Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
. It is perhaps the only non democratic thing that remains.

Other than the Constutional Republic?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My issue with the Electoral College is that if you are a republican in NY or California or a democrat in Texas or Alabama, then essentially your vote doesn't count in Presidential elections.
As a result, these elections are determined by a handful of states.
I think 3 states divide their electoral votes. If all states did that, I would support that.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Actually a lot of them are pretty large states with small a population. Places like Wyoming and Montana certainly aren't what I would categorize as small states.

Sorry for not being clear but I meant population size.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FrankZ
Is that why dems don't like it then, solely because it doesn't help them? Seems like the other side of the coin doesn't it?

I didn't know the Dems were against it. My comment was that if if it was the other way around the GOP would actually proactively do something about it. Whether it's creating contrived legislation or stocking the supreme court... imo the GOP are much better at bending the rules to get what they want than the Dems. Or if you can justify the debacle with Garland and Barrett go ahead.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by mgh888
Is that why dems don't like it then, solely because it doesn't help them? Seems like the other side of the coin doesn't it?

I didn't know the Dems were against it. My comment was that if if it was the other way around the GOP would actually proactively do something about it. Whether it's creating contrived legislation or stocking the supreme court... imo the GOP are much better at bending the rules to get what they want than the Dems. Or if you can justify the debacle with Garland and Barrett go ahead.

Did you sleep through the screams after 2016? All the calls to abolish it?

M
Legend
Legend
M
You might be listening to a few and thinking it's the many. idk. Certainly there is good solid grounds for amendment.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You might be listening to a few and thinking it's the many. idk. Certainly there is good solid grounds for amendment.

No, I am just remembering how much air play it got.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Other than the Constitutional Republic?

I could have worded that better,

It is perhaps the only item in the constitution is not decided by the voting in a general election.

We could get into a discussion as to structure representation as well, but that is amendment territory. States like California have one senator for roughly 19 million people where as someone from Wyoming has 1 for every 290,000.

But I understand that is the way the framers wanted it. I also understand that if it was a a different type of representative democracy it would favor the D's. That is why the past few elections have not been consistent between the vote and the electoral college winner.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Other than the Constitutional Republic?

I could have worded that better,

It is perhaps the only item in the constitution is not decided by the voting in a general election.

We could get into a discussion as to structure representation as well, but that is amendment territory. States like California have one senator for roughly 19 million people where as someone from Wyoming has 1 for every 290,000.

But I understand that is the way the framers wanted it. I also understand that if it was a a different type of representative democracy it would favor the D's. That is why the past few elections have not been consistent between the vote and the electoral college winner.

And California has 52 representatives while Wyoming has 1. The whole structure is a balancing act, usually people only want to change it when they aren't winning.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
yep, lost of people live in California, those are the numbers. It used to be 55 if I recall.

Last time I calculated it, there was 1 congressional representative per roughly 750,000 people.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

O
Legend
Legend
O

Denying our American democracy exist is fascist and cringe worthy.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/16/23 11:36 AM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
O
Legend
Legend
O
The electoral college must be cast onto the trash pile of white supremacist American political history.

And Disney, Mickey Mouse according to Trump, is still kicking DeStains ass at every move. I can’t believe people think he’s strong, competent, or moral. He’s SOOOOO fascist, you’d have to be blind and really stupid not to see it.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/16/23 11:43 AM.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
And that was well before the expansion of The United States to the west. As a result here is what we're left with....

Take Wyoming as an example. One electoral vote accounts for 193,000 people. While in Texas and California as examples, one electoral vote accounts for over 700,000 people. That makes for a huge discrepancy in how much each Americans vote counts.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg

Denying our American democracy exist is fascist and cringe worthy.

If that is your opinion I'm good worth what I said.

Screaming fascist at everything is pretty cringe worthy.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I call it like I SEE it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
And that was well before the expansion of The United States to the west. As a result here is what we're left with....

