Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
We're 3 up on the Knicks, with 9 (IIRC) games to play. . laugh

Just checked, and we have 9 to play, and they have 11. They also have 2 more losses than we do.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
thumbsup

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Got to watch the 2nd half last night sitting on a plane in Chicago, while they did some sort of maintenance. Not fun, at least I could watch the CAVS.

Hope Allen is back soon. We really need him down low.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F

Legend
Legend
j/c...

Not sure if anything changed when we added the "play-in" format... Aren't we pretty much cemented to play the Knicks? We're the 4 (and not moving up); they're the 5 (and probably not getting passed by Brooklyn). 4 still plays the 5 in the first round, right?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #2008354 03/19/23 09:41 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yes. That's why it's important we stay ahead of them. We don't want them to have home court advantage.

1 member likes this: FATE
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F

V
Legend
Legend
V
We took care of business last night. Nice to have Allen back. Last year, we fell apart down the stretch. This year......so far, so good.

Versatile Dog #2009187 03/24/23 10:09 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Crazy game last night. It was another game of runs by both teams. The Cavs were outplayed for the most part by the Nets and severely outrebounded for most of the game. I was shocked we won. We were down by 8 w/less than 2 minutes left. The ending was amazing. We cut it to 2 and Mitchell was then fouled. He hit the first to cut it one. He missed the second, got the rebound, missed, got another rebound and missed again. The ball goes out to about half court where LeVert chased it down. He takes a couple of dribbles and throws it to Okoro in the corner. He hits the 3 pointer to give us the lead with 0.7 seconds left. Dude was mobbed. Even after the game, they doused him w/water while he was giving an interview. The joy of the players was something to behold. Great stuff.

Here is the end of the game:

Here is a link to the post-game celebration:

https://fb.watch/jtpMwkh3Fz/

Some observations:

--Mobley had a monster game 26 pts and 16 boards.

--Mitchell was great. He led us w/31 pts.

--Garland had a poor game. He was off all night and was not his usual self.

--LeVert struggled, as well. He did make a couple of huge hustle plays at the end.

--Rubio ran the offense well and made some sweet passes.

Versatile Dog #2009198 03/24/23 11:46 AM
Legend
Legend
Yeah, that was a crazy ending. Didn't get to see the postgame 'til your post -- thanks. I noticed Okoro seemed a little emotional going back to the bench right after the shot... and again in the interview. Big moment for a kid you love to root for. thumbsup

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
What a fun game last night, I wanted to change over to college basketball starting with about 8:00 minutes to go, but I didn’t and was rewarded with an awesome finish. Hope this really boosts Okoro’s play even more. Him and Levert have been playing so good the past month or two.

Think Mitchell missed on purpose? He hit the front of the iron with a line drive shot, totally unlike him.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F

Reminds me of the Nick Chubb TD call a few years ago. I think it is the same guy.

4 members like this: FATE, GratefulDawg, Versatile Dog
V
Legend
Legend
V

2 members like this: FATE, EveDawg
Versatile Dog #2009485 03/27/23 08:51 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
We clinched a playoff spot w/last night's win. I like how JB said they would appreciate it, but not make a big deal of it because they have a lot more work to do. The Cavs played well for most of the game. Then, things went south for awhile in the 3rd. I think JB is doing an excellent job, but he took Mobley, Garland, and Mitchell out and Houston went on a serious run. I would have kept one of them on the floor and subbed accordingly. Houston is a young team w/guys who are athletic and can score. They were down, but gained confidence and went on a run. Fortunately, Allen went crazy in the 4th. Grabbing rebounds, blocking shots, scoring and we regained control.

Observations:

--Allen's clean block on a breakaway dunk attempt was a thing of beauty.

--Mobley is really developing. He's getting stronger. He had a nice, all-around game.

--Mitchell got off to a great start. He's strong and has a sneaky good handle.

--Garland is such a great passer.

--LeVert was described as herky-jerky. It's true. And that is a compliment, not an insult.

--We need to clean up the careless turnovers, namely Mitchell, Garland, and Mobley.

