Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: PrplPplEater, YTownBrownsFan
Legend
Legend
what a stat

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

So the fewest by any team since 1972.

Seems like a weird way to give us credit due lol.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Lol. No crap.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
"Browns have allowed the fewest yards in over 50 years, how can we make that less significant??"

"Hold my beer."

L
Legend
Legend
L
And the 2023 Browns are doing it in a pass-happy, modern day NFL. This defence is very very good.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
1 member likes this: bbrowns32
T
Legend
Legend
T
I can't read the above, only blank boxes, but super bowl nation is saying
one thousand two yards through five games, not weeks but games, = fewest in fifty years and third fewest since the merger.

and they are doing it being negative in turnovers.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by FATE
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

So the fewest by any team since 1972.

Seems like a weird way to give us credit due lol.

I don't know, are we looking for a parade or something? Defense doesn't generally get a lot of buzz. It usually takes some sustained success before a D or team gets a reputation for being a great defense.

I know we have a good defense. You know we have a good defense, and the offensive coordinators around the league know we have a good defense. That's good enough for me.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Agree - need to sustain this level for a full season for us to get kudos. That said:

https://www.espn.co.uk/nfl/insider/...rprises-browns-bengals-jets-lions-texans

Jim Schwartz was the best acquisition any team made all offseason

The Browns brought in Schwartz as their new defensive coordinator this season, and so far, they appear to have the league's best, meanest and toughest defense. They held the previously unbeaten 49ers -- who had scored at least 30 points in each of their first five games -- to 17 on Sunday.

EDITOR'S PICKS

Sure, the Niners had a rash of major injuries during the game, and the Browns still needed a 41-yard Jake Moody field goal attempt to sail wide at the final whistle in order to hold on to win. But defensive end Myles Garrett and the defense stifled an offense that no one else has been able to even slow down. And as a result, the Browns are 3-2 and squarely in the AFC North hunt even though they don't have quarterback Deshaun Watson. And the Niners went home with their first loss of the season.

Verdict: NOT AN OVERREACTION

The numbers speak for themselves, folks. Entering Sunday, the Browns ranked first in defensive efficiency, according to ESPN's Football Power Index. They ranked 30th in offense. They've allowed a total of 1,002 yards so far this season. Only two teams since the 1970 merger allowed fewer yards in their first five games -- the 1971 Colts and 1970 Vikings. These are practically prehistoric numbers the Browns are putting up on defense.

If Watson can make it back from his right shoulder injury soon, and if the offense can get itself on track, Cleveland is going to be a major problem. Clearly, the Browns had the players, but Schwartz has brought it all together in a big way. Next week, they get the Colts, who turned it over four times Sunday in Jacksonville. Viewer discretion is advised.[i][/i][color:#33CC00][/color]

Last edited by mgh888; 10/16/23 06:10 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
Legend
Legend
Schwartz has done such a good job of using the new (GOOD) acquisitions ... but also using our older guys in better ways (Delpit, JOK come to mind)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Lol. I agree 100%.

But facts are still facts. If a team has allowed the fewest yards in 50 years, why say they've allowed the third fewest in 52?

It's a tongue-in-cheek message done purposefully (probably) to the most maligned fans in the league, so that the rest of the league will laugh. I laughed too, no biggie here.

It's like telling your wife she looks great in that dress, but only while she's sitting down.

Last edited by FATE; 10/16/23 09:08 AM.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Maybe they mentioned 1970 because that's when the merger happened. Anyway, it's quite an accomplishment and a credit to our coaches and players!! thumbsup

1 member likes this: PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Yeah, it's definitely because of the merger. It's still funny.

I'm gonna embrace it and put a scowl on my face -- helps me keep my edge. 🤣

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
One thing about the article, when they mention points allowed, it would not be unusual for an article by ESPN to point out that 7 of those points were nearly directly related to a Browns' offense TO. Not true statistically, but IMHO, the D allowed 10 points to that 30+ PPG offense.

Also, I thought the "viewer discretion is advised" comment was funny.

Legend
Legend
We need to maintain our confidence and health, and winning cures a lot of that stuff

I've been impressed with our front and run fits. CMC was bottled up for a lot of the day after the first drive

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
We need to maintain our confidence and health, and winning cures a lot of that stuff

I've been impressed with our front and run fits. CMC was bottled up for a lot of the day after the first drive

Did CNC play? According to the media the 49ers were without he and Samuel.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life

Did CNC play? According to the media the 49ers were without he and Samuel.
CMC was knocked out in the 3rd quarter

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
They both played the first half. CMC made a couple attempts to come back in the 3rd, but alas, his booboo belly was too severe.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
If our O can just produce a little more we would really have something to cheer about.