Take Wyoming as an example. One electoral vote accounts for 193,000 people. While in Texas and California as examples, one electoral vote accounts for over 700,000 people. That makes for a huge discrepancy in how much each Americans vote counts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyoming

Not true 580,000.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I said nothing about the population of Wyoming. They have a total of three electoral votes based on their population. According to your own figure that equals one electoral vote for every 193,333 people. Not one electoral vote for their entire population of 580,000 people.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
got it..

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I call it like I SEE it.
Maybe you should see someone in a professional capacity. You really seem to have some frightening ideas.

Legend
Legend
There would be many sound reasons to argue for an end or an amendment of the electoral voting system. And while I know and respect that it was set up the way it is in order to protect smaller states rights .... currently the balance is far too extreme in favor of the minority/small states. You can bet every last cent you own that if this was flipped and the small states were Blue, the GOP would find and be actively looking for a work around.

Is that why the Goper’s like it then, solely because it helps them. Yep the other side of the coin. But the Goper’s coin is “heads I win, tails you loose.”

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
I call it like I SEE it.
Maybe you should see someone in a professional capacity. You really seem to have some frightening ideas.

And talking about your frighting ideas is off limits right? Lol

– Jackie Robinson
M
Legend
Legend
M

So what democrats have called for changing or abolishing it?

If you remember a lot of noise but there is no actual proposal for change, I'd say listening to the talking heads and the noise of the moment is the definition of listening to the few. But there you go, I could agree with you and you'd find a way to try to fight.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral
I call it like I SEE it.

And talking about your frighting ideas is off limits right? Lol

Oh look, you pulled out that tired old trope.

Feeling all good about yourself?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

If you remember a lot of noise but there is no actual proposal for change, I'd say listening to the talking heads and the noise of the moment is the definition of listening to the few. But there you go, I could agree with you and you'd find a way to try to fight.

I let you search for the news of it back in 2016. Unless you need me to post you a LMGTFY link.

Deny deny deny deny. It's like there is a bubble around some people here and if it isn't happening in that bubble it doesn't exist.

Legend
Legend

Actually yes. Lol.. I wasn’t the one telling others to seek professional help. Hope you’re feeling all good about that.

– Jackie Robinson
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Actually yes. Lol.. I wasn’t the one telling others to seek professional help. Hope you’re feeling all good about that.

It isn't about feeling good about myself. Anyone that fires off that much hate and anger is not doing well. Try looking out for others instead of trying to score little meaningless points.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S

15 states have passed a compact stating their states electors will be awarded to the candidate that wins the national popular vote. Those 15 states account for 72% of the 270 electoral votes needed to win. If thats just noise to you, then clearly you are not paying attention.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
Legend
Legend
Only 15 states out 50 is hardly a peep. The trump brigade strikes again.

– Jackie Robinson
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Gaslighting doesn't change history.

15 states that outright ban abortion would have you screaming from the rooftops.

Legend
Legend

Gaslighting doesn't change history.

15 states that outright ban abortion would have you screaming from the rooftops.
Pointing out only 15 states out of 50 is not gaslighting. Pffft …. then you use an abortion whatabout. Typical. notallthere

– Jackie Robinson
O
Legend
Legend
O
I call it like I SEE it.

People like you would do good to fear people like me. We represent the end of 1800s to 1960s thinking in America. An end of white supremacist bias in all things government. That should really scare the hell out of most trumpians, GOP propagandist, and fascist far right wingers.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I call it like I SEE it.

People like you would do good to fear people like me. We represent the end of 1800s to 1960s thinking in America. An end of white supremacist bias in all things government. That should really scare the hell out of most trumpians, GOP propagandist, and fascist far right wingers.

You aren't even remotely scary. You just have ideas running about in your head that seem to keep you frightened. Fascists everywhere. Boooooooooooooooogy men. Boooo!

