Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
We can't answer the question, is "Wills good enough to win with"...

Who was our LT when we won 12 games and had a playoff victory? I thought it was Wills? Am I mistaken?
If I recall, there was a 4 player group that played a lot at tackle, between Conklin, Wills, and 2 others, the veteran former steeler and the young one who left for the titans. It ended up a lot of 'by committee" whoever was healthy each week.
edit: Chris Hubbard, and Kendall Lamm,
between those 4 and Alex ? they used a lot of '3 tackles in the game for that snap' plays, and other things. I think Hubbard was actually the Gel that year, imo.

A lot of misinformation on this board.

Wills started and played 15 of the 16 games in that season. He missed one game w/an illness. His 1,152 snaps ranked 5th in the league of all offensive tackles. Try again.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
vers...read it again, the Browns GM feelings on issue of moving Wirfs or Wills from the RT to LT ...your argument is not with me and my opinion...your argument is with the Browns draft team and the guardrails they subscribe to, religiously . They blew the #10 pick in 2020 draft...

Also, for the record, I did not say the Browns should not resign Wills but I did say they should sign Wills to a contract that matches his inconsistent play. I have searched for the "legit opinions" that might rate Wills play higher than my own opinion and I could not find one.

Andrew Berry: 'tackles are tackles', not worried about left vs. right side

Jeff Risdon

April 10, 2020 11:13 am ET
link

The Cleveland Browns still need a left tackle. New GM Andrew Berry was peppered with questions about filling the glaring hole on the offensive line during his Friday morning press conference.

One of the key statements from Berry defused some of the argument against players like Jedrick Wills and Tristan Wirfs, players who toiled on the right side in college. Berry doesn’t worry about the differentiation between left and right tackle.

“I think the distinction between left tackle and right tackle is really outdated,” Berry said. “Tackles are tackles.”

Did Berry tip his hand even further? The tone in which he said the following sure made it seem like the No. 10 pick will be a tackle,

“The offensive line is always going to be a priority,” Berry stated emphatically. “Not just this year, but every year.”

NOTE...it should be clear now that Berry chose Wills over Wirfs based on Berry's ability to judge OL talent. Again, Browns fans need to take off those blinders and realize Berry has his faults when judging draft talent.

Last edited by mac; 04/09/23 08:17 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by THROW LONG

Who was our LT when we won 12 games and had a playoff victory? I thought it was Wills? Am I mistaken?
If I recall, there was a 4 player group that played a lot at tackle, between Conklin, Wills, and 2 others, the veteran former steeler and the young one who left for the titans. It ended up a lot of 'by committee" whoever was healthy each week.
edit: Chris Hubbard, and Kendall Lamm,
between those 4 and Alex ? they used a lot of '3 tackles in the game for that snap' plays, and other things. I think Hubbard was actually the Gel that year, imo.

A lot of misinformation on this board.

Wills started and played 15 of the 16 games in that season. He missed one game w/an illness. His 1,152 snaps ranked 5th in the league of all offensive tackles. Try again.

Who was the QB that year?

M
Legend
Legend
M
He's right. Tackles are tackles.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't have to read anything again. You have absolutely no evidence that Wirfs would be as good on the left side as the right side. Andrew Berry has done more to build a great OL than any GM in the history of the Browns.

V
Legend
Legend
V
What does that have to do w/the comment about the Browns not being able to win w/Wills? Absolutely nothing.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
What does that have to do w/the comment about the Browns not being able to win w/Wills? Absolutely nothing.

Your words:

"Who was our LT when we won 12 games and had a playoff victory? I thought it was Wills? Am I mistaken?"

V
Legend
Legend
V
I responded to this quote:

No one mentioned the qb. The discussion is about LTs and Wills in particular. Start a Baker thread if you like and don't hijack this one.

