Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#200870 12/10/07 09:54 PM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I was on the official site today, and came across this little tidbit..............
Quote:

BACKWARD GLANCES: It was exactly 13 years ago on Monday -- on Dec. 0, 1994 -- that the Browns stunned the two-time defending Super Bowl champion Dallas Cowboys 19-14 in a nationally-televised Saturday afternoon game at Texas Stadium. The game ended with free safety Eric Turner stopping tight end Jay Novacek inches from the goal line after he had caught a pass from Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback Troy Aikman. In a rare display of emotion for them, Browns head coach Bill Belichick and defensive coordinator Nick Saban wildly hugged each other on the field immediately afterwards. Saban had just announced he was leaving at the end of the season to take the head coaching job at Michigan State. The win, maybe the most impressive of the season for the Browns, raised their record to 10-4 and really gave them a boost as they got ready to head to the playoffs. They would finish 11-5 and earn a wild-card berth, losing 29-9 at Pittsburgh in the wild-card round. For the Cowboys, the loss ended a three-game winning streak and put their record at 11-3. They would go 12-4 and eventually lose 38-28 to the San Francisco 49ers in the NFC Championship Game

This may seem a little like old news to some, but to me that year the Browns reminded me a lot of this year. But that is still not the reason for my post.

I remember this game very vividly due to fact that I watched it in the delivery room in Middletown Ohio. Fifteen minutes after that play, my son was born. He today is a die hard Browns fan that has been to a couple training camps and spends his time in school surrounded by Steeler fans that ridicule him constantly. His response is that he would rather cheer for noone, if he couldn't cheer for the Browns.

This may not belong in the pure football forum, but I put it there because he is a pure football fan, and he loves the Browns.

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Who could forget Eric Turner stopping Novacek at the goaline then pulling off his Browns helmet, raising it to the sky and running straight down the middle of the Cowboys field. - Man was that awesome. I was in eleventh grade, and I was watching that game with my two best friends at the time -Dennis C, and BP.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ohh man, that was an exciting game. I was in high School then and was watching at my buddies house with his dad was was a season ticket holder since the early 70's. When we won we all went nuts. At the time Dallas was king and not a lot of people gave us a chance. Plus Eric Turner (RIP) was my favorite player then!

Our honor defend, we will fight to the end, for OHIO! GO BUCKS!
A
Legend
Legend
A
I distinctly remember that game. My son was at my house (I got divorced in 1990 - didn't get remarried until 1996). Just me and my son. He was 5 at the time. I had a fair amount to drink during the game. He wanted to go sledding. I told him "sorry, son, the Browns are on. We'll go tomorrow."

After that play - after the game - I was so pumped I got him dressed, got myself dressed (carharts, boots, all of it - it was cold here). I took him on the sled ride of his life. All said and done it was about 3 miles. Me, pulling him in the sled - went uptown to the "festival of lights" thing in one of the parks...... We went back home because he was cold - me? I was sweating like a horse, but believe it or not, he still talks about the the time "dad went crazy and pulled me all over town."

We did go "real" sledding the next day. But that night is one etched in my memory for ever.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
That was the first game I can ever remember watching, because I wasn't interested in the NFL yet. That game was so much fun and the end was great, watching the Browns run off the field and the Cowboys looking stunned.

you had a good run Hank.
L
Legend
Legend
L
I remember it well.
Watched that game on Vancouver Island, British Columbia at a sports bar in Courtney. Had to hitch hike 20 some miles to the bar, no TV where I was living.

Last edited by lampdogg; 12/11/07 01:19 AM.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
G
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
G
Quote:

They would finish 11-5 and earn a wild-card berth, losing 29-9 at Pittsburgh in the wild-card round.

The way I recall it, they first beat New England in the wild card round and then lost to the Steelers the following week. I believe Belichick's first regular season win and first playoff win as a head coach both came against the Patriots.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
R.I.P. Eric Turner......Great player.....Loved to watch that man hit somebody..

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Special day 13 years ago

Link Copied to Clipboard