Print Thread
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Ohio 2nd Amendment bill moving through Statehouse
Natalie Fahmy
6 hours ago

COLUMBUS, Ohio (WCMH) — A controversial bill to expand gun rights had its third hearing at the Ohio Statehouse on Tuesday.

About 80 people submitted opponent testimony, compared to just over 20 who testified in favor of House Bill 51, known as the Second Amendment Preservation Act, last week; opponents said that alone should be a signal of what Ohioans want.

“I have no problem with people owning guns, but this is just an outrageous bill,” opponent to the bill Mary Miller said.

MLB releases statement after Bally Sports owner files for bankruptcy
“We’re taking input from Ohioans and trying to figure out what’s better for Ohioans,” chair of Government Oversight committee Representative Bob Peterson (R-Washington Court House) said.

Sponsors of the bill said the proposed legislation does not allow for a lawless society and it simply puts power back to the state, but opponents argue the bill would make it more difficult for law enforcement to do their jobs and some worry it would allow domestic abusers to carry a gun without a permit.

“We have very passionate testimony where people have dealt with significant losses,” Peterson said.

The bill would also prohibit a law enforcement officer from having the authority to enforce any federal acts, laws, executive orders, administrative orders, rules, regulations, statutes, or ordinances infringing on the right to keep and bear arms.

“We already have trouble getting people onto our police force and it’s just impeding that further,” Miller said.

Mentor Schools makes decision on transgender student rights proposal
The bill is nearly identical to a Missouri bill that was recently ruled unconstitutional by a federal judge. A provision in both bills would fine law enforcement agencies $50,000 for each officer who knowingly enforces federal gun laws that do not align with the state’s laws.

“It ties the hands of local and state law enforcement from working with their federal colleagues,” Miller said. “It will slow investigations down.”

“We’re trying to find something that moves Ohio forward and is helpful in preventing crime and making sure our law enforcement has the tools they need in preventing gun violence and problems across the state,” Peterson said.

Categories: News
Tags: gun laws, Ohio News, second amendment

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Yeah, I hope this dies on the floor. I don't want the law to NOT be able to seize weapons from lunatics.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
When do you think they'll address gun victims rights....

Will we ever get back to reasonable?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Expanding gun rights? Lol What a joke. What the hell is wrong with Ohio?

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Damanshot

When do you think they will address criminal behavior instead of just blaming a tool?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral

Love is love and if two guns want to get married...

1 member likes this: FATE
O
Legend
Legend
O
CONFISCATE ALL THEIR GUNS, JOE!

I like to post that kind of thing every now and then just to watch GOPers get the heeby-jeebies.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FrankZ

Ohio leadership has their priorities so screwed up. But whatever. Maybe Biden should threaten to take federal funds away from Ohio. You know like trump did to blue states.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
CONFISCATE ALL THEIR GUNS, JOE!

I like to post that kind of thing every now and then just to watch GOPers get the heeby-jeebies.

He keeps promising to do so but he can't seem to follow through on his promises just like people said about Trump.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Glad you put that in purple because He's kept most of his promises. And before his second term ends, I think we'll see those strict new NATIONAL gun laws. He's actually got more done, and been more progressive than any Dem since FDR. I hope our next ten presidents follow that example. And if Biden runs again, especially against a MAGA R, he wins in a landslide.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Damanshot

When do you think they will address criminal behavior instead of just blaming a tool?

The tools I worry most about are the ones that carry guns and shouldn't. Like the idiot that takes a semi auto rifle to a donut shop.. What's he afraid of, an attack of donut holes?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Glad you put that in purple because He's kept most of his promises. And before his second term ends, I think we'll see those strict new NATIONAL gun laws. He's actually got more done, and been more progressive than any Dem since FDR. I hope our next ten presidents follow that example. And if Biden runs again, especially against a MAGA R, he wins in a landslide.

I will give you 5 TO 1 odds on Biden vs Desantis... just let me know how much.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend

rofl

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Ugh, problem----what is reasonable? Maybe, Ohio can be like Florida----we got a guy killing a guy for parking in a handicap spot...yes, he was pushed to ground, but he was packing and he was scared....so, bang, guy dies and shooter walks....ain't America GREAT. Guns are the solution.....NOT.

Lastly, when talking GUN RIGHTS- please don't conveniently forget about mental health issues- more suicides than murders- 53 to 47..3 others - PEW Research. Yep. Guns the answer.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by hitt
Ugh, problem----what is reasonable? Maybe, Ohio can be like Florida----we got a guy killing a guy for parking in a handicap spot...yes, he was pushed to ground, but he was packing and he was scared....so, bang, guy dies and shooter walks....ain't America GREAT. Guns are the solution.....NOT.

Lastly, when talking GUN RIGHTS- please don't conveniently forget about mental health issues- more suicides than murders- 53 to 47..3 others - PEW Research. Yep. Guns the answer.

IIRC the shooter got 20 years for manslaughter. I would say he "walked". Or are you thinking of a different incident that occurred over a handicap parking space in FL?

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Ohio 2nd Amendment bill moving through Statehouse

Link Copied to Clipboard