Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Berry surprisingly went outside their guardrails. Tillman is already 23 years old.

By 9 days!

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It's not like our WR room is loaded, we have Cooper, Moore who is still a bit of an unknown, DPJ, a well traveled Marquise Goodwin and a bunch of unknowns.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
2 members like this: vadawgfan07, lampdogg
T
Legend
Legend
T
DPJ was not that top of an athlete, now, I like him, DPJ, but,
I think you have a potential upgrade and if you continue to upgrade eventually some become tradeable.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Seems like he will be a replacement for either DPJ or Cooper in an ideal world.

You wonder if we wanted Hyatt

I was hoping for Hyatt... but this kid is pretty good too... watched a couple of the UT games this year and liked this guy's size...

<><

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Berry surprisingly went outside their guardrails. Tillman is already 23 years old.

By 9 days!

10 after tomorrow! poke

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I can't speak for others, but I believe there's more pressing needs...especially that front 7 that was gashed weekly last year....In fact, our LB core is essentially the same as last year. And nearly all of us were saying that front 4 needs drastic changes, and nearly everyone was in agreement that LB core needs totally retooled. With more dire needs at DT, DE, LB, 3rd safety, OT, Nickel, RB...To be fair the DT class has been picked over in regards to positioning thus far. Hopefully there's a lot of D help, and it would have been ideal at #74 IMO, as Tillman is slotted to play behind the likes of Amari, DPJ, Moore, Goodwin, Grant, perhaps Bell....that's essentially a bench role, for as of now. I'm sure they have larger plans in 2024....When Amari's cap situation, they may let DPJ walk in FA, Goodwin and Grant will probably be gone as well.

L
Legend
Legend
L
We weren’t going to pick any player in the third round that would blow everyone away, I like the pick after reading about him.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by tru_dawgs
I can't speak for others, but I believe there's more pressing needs...especially that front 7 that was gashed weekly last year....In fact, our LB core is essentially the same as last year. And nearly all of us were saying that front 4 needs drastic changes, and nearly everyone was in agreement that LB core needs totally retooled. With more dire needs at DT, DE, LB, 3rd safety, OT, Nickel, RB...To be fair the DT class has been picked over in regards to positioning thus far. Hopefully there's a lot of D help, and it would have been ideal at #74 IMO, as Tillman is slotted to play behind the likes of Amari, DPJ, Moore, Goodwin, Grant, perhaps Bell....that's essentially a bench role, for as of now. I'm sure they have larger plans in 2024....When Amari's cap situation, they may let DPJ walk in FA, Goodwin and Grant will probably be gone as well.

You aren't wrong that we have a ton of holes still. Need lots of pieces. Sure would be nice if we actually had draft picks to address them. Alas we don't. And every time I bring it up (cough cough giving UP picks for Moore) I get booed off the thread. Well here ya go.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Browns suddenly can’t get enough receivers, check out their first pick in 2023 – Terry Pluto
Updated: Apr. 28, 2023, 10:35 p.m.|Published: Apr. 28, 2023, 10:27 p.m.

By Terry Pluto, cleveland.com
BEREA, Ohio – The Browns traded for receiver Elijah Moore and signed veteran Marquise Goodwin to add some speed and zip to the offense.

When the Browns finally drafted Friday night, they took Tennessee’s Cedric Tillman with the 74th selection.

Tillman was picked in the third round, where only about 15% of all selections end up being NFL starters. About 40% become role players.

That’s why the Browns were willing to draft a player coming off an injury – who had been projected as a higher pick at the start of the 2022 season.

In 2021, Tillman caught 12 TD passes. He averaged 16.9 yards per catch. That’s the player the Browns are projecting in the NFL.

Last season, Tillman played only six games (37 catches, 11.3-yard average) before he suffered a season-ending ankle injury that required surgery. The Browns are confident he’ll be healthy.

The Browns didn’t simply draft for a position. They believe in Tillman because of his size (6-foot-3, 213 pounds) and his ability to be a big target in the red zone.

“He plays a brand of football we’re tying to play,” said Browns Assistant GM Glenn Cook. “He’s a big, physical young man. It jumps out on film – the size and way he makes plays on defenders downfield.”

Here’s what Pro Football Focus wrote about Tillman: “Although an ankle injury has hampered his senior season, Cedric Tillman is back on the field and ready to show why he belongs in the top 50. A big, physical target at 6-foot-3 and 215 pounds, he won’t be bullied off his route and shows smooth body control in and out of his breaks. His catch radius and athleticism are why he could be the first senior receiver drafted.”

