Pdawg Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Bummer.

I was hoping to get him out of the North.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Can't wait to see the contract details

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Got her done before the Draft. I'm sure there was a line in that.

[Linked Image]

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg
Got her done before the Draft. I'm sure there was a line in that.

Not saying this is the case, but it would be funny if it was a sign and trade type thing. For example Texans give up picks to Baltimore and just get the guy they wanted.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Kinda figured it was going to happen at some point.

Lots of good QBs in the AFC again. Wow.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by bonefish
Bummer.

I was hoping to get him out of the North.

Injury Prone like OBJ ... Go Get them Myles flamingmad

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
2 of the highest paid QBs now in the AFC North.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Bengals and Chargers up next! ... I figured that the qauranteed $ would be 180M minimum based on being a first round pick.

He got a good deal imo.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Nice contract, I approve.

Lamar in the North means more parity within the division. It would be nice if he'd suit up and beat the Bengals once and awhile, he's only played 1.5 of the last 5 games (team 1-4). Looks like another few years of fist-fights for the division... if he holds up.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
70% guarantied money. That's going to be the new minimum standard for franchise QBs. Hurts has the injury rider that puts him in the same place (255 / 179). Burrow will probably push closer to 80%.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Well, that sucks.

The AFC is loaded w/QBs. I was making a new Top QB list while I was suspended and other than Hurst, all of the top guys are in the AFC. It's going to be a rough road for us.

Pdawg Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Glad you are back for the draft. We don’t always agree but you have great insights

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Can't wait until he starts overthrowing Odell and the pouting starts

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Lamar should send Jimmy Haslam a big thanks or at least take Jimmy and DEE out for a nice dinner!!!!

Legend
Legend
Lamar is a terrific player. No matter what when you face him. It is not going to be easy.

He has proved me wrong again and again. So, I don't question his talent. He is not the best passer but his overall game is dynamic.

He presents big problems for defenses.

The AFC is now a juggernaut of quarterback talent.

Mahomes, Burrows, Allen, Herbert, Rodger, Lawrence, Lamar, DW. Then there is still Tua, Matt Jones, Pickett, Tannehill.

Tough sledding

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
Lamar should send Jimmy Haslam a big thanks or at least take Jimmy and DEE out for a nice dinner!!!!

It's funny to think back to when Browns and Ravens seemed to be playing 'chicken' with the QB contracts... before the Browns said "hold my beer". Lamar could easily be in year three of a 5/150 extension if the Raven's would have been more proactive early. I think I would rather be there, than where they are now, if I were them. I'll know for sure if he gets injured again this year.

Legend
Legend
If the Browns would not have traded to get DW.

We would be facing seasons with no chance to go anywhere. If you don't have a guy to compete at that level. You are not winning playoff games.

I don't how we will do. But we will have a chance.

1 member likes this: Homewood Dog
V
Legend
Legend
V

I might not be right about this, but I think the Jalen Hurts deal was the biggest influencer on Lamar's contract.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
If that's the case, it would be only right for Lamar to invite Jalen to the dinner also!!! Welcome back Vers!

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 04/27/23 07:40 PM.
Legend
Legend
I was actually thinking maybe Lamar and Jalen should split the bill.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
That would be a gentlemanly thing to do!!!! I'm sure they can afford it!! smile

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 04/27/23 07:44 PM.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Lamar is a terrific player. No matter what when you face him. It is not going to be easy.

He has proved me wrong again and again. So, I don't question his talent. He is not the best passer but his overall game is dynamic.

He presents big problems for defenses.

The AFC is now a juggernaut of quarterback talent.

Mahomes, Burrows, Allen, Herbert, Rodger, Lawrence, Lamar, DW. Then there is still Tua, Matt Jones, Pickett, Tannehill.

Tough sledding

Considering PFF Grades for last season and the AFC North teams all set at the QB position now, the Browns have the 4th rated QB in the division right now based on last years on the field production - (Burrow 92.0, Jackson 85.2, Pickett 75.5 and Watson 55.3).

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Speaking of contracts, anyone hear that when Jalen Hurts was restructured, this year's salary is only $1,000,000? Can we assume he is set to get a lengthy suspension from the league. That has to be the only reason that year one of his deal would be for so little.

