Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M

It says DE but I think he is an interior player.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Yeah at 6’3 311 pounds I see him inside. He also has very limited stats.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, says he is an IDL-man.

PFF #s:

Overall: 62.8
Pass: 67.0
Run: 56.9

Maybe use him as part of the rotation on passing downs?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Trysten Hill NFL Draft 2019: Scouting Report for Dallas Cowboys' Pick

MATT MILLER
APRIL 26, 2019

UCF defensive lineman Trysten Hill (9) during the Fiesta Bowl NCAA college football game against LSU, Tuesday, Jan. 1, 2019, in Glendale, AZ. (AP Photo/Rick Scuteri)
Rick Scuteri/Associated Press
STRENGTHS

—Twitchy, athletic pass-rusher who struggled to get on the field in 2018 after a coaching change but made the most of his opportunities, including 10.5 tackles for loss and three sacks.

—Can beat blockers with first-step quickness, and naturally low center of gravity keeps his pad level down through gaps.

—High-energy player who works his tail off in pursuit and can often be found chasing the ball away from the middle of the field; shows an ability to produce pull-down sacks or tackles for loss by chasing down the line.

—Frenetic motor that always revs; looks for counter moves and ways to beat the initial block.

—Built for gaps and has the right body type (6'3", 308 lbs) to splash as a 3-technique in a 4-3 scheme.

WEAKNESSES

—Fell out of favor with new coaching staff and was relegated to backup status in 2018 despite being the team's best player.

—New staff hasn't vouched for him to scouts, complaining about maturity and laziness.

—Gets ahead of himself and will be countered in the backfield due to initial upfield push. Must learn to recognize blocking schemes and throttle down at times.

—Has a bit of Tasmanian devil to his game and must learn to play under control, more like what was seen in his freshman and sophomore tape.

—Scouts and coaches must vet his background and talk to Scott Frost's coaching staff to find out if his issues with the new staff (Josh Heupel) are new or longstanding problems.

Trysten Hill NFL Draft 2019: Scouting Report for Dallas Cowboys' Pick

OVERALL

Hill was UCF's best player when he was on the field, but that was far too infrequent in 2018 and leads to questions about his character and work ethic. Based on his tape, Hill should have been an all-conference performer instead of an afterthought. NFL teams could benefit from his struggles this season, though, as his slipping stock could give teams a starting defensive tackle in Round 3.

GRADE: 6.25 (ROUND 3 - ROOKIE IMPACT)

PRO COMPARISON: Star Lotulelei

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-scouting-report-for-dallas-cowboys-pick

1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
The one draft report I read says he is a 3 Tech who is a good pass rusher. A typical Berry move of bringing in a former high draft pick to see if they can get anything out of him. Maybe like Vers said he can be a rotational piece on passing downs

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Source: Dallas Cowboys Cut Trysten Hill Moves to Cardinals

Coach Mike McCarthy insisted that all the "big guys'' at defensive tackle are needed, but the Cowboys nevertheless made a trade-deadline-day move.

MIKE FISHERNOV 2, 2022 4:26 PM EDT

FRISCO - The Dallas Cowboys were not buyers. They were not sellers.

As the Tuesday NFL trade deadline has come and gone, the Cowboys were only ... cutters.

Trysten Hill is the odd-man out, released on Tuesday following attempts to trade him. No deals were forged in any other direction ... so that move is the move.

UPDATE: The Cardinals on Wednesday claimed Hill off waivers from the Cowboys, an NFL source tells CowboysSI.com.

What else was being kicked around in regards to the D-line?

The Cowboys, early in the week, had not received trade calls on defensive end Tarell Basham. As the week went on, with Basham practicing but as of the start of the weekend not being activated, that's changed.

Other NFL teams saw a surplus of Cowboys pass-rushers. The calls, NFL sources told us, were placed. But no exit deal.

