Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't pay attention to point spreads unless I am betting, which I don't do very often. Points are established by the book to even out the betting on each game. If one team is drawing to much money, the points are adjusted to get more money on the other team.

It more about the sports books and betting over anything it has to do with the game.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I believe that's true to a great extent. The reason I pay so much attention to the betting line is that I am in the pickum pool Hooper has been running since what seems like forever now. As such you pick against the line every week. And while I think you're right that they even out the bets by using the line, for some strange reason it still ends up being eerily close to accurate a lot of the time.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
That is true as well. If the Bookies made predictions that are way off, someone is going to lose their butt. All I am saying is I don't pay much attention to if it is a good way to forecast if we win or lose. The books don't care who wins or loses as long as they get fairly equal money each way.

And I didn't make it clear in the previous post, it was more a general comment and not really directed at any one person.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
players always know most

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
OP Online
Legend
The people inside know what they are looking at.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/arti...ise_for_browns_defense/s1_16697_39260826

Bengals QB coach "we will be talking about the Browns defense like they are talking about Dallas now."

More than anything this is encouraging because defensive play can translate week to week.

Schwartz has these guys playing team united defense. Playing together. Communicating.

All the things that were lacking last year.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I want to see what they do when they get smacked in the mouth during a game. Last weekend was awesome to watch, but I'm only cautiously optimistic.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
L
Legend
Legend
L
Hear ya, oober. We won’t dominate every week in the manner in which we dispatched Cinci. We need to see them play very good D on a consistent basis. It’s much too early to make ‘85 Bears‘ comparisons, but if we stay healthy this defence will keep us in a lot of games.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
B
Legend
Legend
B
No doubt, one game doesn't make a season. Schwartz said as much in his PC. I agree with something Boner mentioned. What we saw can carry over.

No matter what, players can always control preparation, attitude, and determination. What happened the week before or in the current game doesn't have to impact those things.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Spot on and I agree. Want to see them win a gut check and win it convincingly. Schwartz needs to receive a pillow with his magic word cross-stitched on it: "Badassery." I will forever have that word and attitude paired with him. LOL

What we are seeing is exactly what we needed to see. We have been outmuscled, bullied, and plain out hustled last few years. I am eager to watch some more hungry defense. I suspect and I hope that badassery is contagious. Our DC is the spark and the fuse. Go, Browns!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Legend
Legend
B
It is a pretty good word!

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

I'm concerned that Schwartz might have his defense 'too amped-up'... leading to a poor defensive performance Monday night.

I would want my defense to be emotional and confident but the Browns defense must be smart and prepared for the unexpected.

As someone wrote earlier, the Steelers seem to have a knack of taking advantage of their opponents stupid mistakes, allowing their opponents to beat themselves.

Just play smart football...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
The other side of that coin, however, is that the Steelers are NOT the Steelers of the past, and this team does not appear - thus far - to be like any Browns team from our past.

Honestly, I fully expect this game to beat an unholy beatdown of the Steelers by us. That isn't be being a fanboy and getting overly hyped, because the "fan" in me is pretty well dead at this point; this is just looking at it objectively. Their OLine is kinda trash and their DLine just took some MAJOR hits. There is literally NO EXCUSE for us to not outright control the trenches completely on both sides. If our secondary does what it showed it can do, they don't have the WR's to challenge ANY of them.

That said, it is a division game, and those always seem to play closer than they should for like three quarters, but honestly, barring mistakes on our part, I see little reason that they should be in the game at all by the end of the 3rd.

For the last several years, pretty much ALL of us on here have been screaming at our keyboards for a DLine like we have now. Somehow, mst everyone on this board could see that our DT's weren't up to standards, but Berry simply wouldn't deliver on fixing that and we got what we saw. Bad defense. The same thing applies for our WR corps, but that is for another topic, not one on defense.
Those transgressions have had amends made and now we're seeing what we had hoped to see the past several seasons: a DLine that is capable of stopping the run AND killing a QB's dreams while giving him PTSD.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

2 members like this: Bard Dawg, OldColdDawg
Legend
OP Online
Legend
When last season ended Berry knew he messed up. Credit to him for looking in the mirror and concluding. This is ending right now. Woods was fired.

Jim Schwartz was quickly hired and given full reign to fix the defense. I have no doubt that Schwartz had a big impact from that point on as to what defensive players were added.

It did not take long for Schwartz to make an impact on the players. He coaches hard. He makes the players accountable. He brings the same energy every day. He formed them into a united unit to play team ball.

I listened to Jason Kelce from the Eagles. He said that after that week of practice. They knew the Browns DL would be a serious challenge to any team.

Looking at the OL of the Steelers versus the DL of the Browns from PFF grades. It looks like a mismatch.

This is not the Steelers of old or the Browns of old.

Outside of weird turnovers and wild special teams plays. This does not look like a close game on paper.