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
https://www.congress.gov/116/bills/s894/BILLS-116s894is.xml

DHS draft document: White supremacists are greatest terror threat

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/04/white-supremacists-terror-threat-dhs-409236

Peters Investigative Report Shows DHS and FBI Are Not Adequately Addressing Domestic Terrorism Threat

Investigation Also Found That Social Media Companies’ Current Incentive Structures Contribute to Spread of Extremist Content

https://www.hsgac.senate.gov/media/...ly-addressing-domestic-terrorism-threat/

They say ignorance is bliss.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I call it like I SEE it.

You aren't even remotely scary. You just have ideas running about in your head that seem to keep you frightened. Fascists everywhere. Boooooooooooooooogy men. Boooo!

Don't take anyone elses word for it. Go read Mien Kampf. (my Struggle) Even kinda sounds like Trump LOL! Study what Hitler did in the 1930's. Compare that to the actions and words of the MAGA movement and Trump and those that closely align with Trump including Proud Boys, KKK, 1 percenters etc.... All of what you see in there is happening today.. Book banning, Hate for one group of persons or another etc. It's all there.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=mein+kampf+in+english

If you open up your mind, you may find that there are Fascists everywhere and they are Booooooooooooogy men all around us. They've been there for decades but they mostly stayed in the bushes until Trump made it ok to be a Bigot.

Last edited by Damanshot; 05/18/23 02:27 PM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
j/c

This isn't a direct article pertaining to Disney but rather the overall "anti woke" as they call it topic. I didn't feel it was worthy of an entire new thread......

Penguin Random House, advocates and authors sue Florida school district over book bans

Book publisher Penguin Random House, along with several parents, authors and the literary and free speech advocacy group PEN America, are suing a Florida school district to challenge the removal of several books on race and LGBTQ issues from school libraries.

The suit was filed Wednesday in the Northern District of Florida against the Escambia County school district and its school board in Pensacola, Florida.

It was brought by attorneys representing the publisher and the advocacy group, as well as five authors whose books have been either removed from school libraries or are being challenged, and parents of children impacted by the book bans.

They argue that school officials violated the First Amendment because they chose to remove books against the recommendations of school committees reviewing book challenges, and “based on their disagreement with the ideas expressed in those books,” according to the lawsuit.

“This disregard for professional guidance underscores that the agendas underlying the removals are ideological and political, not pedagogical,” the lawsuit says.

In the suit, they also argue school officials violated the Equal Protection clause of the 14th Amendment because the books being challenged and those removed are disproportionately written by people of color and LGBTQ authors, or address race and identity topics.

Cody Strother, a spokesperson for Escambia County Public Schools, told CNN the district is “unable to comment on potential pending litigation.”

Two Escambia County School Board members also told CNN they couldn’t comment on pending litigation. CNN has asked the other three board members for comment about the lawsuit but has not received a response.

In the current school year, about 200 books have been challenged in Escambia County Public Schools, according to data compiled by district officials and made available online.

More than half of those titles have been placed under restricted access and require parental permission during the review process, and 16 books have been either removed from all libraries or made only available for certain grades, according to the district’s data.

“Children in a democracy must not be taught that books are dangerous. The freedom to read is guaranteed by the constitution,” Suzanne Nossel, CEO of PEN America, said in a statement.

Nadine Farid Johnson, an attorney and managing director of PEN America’s Washington and Free Expression programs, said the book bans in Escambia County schools are “blatantly unconstitutional attempts to silence and stigmatize.”

“The government should not foster censorship by proxy, allowing one person to decide what ideas are out of bounds for all,” she said in a statement.

The lawsuit seeks the return of removed books to the school libraries in the district as well as costs and attorney fees.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/17/us/f...0c0g3ge0GgLFFYEPbtNEEZkfLCwwAvjj0fHNMQlQ

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
People in Buffalo, Austin, Charleston, Pittsburgh, Michigan, Oklahoma City, and a few other places disagree.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Disney cancels plans to relocate employees to Florida amid DeSantis feud

Alexandra Canal·Senior Reporter
Thu, May 18, 2023 at 3:08 PM EDT·3 min read

Disney (DIS) is cancelling plans to relocate thousands of California-based employees to the state of Florida amid its ongoing feud with Florida Governor Ron DeSantis.

