OP Offline
Dawg Talker
The 2023 Atlantic Hurricane Predictions
CNN Editorial Research
Published 5:27 PM EDT, Wed April 19, 2023

2023 hurricane season predictions
02:20 - Source: CNN
CNN

Here is a look at the 2023 Atlantic hurricane season.

Past coverage of the 2022 and 2021 hurricane season and the latest weather news can also be found on CNN.

Follow the storm tracker for the path and forecasts of the latest storm.

The 2023 Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1 to November 30. The areas covered include the Atlantic Ocean, Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea.

The National Weather Service defines a hurricane as a “tropical cyclone with maximum sustained winds of 74 mph (64 knots) or higher.”

Hurricanes are rated according to intensity of sustained winds on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale. The 1-5 scale estimates potential property damage.

A Category 3 or higher is considered a major hurricane.

The National Hurricane Center advises preparedness:

A hurricane watch indicates the possibility that a region could experience hurricane conditions within 48 hours.
A hurricane warning indicates that sustained winds of at least 74 mph are expected within 36 hours.

Predictions
April 13, 2023 - The Colorado State University Tropical Meteorology Project team predicts a “slightly below-normal” Atlantic hurricane season. The team forecasts 13 named storms, including six hurricanes, two of which will be major hurricanes.

2023 Atlantic Storm Names
Arlene
Bret
Cindy
Don
Emily
Franklin
Gert
Harold
Idalia
Jose
Katia
Lee
Margot
Nigel
Ophelia
Philippe
Rina
Sean
Ta

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Legend
Legend
I’ve always been fascinated with hurricanes and tornadoes. Not that I want them to happen. They’re just intriguing to study.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
National Hurricane Center monitors "disturbance" in the Atlantic as hurricane season looms
BY ALIZA CHASAN

MAY 21, 2023 / 2:38 PM / CBS NEWS

The National Hurricane Center began monitoring a large area of disturbed weather in the Atlantic on Sunday.

The disturbance extends a couple hundreds miles northeast of the Bahamas, according to NHC forecasters. It's expected to move generally north-northeastward over the southwestern Atlantic at 5 to 10 mph during the next couple of days.

The disturbance, which began a little more than a week before the start of Atlantic hurricane season, has just a 10% chance of becoming a formation in the next 48 hours, NHC experts said Sunday morning. Hurricane season runs from June 1 through Nov. 30.

In 2022, Agatha became the first hurricane of the season. It formed in late May, shortly before the official start of hurricane season.

The strength of the upcoming Atlantic hurricane season will depend on El Niño, a recurring climate pattern, experts from Colorado State University said in a report released in April. Researchers predicted in the report that there 13 named storms in the Atlantic region, including six hurricanes, two of which would be major, in the upcoming season.

The number of tropical storms and hurricanes could vary depending on how strong El Niño is, according to the Colorado State University report. Above-average temperatures in the Atlantic Ocean could also mean that "the potential still exists for a busy Atlantic hurricane season."

Aliza Chasan
Aliza Chasan is a digital producer at 60 Minutes and CBS News.

First published on May 21, 2023 / 2:38 PM

© 2023 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
When I was a kid I wanted to be a meteorologist. My parents talked me out of it. I've regretted it ever since.

Legend
Legend
They’ll start to ramp up within the next few weeks. We’d always vacation in July in the OBX and always worried about it

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... 2023 Atlantic Hurricane Season Fast Facts

Link Copied to Clipboard