Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
Shockwave effect.... they are tiny rounds.

So your assertion is a 5.56 is more lethal than other rounds because of speed? Like, for instance, a .50BMG is less lethal?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to get shot by any of them, but telling us that a 5.56 is more lethal than everything else because of velocity is absurd.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am pretty sure that it is impractical to fire off 2 rounds a second (or whatever the rate is) with a .50 caliper gun with any reasonable accuracy.

If you want to kill one, yeah any round is bad, but if you want to kill many, the AR/AK platform is the choice of mass shooters.

Last edited by WooferDawg; 03/27/23 08:10 PM. Reason: additional comment.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The least surprising fact associated with the shooting was that an AR style weapon was used.

It is just common to assume that an AR is being used. Non-AR weapons are the exception...

Why is that?

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I am pretty sure that it is impractical to fire off 2 rounds a second (or whatever the rate is) with a .50 caliper gun with any reasonable accuracy.

I would think it nearly impossible, however, rate of fire was not your assertion. Though, to be honest, you may not need to fire as quickly with one. There are plenty of rifle rounds that out perform 5.56 in energy and could very well be used quickly. The AR pattern is a solid performer but it isn't magic.

Is there a difference in a AR-15 chambered in 5.56 and a Mini-14 also chambered in it? Ruger makes a nice wood stock rifle that looks all small game hunty that would perform like the evil black AR-15.

In the end you are wanting to ban a tool because an evil person misused it. THis is, has been, and always will be a people issue, not a tool issue.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree, people should not have AR style guns.

An individual can't drive around in a tank either. Even though it is a form of transportation.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

An individual can't drive around in a tank either. Even though it is a form of transportation.

I mean it is fair you think that. I think it is merely politically motivated and would solve nothing.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by FrankZ

I mean it is fair you think that. I think it is merely politically motivated and would solve nothing.

I disagree..

My motivation may be considered political, but my position is based in the preamble of the Constitution.

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

How do "insuring domestic tranquility", and "promoting the general welfare", fall into a political motivation?

6 people are dead today because we lack the courage to do something for the greater good.

Legend
Legend
No, six people are dead because someone with an ax to grind went to extraordinary measures to commit this act. He/she supposedly bought these guns legally. Even if there was a ban on assault looking weapons I doubt these murders would have been prevented.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Pdawg
No, six people are dead because someone with an ax to grind went to extraordinary measures to commit this act. He/she supposedly bought these guns legally. Even if there was a ban on assault looking weapons I doubt these murders would have been prevented.

Agreed... I'm on the fence on the AR type weapons.... but this person could have still killed multiple people with a hand gun...

I'm open to better gun laws, but we also need to improve our mental health programs in this country.....

this was just awful..... I pray for my boys... serisouly thinking of pulling them out of school....

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I’m on the fence as well. I have family members that have these types of guns. They enjoy shooting them at the range. I’ve gone shooting only a couple of times and I do not own any guns. I would like to see stronger background checks. I don’t think some mentally ill people should be allowed to own but I don’t know how that could be carried out. I also doubt it would stand up in court.

Last edited by Pdawg; 03/27/23 09:21 PM.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by jaybird
Agreed... I'm on the fence on the AR type weapons.... but this person could have still killed multiple people with a hand gun...

The VA Tech shooting was done by someone who legally bought a handgun and used 10 round magazines.

This is, has always been, and always will be a mental health issue.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by jaybird

The VA Tech shooting was done by someone who legally bought a handgun and used 10 round magazines.

This is, has always been, and always will be a mental health issue.

I agree.... but also think there's some common sense gun control laws we can add... but 100% think it's primary a mental health issue...

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
listing will need updated, again

To paraphrase 4 out of 5 mass shooters prefer the AR-15…

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I’m on the fence as well. I have family members that have these types of guns. They enjoy shooting them at the range. I’ve gone shooting only a couple of times and I do not own any guns. I would like to see stronger background checks. I don’t think some mentally ill people should be allowed to own but I don’t know how that could be carried out. I also doubt it would stand up in court.