Versatile Dog #2009771 03/29/23 10:22 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Tough game last night. Allen and Okoro were out. Wade and Neto were also ruled out, so we only had 8 players. Additionally, other than Mitchell getting some favorable calls, the refs made a lot of bad calls against us that really influenced the game.

Observations:

--Mitchell was superb. He was very aggressive on offense. Took the ball to the hole hard. Made a ton of great moves and hit tough shots.

--Mobley was terrific once again. ATL has two bigs that gave us a lot of problems. We probably got killed on the boards. Every time we rested Mobley, we got killed. Diakatie doesn't know how to block out. I'm not even sure if he got a rebound. Absolutely terrible. I have to believe that Mobley's plus/minus was high and Diakatie's was terrible.

--Garland w/a very good floor game. He totally dominated Trey Young. He probably should have shot a bit more.

--We probably needed more production from LeVert, but his effort was there.

--Young gets away w/murder. He throws himself into the defender time after time. They are unnatural basketball moves that have no shot of going in. Most of the time, he gets the call. It's BS and it's not the way the game is meant to be played.

E
Legend
Legend
E
My bro and I went to the Cavs game last night. We had courtside front row seats and sat next to some rapper and his kids. It was the single most exciting mindblowing sporting experience of my life. The club was amazing. The seats were amazing. It was wild having these basketball players standing 5 feet away. I will try to post some pics/videos another day as Im so tired. I didnt get that many pics because they move so fast. I took a bunch of videos. Totally bucketlist experience.

No Craps Given
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
E
Legend
Legend
E
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

There was tons of food on the buffet but when I saw the whole roasted pig thats all I wanted lol

No Craps Given
1 member likes this: Milk Man
E
Legend
Legend
E
link

Here's some of the videos I made.

Last edited by EveDawg; 03/29/23 05:48 PM.

No Craps Given
EveDawg #2009822 03/29/23 06:49 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
That's awesome! Glad you had such a great time.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Trae Young is tiny. But when he got in a groove I knew we weren't gonna a win.

No Craps Given
V
Legend
Legend
V
Depressing loss to the Knicks last night. They are almost certainly the team we will play in the playoffs. They beat us on our own homecourt. They outworked us. They were more physical. They were tougher.

--Mitchell had an excellent game. He came out blazing. Garland had a very good game. Everyone else was not good enough. I will say that Neto plays tough. I would have put him on Brunson more. He was the only defender to give Brunson some problems.

We did miss Allen and Okoro, but they were playing w/out Randel, their leading scorer and All Star.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Great news, andreally some fantastic news for the Cavaliers in removing the limit of 2 super-max deals..

NBA, NBPA agree on new 7-year collective bargaining agreement
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...w-7-year-collective-bargaining-agreement

The NBA and National Basketball Players Association have reached agreement on a new seven-year collective bargaining agreement, promising labor peace through the rest of the decade, sources told ESPN early Saturday morning.

The tentative deal, which starts with the 2023-24 season, was announced by the league and union and is expected to be ratified by league governors and players in the coming weeks. The deal includes a mutual opt-out after the sixth year, sources told ESPN.

Among the key elements of the deal described to ESPN:

The NBA is curbing the ability of the highest-spending teams, such as the Golden State Warriors and the LA Clippers, to continue running up salary and luxury tax spending while still maintaining mechanisms to add talent to the roster. The league is implementing a second salary cap apron -- $17.5 million over the tax line -- and those teams will lose several key team building mechanisms, including the taxpayer mid-level exception, utilizing cash in trades, moving first-round picks in drafts that are seven years away, signing free agent players in the buyout market and taking on more money than is being sent out in trades, sources said.

In recent years, there has been an average of three teams in this highest salary and tax range. The NBA decided punitive luxury tax penalties did not curb spending habits of some of league's wealthiest franchises to exceed cap, and league's hope is these measures will bring more parity to competition. The NBA initially wanted an upper spending limit -- essentially a hard cap -- but the union rejected that kind of monumental change in talks.