1 member likes this: FrankZ
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN
Speaking of contracts, anyone hear that when Jalen Hurts was restructured, this year's salary is only $1,000,000? Can we assume he is set to get a lengthy suspension from the league. That has to be the only reason that year one of his deal would be for so little.

I think that's because of their cap situation, they were really stretched thin for cap space...and why they had to part with some talent leaving (like Gardner-Johnson whom they traded away a draft pick for) and retaining Slay took most of their cap. But I could be wrong

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog

I might not be right about this, but I think the Jalen Hurts deal was the biggest influencer on Lamar's contract.

Indeed, the contracts have been getting bigger because of DW, so after Hurts signed one bigger, BAL knew they had to do it asap or it was just going to get worse as new QB contracts start coming out

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by tru_dawgs
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN

I think that's because of their cap situation, they were really stretched thin for cap space...and why they had to part with some talent leaving (like Gardner-Johnson whom they traded away a draft pick for) and retaining Slay took most of their cap. But I could be wrong

I was being sarcastic. The Browns were accused of making Watson's first year salary at $1,000,000 so he would have less of a fine when suspended. Apparently, critics did not buy the cap strategy which was the real reason.

Legend
Legend
If you thought it wasn't going to turn out this way, raise your hand...... smile

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Frankly, last seasons numbers don't mean much to me.

Burrow is a very good quarterback and so is Lamar.

Pickett was a rookie. He was ok. How much he will improve remains to be seen.

DW PFF grade last season IMO is irrelevant. Six games after a almost two year absence means little especially in light of all the circumstances.

The PFF grades from last season will mean very little this year. Each season stands alone.

B
Legend
Legend
B

DW PFF grade last season IMO is irrelevant. Six games after a almost two year absence means little especially in light of all the circumstances.

The PFF grades from last season will mean very little this year. Each season stands alone.

You have to remember that Steve walks around with a hatchet in his hand for the Browns.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: CapCity Dawg
Legend
Legend
By now we all understand.

If there is a way to shine a light on a negative. We know how it will show up.

The North will be war. I don't have a good feel for Pickett yet. I respect Tomlin. I know the Steelers will play hard and play well.
Pickett seems savvy. He throws accurately. It remains to be seen how he will perform over time.

Burrow has established himself. I rate him highly. However, I do not over rate him. It is not like he can not be beaten. We have played him well.

Lamar is always a handful. We know plenty about him.

For those who wish to judge DW on six games from last year. IMO they are mistaken. DW has played 59 games in his NFL career. There is a valid sample size to look at and judge him.

Watson ranked third among quarterbacks with a 92.5 overall PFF grade in 2020, only trailing Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady.

That was his last full season and in stride with his career.

So, showing a PFF grade for six games with all that was surrounding those games. Highlighting a negative when the sample size is incomplete.

1 member likes this: FORTBROWNFAN
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog

I agree, Kevin Cole talked through this on his pod cast "unexpected points" last week.
He surmised that the difference between Hurts (a secound round pick) and Lamar (a former first round pick) was about 70M in guaranteed $$$ which came to 180M ... Lamar gets 185M qauranteed ... so it looks as if the Ravens were able to use the Hurts contract to come to an equitable offer.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 04/28/23 11:25 AM. Reason: Addition

[Linked Image]

P
Legend
Legend
P
And still no other team has been foolish enough to give a QB a fully guaranteed contract.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
There are numerous ways to look at NFL contracts.

The NFL owners don't want guaranteed contracts. The players do want them.

It depends upon how you want to look at it. Greed is one way.

Foolish? I don't think so. The Browns decided rightfully so that BM was not going to be the guy to lead a team to the Super Bowl. Since he left other teams have formed that same opinion.

Initially the Browns were thought out of the DW deal. More than likely the guaranteed contract closed the deal. In any event DW signed with the Browns.

Since then the contract has been restructured to gain cap space. Perhaps the contract gives the Browns more ways negotiate over the five years.

Perhaps it also brings the Browns organization and DW into a different kind of relationship moving forward and will help after the end of five years.

The NFL is now a league of "haves" and "have nots" when it comes to competing at the highest level. That is why teams gave up huge draft capital to get Russell Wilson and Trey Lance.