The fact that your family members they enjoy shooting AR weapons at a range is the most asinine excuse for allowing their existence. Tell the Rambo wannabes to get their priorities straight.

B
Legend
Legend
B

If you want to kill one, yeah any round is bad, but if you want to kill many, the AR/AK platform is the choice of mass shooters.

And then the nuts go to another platform, and then another.

No, the problem isn't the weapon or the ammo. It's the punks we raise who turn in to mass shooters. This special twerp obviously had mental issues.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree. It is old and needs to be fixed. Mental health is a big problem.

But that is a long term fix. In the mean time we need to stake step to keep these freaks from getting anywhere near a school without resistance of force.

My plan would be that every parent would be required to spend 3-4 days a year at the school. Obviously employers would be required to allow the absence and pay the individual. On any given day you would have 5-6 grounds monitors. Probably more depending on school size. Heck, I am retired. I would volunteer 4-5 days a year to act as a grounds monitor. Give me a radio to signal potential trouble and I would sit at a door or in my car out in the parking lot.

More eyes on the grounds and in the building would prevent much of this. They could alert on site security to be in a position to take action.

You don't need more armed people on site. You need more early detection.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
listing will need updated, again

To paraphrase 4 out of 5 mass shooters prefer the AR-15…

It's a misleading list. Most mass shootings use a handgun. I've post details in the past.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Such a disgusting take.

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
When you blindly hate your enemy you can dehumanize them and use that for political gain.

V
Legend
Legend
V

The fact that your family members they enjoy shooting AR weapons at a range is the most asinine excuse for allowing their existence. Tell the Rambo wannabes to get their priorities straight.

Once again, a member of the board's left unjustly insults and labels someone for a difference in opinion. There was absolutely nothing offensive in any of Pdawgs post.

Legend
Legend
j/c...

Nobody talking about the shooting of two school administrators in Denver?? Hmm...

Pretty sickening how #staywoke policies after the murder of George Floyd led to ignorant disregard for safety. Denver decided they should remove all police from Denver Public Schools.

Their reasoning? "The belief that the close proximity of law enforcement to students on campuses directly contributes to the school to prison pipeline. Studies show that black and brown students arrested for minor school infractions are more likely to end up in the adult criminal system."

And then, as you might guess, things began to get out of hand. They had staff patting down certain students everyday because of increasing incidences of guns being brought onto school property. The shooter was one of those students, with a previous weapon charge and violent behavior. As he was being patted down last Thursday, he pulled his gun and started shooting.

Staff are mad because many were not aware of the pat-downs. Parents are mad as hell. They are being told they couldn't be informed "because that could compromise the identity of the students being searched".

So now, Denver Public Schools has said that they made a mistake... and have temporarily ended the ban on police in their schools. Temporarily, because permanently would not be #woke.

==================================

A school shooting exposes reckless policies | Denver Gazette

Denver Gazette Editorial Board Mar 23, 2023 Updated Mar 23, 2023

Wednesday’s shooting of two administrators at Denver’s East High School was every bit as terrifying and stomach churning as were previous shooting tragedies on Colorado school campuses. It also was sadly familiar in other ways.

There was the same suffocating panic we feel when children, and the adults to whom they are entrusted, are in harm’s way — in a place that is supposed to be safe.

There was the same yearning for information as the drama unfolded; we now know the wounded school deans were rushed to the hospital, one in critical condition and the other serious but stable — and that as of press time, the suspect, an East High student, was still at large after having fled the scene.

And in the aftermath, there were familiar pronouncements by the usual public figures. Gov. Jared Polis issued a statement observing, “… students should and must be able to attend school without fear for their safety, their parents deserve the peace of mind that their children are safe in classrooms, and teachers should be able to work safely and without harm.”

Through it all, there was that sinking feeling that we’ve been there before. Of course, we have.

But there were two developments — one refreshing, the other alarming — that were starkly out of the ordinary in such circumstances.

