Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I'll repeat what I've said before. I liked BM and After 2020 thought we could win with him. I was wrong and that's OK. We needed to do something to get us to the next level and we did or, at least tried to, by trading for DW. He came with baggage I didn't like but it's behind us now. Jimmy Haslam wants a winner here and his actions show that. I give him credit. We probably have more talent on this team since the mid-80's. That's great but it comes at a time when our division and the whole AFC is really good. It will be very difficult to get to our 1st Super Bowl with the AFC as it is. AS far as what we had to pay DW it's being talked about less and less with the latest round of QB contracts. After Burrows and Hebert's in LA, DW's contract won't even be mentioned much anymore.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 04/28/23 12:59 PM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I wish the Watson discussion regarding his contract and ability would be added to the existing thread about Watson. The discussion is important, but I think topics about Lamar and Rodgers should focus more on what those moves mean more to their teams and how they affect our chances at the playoffs. Wishful thinking....I know.

I thought there was a decent chance that Lamar and Baltimore would part ways. I was hoping he would go to the NFC. He's back and that is a problem for us. The Ravens also signed OBJ and drafted the dynamic Zay Flowers. All of a sudden, they look like a formidable offense. The AFC is already loaded w/great qbs and it's going to be tough for us to overcome all the obstacles.

Legend
Legend
"The fair-minded fan would of course be highly disappointed in Watson's performance last year even with have missing almost 2 years. A 55.3 PFF grade for a top 5 QB after missing some time is worrisome."

So, since you are fair minded then why do keep posting 55.3 PFF grade?

DW has played 59 NFL games. So, last season after 11 games were played with a different quarterback. DW after a tumultuous off season of not knowing his status plays the last six games. One with winds blowing whitecaps on the lake. And that is your indicator? That is when you compare him?

That sir, is not fair when there is 53 other games to look at. Games that were paced inside the normal stride of a season.

I will tell you another thing in regards to those six games. He improved. Even when he played poorly a educated eye could see the talent on some of the plays he did make. Yes, his stats were bad. But he flashed the talent that he has. I saw what i expected.

The North is a tough division. I respect every team. I know the division games will be hard fought. I predict nothing.

However, I expect DW to be the player he was in Houston. There are still some concerns about the team.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not sure I would call his game six performance an improvement over his game five performance. In fact I'm quite sure i wouldn't. He actually took quite a step back in that last game. In those six games he had 7td passes to 5 int's. Two of those int's coming in that sixth game.

Don't get me wrong, I get what you're saying and those six games don't predict the future. But let's also be at least a bit real here. Jacoby Brissett was considered nothing more than a career backup at this point. He led the exact same roster to being a top 10 rated offense. Yet a QB who was considered a top 5 QB in the league by many on this board didn't come close to that. And yes, you can say all you want about him not playing for so long and about him not being prepared all you like. And that's all true. But nobody, and I mean nobody would have predicted that Brissett could look better and accomplish more with the same roster in those first 11 games than watson would look in those last 6 games.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Jacoby was a better player than most expected him to be.

He deserves the credit on his own.

DW play IMO was not a matter of stats. It was more of just watching him play.

The first game he was uncomfortable in general. You could see he was not use to the speed of the game. His movements were exaggerated. He was not the fluid guy I had seen in the past.

I don't care what his stats were. But I could see as each game was played he started to gain composure. He would make some good throws. On some plays you could see "that is the guy I saw before." It was inconsistent. I think if we were realistic. We would have expected just about what we saw.

This year is a completely different story. He knows he will start the season. He will get the reps. He will have the time to develop chemistry with the team. The offense will be built with him. Built to take advantage of his skills. Plays developed that he should have comfort in.

I can not speak for the whole team because the roster is not final. I still have some concerns. However, I fully expect DW to be the QB he was in Houston or better. I expect the offense to have good numbers.

Defense? We should better with the addition of Jim Schwartz.

2nd String
2nd String
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I'm not sure I would call his game six performance an improvement over his game five performance. In fact I'm quite sure i wouldn't. He actually took quite a step back in that last game. In those six games he had 7td passes to 5 int's. Two of those int's coming in that sixth game.

Don't get me wrong, I get what you're saying and those six games don't predict the future. But let's also be at least a bit real here. Jacoby Brissett was considered nothing more than a career backup at this point. He led the exact same roster to being a top 10 rated offense. Yet a QB who was considered a top 5 QB in the league by many on this board didn't come close to that. And yes, you can say all you want about him not playing for so long and about him not being prepared all you like. And that's all true. But nobody, and I mean nobody would have predicted that Brissett could look better and accomplish more with the same roster in those first 11 games than watson would look in those last 6 games.
I can’t take your criticism seriously after reading your signature. Obviously you are a Browns basher simply because of DW. Why are you even here? And yes I absolutely expected Jacoby to have one of the best seasons of his career here knowing that this was the best roster he had ever played with, plus he had a coach that was good at hiding QBs weaknesses. Then of course there’s always Chubb.