Legend
Legend
heck, in our losses we are literally just praying for the O to not turn it over

L
Legend
Legend
L
Lol. I agree 100%.

But facts are still facts. If a team has allowed the fewest yards in 50 years, why say they've allowed the third fewest in 52?

It's a tongue-in-cheek message done purposefully (probably) to the most maligned fans in the league, so that the rest of the league will laugh. I laughed too, no biggie here.

It's like telling your wife she looks great in that dress, but only while she's sitting down.

I'd like to see the offensive numbers those two years in contrast to what teams today do. Teams back then were averaging 50 YPG less than teams now. So in perspective, the Browns D are better than those

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1005862/nfl-average-yards-per-game-development-over-time/

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Practically speaking the offense has given up at least 21 points due to turnovers.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

1 member likes this: PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
Lol. I agree 100%.

I think what they were doing is using stats from the SB era. There have been 56 Super Bowls and that's what is widely considered the modern era of football. I don't believe there's any more to it than that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
It's definitely a "since the merger" comment.

It's just too easy to imagine it was a humorous, but back-handed, "we'll only give you so much credit" post. rofl Believe me, I'm typing that with a smile on my face and knowing that probably wasn't the case at all.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Lol. I agree 100%.

Tom Withers wasn't having any of it....

Legend
Legend
It's definitely a "since the merger" comment.

It's just too easy to imagine it was a humorous, but back-handed, "we'll only give you so much credit" post. rofl Believe me, I'm typing that with a smile on my face and knowing that probably wasn't the case at all.

It's certainly the kind of 'gallows humor' that should resonate with all Dawgs.

I got it.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
For a week it sure is nice to see people happy about the team.

I was watching Quincy Carrier's live reaction. But a smile on my face.

Nate Segura and Andrew Siciliano's live call was another fun thing to watch.

I love enthusiasm. People hollering and screaming for the Browns.

Legend
Legend
there was a great clip of Siciliano on the Rich Eisen show when he explained the whole thing ... fun stuff

Legend
Legend
Maybe this should become it's own thread, but just imagine where a defense like this would have us if we had a better offense.

The offense right now:

Dead Freaking Last in Turnovers: Both in Total and Differential.
Well below the 40th percentile and nearly bottom third in Points/Game

Yes, we are technically tied with the Pats in Differential, and the Vikings have one more actual turnover, but both of those teams have played 6 games to our 5.
We're only scoring 19 pts/game on offense, and it feels like our offense gives up 10-14 per game while consistently giving up more turnovers than our D can create..... and that's no knock on the D because it's tough to rack up huge turnover numbers when the opponent doesn't get to stay on the field very long.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Also note: target Denver in fantasy sports.

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Been saying they look like a historic D since the first or second game. They keep this up and they will be remembered like the 85 bears.

Legend
Legend
gosh we just need our offense to NOT lose us games and we'll win most of them

P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree that if they keep playing this way they should be remembered like the 85 bears but I doubt they will be for one main reason. The 85 Bears defense was pivotal in taking the Bears to and winning a SB in 85. As their W/L record kept getting batter, as they made the playoffs and then the SB, the attention of that D gained more and more popularity. They became celebrities. Especially The Fridge.

Now if this D can take the Browns to that level of success I agree with you. Otherwise they will still be considered a great D but never put on a pedestal and get the attention of the 85 Bears defense.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
when you have a dominant group and/or team, it is REALLY important to start each game and give the opponent little hope .. like we have to go into Indy and stifle them, fly around, make their life hell for the first 2-3 drives

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I agree that if they keep playing this way they should be remembered like the 85 bears but I doubt they will be for one main reason. The 85 Bears defense was pivotal in taking the Bears to and winning a SB in 85. As their W/L record kept getting batter, as they made the playoffs and then the SB, the attention of that D gained more and more popularity. They became celebrities. Especially The Fridge.

Now if this D can take the Browns to that level of success I agree with you. Otherwise they will still be considered a great D but never put on a pedestal and get the attention of the 85 Bears defense.

Quoted for Truth.
You get remembered by being this good AND WINNING IT ALL.

If they keep it up, they'll still rank with, or ahead of, all those sorts of teams... they just won't be highly regarded and will instead be a punchline for "defense wins championships".

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The defensive numbers would be even better if the offense was average.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
The defensive numbers would be even better if the offense was average.

And nothing says it won't become average or better as the season moves on.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Jim Schwartz and the Defense

Link Copied to Clipboard