T
Legend
Legend
T
You can't talk about the Left Tackle and assign wins v. losses and not include the @uarterback, the Rb, the Head Coach and even the WR's plus TE if you want to interpret the performance of the offense, anything else would be short sided, tunnel visioned, not taking the whole picture into account, take your pick,
Plus, you can't assign to only Jed Wills all the OL left tackle play of the year 2020 when like I said, the other 3
Lamm, and the guy I always forget his name, and Conklin did so much, and they relied on that 3rd tackle in on plays so much.
" start a Baker thread if you like and don't hijak this one" ?
start another board if you like and don't attempt to control other peoples comments.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I did not assign anything. I asked a question after another poster said we couldn't win w/Wills. And go blank yourself.

P
Legend
Legend
P
And go blank yourself.

Be careful. You might chase people away from the board.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Per pro football reference in 2020 Browns:
Jed Wills fifteen games fifteen starts
Jack Conklin, RT, Fifteen games Fifteen starts

Chris Hubbard eleven games five starts
Kendall Lamm Fifteen games one start.

The Point is, Jed Wills wasn't by himself at LT that year and there are no way with 4 tackles who all played in More than ten games
eleven, fifteen, fifteen, and fifteen, that you can say that Wills was by himself as only one of two tackles primarily that year.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
V
Legend
Legend
V
OMG. Conklin is a RT. Not a LT.

Again, Wills had the 5th most snaps in the ENTIRE league even though he missed the last game of the year w/an illness.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I did not assign anything. I asked a question after another poster said we couldn't win w/Wills. And go blank yourself.

Wait...who said we can't win with Wills?

T
Legend
Legend
T
pace
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater

Wills is plenty good enough to win with.
Originally Posted by mac?
We can't answer the question, is "Wills good enough to win with"...because the Browns haven't even won enough over the past two seasons to even qualify for a playoff birth, therefore it's impossible to answer that question.

We can pretend that Wills is good enough, but until Wills actually proves himself on the field, we are doing nothing more than "HOPING and GUESSING" that Wills is good enough to win with. BUT after 3 season, the Browns still can't answer that question (is "Wills good enough to win with")...and that should give the Browns management some pause about considering a lengthy, expensive contract extension to keep an average LT on the team.
I think the correct @uestion is is Wills good enough for the offense to win with him alone on the left side as the primary player at left tackle without help.
I think it has already been proven that he is good enough to be the premier player to take on the task as part of a group,
and
that he struggles if he is asked to face the whole year at LT without help.

Mac may be pretty much right in focusing on the last 2 years b/c in those two years Wills hasn't been as much a part of a group of 4 as he was in 2020 but more has been placed by himself,
plus, I think in the last two and a half years, Conklin, Hubbard, and Wills have all had injuries, and Wills played through some of his injuries and it noticeably effected his play.
Therefore ignoring 2020 when Wills wasn't alone on the left like he was moreso in twenty one, and twenty two was a correct way to look at the situation.

Last edited by THROW LONG; 04/09/23 12:25 PM. Reason: to bold and itialicize

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
If anything, I don't question is talent but more his work ethic.

This is how I feel and why I would want to re-sign him. We don’t see him every day. I don’t know him personally.

But as a generalization of what’s in front of me and I see, work ethic and that drive to be great can be changed. That’s what keeps me intrigued about him. Maybe it’s a mature thing, maybe it’s just who he is. It’s up to the staff and his teammates to get that drive (work ethic) out of him.

There are a few themes with this FO and the Sashi regime, which oddly enough, included Berry. One of those themes is drafting younger players w/ perceived upside. Wills is 23 years old going into his 4 year in the NFL. This is a very similar situation to Njoku, IMO. Epecially as it relates to this board's quick opinion to 100% write off young players if they struggle in any way early.

Anyways, I want to pick up his option and ride out the next two seasons. If he matures and plays more consistently, we might have something.

Bingo. thumbsup

T
Legend
Legend
T
The Offensive line.

On one hand, one might think a player, any player could gain a sense of security standing next to the largest player in both groups, therefore, it would be a double benefit if two players were shoulder to shoulder with him,
also, one might think that in the NFL, a largest player would have difficulty having the @uickest first step to the outside,
both would suggest placing your new largest offensive lineman at either Guard, or the inside tackle of a side with an extra tackle would include benefits not provided by placing him on the outside.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Lets talk some EllTee

Link Copied to Clipboard