Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Legend
Legend
T
I do not like the idea of trading a pick this year for a pick next year, ... unless it's un heard of like turning a 4th into a first or something, because the purpose of picks is to pick players,

For instance, I recall RG3, went 3rd overall , approximately, and, in the 6th round his team took Kirk Cousins who is still in the league, and also Ryan Tannehill went that year, and he is still in the league,
so , ... ranks and future picks you need to pick players.

D'Ernest Johnson replacement, JJ3 replacement , Ronnie Harrison replacement,
Greedy Williams replacement,
a real kick cover/ returner in special teams...

there ARE 8 holes in the Browns roster, ... Taki>Taki won't be eligible to return from injury for eleven approximate games,
We aren't sure if Kareem Hunt is coming back,
they aren't trying to bring back Jadeveon Clowney,
The DL free agent from Jacksonville didn't extend his one year deal, Tavon Bryant?
your 3rd safety entered the league as a UDFA iirc,
so they DO HAVE ROOM for 8 players
The thing is to man up, and select players like a real GM should, so I hope they get some impact players, more than 2.

A team needs 4 running backs.
They could always use another edge rusher,
A true slot cornerback would be a Godsend too. thumbsup

A @b who gets sacked a lot, which Watson does, puts their OL,,, too often, in compromising posture situations, which lead to bad falling incidents and lower body injuries on your OL, so, you may as well
figure that into the analytics too,
they could use 8 new players... OR<
the new players could fail to make the roster,
that IS still a possible outcome, and legal by the rules too, make all the picks I hope.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Frenchy
I can only see us moving up. Do you really see us adding 8 rookies to this team? There is not room on the team. And with UDFA, after the draft, i can only see us drafting 4 or 5 players, JMHO.
I agree.

I will add my thought on moving back isn't so much to acquire picks for this year, but rather to add picks next year.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I can only see us moving up. Do you really see us adding 8 rookies to this team? There is not room on the team. And with UDFA, after the draft, i can only see us drafting 4 or 5 players, JMHO.

Agree completely. No wy do we trade down for more picks this year. I can see trading out for more picks next year and I can see us trading up to target a guy that we like.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Jester

Agree completely. No wy do we trade down for more picks this year. I can see trading out for more picks next year and I can see us trading up to target a guy that we like.

I agree, just like I said. We probably aren't interested in getting more 6th rounders this year. We are interested in getting a 5th or better next year.

How much better depends on who and or what we trade this year. Nick Chubb would require a trade of Chubb and 3rd this year for a 2nd and maybe another 2nd next year. Maybe even a 6th next year added..

I am not advocating that, but it would be something to consider.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 04/21/23 10:09 AM.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/CLE

I looked over Ourlads depth chart for a total.. I haphazardly counted 75-78 on current roster, this comes down to 53 at end of August. IMO, a number here will be just camp fodder, experiments and wait and see kind of guys.It's difficult for me to see trading back to get anyone under these circumstances. I think if we do anything, we stand pat or make packages to move up.

Last edited by SaintDawg; 04/21/23 11:56 AM.

SaintDawgâ„¢

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Originally Posted by SaintDawg
https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/CLE

I looked over Ourlads depth chart for a total.. I haphazardly counted 75-78 on current roster, this comes down to 53 at end of August. IMO, a number here will be just camp fodder, experiments and wait and see kind of guys.It's difficult for me to see trading back to get anyone under these circumstances. I think if we do anything, we stand pat or make packages to move up.

While you never know who the fodder might be, our roster is as "set" as it has been in the last 20 years. We have had many years where every drafted player has made the team. It was almost expected they would make the team.

Eight rookies aren't going to make this team. We might need to take action on the over/under at 3.5. One way or another, sending a few picks off one way or another makes sense.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Agreed. Drafting for cuts doesn't seem wise. I had a question though that seems like it may be in play. At this point going into the draft, is our PS set already? If we are doing best player available, doesn't it seem that those picks are developmental. Not sure I expect starting caliber players as late in the draft as we are slotted. Bundle some and boost up in the picks seems wiser than stockpiling cuts we will need to make. .02.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Drafting for cuts doesn't seem wise.

How much of a scouting effort does it take to accomplish "drafting for cuts"..?

JMO, but I expect the Browns draft team to put in as much effort scouting our "last draft pick" as they put in to make our "first draft pick".

There is no way to measure a player's heart or determination if you don't put in the time to get to know that player.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't doubt the effort is being put in. But let's face it, once you get to a certain point in the draft it's a crap shoot. If heart and determination were such huge factors a lot more NFL busts would be NFL stars. It's not so much that the FO is "drafting for cuts" as the likelihood and reality is that will be the end results far more times than not.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I don't see it as lack of effort on our part, or some failure on the part of draftees. Even if we know them very well, the outcomes are a given for many of them, such that trading back gives us more picks that we won't keep. Numbers. If they go to next year, better for us. My interest and my question were about practice squad slots; I expect late choices to be developmental. And though I am aware of the need to break down players we take in the draft, I am more concerned about the level of effort we make once they are in camp to evaluate them before cuts. JMO

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mac
Drafting for cuts doesn't seem wise.

