade for players, or draft players without it having an effect on the Browns salary cap. That's why the cap gets mentioned in almost every thread whether by me or in this case you or some other forum poster. I get you don't like it but it's a reality that cannot be ignored.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Jesus!

V
Legend
Legend
V
Is Eagles DT Javon Hargrave the ideal free agent for the Browns?

Cory Kinnan
March 8, 2023 1:23 pm ET

As NFL free agency nears, the Cleveland Browns will look to be aggressive in signing both cheap depth pieces, and some big-named starters to jumpstart their roster back into playoff contention. And as we approach the frenzy, ESPN has named Javon Hargrave, defensive tackle for the Philadelphia Eagles, as the free agent the Browns must sign.

ESPN had this to say about the pairing of the Browns and Hargrave:

“If Jim Schwartz is your defensive coordinator, you need to be able to get to the quarterback with four guys. If you want to get to the quarterback with four guys, you need strong pass-rushers in the interior. Enter Hargrave, who had 11 sacks last season and a pass rush win rate (PRWR) of 17.2% when lined up in the interior (third in the NFL). There’s also familiarity, as Schwartz’s time as defensive coordinator in Philadelphia crossed over with Hargrave’s time with the team in 2020.”

Free agency is set to begin next week. It will be interesting to see how it pans out for the Browns.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/202...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by steve0255
It's posts like this that allow me to talk about the salary cap because in reality, IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE. You cannot add FA players, trade for players, or draft players without it having an effect on the Browns salary cap. That's why the cap gets mentioned in almost every thread whether by me or in this case you or some other forum poster. I get you don't like it but it's a reality that cannot be ignored.

That's where you're wrong. The ignore user option is for precisely this situation.

Fiercely Independent.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Ivy league guys don't ignore money- we have a plan- NO, we have PLANS for money- hope they work.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

Which coaches/execs did the 49ers get their 3rd rounders for? Nevermind. Think I figured out. Forgot/didn't realize that teams get the picks in 2 drafts (potentially 3 in a row if they lose a HC and a GM in the same season?)

Originally Posted by PFT
(i) The employer-club of a minority employee who has been hired by another club as its Head Coach or Primary Football Executive (General Manager) shall receive Draft choice compensation in the form of a compensatory Draft pick in the third round in each of the next two Drafts for an employee hired as either a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive, or for the next three Drafts if it has two employees hired for both positions. The reference to the hiring of employees into “both positions” could be by the same club or different clubs. The following will apply to the Draft choice compensation:
a. Any compensatory Draft picks awarded pursuant to this Policy will be at the end of the third round following all compensatory Draft picks awarded to clubs pursuant to Appendix V of the NFL-NFLPA Collective Bargaining Agreement.
b. If multiple clubs are awarded compensatory Draft picks pursuant to this Policy, then the order of those picks at the end of the third round will follow the original selection order for that Draft established prior to any trades or other adjustments.

(ii) The employer-club shall be eligible to receive this Draft choice compensation if:
a. The minority employee hired as a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive has been employed by the employer-club for a minimum of two full seasons; and
b. The minority employee is not the Head Coach or Primary Football Executive of the employer-club and is hired into the same position with the new club. There can be no break in employment between clubs.
link

Fiercely Independent.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
49ers receive seven compensatory draft picks
Posted by Josh Alper on March 9, 2023, 5:32 PM EST

The NFL announced on Thursday that 37 compensatory draft picks have been doled out for this year’s draft and the 49ers picked up seven selections in the process.

Four of the 49ers’ new picks come as a result of the NFL’s formula awarding picks to teams that have a net loss in free agents. The other three picks are a result of the league’s initiative that awards picks to the prior employer-club of a minority employee who has been hired by another club as its head coach or primary football executive. Jets head coach Robert Saleh, Commanders General Manager Martin Mayhew, Dolphins head coach Mike McDaniel, Texans head coach DeMeco Ryans, and Titans General Manager Ran Carthon have left the Niners in the last three years.

All three of those 49ers picks are third-rounders. The Browns and Chiefs also received third round selections via that route and the Rams joined the 49ers in picking up four overall picks because of their free agent losses.

All 37 picks are listed below:

Third Round
96. Arizona
97. Washington
98. Cleveland
99. San Francisco
100. Kansas City
101. San Francisco
102. San Francisco

Fourth Round
135. New England

Fifth Round
167. Rams
168. Arizona
169. Dallas
170. Green Bay
171. Rams
172. Giants
173. San Francisco
174. Las Vegas
175. Tampa Bay
176. Dallas
177. Rams

Sixth Round
210. New England
211. Minnesota
212. Dallas
213. Arizona
214. Las Vegas
215. Washington
216. San Francisco
217. Kansas City

Seventh Round
250. Kansas City
251. Rams
252. Tampa Bay
253. San Francisco
254. Giants
255. San Francisco
256. Green Bay
257. New Orleans
258. Chicago
259. Houston

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/09/49ers-receive-seven-compensatory-draft-picks/

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
L
Legend
OP Online
Legend
L
We’re the only AFC North team that received a comp pick. That’s good, right?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Off-season upgrades

Link Copied to Clipboard