The refreshing development was newsworthy in its own right. In a public statement issued after the shooting, Denver Mayor Michael Hancock called out the city’s school district — the state’s largest — for the “mistake” of kicking Denver police school resource officers off campus nearly three years ago.

Later that day, Denver Public Schools Superintendent Alex Marrero promised to post two cops at each of the district’s high schools for the rest of the school year — in seeming violation of his school board’s policy. Good for Marrero.

The reckless and absurd expulsion of police by Denver’s notoriously dysfunctional school board was a political stunt. It was intended as a swipe at police in 2020 after the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis.

Many other Colorado school districts use school resource officers to great effect. Districts including second-largest Jeffco Schools and Cherry Creek Schools, both next door to Denver, and Colorado Springs School District 11 in the Pikes Peak region, rely on police to shore up campus security as well as to build bonds with schoolchildren and surrounding neighborhoods.

Meanwhile, the alarming development that accompanied the East High School shooting was pending at the State Capitol just a couple of miles away.

Only two days earlier, lawmakers had introduced a bill to raise the age at which juveniles could be charged with criminal offenses in Colorado — even in juvenile court, where underage offenders are supposed to go. In other words, they couldn’t be charged with anything, period.

As Gazette columnist and former 18th Judicial District Attorney George Brauchler explains in today’s opinion section, anyone up to 13 years old couldn’t be charged with any crime except murder under House Bill 23-1249. Police would fill out a form — but couldn’t take the perpetrator into custody.

Meaning, a student could smuggle a gun into school and open fire — as alleged in Wednesday’s shooting — and so long as no one dies, the shooter would face no criminal charges.

As Brauchler notes, the bill, “would preclude the shooter from being arrested — even temporarily. No case will be filed.”

Think what that would do to security in Colorado’s schools — or to victims like those in Wednesday’s shooting.

Denver Gazette Editorial Board

https://www.coloradopolitics.com/op...944abfc-c9a0-11ed-ade7-837c206219c1.html

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Once again, a member of the board's left unjustly insults and labels someone for a difference in opinion..

Because you don't ever insult people do you? And no one on the "Right" insults people? And the word "Libtard" isn't a play on "retarded" and that isn't insulting and you would call that out if it was insulting? Got it.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FATE
j/c...

Nobody talking about the shooting of two school administrators in Denver?? Hmm...

Pretty sickening how #staywoke policies after the murder of George Floyd led to ignorant disregard for safety. Denver decided they should remove all police from Denver Public Schools.

I don't know the situation in Denver - and I am not going to make light of any tragedy, but Uvalde, Nashville and any/most/all other school shootings that we have read about did NOT ban police from schools and it did little/not enough/nothing to prevent the taking of lives in a mass shooting event.

I have no idea how "woke" the Denver area is or isn't - no idea what difference police would have made to prevent lives being lost - but I am not sure this story would prove much one way or the other. It's a sad state of affairs where police are NEEDED at schools. My kids have a police officer present every day and we know his name and say hi. I mean really that's such a sad situation - but given where we are I would rather he was there than not there.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
When you blindly hate your enemy you can dehumanize them and use that for political gain.

Or you could just be stating how every time there's a mass school shooting they always send thoughts and prayers. They also pray it never happens again. Pointing out how utterly futile that is may be something you find offensive, but it's accurate.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

Or you could just be stating how every time there's a mass school shooting they always send thoughts and prayers. They also pray it never happens again. Pointing out how utterly futile that is may be something you find offensive, but it's accurate.

Actually, stupid is asking God to leave schools and thinking when his presence is gone something evil won't fill that void? No legislation will keep evil out when God is not there!!!

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
If people posted about every mass shooting in America and debated it on here we would have ran through multiple threads a month. Here is a list of the mass shooting just in the first three months of 2023 in America.

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting?page=1

A lot of tools are being misused.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

I could care less if people pray, think well, offer sage to the spirits or do an Irish jig. Armed staff in schools who be more effective than GFSZ signs and pearl clutching. This shooter seems to have chosen a different target but changed course after seeing the security.