Games are played on fields and nothing is for certain. However, this game may change the course of the North.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Berry might have knew he messed up. Or big investments in that D-line may have been a demand from Schwartz to accept the job as DC in Cleveland. I would highly doubt Schwartz would accept a job where he was destined to fail considering the weakness of that D-line. It's a question we'll never truly know the answer to.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by bonefish
When last season ended Berry knew he messed up.

Most of us knew he messed up before last season started.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

2 members like this: WSU Willie, PitDAWG
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by mac
jc...

I'm concerned that Schwartz might have his defense 'too amped-up'... leading to a poor defensive performance Monday night.

I would want my defense to be emotional and confident but the Browns defense must be smart and prepared for the unexpected.

As someone wrote earlier, the Steelers seem to have a knack of taking advantage of their opponents stupid mistakes, allowing their opponents to beat themselves.

Just play smart football...
This usually when the Browns , in this case, have their offense, on the field.
More often you lose with your offense on the field, against a team with a really good defense.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
OP Online
Legend
True.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater

I think that's mostly true.

I also think the Watson suspension created a 'stand pat' situation on a few fronts though. Maybe it became easier to play close to the vest in defensive investments, so that we could see if there was any chance in hell of Woods panning out? It's a lot easier to secure your next DC when he knows you aren't married to bad contracts and have plenty of ammo to let him craft his defense the way he sees fit.

Just my over-analyzed, esoteric two cents.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by GMdawg
Something that this discussion keeps circling but hasn't pinpointed is that Schwartz's scheme is intended to be simpler and more aggressive. From media reports that I've seen most of the blown coverage issues came from the multitude of variables in Woods' zone coverages. Guys were thinking too much and at times being confused about their assignments. Schwartz is expected to play much more man coverage. So DBs can play more instinctually.

As my chinese friends would say "Ed Zackery"

As in his face looks “Ed Zackery” like his butt?

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater

Did Berry mess up..?

Berry was saddled with Pre-established limits that were established in 2016 by the analytics group...

...THE GUARDRAILS... note: the link added for reference...link

In 2022 Berry, with the total support of DC Woods, continued to operate under the Browns Pre-established Guardrails.

Why didn't Berry secure the defensive help that was needed in 2022...?..good question.
...was Berry operating independently or under a top-down management style..?
...Berry is the #3 man in the organization working under ownership (Jimmy+Dee, Whitney, JW)...
...and CSO-DePodesta (the author of the Guardrails)

After the 2022 season, it was obvious that the Browns needed better coaching on the defensive side and Woods was fired.

So what changed from 2022 and 2023..?

IMO, in 2023, with the arrival of Jim Schwartz, he was allowed to build his defense his way. Ownership supported Schwartz, opening the checkbook to acquire the players Schwartz needed. Berry also supported Schwartz by doing all he could to secure the players Schwartz needed.

One game does not make a season so we need to see more from the Defense before we make any final conclusion.

jmo, mac

R
Legend
Legend
R
I don't think any of us know the answers to your questions.

I think all we can hope for is Depo has a good game plan for tomorrow's game.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Do you know for a fact the "guardrails" used when building the team are the "guardrails" of today?

Looks like not. Looks like we are smart enough to change as situations change. Building a team and finishing a team are different things.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Did Berry mess up..?

Berry was saddled with Pre-established limits that were established in 2016 by the analytics group...

Once again 100 percent bullcrap. Berry has not been saddled with anything.

In 2022 Berry, with the total support of DC Woods, continued to operate under the Browns Pre-established Guardrails.

In 2022 Woods was given the total support or Berry and the rest of the Browns staff, just like Schwartz is being given now. The difference is Woods was not good enough at his job, and Schwartz is.

Why didn't Berry secure the defensive help that was needed in 2022...?..good question.
...was Berry operating independently or under a top-down management style..?
...Berry is the #3 man in the organization working under ownership (Jimmy+Dee, Whitney, JW)...
...and CSO-DePodesta (the author of the Guardrails)

Why didn't Woods ask for help instead of saying he thought we were good?
Berry was working within the framework the Browns have set up. Advice is asked for and listen to from multiple sources including Stefanski, Schwartz (and Woods before him) and every Coach and scout as well as the Analytics Department with the Browns. Berry is in charge of processing that info and making the decisions. At no time has Berry been working UNDER Depo

Your which hunt is getting really old bud.

Hell even your IT guy Yes That's what Chris Pokorny does for a living. He is an IT guy, states at the end of his article "Presumably, the Guardrails document doesn’t exist under John Dorsey. That’s not to say the principles aren’t in practice, as much of them should be common to all NFL teams."

Last edited by GMdawg; 09/18/23 08:47 AM.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
1 member likes this: PerfectSpiral
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Do you know for a fact the "guardrails" used when building the team are the "guardrails" of today?

Looks like not. Looks like we are smart enough to change as situations change. Building a team and finishing a team are different things.

peen...Obviously something did change in 2023.

