Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2007578 03/14/23 07:37 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Injury is a part of the NFL game.

Kellen Mond is on the team. I can not say I know much about him.

Off the top I can't say I have confidence either. I just saw that the Colts are releasing Matt Ryan. I don't know his plans?

Maybe he hangs it up. Myself I like the idea of a veteran backup. Earl Morrall is going back in time. Probably not many even know him.

He was a career veteran backup. He played behind Griese in Miami. He also backed up John Unitas when the Colts played in Baltimore. He won many a game coming off the bench.

If Matt Ryan would take a short cheap deal. I would feel better than I am with Mond.

bonefish #2007579 03/14/23 07:42 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
I'd like Josh Dobbs back.

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: 3rd_and_20, vadawgfan07
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I liked Josh. I would be good with him.

I wonder if upgrading the position is on the menu?

Mond is young with very little experience. I don't think he should be the backup. He is more of a guy to try and develop.

I want experience coming off the bench. Jacoby would be great but IMO he has earned a chance to start for a team.

We shall see what happens with him.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
I'd like Josh Dobbs back.

Bingo.

At least as a decent competition with whatever veteran (i.e. Rosen last season) we bring into camp.

Dobbs won't be back, so we've got Mond vs. big-name blast from the past or wash-up (i.e. Rosen last season).

Then again, maybe we find a way to give Brissett the biggest #2 QB contract in history.

I was never a big Keenum fan, but his ilk as a supportive, smart mentor was pretty cool to have. A future coach. That kind of guy as a back-up would be ideal. Someone familiar with the offensive system.

Brissett would have fit that bill.

Anyway, it's always a crapshoot with #2s. Until somebody's tibia is sticking out of their skin, no one really thinks about it.

bonefish #2007586 03/14/23 08:30 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm guessing we're rolling with Mond. Backup QB looks like where we're going to try to save some money on the cap. Probably bring in a non-vested veteran camp arm.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
bonefish #2007591 03/14/23 08:51 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Maybe nobody signs Jacoby and we bring him back. Best case scenario imo.

[Linked Image]

1 member likes this: bbrowns32
bonefish #2007593 03/14/23 09:04 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'm wondering if Brissett will get an offer to start or compete to start. He should stay here and take a deal if his only opportunities are backup roles. He played the best ball of his career here. I'd want to stay if nobody wanted me to start.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
OldColdDawg #2007631 03/15/23 07:34 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
I'm wondering if Brissett will get an offer to start or compete to start. He should stay here and take a deal if his only opportunities are backup roles. He played the best ball of his career here. I'd want to stay if nobody wanted me to start.

I don't think there's a person in Cleveland that doesn't love that guy. It would be great if he stuck around.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
bonefish #2007635 03/15/23 08:10 AM
F
Legend
Legend
F
They'd be foolish to not have a competent backup. There is no other position on the team that an injury can derail a season, and last season like 20 of the 32 teams saw backups take the field at QB, a few saw their 3rd string, and as we saw, SF was on their 4th in the SB for a short time.

10 mil for a guy that could make or break a good season is nothing.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
bonefish #2007643 03/15/23 08:54 AM
Legend
Legend
I’m really hoping Brissett doesn’t get an offer to start somewhere and sticks around. That’s ideal for me

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
bonefish #2007659 03/15/23 09:41 AM
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
My only concern with Brissett returning is all the talk about how the Offense is going to change to fit Watson. And while, YES, we love Brissett and all he did last year, not to mention the human being he is...The fact is, the offense is being changed to a style that does not really fit him. Like it or not, if he were to have to come in, it would be a real adjustment for the whole offense and not just Brissett coming in cold.

Take it how you want. We all would rank that concern differently in looking at the situation. Does his lockeroom presence overshadow that? Does he bring other intangibles to lessen the importance of this concern??? All valid thoughts. But the offense changing is definitely a concern for me when it concerns Brissett. We will be running far more 11 personnel than we have before. We won't be as TE heavy, and we may pass to open the run more than the other way around. The offense is being shaped and tailored to a more mobile QB rather than the classic Dropback, Pocket QB of Brissett. And it is not just a concern for me...but also is it the best move for him???

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
1 member likes this: WSU Willie
PETE314 #2007695 03/15/23 11:48 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think it's more about the offense expanding, and yes that does fall under what one would call changing. Brissett just doesn't have the arm for the long ball. But as far as the same plays being in the playbook as last year I think that remains. None of us know for sure I agree. But those plays worked and had our O rated as a top 10 O. I don't think Stefanski just takes those plays out of the playbook. I just feel a QB with more arm strength opens the playbook up more and expands the plays that can and will be called.

I don't see why going back to using a more simplified version of the playbook if Brissett were needed to play due to injury would be a problem.

With that said, I don't see Brissett returning. If I were an NFL team with a questionable QB, had a very young QB or were drafting a QB outside the top 2 in the draft that may need just a little time to develop, Brissett would seem like the perfect stop gap measure available at a reasonable price given his 2022 season performance. That would make him a far more valuable asset to a team in those circumstances than as a backup to watson.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PETE314 #2007743 03/15/23 02:24 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Hey Pete. Good to see you on the board again. I don't always agree w/you, but you are fair and rational.

I get your point about the different offenses, but Stefanski could easily revert back to what Jacoby does best. It's not like we are bringing in a new system w/a new coach. I do think JB should get a better offer than what we can pay him, so he is probably gone. I'd love to keep him, but I think he deserves the chance to make more money.

PETE314 #2007824 03/15/23 08:03 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PETE314
My only concern with Brissett returning is all the talk about how the Offense is going to change to fit Watson. And while, YES, we love Brissett and all he did last year, not to mention the human being he is...The fact is, the offense is being changed to a style that does not really fit him. Like it or not, if he were to have to come in, it would be a real adjustment for the whole offense and not just Brissett coming in cold.

Take it how you want. We all would rank that concern differently in looking at the situation. Does his lockeroom presence overshadow that? Does he bring other intangibles to lessen the importance of this concern??? All valid thoughts. But the offense changing is definitely a concern for me when it concerns Brissett. We will be running far more 11 personnel than we have before. We won't be as TE heavy, and we may pass to open the run more than the other way around. The offense is being shaped and tailored to a more mobile QB rather than the classic Dropback, Pocket QB of Brissett. And it is not just a concern for me...but also is it the best move for him???

I agree Pete. Jacoby and Watson are like oil and vinegar. They don't play similar styles and I have always felt the back-up should somewhat reflect the style of the starter to make any change as seamless as possible.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
bonefish #2007826 03/15/23 08:30 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
I just saw something about Brissett to the Commanders, so i guess the point is moot.

Somebody mentioned Dobbs. I like him as well. I also don't discount Mond.

Let's face it, if Watson returns, not matter who we have as back-up, it is a steep hill to climb. Name any good starter you want, you never really want the back-up playing. You probably drop your win chances by 40%, and that is if the back-up is decent.

Back-up's don't stay back-up's if they can win games for teams. Somebody trades for them or signs them in FA. It's pretty rare you transition from Montana to Young.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #2007833 03/15/23 09:21 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I like experience. Fitz. Guys like him that can step in for a few games and not fall apart.

Hoyer was a good backup.

Ryan would be good. Smart guy in the qb room. Helpful in meetings. Step into big trouble and not sweat it.

Mond lacks experience. He is a third stringer. Someday be a backup.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Backup QB

Link Copied to Clipboard