Under these changes, Golden State's Donte DiVincenzo, Milwaukee's Joe Ingles, Boston's Danilo Gallinari, Brooklyn's Patty Mills and former Clippers guard John Wall wouldn't have been able to sign with those teams last summer. The Clippers' acquisition of Norman Powell and Robert Covington last season would also not be allowed as LA took on more money than they sent out in the deal with the Blazers.

As a counter to those spending limitations, the new CBA focuses largely on increasing opportunities for the vast majority of teams -- both above and below the salary cap. There will be new spending and trade opportunities for teams at the middle and lower spectrum of payrolls, including larger trade exceptions and new and expanded exceptions to the salary cap. Also, there's a less punitive system for teams at the lower end of the luxury tax, sources said.

In an attempt to curb load management and lost games among star players, the NBA is tying eligibility for postseason awards -- such as All-NBA teams and MVP -- to a mandatory 65 games played. The 65-game minimum does come with some conditions.

The in-season tournament could arrive as soon as the 2023-24 season. The event will include pool-play games baked into the regular-season schedule starting in November -- with eight teams advancing to a single-elimination tournament in December. The Final Four will be held at a neutral site, with Las Vegas prominent in the discussion, sources said.

Each in-season tournament game would count toward regular-season standings; the two finalists would ultimately play an 83rd game that would not count in the regular season. Winning players and coaches will earn additional prize money.

The NBA and NBPA have agreed to increase the upper limits on extensions from a 120% increase on a current deal to 140%, which could have a significant impact on the futures of stars like Celtics forward Jaylen Brown.

Under the current rules, Brown would be allowed to sign a four-year extension worth $165 million. With the extension rules increased to 140%, however, Brown -- who is set to earn $31.8 million in the 2023-24 season, the final year of his current contract -- would be able to reach his four-year maximum of $189 million, according to ESPN's Bobby Marks.

Similarly, Sacramento Kings All-Star center Domantas Sabonis could currently sign a four-year, $111 million extension -- one that jumps up to $121 million with the increase to 140%.

The NBA and NBPA agreed to eliminate restrictions that limited a team to two designated super-max contract players on a roster. Teams weren't allowed to trade for a third super-max player, or sign one to a rookie extension. This rule change could have a near-term impact on the Cleveland Cavaliers, who have two designated super-max contract players -- Donovan Mitchell and Darius Garland - and burgeoning young star center Evan Mobley approaching his rookie extension.

The NBA and NBPA agreed on some improved leverage for restricted free agents, including a 10% increase in qualifying offers and shortening the matching period from 48 to 24 hours.

For the first time since the inception of the modern CBA in 1983, the team and league licensing revenue -- estimated to be worth $160 million for the 2023-2024 season -- will be added into the shared pool of Basketball Related Income (BRI). Owners and players split the BRI money, and that licensing revenue is expected to grow annually with the salary cap in ensuing years.

There is an increase in two-way contract slots, jumping from two to three per team. Two-way contracts were created in the 2017 collective bargaining agreement as a vehicle for teams to develop younger players. It has been seen as a success, as it's become a route to players earning long-term homes in the league, and in several cases becoming major contributors.

Some of the biggest success stories to emerge from the two-way pipeline include: Austin Reaves and Alex Caruso with the Los Angeles Lakers; Duncan Robinson and Max Strus with the Miami Heat; Anthony Lamb with the Warriors; Jose Alvarado with the New Orleans Pelicans; and Luguentz Dort with the Oklahoma City Thunder.

The agreement landed early Saturday morning after both sides agreed to extend a midnight ET deadline for the league to opt out of the final year of the previous CBA. NBA commissioner Adam Silver, NBPA executive director Tamika Tremaglio and negotiators on both sides -- including the NBA's Dan Rube and the union's Ron Klempner -- hammered out remaining details on the agreement, sources said.

After two extensions of the early opt-out deadline, the league's negotiations with Tremaglio and new NBPA president CJ McCollum delivered a deal months ahead of a possible work stoppage.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Cavs clinched home-court advantage in the first round last night. They also picked up their 50th win of the season. Those are impressive accomplishments for a young, ascending team. It wasn't easy, as Orlando is talented and improving. Mitchell was the difference. He racked up his 4th consecutive 40 point game.