Stop leaving children in places that can't protect them.

M
Legend
Legend
M
As I said - how sad is it that kids need armed police to protect them in schools? How well did other armed police protect other schools during other mass shootings?

Your response is very much in line with the "THE ANSWER IS ALWAYS MORE GUNS".

Legend
Legend
Actually, stupid is asking God to leave schools and thinking when his presence is gone something evil won't fill that void? No legislation will keep evil out when God is not there!!!

Then please explain 9 dead at Emanuel AME church in Charleston or 11 dead at the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh.

I think your theory needs some work.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I could care less if people pray, think well, offer sage to the spirits or do an Irish jig. Armed staff in schools who be more effective than GFSZ signs and pearl clutching. This shooter seems to have chosen a different target but changed course after seeing the security.

Stop leaving children in places that can't protect them.

Yes, it's so much better to give them the feeling of going to prison with armed cops walking around. I guess you mean like Uvalde where they had such an officer but he was nowhere to be found?

Or the school shooting in Sante Fe Texas where two cops were stationed and ten were killed and thirteen were wounded?

Broader research provides not much support for Cruz’s claim that armed law enforcement officers on school grounds are the “most effective tool” for keeping kids safe from mass shootings.

A 2021 study conducted by researchers from University at Albany and RAND examined data from U.S. schools between 2014 to 2018 to evaluate the impact of school resource officers. It found that school resource officers “do effectively reduce some forms of violence in schools, but do not prevent school shootings or gun-related incidents.”

In addition, that study found that school resource officers appear to protect students from “a non-trivial number of physical attacks and fights within schools,” which could have long-term academic and psychological benefits for students. But schools with resource officers also report more suspensions, expulsions, police referrals and student arrests — and those harsher disciplinary punishments disproportionately fall on Black students, male students and students with disabilities.

Another 2021 JAMA Network study conducted by researchers at Hamline University and Metropolitan State University in Minnesota examined a total of 133 school shootings and attempted school shootings from 1980 to 2019.

It was limited by the availability of public data and the inability to measure deterred shootings, among other factors, but researchers found that, controlling for other factors such as location, school type and region, the data showed “armed guards were not associated with significant reduction in rates of injuries” during school mass shootings.

Further, when researchers controlled for location and school characteristic factors, “the rate of deaths was 2.83 times greater (emphasis added) in schools with an armed guard present.”

Pete Blair, the executive director of the Advanced Law Enforcement Rapid Response Training Center at Texas State University, said armed individuals can play a role in stopping school shootings in progress but cautioned against any claim that it’s “the most effective tool” or that it prevents school shootings.

In Illinois in 2018, for instance, officials credited an officer with avoiding a potential school shooting involving a student at the school. The shooter’s mother said she thought her son was trying to get the police to kill him. Only the shooter was injured.

Blair said the ALERRT Center is part of a group that works with the FBI to release annual active shooter data. The FBI defines an active shooter as “one or more individuals actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a populated area.”

That data shows that from 2000 until 2021, there have been 434 active shooter incidents, Blair said. This includes shooter incidents in schools and elsewhere.

“The most common resolution is for the attacker to flee,” Blair said, which happened in about 25% of all cases.

In about the same number of cases, the shooting stopped when a responding on-duty police officer, armed security or off-duty officer shot the attacker, he said.

Blair said the data isn’t specific enough to break down whether police officers who used force to stop an attack were already stationed there at the time — as a school resource officer likely would be — or were called in specifically to respond to the incident.

Dewey Cornell, a professor of education at the University of Virginia who studies school safety, bullying and student threat assessment, said he has seen research that suggests school resource officers “can be valuable in building relationships with students and working with threat assessment teams, but not as armed guards protecting the campus from a shooter.”

“I know of no scientific evidence that having armed law enforcement on campus by itself keeps kids safe at school,” he said. “We have prevented school shootings by identifying threats and working with troubled students before they make an attack.”
Are armed officers a deterrent?