Tillman spent five years at Tennessee. He is 23 years old. The Browns often draft younger players. That means they really like Tillman.

Let’s look at the key Cleveland receivers: Amari Cooper, Donovan Peoples-Jones, David Bell, Anthony Schwartz, Goodwin and Moore.

They are loading up for Deshaun Watson, and also giving coach Kevin Stefanski more options to add some sizzle to the offense.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...heir-first-pick-in-2023-terry-pluto.html

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Jester
Let’s look at the key Cleveland receivers: Amari Cooper, Donovan Peoples-Jones, David Bell, Anthony Schwartz, Goodwin and Moore.

They are loading up for Deshaun Watson, and also giving coach Kevin Stefanski more options to add some sizzle to the offense.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...heir-first-pick-in-2023-terry-pluto.html

Let's be honest, the WR room is Cooper, DPJ, Tillman, Bell, Moore, Grant and Goodwin now. I'd say Schwartz will be bagging groceries, but he'd probably drop them and run away from the shopping carts.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
T
Legend
Legend
T
It's Cooper,
Moore,
and then this guy has a chance at 3 on the depth,
but he hasn't taken an NFL snap yet,
and DPJ knows a few things.

Bell may end up a good number 4, ...
and Woods, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a future trade getting a return for one of these leaving,
especially with Goodwyn around.
and Schwartz.
And Jakeem Grant too.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c,

I like what Tillman brings to our WR room ... I just thought that his age might be an obstacle ... I like him more than Hyatt who is more of a one trick pony.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
pressure is on stefanski to create opportunities.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg
j/c,

I like what Tillman brings to our WR room ... I just thought that his age might be an obstacle ... I like him more than Hyatt who is more of a one trick pony.

I think we still think about age, but the Covid year added a year to a lot of players college years.

Bottom line is we got a good receiver who if not for an injury his sr. year was on track to be a 1st round selection.

Moaners gonna moan.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 04/29/23 02:49 AM.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: vadawgfan07
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Not sure when 23 has ever been a bad age, I know I would like 23 again. This young man reminds me a lot of Allen Robinson coming out of Penn St. very similar size and skill set. I remember watching him 2 years ago when nobody heard of Jaylin Hyatt, he was the #1 for a very good reason. He is the son of a former NFL receiver and it shows the way he wins and runs routes. Good pick, GO Browns

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
looking at the tea leaves, he’s the replacement for DPJ and/or cooper. We aren’t going to pay one or both of them another contract.

Let’s hope he develops into an NFL WR. He’s not a separating type WR and has no speed.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I think it funny that YAC is an issue w/ him.
YAC suffers when you catch it and are already in the end zone.
Also when you snag balls barely in bounds, or are twisted up like a pretzel to make a catch out of a badly thrown ball or are in thick traffic as your QB watches only you the whole play.
In the films I've seen his YAC appears to be fine, not outstanding but this is the third round, when he has an opportunity to actually use his skills.
The Man catches about anything thrown near him and isn't afraid to go head to head w/ defenders.

I would have gone D but hey maybe that's why I'm here at home not in the 'War Room'.

3 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, Versatile Dog, Ballpeen
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Rottweiller
Not sure when 23 has ever been a bad age, I know I would like 23 again. This young man reminds me a lot of Allen Robinson coming out of Penn St. very similar size and skill set. I remember watching him 2 years ago when nobody heard of Jaylin Hyatt, he was the #1 for a very good reason. He is the son of a former NFL receiver and it shows the way he wins and runs routes. Good pick, GO Browns

I agree. I was going to mention that Hyatt was the 2nd receiver for the Vols. Tillman was the #1. Living in Tennessee, I get all the news and it was all doom and gloom when Tillman was injured. Before Tillman was injured, he was widely mentioned as a 1st rounder. Maybe he would have, maybe he wouldn't, but he wouldn't have lasted to our pick so people should be very pumped about this pick.

Many Browns are so fickle it is funny. For the longest time it was all about our pitiful receivers. Now we didn't need one. LOL

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: Hammer
M
Legend
Legend
M
I would have gone in a different direction because I see bigger holes and needs on D - but everything I see and read about this pick is very positive. I expect I'll like the player if he's anything close to as advertised - even if I don't like an extra WR here. Not sure which Browns have been talking about our pitiful WR - for the longest time they were supposed to be a strength that was being held back, I see Cooper, Moore & DPJ as a better trio than any others we've had in the last few years.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M
J/C:

The WR corp has changed dramatically in the past couple of months w/ Moore, Tillman, and Goodwin added. Although, I don't consider Goodwin a lock to make this team. It's next to nothing to cut him and he is 32.

