Legend
Legend
M
85 Bears.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by bonefish
This is a question for anybody.

Would you rather have one team like the 85 Bears who won a Super Bowl and were mediocre for nine years.

Or, get to the playoffs for ten years and never win a Super Bowl?

As long as we don't have a repeat of the Hue Jackson years, I'd be okay with either one. Super Bowl would be nice, but things happen every year. As long as I don't want to drink myself into oblivion every weekend and/or wash my eyes out with bleach, it works for me.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
This is a question for anybody.

Would you rather have one team like the 85 Bears who won a Super Bowl and were mediocre for nine years.

Or, get to the playoffs for ten years and never win a Super Bowl?

I would without a doubt take the playoff team for 10 years. That's 10 opportunities to get to the Super Bowl (I'm sure you meant to add no Super Bowl during those 10 years - if not, getting there and losing is a step forward). Knowing that every year the Browns were a team challenging for the Super Bowl would be way better than having a 1 year up followed by 9 more years of the hell we've been living through. Afterall, in 25 years, we can't even say the Browns have ever been a consistent winner. I'd kill to have a record like PIT has by not having a losing season in 19 years or having them finish behind us for 33 straight years. I won't ever live long enough to see something like that, but I'd sure like to feel that way for a decade or so. But it doesn't look like that's goal of this team now.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
M
Legend
Legend
M
Mediocre is an improvement over most years since 1999.... I'll take the Super Bowl and a decade in the wilderness.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Hell, just winning the AFC North a couple times would be orgasmic considering we've never won it a single time!

Legend
Legend
"Or, get to the playoffs for ten years and never win a Super Bowl?"

Legend
Legend
I was in 11th grade in 1964 when the Browns won the championship.

We got close with Bernie.

Speaking for myself. If you don't win it all; the season ends in disappointment.

I would take one year of dominance like the 85 Bears and nine years of 9-8 or 8-9. Every time over.

Ten years of playoffs and not winning the Super Bowl.

T
Legend
Legend
T
I wish the Cleveland media would not get noticeably excited so much about some lame ravens player.
I wish they could understand I can't be the only one who just doesn't give a hoover cement structure about anything that raven passer does good bad or indifferent, anything, anything, anything.
" oh oh, but, what does it mean to the contract situations." Bleh... Stop talking about that lousy player, he can pound sand or join the circus. I don't care what he does or what it means to other teams either.
Baltimore is a nondisclosed.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I'd take that one year and a Super Bowl win. As it is we only make the playoff's once a decade and that's been going on for 30 years. I've been a Browns fan since 1967. I'm now in my mid-60's. I don't have a lot of time left. It's amazing to me that we haven't been able to get to one SB in the last 55 years and have been as bad as we've been. Hard to fathom. frown

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 03/08/23 07:40 PM.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Originally Posted by Jester
Since we came back into the NFL; Stefanski is by far my favorite HC.

That's a pretty low bar.
Would be interested in hearing who comes in 2nd

Pat Shurmur for me. His quotes were terrific, always just stated the obvious. Only HC to lose his introductory press conference.

Mangini won me over when, after a 6-3 win over Buffalo in one of the worst football games i've ever witnessed, said "Doesn't winning feel great?!"

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: Milk Man
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
All four would be nice although not likely.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I doubt some are even real targets.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Hargrave would be a great addition. He excelled against the run in W. PA and as a pass rusher in E. PA. In my mind, he is ideal if we go w/one "spash" signing. If we were to sign him, I think we would go after less expensive options during the rest of FA. Maybe guys like Love from the Giants, or Ward from SF. Maybe the Edge guy from SF whose name I forgot how to spell. Maybe gamble on a guy like Paris Campbell and hope he can stay healthy.

Legend
Legend
Hargrave would be what the doctor ordered.

The rest could be "guys." Average players to fill rolls. Hargrave would impact the entire DL. Winfrey would be free as a 3 tech.

Get another edge who would rotate with Wright. Keep a fresh rotation of DL with Myles and Hargrave as the anchors.

I am not concerned about WR. There are guys we can get.

Safety is another position we can get a player. A guy to fill a roll. Does not have to be BPA free agent.