The Browns have their guy who has proven himself in the NFL. Trey Lance has not. Wilson is on the backside of his career. Rodgers is 39.

DW is 27. He is mobile. He can make every throw on the field. His career numbers in the NFL are there to be judged.

The Browns did what they had to do in order to compete at the highest level. I do not think it was foolish.

Foolish would have been rolling with BM and thinking that was the answer. What the Browns did was give themselves a chance to win now and going forward.

P
Legend
Legend
P
If one is trying to use the excuse that the current QB a team has is an excuse to give another QB a fully guaranteed contract that is unprecedented I guess that works for you. I don't think baker was a QB who could have taken the Browns to a SB. So on that we very much agree. Even though others will tell lies to the contrary.

Th problem seems to be that every other team in the NFL who has fixed, managed or addressed their QB issue has never went to the lengths the Browns did in order to do so. And I understand the entire "DW is only 27" argument. But he didn't sign a lifetime contract. And the previous contract he signed, which was in Houston, he refused to even honor.

Nobody had to "roll with baker" to address the QB position. I doubt many people at all thought continuing with baker was the answer. But I'm pretty sure a lot more people thought this crazy guaranteed contract wasn't a reasonable solution.

Like I said, no other team had done this before and no team has done that since. I think that speaks much louder than all the reasons people can come up with to rationalize that the Browns did.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Bone, I couldn't agree with you more. Your opinion is spot on. I do agree with most of what you say on these boards. Keep it coming. You're one of the most articulate and levelheaded fans on this board.

1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
Thanks HD.

Unprecedented is what it took to get DW. It is not an excuse because BM was qb. It was an opportunity to get a top talent.

Have or have not.

Close the deal. Make it happen to compete. BM was at that point out of the picture.

Honestly, so what if it is guaranteed? If you signed him for five years then you should pay him for five years. I do think they needed a contingency to back out of the deal. They decided they want him for that time and intend to pay him.

I mean a contract is an agreement to pay.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

You have to remember that Steve walks around with a hatchet in his hand for the Browns.

Not to be picking on an individual person but running around waving the "we are great flag" every year without looking critically at the team and roster doesn't make you an avid Browns fan - a blind one maybe but no more an avid fan than I am who looks at the weaknesses within the team equally as much as the positives.

I don't make up the numbers created by the on the field performance. Though it's true that Watson hadn't played a meaningful game in almost 2-years, as an established veteran - he was outperformed by a rookie last year in the AFC North by Pickett. As far as what Watson did 2-years ago, Russell Wilson was a top 6 QB in 2020 too and has tailed off dramatically the last 2 seasons being 32 and 33 at the start of those seasons. Nothing is a given with the continual changes in personnel, coaches, and team atmosphere not to mention injuries and under performers.

Now, I expect Watson will improve, how much improvement is the question. I also expect that the Bengals, Ravens, and Steelers will improve too. That said, the Browns were the cellar dweller in the AFC North last year and coming off 2 consecutive losing seasons. The climb is steeper and the questions greater going into a must win season for the Browns. That doesn't make me anti Cleveland, it makes me a realist.

So, yes, I'm sometimes critical of the Browns because they have not shown they are contenders on the field though I don't carry a "hatchet" as you claim but I sure as heck don't and won't wave the "Browns are great flag" until they prove it on the field. That is the main reason I haven't been participating in all the FA and trade hoopla going on in this forum. I've seen this rerun for the last 20 years and the results are always the same.

The fair-minded fan would of course be highly disappointed in Watson's performance last year even with have missing almost 2 years. A 55.3 PFF grade for a top 5 QB after missing some time is worrisome. Burrow and Mahomes led the NFL in 2022 with PFF grades of 92.0 and Mahomes was 1st and Burrow 3rd in the NFL QB Index with Watson at 28th and at the bottom of all AFC North starters. So, excuse me if I'm a little skeptical of Watson returning to top 5 form.

So, do I believe the Browns will be an improved team next year - YES I DO! However, I know the Bengals, Ravens, and Steelers will be improved too. Have the Browns improved enough to overtake those teams in the division - I'll believe it when I see it.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Lamar agrees to contract

Link Copied to Clipboard