Not only did the Browns hire Jim Schwartz as DC in 2023 but it appears that the age related GUARDRAILS that Depo established in 2016, suddenly "disappeared" ...

...the Browns roster that ranked #1 in 2022, the youngest roster in the NFL with an average age of 25.1, the Browns 2023 roster ranked 18th in the NFL with a 25.9 average age.

Why is important for the Browns to add older players the roster...along with older players comes MORE NFL EXPERIENCE.

Experience is a critical factor in the development of a young player. Clearly DC Schwartz made the Browns know what kind of players he would be looking to add to his defense if the Browns hired him.

The Browns trend toward a roster of younger players with less NFL experience appears to have ended and I see that as a plus for the Browns franchise.

P
Legend
Legend
P
It changed by an entire .8 years!? Oh the humanity!

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
....players being about a year older a year later doesn't really seem like a radical shift.

Fiercely Independent.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Your which hunt is getting really old bud.

There is no witch-hunt, bud...

The changes we are seeing are long overdo, imo and a welcomed change for the franchise. For years it seemed the franchise #1 goal was to lead the NFL in cap space available.

I used to remind everyone that there NO TROPHY for the franchise that ends the year with the most CAP SPACE. Saving money seemed to be the overwhelming pursuit of those running the Browns franchise. I'm all for being conservative when it comes to spending money but the Browns management/ownership seemed to lose focus on what the 'ultimate goal' is...a Lombardi Trophy.

I'm thankful for the effort of the Browns management team that is doing their best to work with the coaches, helping to secure the talent the coaches feel they need.

You can't measure a players desire to win with a stop watch.

Sixteen more games ahead..hunting for Lombardi, gm

Legend
Legend
The changes we are seeing are long overdo, imo and a welcomed change for the franchise. For years it seemed the franchise #1 goal was to lead the NFL in cap space available.

For a few years the plan was to tear the team down to the studs and rebuild, Yes that included loading up on draft picks and keeping a low salary cap. The plan also included spending more once we got "Close" which we are now. We are in our window now, that's not a surprise to the front office.

I used to remind everyone that there NO TROPHY for the franchise that ends the year with the most CAP SPACE.

We agree on the no trophy lol Just remember their is no Trophy for keeping a few vets and spending more when It would only slow the rebuild, and tie up money we needed when got close. I mean do you eally think it matters if we went 1-31 or if we would have gone 10-22?

Saving money seemed to be the overwhelming pursuit of those running the Browns franchise. I'm all for being conservative when it comes to spending money but the Browns management/ownership seemed to lose focus on what the 'ultimate goal' is...a Lombardi Trophy.

They did remain focused, no matter how much people outside of the building whined and cried, because we didn't add a player or two who would have made us good enough in the long run to still be losers.

You can't measure a players desire to win with a stop watch.

Agreed 100 percent. and you also can't win games with the desire of Rudy and the speed of a turtle. Which is why I am glad the Browns look at both.

Sixteen more games ahead..hunting for Lombardi, gm

Once again something we can agree on smile

Last edited by GMdawg; 09/18/23 12:24 PM.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
pit, bull...any job I've ever done, I was a helluva lot better doing that job after I had some experience.

It's no different with football...I can speak of my own football experience, never playing outside LB before my soph year and playing outside LB as a junior after a year of experience playing the position. That one year of experience made a huge difference in my ability to play the outside LB position.

Experience matters .

P
Legend
Legend
P
GM explained the process to you. Either you get it or you don't. If you don't that's not everyone elses issue. Only your own.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: FATE
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Players getting experience and age guardrails disappearing are two rather separate things.

I don't disagree with what you say in this post.

Fiercely Independent.
T
Legend
Legend
T
D Ward can't tackle.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
D Ward can't tackle.

Gunner would like a word with you.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
Players getting experience and age guardrails disappearing are two rather separate things.

I don't disagree with what you say in this post.

The Browns defense under the Browns 'new' DC Schwartz played well enough to win last nights game...

1 member likes this: GMdawg
Legend
Legend
Browns defense should be 2-0 ... Browns everything else should be 0-2

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
the Browns defense has allowed only one TD in two games. No opposing team has reached the Red Zone. The opposition is 7 of 29 on third-down situations. The Browns defense has 18 QB hits in two games. This is a unit that can carry the team to a lot of wins if the offense stays away from major negative plays.
https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...n-pittsburgh-terry-plutos-scribbles.html

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Schwartz and the D has been awesome. Literally as good as imagined.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
the Browns defense has allowed only one TD in two games. No opposing team has reached the Red Zone. The opposition is 7 of 29 on third-down situations. The Browns defense has 18 QB hits in two games. This is a unit that can carry the team to a lot of wins if the offense stays away from major negative plays.
https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...n-pittsburgh-terry-plutos-scribbles.html

This is why I was so high on our winning last night, we only needed average out of DW and Ski, they failed miserably.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Jim Schwartz and the Defense

Link Copied to Clipboard