Observations:

--Allen was +18; Garland +14; Mitchell +10, Osman +4; Mobley was at 0. Everyone else had negative plus/minus numbers.

--Allen was largely quiet, but he had a series of a couple of blocks and buckets in crunch time that were huge.

--Mobley was okay, but we need more from him. He wasn't all that aggressive.

--Dean Wade drives me nuts. We need Okoro back.

--Garland made some careless plays. Need to clean that up. But, he runs the show.

--Rubio had a poor game. He can't hit a 3.

--LeVert played hard. Gotta take the layup, bro. Don't pass it out to a dude like Wade.

--We need to stop the ball sooner on D. Guys get a full head of steam and there is too much dribble drive penetration.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Cavs picked up their 51st victory of the year and used all backup players. It was nice to see the bench guys and a few G-league players do such a good job last night. It was also cool to see the starters cheering them on. This team seems to have such a nice group of guys. They seem to genuinely like each other. I think they are easy to root for.

Versatile Dog #2011131 04/10/23 09:27 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c…

Cavs in six.

1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
Legend
Legend
Well, definitely not worthy of its own thread... on your next episode of Dumb Criminals...

Ex-NBA star Shawn Kemp charged with assault in March shooting
7:43 PM ET
ESPN News Services

SEATTLE -- Prosecutors in Washington state charged former NBA star Shawn Kemp on Friday with first-degree assault in a parking lot shooting last month over a stolen cellphone, saying that a text message Kemp sent just before the shooting showed his intent to confront and shoot the person who had allegedly stolen from him.

Kemp was arrested after the shooting outside the Tacoma Mall on March 8. No one was injured, and Kemp's lawyers have insisted he returned fire in self defense after tracking and trying to retrieve a cellphone that had been stolen from him earlier that day.

In a written statement sent by defense attorney Tim Leary on Friday, Kemp's legal team said he would plead not guilty: "He is confident that once the jury hears from the witnesses and sees the evidence at trial, they will conclude that he was justified in defending himself that afternoon."

A probable cause statement by Tacoma police, filed in Pierce County Superior Court on Friday, did not indicate Kemp was shot at. It said some of his statements were not corroborated by surveillance video, and that the text message sent just 13 minutes before he arrived at the mall showed his intent.

The document said Kemp told police that after being shot at he went back to his own vehicle, parked several spots away, to get his own gun. But the video showed that he was armed with the weapon when he approached the parked Toyota 4Runner where he had tracked his phone.

According to the statement, Kemp tracked his phone to a Toyota 4Runner sport utility vehicle that was parked near a JCPenney department store. He parked his own car, a Porsche, several spots away, grabbed a handgun out of a backpack and approached the 4Runner, the statement said.

The statement said he fired three times into the Toyota and then threw his gun into some bushes. The driver of the 4Runner appeared to duck one of the shots and eventually drove off, it said. Only about five minutes elapsed from the time Kemp arrived until the time the 4Runner left.

The bullets that struck the 4Runner went through the front license plate mount, the front quarter panel toward the steering wheel and through the front passenger door.

Kemp is due to be arraigned May 4.

Kemp, who has two licensed cannabis stores in Seattle, was a six-time NBA all-star and played for the Seattle SuperSonics from 1989 to 1997. He also played for Cleveland, Portland and Orlando.

Kemp made his NBA debut during the 1989-90 season as a 20-year-old who had never played college basketball. He became known for his high-flying dunks.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/36190269/ex-nba-star-shawn-kemp-charged-assault-march-shooting

M
Legend
Legend
M
Listening to this all day to get ready for Game 1.

Tackles are tackles.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Not sure Cavs are built to beat the NYK.. We struggle against physical teams. If knicks win tonight it could spiral

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
V
Legend
Legend
V
Going in, I thought the Knicks are a bad match-up for us. They are physical inside and have a PG who creates his own shot w/a series of moves.

After game one:

--Their bench destroyed ours.

--Mobley and Allen did not give us enough. Those two need to get going moving forward.

--We need to sprint back on D.