Which brings us to Trysten Hill, who been effective enough as a rotational backup. Neville Gallimore registers as a slight disappointment. But now Johnathan Hankins has been acquired via trade ... and a decision had to be made.

Coach Mike McCarthy insisted that all the "big guys'' at defensive tackle are needed, and one team source speaking to CowboysSI.com strongly indicates Dallas did not ever want to trade Gallimore.

So in short, Hankins is in. Gallimore is in. And Trysten Hill is out.

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...ysten-hill-trade-moves-cardinals-waivers

Legend
Legend
Rotation depth with upside.

P
Legend
Legend
P
What I guess puzzles me the most is why draft reports mean anything after a player has been in the league for five seasons.

I mean it's great to use them as some type of reference going into the draft but all they are really used for at that point in time is a prediction of how their skill set will transition at the pro level. What was seen from them in college. Sometimes that translates itself into the NFL yet often times does not. More times than not when looking back at draft reports they end up being no accurate gauge of how players fair in the NFL. After five years in the league they're pretty irrelevant.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Who said anything about translating? Some people like to see one's background when they don't know much--or anything--about a player. Some people also like to talk about football. And a few others are here to derail threads, complain, and start trouble. No one is making you read the report. Others might find it interesting. Others might not.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Meh, I'd have more hope for these low risk gambles if we had a DL coach with some kind of NFL track record at the position. We'll see, though. Competition shouldn't hurt. Maybe we get lucky and some light switches flip.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think we can add Winfrey to the mix if he keep his head out of his butt. He has some talent. Some explosion. He needs more discipline on--and apparently off the field--in order to be a plus performer. He does have some talent.

I am happy that the FO has added 4 d-linemen and a safety. Much better than last year's FA period.

1 member likes this: lampdogg
P
Legend
Legend
P
Let me explain this to you. I'll try to do it slowly. I'm here from mid morning to early afternoon. There are about 20 hours of posts that I read with which to respond to in the that time frame.

And yes, when you tell the lie that everyone who questions what was paid to watson and bring up his character as "Baker lovers" I'm going to call you on that. When people who post about the Cheesecake Factory in questioning a former QB about his treatment of women while ignoring watson I'm going to call them on that. And BTW- In case you missed it those comments by you and others in that regard aren't "talking football" as you call it. It's an attack on anyone who disagrees with you or questions you.

You see, most people understand that when you poke a bear you're going to get bit. Some people realize it was foolish to poke the bear and you got what you asked for. Still others blame the bear. You try to pretend you didn't poke the bear and blame the bear for your injuries.

And it's fine for people to read and post those reports. Nobody said otherwise. It's just that after five years of a player being in the NFL they're pretty meaningless. Yeah, I know. I posted it, it's true but that bothers you.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
WTF are you talking about?

Legend
Legend
Why don't you go ahead and post some current NFL reports, Pit? Instead of complaining about what information has been posted...

From the scouting report:

GOOD:
—High-energy player who works his tail off in pursuit and can often be found chasing the ball away from the middle of the field; shows an ability to produce pull-down sacks or tackles for loss by chasing down the line.

—Frenetic motor that always revs; looks for counter moves and ways to beat the initial block.

BAD:
—Gets ahead of himself and will be countered in the backfield due to initial upfield push. Must learn to recognize blocking schemes and throttle down at times.

—Has a bit of Tasmanian devil to his game and must learn to play under control, more like what was seen in his freshman and sophomore tape.

So this...

Originally Posted by bonefish

With the upside being... Good athlete who's wasting his career meets great defensive coach and DL line guru. He'll let him know what's up in a hurry. Sounds like he needs some discipline playing the position, he probably came to the right place.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

There's a pretty long Twitter thread with clips from when the Cowboys drafted him. ^^

Here's some clips from more recently: v v

Motor seems to be a theme with the guys we've brought in.

Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg

There's a pretty long Twitter thread with clips from when the Cowboys drafted him. ^^

Here's some clips from more recently: v v

Motor seems to be a theme with the guys we've brought in.

