Thread Like Summary
Ballpeen, FATE, Milk Man
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Ballpeen
Ballpeen
I think with the recent additions, the Browns are bound to do one or the other. OK....maybe both.

The point is, I don't see all that many open positions for drafted players to make the roster. It doesn't make the best use of 8 picks if you probably can't roster 7-8 players. Realistically, we might have 4 slots.

Do we package both of the 3rd rounders to get back in to the 2nd round? Do we trade back to acquire some extra picks next year where we have 6 picks?

Any thoughts?
Liked Replies
by MemphisBrownie
MemphisBrownie
I don't think any of the moves in FA dictate a decision one way or another at this point. Someone they value very high can fall (JOK) and feel it appropriate to move up. Or, based on their system of grading, there could be many guys around the same place value-wise and they could feel comfortable moving down and still get the same type of caliber they want.

The only time (at least off the top of my head) when a team might go into the draft looking to trade down as an overall strategy is when it is systematically part of a rebuild and you want to amass as many picks as possible. The more swings you are able to make the more hits you'll have while possibly getting higher round, future picks in subsequent drafts. This is what we did when we started a rebuild in 2016.
2 members like this
by lampdogg
lampdogg
This is from a recent article by Scott Petrak, whose writing and analysis is in my opinion, darn good for a newspaper guy. Just a partial quote from his article, written after Berry signed the WRs and Tomlinson, the new safety plus Oggie.

“Free agency never really ends, but Berry can shift his focus to the draft. The buzz around it will be significantly less than normal without a pick until No. 74, but it remains a necessary tool to provide an influx of young talent.

Considering the offseason additions, urgency to win and composition of the roster, the Browns won’t need all eight picks. That creates freedom and options for Berry.

He could use Nos. 74 and 98 to get back into the second round if a player he loves falls into range. He could trade multiple midround picks to add a Day 2 selection in 2024. He could trade for a veteran.”
1 member likes this
by THROW LONG
THROW LONG
Felix the CAT,
Trenton the Tiger, Trenton simpson Clemson tigers, would trade less up for.

FELIX THE CAT, KSU Wildcats, Felix Anudike Uzomah, is a pass rush nightmare, and in a simulator I traded,
seventy four, ... ninety eight,... and a 3rd next year...

to number 34 to take him, and felt pretty dang good about it. Because imagine this team with another pass rush nightmare,
no> a really good one, one I'd feel like I was getting a top ten overall type guy.

and because keeping number one hundred eleven overall is very important to me.

I reserve the right, to feel differently today, than I felt yesterday.

FELIX THE CAT is going to be a top player, reminds me of Andre Ware.
FELIX THE CATTTT
1 member likes this
by Homewood Dog
Homewood Dog
Then who will play LT for us? With DW at QB I don't know if we should start fooling with the O-Line.
1 member likes this