--I think there is danger relying too much on one player. JB needs to get Garland going. He's talented enough to be a huge factor as Option 1B.

--LeVert has to come up big.

--We are lacking one more 3 pt shooter. Someone to hit those corner 3s.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Yeah I think Knicks in 5, we just have too much that has to go perfect for us to win against a team like Knicks, Mobley and Allen are charmin soft and have some horrible hands and touch around the basket was non-existent. Our guards got broken down every single possession.. Okoro is not an full time NBA player. We have to do some work on this offseason to get the wing spots solidified. Garland is a quandary for me...The talking heads keep talking about him being a superstar but I most nights see a decent player who has a chance to get hot.. I'd take 2016 Kyrie over him every day. The book is going to be out, Double mitchell and make the rest beat you..it won't happen.. Mitchell still makes some incredible plays despite this but he will get worn down. NYK were probably the worst draw for the first round. Welp at least we got in without lebron. We have some pieces but they need to play better.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
I have hope, at least for tonight. Because we had some decent basketball in the loss; it ended up close. We have a lot that can be better and will have to be to win, especially away. We shot badly. We loafed back in transition, we blew threes galore, and our defense was late and soft to their shot. We also hurt them inside at times, and I think we can manufacture some foul trouble for them, especially targeting big men. Sit them down! Our bench should get minimal minutes if they can't play. I want more out of them, but a few are lead killers. BJ needs to fix the mix he has out there. Don't care who wins for us, but some of our best were late to the war. Run harder, play tough.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
E
Legend
Legend
E
Cavs a lot of fun to watch tonight. They played a lot more physical and Garland was on fire.

No Craps Given
L
Legend
Legend
L
That was a playoff effort tonight. That team playing like that is a scary team.. Hopefully they remember what that level of effort feels like because they can't let off. Biggest key was Okoro not playing.. he really hurts us when he plays, he's def been a bust and needs to be a 6-8 minute guy.. He should not get a single second over Lavert. Our bench is still very meh. We got lucky Garland was on tonight because Mitchell struggled, but DM still found a way to make an impact in the floor game.. If we can let those two trade off that will be hard to stop because you can't guard both. Quite a few breakdowns in the 3rd, there was like a stretch where we had quite a few lapses and let them go coast to coast with zero resistance. You can't roll 2 7 footers out there and allow that, foul if you have to. Speaking of, that flagrant on Allen was pure BS..even during the replay, his hand and his eyes were on the ball not Randle.

EveDawg #2011946 04/18/23 10:11 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Getting being physically dominated in Game 1 may have been the best thing to happen to the Cavs. Happy they are fast learners.

Loved seeing Mitchell defer to Garland and others tonight to build their confidence. Still say Cavs in 6.

Legend
Legend
Whole world said Cavs were soft, Cavs answered the bell. Players picking their butts off the floor all night and having dental work done on the sidelines. Punctuated by a b.s. flagrant call on Allen because he wouldn't quit on a play against a player who had no business still being on the floor. Great win.

Also, when can we just kick trash-human Dramond Green out of this league?

Last edited by FATE; 04/18/23 10:54 PM.

FATE #2011950 04/18/23 11:29 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Thibs loves to grind his starters. Nearly cost him Randle. It's just dumb.

Draymond Green retires the season after he picks up his own player option next year. I thought that was a bit of a savvy play by Sabonis, grabbed Green's foot knowing he would react stupidly.

leadtheway #2011951 04/18/23 11:33 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by leadtheway
We got lucky Garland was on tonight because Mitchell struggled, but DM still found a way to make an impact in the floor game..

I disagree with this. Mitchell did not struggle tonight. He deferred to build the confidence of Garland and others. This is huge moving forward. Had the Cavs gotten down in the game, Mitchell would have taken over.

Mitchell not having to play hero ball was fantastic leadership.

2 members like this: Jester, EveDawg
B
Legend
Legend
B
Unless you have a Michael Jordon or Larry Bird on the team, you can't rely on 1 guy. Good teams have a way of having several guys playing together and spreading the ball around. When 1 gets hot, you play to that.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Cavs/NBA

Link Copied to Clipboard