IMO the roster is pretty solid overall. The areas of need can be addressed.

The investment is DW. He will need to elevate the offense. Hargrave would do a lot in slowing down the rush.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

So, looks like we will be moving up a spot in each of two 5th round picks and any picks that come afterwards.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog

So, looks like we will be moving up a spot in each of two 5th round picks and any picks that come afterwards.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...alary-cap-violation-with-deshaun-watson/

NFL strips Texans of fifth-round draft pick for salary cap violation with Deshaun Watson
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 9, 2023, 3:34 PM EST

The Texans have been fined and stripped of a fifth-round draft pick for a salary cap violation.

The NFL is taking the Texans’ 2023 fifth-round pick and fining the team $175,000 for violating the salary cap by providing Deshaun Watson with “undisclosed compensation in the form of a membership at an alternative athletic facility in 2020,” the league announced.

The violation stems from the Texans paying $26,000 for a local training facility where Watson was training while the Texans’ facility was closed because of COVID-19, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.

That was Watson’s final season in Houston. He played for the Texans in 2020 but sat out the entire 2021 season and then was traded to the Browns in 2022.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I'll just leave this right here and get the popcorn ready....

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I hope we sign him if for no other reason than to think of some of our poster's heads exploding. brownie

P
Legend
Legend
P
I guess that sort of ruins the theory so many had that NFL teams thought he was washed up.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I guess that sort of ruins the theory so many had that NFL teams thought he was washed up.

2/3 of NFL teams didn't show up so not sure how that "theory" is ruined.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: FATE
P
Legend
Legend
P
Then the one third who did show up must all be wrong. Then of course one must consider which teams are actually looking to sign a WR rather than draft one or even have a need at the WR position and add that in.. But let's ignore all of that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Then the one third who did show up must all be wrong. Then of course one must consider which teams are actually looking to sign a WR rather than draft one or even have a need at the WR position and add that in.. But let's ignore all of that.

It doesn't mean anything one way or another. It cost teams nothing to send out their regional scout in the area in some situations to do a due diligence show up visit to see how he looks physically after being injured every season since 2014. 11 teams decided to show up, one of which was the Cardinals in their own back yard. 21 opted to stay at home.

I'm not saying he won't sign with a team....he probably will. But to say teams showing up must mean something definitively is silly.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
You don't go to see a WR do a private workout if you have predetermined he is washed up. This isn't difficult. I'm not saying he will be signed either. The point to all of this is people posted on this board that he's done. If NFL teams agreed with that, they wouldn't have gone to that workout.

They may agree that he's washed up after seeing the workout. That I have no idea of. Point being several NFL teams had not reached that same conclusion at the time this workout took place.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You don't go to see a WR do a private workout if you have predetermined he is washed up. This isn't difficult. I'm not saying he will be signed either. The point to all of this is people posted on this board that he's done. If NFL teams agreed with that, they wouldn't have gone to that workout.

They may agree that he's washed up after seeing the workout. That I have no idea of. Point being several NFL teams had not reached that same conclusion at the time this workout took place.

You send someone because you do due diligence. You don't send someone because you decide there is no way he can help you, but if you think he can, even if you are fairly sure he won't, you send someone.

The mountain you see is nothing more than a mole hill.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You have actually described exactly what I was talking about.

Originally Posted by FrankZ
You don't send someone because you decide there is no way he can help you, but if you think he can, even if you are fairly sure he won't, you send someone.

Exactly. If you had already determined he was washed up do to previous injuries, you certainly wouldn't think there's a possibility he could help you.

The mountain you see is nothing more than a mole hill.

In this case it's the exact opposite. I mentioned a mole hill and someone tried to make a mountain out of it.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Odell makes me wonder where the truth is?

When we got him. I was jacked up. Thrilled. Thought he would tear it up.

We all know it did not work. Then his father and that whole drama. Then he gets shown the door.

Then the locker room talks. Odell is a great guy. Really popular. "We hate to see him go." Then LA.

"Great teammate." "He helped us win."
=======================================================================

What is the truth? Prima donna drama queen or what?

He may actually fit with DW. Where he was not a fit with BM.

In the free agent thread I said "Odell knows how to get open." Maybe not by running the play the way it drawn up. Part of what DW does well is extend plays and find guys who can get open.