PolitiFact found no studies or research that conclusively showed that the presence of armed officers deterred people from targeting schools.

“From a theoretical point of view, it makes sense. Trying to prove it empirically can be difficult,” Blair said. “I can’t point to any specific cases and say, here’s this specific case where this person said, they looking at this and they chose not to because there was an armed security guard there.’”

The 2021 JAMA Network study said data suggested “no association between having an armed officer and deterrence of violence” in mass shootings from 1980 to 2019.

“Prior research suggests that many school shooters are actively suicidal, intending to die in the act, so an armed officer may be an incentive rather than a deterrent,” the study said.

Steve Guest, a spokesperson for Cruz, pointed to a 2019 Vox article that referenced 2005 research that suggested increased police presence leads to fewer people committing crimes. The article and research wasn’t looking at school shootings specifically.

The spokesperson also referenced a 2018 report that found for 238 middle and high schools in West Virginia, the presence of resource officers “increases the number of reported incidents related to drug crime as well as the number of out-of-school suspensions for drug crime, but decreases violent crime and disorder when multiple years are considered.” Again, the report wasn’t looking at school shootings specifically. It did say that school resource officers are more likely to work with law enforcement to create a written plan for “how to deal with shootings.”
Our ruling

Cruz said, “We know from past experiences that the most effective tool for keeping kids safe is armed law enforcement on the campus.”

A 2021 JAMA Network study said data found “no association between having an armed officer and deterrence of violence” in mass shootings from 1980 to 2019. A 2021 study by the University at Albany and RAND said school resource officers “do not prevent school shootings or gun-related incidents.”

We rate this claim False.

https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2022/do-armed-school-police-officers-prevent-shootings/

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by mgh888
As I said - how sad is it that kids need armed police to protect them in schools? How well did other armed police protect other schools during other mass shootings?

Your response is very much in line with the "THE ANSWER IS ALWAYS MORE GUNS".

And you've not offered what you think will work, only what you think won't.

Which school shootings occurred with armed staff in place and ready to respond? Please do list them. If you need several posts to enumerate them do so. Be complete.

F
Legend
Legend
F
If people are willing to go into a school and kill small children they do not even know, with no other motive than to create chaos, there is no law or regulations that will fix that. The problem lies with those people, and identifying them before they get to this point.

How we do that, I have no idea.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by FloridaFan
If people are willing to go into a school and kill small children they do not even know, with no other motive than to create chaos, there is no law or regulations that will fix that. The problem lies with those people, and identifying them before they get to this point.

This is, has been, and always will be a people problem.

M
Legend
Legend
M
So I can only comment if I have a solution? I don't know what the solution is because as a country we are so divided. I do know school shootings are much less frequent in countries with less guns and much tougher gun controls. But I have a feeling to discuss that as part of any solution someone will object. Strongly.

As for which school shootings had an armed officer "ready to respond" - that's loading the deck a bit isn't it? To the best of my knowledge ALL other school shootings occurred with Police either on are available to patrol the schools ... because if they weren't then this Colorado shooting wouldn't be such a huge deal would it? As for how ready those officers were ... I have no clue. I do know that we have lot's of dead kids and teachers even if they were ready and prevented much higher death counts through their presence or actions.

M
Legend
Legend
M

That is PART of the problem. If it was the ONLY problem then most other countries in the industrialized world would see the same issues at the same or similar levels. They don't. What else could be a factor?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
So I can only comment if I have a solution?

That is, of course, what I said.

I don't go to my boss and constantly tell her this kid that won't work. I give her solutions. In my last review it was one of those points she ensured she made. It is easy to constantly just poo poo any idea, solutions are hard. That was my point. Some people think they are helping by saying nothing but "that won't work".

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

That is PART of the problem. If it was the ONLY problem then most other countries in the industrialized world would see the same issues at the same or similar levels. They don't. What else could be a factor?

They take mental health seriously?