Who let the Dawgs out???
1 member likes this: PastorMarc
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by bonefish
"The fair-minded fan would of course be highly disappointed in Watson's performance last year even with have missing almost 2 years. A 55.3 PFF grade for a top 5 QB after missing some time is worrisome."

So, since you are fair minded then why do keep posting 55.3 PFF grade?

DW has played 59 NFL games. So, last season after 11 games were played with a different quarterback. DW after a tumultuous off season of not knowing his status plays the last six games. One with winds blowing whitecaps on the lake. And that is your indicator? That is when you compare him?

That sir, is not fair when there is 53 other games to look at. Games that were paced inside the normal stride of a season.

I will tell you another thing in regards to those six games. He improved. Even when he played poorly a educated eye could see the talent on some of the plays he did make. Yes, his stats were bad. But he flashed the talent that he has. I saw what i expected.

The North is a tough division. I respect every team. I know the division games will be hard fought. I predict nothing.

However, I expect DW to be the player he was in Houston. There are still some concerns about the team.

I think that if you are going to continually beat the drum about the stats Watson posted 2 years ago, then it's perfectly fair to post his current level of production. I mean really, we had a former player here that took the Browns to the playoffs 2 years ago but received no such leniency even 1 year later while playing injured. If there hasn't been 10, there's been a thousand posts about how poor Russell Wilson played last year with no reference to his performance 2 years ago when he was a top 6 QB in the league. Heck, there's even been posts on this forum about how a certain future Hall of Fame QB that has won 4 league MVP's not being that good and overrated because he's only been to 1 Super Bowl. Can you see the trend here?

I admire the fact that you are admitting that there are still concerns about the team. That's all I have been trying to say in the first place.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
Legend
Continually beat the drum?

He played in 53 games. It is a much different sample size than six.

Russell Wilson and his production is not relevant to DW. Wilson's play has been going down. He was traded. He is 34.

He was not suspended 11 games. Wilson went to Denver as the known starter with a full off season to prepare.

DW has to be looked at alone. Rodgers is a first ballot HOF player. Period. Mahomes and Rodgers stand alone as quarterbacks.

The rest that are considered as top guys are not any more talented than DW. That includes Burrow, Allen, Herbert, Lamar or any other guy.

When the 2023 season comes to an end if DW does not perform at a high level. I will jump to the front of the line and say I was dead wrong. I have no problem admitting to being wrong.

I was a BM fan. I wanted him to succeed badly. I thanked him for what he accomplished in Cleveland. I cherished the 2020 season and BM performance.
However, it also became clear to me that he was not the guy to take the Browns further.

DW still has a long way to go to prove his character has a person to me. I will give him that chance.

As a football player IMO he is a stud. I applaud Haslam, AB and the Browns for taking the risk on DW. I have no problem with his contract at all.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Nice post and I respect your opinion. That is one of the great things about the game - everyone has a differing opinion on a player, team and/or game. Though we may have differing opinions, the thought process for both of us the ultimate success of the team we support. This forum is a lot more pleasant when individuals present their opinions for discussion rather than the personal attacks that so often seem to be plastered on this forum. Thanks for the respectful back and forth.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
2 members like this: bonefish, Jester
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't care if you take me seriously or not. I can't stand watson the person and I make no bones about that. I'm not alone on this board about that. But that doesn't change anything else. In that sixth game he looked terrible. He took a big step back. Nothing about that sixth game stretch did anything to give anyone confidence watson will be what he used to be. Nothing. I also made it quite clear that doesn't mean he won't get back to his prior form. The book on that is still unwritten.

Do you even bother reading the board or did you just decide to make a rant based on a single post? I have supported Stefanski staying. I liked the Browns pick of Tillman the WR. I have consistently supported Myles when posters questioned him. I could go on but since you obviously haven't been paying attention I'm not going to waste my time trying to further explain it to you. The book an how watson will perform moving forward is an unknown. As much as people claim differently that's just a fact. I've never predicted he will fail nor am I doing that now.

What I have and am doing is trying to call people on the myth that his six games stretch here last season was some sign he will do great here. because it most certainly wasn't. But rather than take on that discussion like an adult would you have decided it better to attack the messenger. While that's pretty lame there's nothing new about it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by bonefish
If the Browns would not have traded to get DW.

We would be facing seasons with no chance to go anywhere. If you don't have a guy to compete at that level. You are not winning playoff games.

I don't how we will do. But we will have a chance.

Yeah, good thing Baker never beat the Bengals, Steelers, or Ravens… SMH. I sure hope DW pans out, or we’ll be decades recovering.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Lamar agrees to contract

Link Copied to Clipboard