According to an internal memo obtained by Yahoo Finance, Josh D'Amaro, chairman at Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products, told employees the company, which had been building a new campus in the Lake Nona region of Orlando, was now scrapping those plans.

"Given the considerable changes that have occurred since the announcement of this project, including new leadership and changing business conditions, we have decided not to move forward with construction of the campus," D'Amaro wrote.

"This was not an easy decision to make, but I believe it is the right one," he continued. "As a result, we will no longer be asking our employees to relocate. For those who have already moved, we will talk to you individually about your situation, including the possibility of moving you back."

The relocation plans were first announced in July 2021 under then-CEO Bob Chapek with the employee campus set to open in 2022-2023. The project was eventually delayed to 2026.

"It is clear to me that the power of this brand comes from our incredible people, and we are committed to handling this change with care and compassion," D’Amaro said. "I remain optimistic about the direction of our Walt Disney World business. We have plans to invest $17 billion and create 13,000 jobs over the next ten years. I hope we’re able to do so."

Thursday's update comes amid Disney's (DIS) high-profile battle with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis.

The fight stems from what has largely been seen as a politically-targeted response over Disney's reaction to the so-called "Don't Say Gay" law, which forbids instruction on sexual orientation and gender identity from kindergarten through third grade.

In 2022, then-Disney CEO Bob Chapek condemned this law at the company's annual shareholder meeting after initially deciding not to speak publicly on the matter.

In response, DeSantis signed a bill into law that allows him to take control of the company's long-standing special tax district, formerly known as Reedy Creek.

The political firestorm is still ongoing. Disney filed a lawsuit against DeSantis last month, alleging a "targeted campaign of government retaliation."

The governor's hand-selected Central Florida Tourism Oversight District board launched a countersuit against Disney shortly after its initial complaint, citing "backroom deals" favorable to the media giant.

The office of Governor DeSantis did not immediately respond to Yahoo Finance's request for comment over Disney's decision to eliminate the Lake Nona campus, although it previously told YF that Disney's moves showcase a "desperate attempt to maintain their special privileges and ignore the will of Floridians as expressed through their duly elected representatives."

Recently, Disney CEO Bob Iger has defended the company's actions and denounced DeSantis' practices on multiple occasions.

"Does the state want us to invest more, employ more people, and pay more taxes, or not?" he said on Disney’s second-quarter conference call last week.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/disn...lorida-amid-desantis-feud-190827526.html

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Disney on Thursday upped the ante in its battle with Florida’s Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis, and it cost his state 2,000 white-collar jobs.

Disney is scrapping plans to build a $1 billion office complex in Florida, citing “changing business conditions,” according to a memo provided by a Disney spokesperson.

The decision comes at a time when the company is openly feuding with DeSantis, who is expected to officially enter the 2024 GOP presidential race next week

– Jackie Robinson
M
Legend
Legend
M
I expect some folks will be very critical of Disney for having the audacity to make business decisions based on the political climate in Florida - while they will laud DeSantis for using his political power to carry out a vendetta against a company that exercised their 1st amendment rights. No change here then.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I call it like I SEE it.

Yep. When your talking points and ideas are as stale as week old bread, just steal or parrot my lines to make a zinger. SMH, plagiarizing GOPers. Original thought a new concept to you? I bet you miss Tuckers walking talking instructions every night, huh? Your like a factory of sadness sad bro. Sorry you placed your faith in the party of homegrown terrorists and coups. But it is what it is and now, here’s your crow.

You can ask Vers and arch what coming at me will get ya. You’ve now been informed.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/18/23 06:52 PM.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus DeSantis Attack On disney Continues

Link Copied to Clipboard