We have more guns by far than any other country but we don't lead the world in murder. Poverty, mental health care and tons of factors go into this. It isn't merely access to guns. And I clearly don't believe that people should be punished because some people are evil.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I think there is certainly one issue that should be addressed and I'm not certain exactly how that would be framed.

We are being lambasted about the news of this shooting here in Nashville. One thing I've learned is the shooter in this case was being treated for mental health issues. The problem is that under current Tennessee law and federal law for that matter, that did not make it against the law for her to purchase such weapons. While I do understand and uphold gun rights there is a limit to which unfettered access to guns should have a limit.

Now that brings into question what mental health issues qualify to prevent you from buying a firearm. Depression? Anxiety? I could see how this could be taken too far if you used such guidelines as these.

But as much as I agree the mental care system should be improved, it would seem that unless gun laws are addressed that make improvements meaningful, I'm not sure how much it would improve things......

FEDERAL FIREARMS PROHIBITION UNDER 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(4)

PERSONS ADJUDICATED AS A MENTAL DEFECTIVE OR COMMITTED TO A M ENTAL INSTITUTION
Any person who has been “adjudicated as a mental defective” or “committed to a mental institution” is prohibited under
Federal law from shipping, transporting, receiving, or possessing any firearm or ammunition. Violation of this Federal
offense is punishable by a fine of $250,000 and/or imprisonment of up to ten years.

See 18 U.S.C. §§ 922(g)(4) and 924(a)(2). The terms enumerated below are located in 27 C.F.R. § 478.11.

A person is “adjudicated as a mental defective” if a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority has made
a determination that a person, as a result of marked subnormal intelligence, mental illness, incompetency, condition,
or disease:
™ Is a danger to himself or to others;
™ Lacks the mental capacity to contract or manage his own affairs;
™ Is found insane by a court in a criminal case; or
™ Is found incompetent to stand trial, or not guilty by reason of lack of mental responsibility, pursuant to articles
50a and 72b of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, 10 U.S.C. §§ 850a, 876b.
A person is “committed to a mental institution” if that person has been formally committed to a mental institution
by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority.
The term includes a commitment:
™ To a mental institution involuntarily;
™ For mental defectiveness or mental illness; or
™ For other reasons, such as for drug use.
The term does not include a person in a mental institution for observation or by voluntary admission.
The term “lawful authority” means an entity having legal authority to make adjudications or commitments.
The term “mental institution” includes mental health facilities, mental hospitals, sanitariums, psychiatric facilities,
and other facilities that provide diagnoses by licensed professionals of mental retardation or mental illness, including
a psychiatric ward in a general hospital.

AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSES

A person is not prohibited under 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(4) if:
The person received relief from Federal firearms disabilities under 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(4) by:
™ The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives under 18 U.S.C. § 925(c); or
™ A proper Federal or State authority under a relief from disabilities program that meets the requirements of the
NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007, Public Law 110-180.
The mental health adjudication or commitment was imposed by a Federal department or agency, and the:
™ Adjudication or commitment was set aside or expunged;
™ Person was fully released from mandatory treatment, supervision, or monitoring;
™ Person was found to no longer suffer from the disabling mental health condition;
™ Person has otherwise been found to be rehabilitated; or
™ Adjudication or commitment was based solely on a medical finding without opportunity for hearing
For further information about section 922(g)(4) or other firearms prohibitions, please contact your local
field office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) by calling (800) 800-3855.
ATF Information 3310.4

Revised May 2009
by the Federal department or agency with proper jurisdiction

https://www.atf.gov/file/58791/download

This would seem to indicate that only after your mental health has deteriorated to the point, and it has been diagnosed as such, of extreme mental illness can you be stopped from purchasing a firearm unless there are further state laws in place to create further limitations.

As I said, I understand how laws could be put in place that go too far but certainly the current federal guidelines don't go far enough. I find it difficult to believe the guidelines set in the above federal law would lessen school shootings.

#gmstrong
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Here We Go again... Open Season?

Link Copied to Clipboard