I wonder how Odell left it with Berry and KS?

Just going to watch him tells me they are willing to look.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I'm guessing its a combination of things, one being he wasn't happy and wanted a change, and alot of it had to do with Baker, The second part my guess is FO saw the lack of chemistry with Baker and OBJ so they moved him to force Baker to go elsewhere and to remove any notion that it was odell holding back the offense rather than the guy throwing the ball.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
OBJ looks jacked.

Legend
Legend

Don't you think they are there to see if he IS or ISN'T washed up?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
OBJ being washed up was a false narrative by certain posters on this board. He went to LA and played very well. Had huge moments in the playoff games and was the favorite to win the Super Bowl MVP before he got hurt. Multiple teams were after him last year. Players around the league were trying to entice him to come to their team. He was in Dallas to attend a Mavs game w/some of the Cowboy players and crowd was chanting "OBJ, OBJ, OBJ."

He's drawing interest again this year. All three teams he played for were in attendance. He still has mad skills. The question is if he has healed from his second ACL. No one knows the answer to that right now other than perhaps the insiders in OBJ's camp. Teams were there to see how he ran and how the knee looked. If he looks good, teams will go after him and have him take a physical.

It's never been an issue of diminishing skills. It's about the knee.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I would not be surprised if he Landed with the Chiefs
Patrick Mahomes is so good going off script and making
Plays when it looks like their is no play to be made.
OBJ is really good at breaking off routes and getting open.
That's one reason why him and Baker couldn't mesh
In Cleveland. If the play broke down around Baker
He could not improvise at all. But OBJ was good at going
Off script yet many claimed he was a poor route runner
No Baker had to have every thing dialed up perfect in
Order to succeed

O
Legend
Legend
O
I hope we sign him if for no other reason than to think of some of our poster's heads exploding. brownie

That will be my head exploding. I certainly want nothing to do with the Odell-and-Daddy crap show v 2.0. All he does is practice one-hand diva grabs, then drops easy catches. He's so NOT CLUTCH. I don't know why anybody would even bother.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 03/11/23 09:11 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg

That will be my head exploding. I certainly want nothing to do with the Odell-and-Daddy crap show v 2.0.

On this we agree. And anyone that wants him here to upset people really doesn't care about winning.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Well, that's just Vers taking a dig at me. No big deal, he's like that.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
Legend
Legend
P
In the free agent thread I said "Odell knows how to get open." Maybe not by running the play the way it drawn up. Part of what DW does well is extend plays and find guys who can get open.

I can't say for sure but I do know that if a WR is covered, it's his job to get open. A lot was made about him running the wrong routes, but it seems that wasn't an issue for Stafford as his QB in LA. With that said, OBJ being accused of running the wrong routes when it may very well have been him improvising to get open after he was covered when running his route may have been more about excuses for Baker than anything OBJ was actually doing wrong. That opinion from me is drawn by the evidence of how productive he was playing with Stafford in LA.

I wonder how Odell left it with Berry and KS?

Once again I can't say for sure, but one would think if he had burnt all of is bridges here the Browns wouldn't have shown up for his workout.

Just going to watch him tells me they are willing to look.

I agree.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T

That will be my head exploding. I certainly want nothing to do with the Odell-and-Daddy crap show v 2.0. All he does is practice one-hand diva grabs, then drops easy catches. He's so NOT CLUTCH. I don't know why anybody would even bother.

This so reminds me of listening to the Cleveland Plain Dealer podcast in the last 4 months, w/ Mary K and D. Laubbe, one of them were lauding the fact that the Browns had gotten rid of head case personalities, because the @uote was
about guys not causing a problem,
"we've had guys who can't even get on a plane without causing a problem, or something like that.
Welllp
Hope they play well, go Browns.
Browns news? They aren't going to win a playoff game This coming year either. How can we know, well Stefanski, Berry, and Depo are still around, I think their cards are face up. poker type.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T

That will be my head exploding. .
Technical definition of head exploding, includes
sneezing, coughing, vomiting, ... I'm thinking..., some yells, hiccups/hiccoughs? It happens All the time.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News and Notes

Link Copied to Clipboard