How much of a scouting effort does it take to accomplish "drafting for cuts"..?

JMO, but I expect the Browns draft team to put in as much effort scouting our "last draft pick" as they put in to make our "first draft pick".

There is no way to measure a player's heart or determination if you don't put in the time to get to know that player.

I don't know Mac. I think you are taking the comment too literal. It isn't about effort or not scouting or teaching players.

This year we don't have all that many open roster spots. I don't see any way that if we draft 8 players, all 8 would make the team. In years past all most probably would make the team. I think that is where the comment about drafting to cut came.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If we decide to trade up for a player, who would you trade up for?

The number one player I would trade up for is Keeanu Benton the DT from Wisconsin.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Felix the CAT,
Trenton the Tiger, Trenton simpson Clemson tigers, would trade less up for.

FELIX THE CAT, KSU Wildcats, Felix Anudike Uzomah, is a pass rush nightmare, and in a simulator I traded,
seventy four, ... ninety eight,... and a 3rd next year...

to number 34 to take him, and felt pretty dang good about it. Because imagine this team with another pass rush nightmare,
no> a really good one, one I'd feel like I was getting a top ten overall type guy.

and because keeping number one hundred eleven overall is very important to me.

I reserve the right, to feel differently today, than I felt yesterday.

FELIX THE CAT is going to be a top player, reminds me of Andre Ware.
FELIX THE CATTTT

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
I do a few mocks here and there. I think they are mostly unrealistic enough without making trades. That said, if that is a guy you really like, I suppose it does give you an idea of what it would take to make a move up like that. I would think those sites have trades factored in by using draft value charts of some sort. I have never tried but would assume you couldn't make that trade by offering a 6th rounder.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I just read this and it sure sparked some thought.

https://www.brownsnation.com/browns-insider-ponders-a-massive-trade/

Wills for Chase Young.

mmmmmm

I read where Rivera said; "Rivera mentioned that not picking up the fifth year could perhaps motivate Young."

He won the ROY. Then got hurt and has not played much. Apparently, there is some bad blood there.

Wills is young. However, he has not yet performed to expectations. He has not been bad and maybe his best play is in front of him.

My thought is if Young is healthy and his knee checks out. He is the better talent. So, if he checks out medically.

Yes. I would make that trade.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Then who will play LT for us? With DW at QB I don't know if we should start fooling with the O-Line.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by bonefish
I just read this and it sure sparked some thought.

https://www.brownsnation.com/browns-insider-ponders-a-massive-trade/

Wills for Chase Young.

mmmmmm

I read where Rivera said; "Rivera mentioned that not picking up the fifth year could perhaps motivate Young."

He won the ROY. Then got hurt and has not played much. Apparently, there is some bad blood there.

Wills is young. However, he has not yet performed to expectations. He has not been bad and maybe his best play is in front of him.

My thought is if Young is healthy and his knee checks out. He is the better talent. So, if he checks out medically.

Yes. I would make that trade.

I had the same thought after hearing the news on Young.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Hudson would play LT.

And we would need to find some more depth. No different than if he got hurt.

Not ideal but we can find some bodies.

Chase Young is a better football player than Wills. He plays a premium position and he is young.

We can begin looking at the draft as well.

It is not easy finding great pass rushers. The same is true for LT but Wills is replaceable.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Trade up and try to get into the 2nd round.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Ten players worth trading up for,
to 60+ if they fall.

I. Felix Anudike Uzomah edge K s U
2. Tank Bigsby, Rb Auburn
3. Trenton simpson, Edge Clemson
4. BJ Ojulari Lsu?
five. O'Cyrus Torrence.

Darnell Wright OT
Hendon Hooker @uarterback
Jalin Hyatt Wr tenn.
Zach Harrison edge Ohio state,
Kayshon Boutte WR lsu,

Ten worth trading up for if any of them fall. Near 60ish overall.

WE WANT MORE.
edit. what?
Forgot Jordan Batlle safety, got to include him.

Last edited by THROW LONG; 04/27/23 09:02 PM.

T
Legend
Legend
T
At fifteen overall I'd hope the Browns would begin trying to trade up for the
best available pass rusher,
defensive lineman
Wide receiver,
running back
or Offensive lineman.
or elite safety. or ... even corner.
or elite Linebacker.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season NFL Draft 2023 Do we trade up, or trade back?

Link Copied to Clipboard