That's good stuff. Thanks Bull.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Our DTs' were so bad last season that even this guy would have started over them.

[Linked Image]

M
Legend
Legend
M
I'll consider this a wonderful signing if he can knock Togiai and/or Elliott off the roster so I never have to see them in a Browns uniform again.

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hill is listed as a DE because Arizona plays a 34 front.

[Linked Image]

1 member likes this: eotab
V
Legend
Legend
V
That makes sense. Thanks.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by FATE
Why don't you go ahead and post some current NFL reports, Pit? Instead of complaining about what information has been posted...

GOOD:

BAD:

So this...

With the upside being... Good athlete who's wasting his career meets great defensive coach and DL line guru. He'll let him know what's up in a hurry. Sounds like he needs some discipline playing the position, he probably came to the right place.
Originally Posted by FATE

GOOD:

BAD:

So this...

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
L
Legend
Legend
L

Last edited by lampdogg; 03/16/23 06:46 PM.

gmstrong

-----------------

Legend
Legend
Double true. thumbsup

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Who is our DL guru? Ben Bloom is our DL coach but his only NFL experience on the defensive line is 2 years working with the Cowboys' DEs in 2014-15. He's a former small school OL as a player.

Schwartz has had good DLs as a coordinator, but he came up as a LB and secondary coach. Don't think he's ever actually directly coached the defensive line as far as I can tell.

Jim Washburn was his DL coach in Tennessee before he got the Lions' HC job. Maybe he could come in and mentor Bloom some, but he's 73 and been out of coaching for awhile.

Bob Karmelowicz was his DL coach with the Lions, but he's deceased now.

The guy who's coaching the 49ers DL now (Kris Kocurek) was actually his assistant DL coach in Detroit. Too bad we couldn't poach him.

Pepper Johnson was his DL coach with the Bills. Think he's coaching in the USFL now. Pepper does have ties to the Browns.

Chris Wilson was his DL coach with the Eagles. He's also coaching in the USFL.

Maybe Bloom will work out, but his stint as our defensive run game coordinator last season doesn't inspire a ton of confidence.

Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
"Guru" is a poor choice of words on my part.

What I'm getting at is that Schwartz has coached some great DL players at the NFL level. His defenses have been marked by solid DL play. I don't think there will be any mincing of words or crossed signals in what he expects.

The description of Hill's play style reminds me of Takitaki. It took three years to reign him in. I don't expect it to take Schwartz long to diagnose Hill's issues and set him on the path he expects. That's all. If the upside is there, we'll see it quickly. If not, he's simply needed depth.

1 member likes this: lampdogg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Jim Schwartz Eagles Interview
Jim Schwartz
Q. We’ve seen DT Javon Hargrave continue to improve with each passing week, this last game was probably his best as a pass rusher. What specifically has he done over these last several weeks to really kind of get used to playing in your scheme? (Jeff McLane)

JIM SCHWARTZ: Just I think what you see is just steady progress from him. You can’t always judge a guy, and we’ve said this a long time, you can’t always judge a guy just on sack numbers. There’s a lot of other things that go into it, freeing up other people, sometimes you have a great rush, and somebody else will make a sack and sometimes you make a great rush and the ball comes out so fast that you really can’t affect it but you have to keep making steady progress.

And I think Javon has done a good job of making steady progress. He’s getting more and more comfortable in the scheme. We knew it was going to be a little bit of an adjustment period. It took a minute or so for him to get with all the intricacies and techniques that we play. But he does make an impact on the game and I think we’re seeing the reason we liked him so much and the reason we added him to our team.
link

I had forgotten that Hargrave and Schwartz overlapped in Philly. Would have been a nice bonus, especially considering the part of the interview that I highlighted.

Guru wasn't necessarily a bad choice. I was more commenting on how coaching scheme and coordinating don't necessarily coincide with teaching technique to every/a specific position group. He's a DL scheme guru. I just wasn't sure how much of the technique teaching he was involved in. I'm still not entirely sure, but it may be more than I thought, or he could even be "teaching the teacher" now. Would have been nice to have a player that was familiar with the techniques he uses to help disseminate those to the other defensive linemen.

With Kocurek also having overlap with Schwartz, maybe the use of that same/similar techniques was a selling point for Hargrave in SF.

Fiercely Independent.
1 member likes this: FATE
O
Legend
Legend
O
It sounds like he has raw talent but could use some coaching up and might even have issues relating to the locker room or coaches. Repair project for backup rotation? I see the upside of bringing him in on the cheap if he's fixable, but not what he's done that attracted the team enough to sign him. I trust Berry, so there must be something I'm not seeing.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Great information everyone. I don’t have much time to research/post being that I’m out of the country. I appreciate all the info. thumbsup

Legend
Legend
Hill and Hurst are guys that AB is taking a flyer on. Both have some good tape. Both have missed a lot a playing. Both are trying to establish themselves in the league.

Best case is they get healthy and provide some competition for playing time. If they can be effective in rotation that would be great.

Their "grades" are misleading because they have not played much.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Once again, just because YOU can't learn anything from an older scouting report doesn't mean others can't. Thus, there is no reason to question why they are posted on this board other than to start yet another bickering contest. You succeeded. Yay for you!

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
How about a scouting report from 2022...

That might be more useful...

HSPD

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Once again, just because YOU can't learn anything from an older scouting report doesn't mean others can't. Thus, there is no reason to question why they are posted on this board other than to start yet another bickering contest. You succeeded. Yay for you!

I questioned the value of them after a player has been in the league for five years. I don't think they hold any value at that point in time. That wasn't to start a fight. Nothing about that constitues a fight. Unless of course someone turns that into fight and twists it in that fashion. Yay for you.

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
It’s okay to question it but even a five-year scouting report can provide some insight.

gmstrong

-----------------

V
Legend
Legend
V
Here is the thing. There isn't a current "scouting report." I knew absolutely nothing about the guy and I bet almost every person on here was in the same boat. I took the time to look it up along w/taking the time to look up his PFF grades and Pit and mac complain. Perhaps they could do some research and provide better information instead of being critical. The second thing is that scouting report looks pretty dead on. Guy flashes at times w/hustle, some explosion, strength, etc and is often reckless, out of control, while perhaps having some character issues. Looking at the report, I see a guy who is a sometimes starter, but mostly a guy who is part of the rotation and probably plays for multiple teams.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You still droning on about this? What does a scouting report have to do with how they have performed for five years in the NFL? How does what they did or how well their skill set was shown to be in college have anything to do with how it transitioned in the NFL? It doesn't. And I've never complained about PFF. But that doesn't stop you from making the claim does it? I actually find it one of the most valuable tools when looking at an NFL player.

What I don't do is accentuate PFF's stats when it suits my interest and then try to downplay their stats when it doesn't. According to scouting reports many of the players who should have been studs in the NFL turned out to be flops and a lot of the scouting reports that indicated some players would be flops turned out to be studs. And that's before they ever played a down in the NFL. Five years later those scoutimg reports are basically meaningless.

But please, do go on.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I will. Thanks for granting me permission.

P
Legend
Legend
P
This coming from the guy who tells people they are good posters or bad posters? Sure, you're welcome.

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
JC...

This is one signing that has me scratching my head...someone I thought would be lucky to get signed in the 3rd or 4th wave of FA...yet we signed him and Hurst within the first several days of FA. I know Berry loves youth and high draft pedigrees...that's my only grasp with this signing. Hill is just flat out poor, I'm not even sure if he makes the roster. But I guess some competition is better than no competition...curious to see what his guarantees are, contract wise. Hopefully they get the best of him.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c,

Four days later and we still have nothing official from the Browns.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Fiercely Independent.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Sign DT Trysten Hill

Link Copied to Clipboard