Anyways, I'm intrigued by Tillman. I like his size and his instinct to go after the ball....I used the phrase "active pass catcher" in a DM earlier in the sense he is not afraid to go fight to get the ball rather than letting the ball come to him. I think he controls his body well. I think he is deceptively fast considering his size and can get some good separation.

I don't get all this talk about "need" or we shouldn't have picked a WR considering what we did in FA. This is EXACTLY what you want a FO to do when it comes to drafting players. Get a player you have graded commensurate with your pick. The grading process could be wrong (that's another issue) but don't draft a guy you have graded behind other guys just because it a overall position group weakness. At the time Tillman was selected, I'm not sure any D-Line player (specifically interior D-Line) was all that coveted at 74. Hell, people are saying Apu was a reach where we took him.

Tackles are tackles.
3 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, Hammer, Versatile Dog
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He reminded me of Michael Thomas when I was watching Tennessee's 2021 games. If his ankle injury doesn't linger, he could work out pretty well.

You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Sticking to your board is important. Not reaching for players based on need is important. There's a vertical and horizontal board - and all we got to do is hope we got it right. I've seen a few posters talk about Moore being an outside WR who has played there much more than the slot (although Berry/KS may have designs to move him to the Y), DPJ is an outside guy and Tillman looks to be a similar type WR. With picks like Schwartz and Bryant - I think Berry stuck to his board but got it wrong, or the guys have not worked out the way everyone hoped. As for other picks - there were viable LB worth a shot at #74. Daiyan Henley would have been a guy I would have been interested in.

But with all that said - I hope Tillman is the steal of the draft and becomes a star for the Browns.... And it's draft time people are going to love/hate and everything in between each of the Browns picks.

Last edited by mgh888; 04/29/23 08:25 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Fiercely Independent.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Steve Smith on Cedric Tillman.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/zCxoib9ng2Y

1 member likes this: FL_Dawg
V
Legend
Legend
V
I like this pick. He makes contested catches and isn't bullied by press coverage. I don't think he will ever be a star, but I think he could be a dependable WR that makes tough catches for first downs and touchdowns.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I like this pick. He makes contested catches and isn't bullied by press coverage. I don't think he will ever be a star, but I think he could be a dependable WR that makes tough catches for first downs and touchdowns.

Not sure, but I don't think it is permitted to have a positive opinion on this, or any Berry pick.

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL...........I hear you, brother. It's depressing reading the constant negativity on this board. Hell, I think most of us don't know much about Tillman, but some are acting like Berry was stupid for making the pick. I've never even see Ika play and I bet most haven't, but they know he sucks.

1 member likes this: FORTBROWNFAN
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by PastorMarc
Most of (not all) of you posters are all over are rivals picks as great or fantastic, but we make one pick and it a disaster ... amazing superconfused GO BROWNS

Our "rivals" had first and second round picks. That means much higher rated players. There's nothing there to be confused about.

As far as the Tillman pick I like it. While some of the Browns WR's aren't little guys, they haven't shown what I see in Tillman. While he's not an overly physical type WR, he seems to do quite well in tight window, contested balls. He was plagued with injuries in 2022 but his 2021 tape is amazing and the QB play at Tennessee wasn't nearly as good in 2021 as it was in 2022. If he can put on a little weight he can be much more physical.

He and Hyatt are very different WR's. It seems as though the Browns wanted the type of WR Tillman is to fill out a role they see as missing.

Maybe the Browns began to learn their lesson from Schwartz. Speed doesn't mean squat if you can't catch the ball. This kid can catch the ball.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
LOL...........I hear you, brother. It's depressing reading the constant negativity on this board. Hell, I think most of us don't know much about Tillman, but some are acting like Berry was stupid for making the pick. I've never even see Ika play and I bet most haven't, but they know he sucks.

Ika wouldn't have been my pick, but he does have some heavy hands. I'd like him better if our track record of developing DTs was better. If he can play with more consistent leg drive and leverage, he could be a good one. Moves well for his size. Not sure I've seen someone like him use a pretty fluid spin move on the interior before. Here's hoping Schwartz is the DL guru he's made out to be.

Fiercely Independent.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. I noticed right after the Hyatt pick was announced we didn't waste anytime drafting Tillman. I think he was our choice right along.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I agree I believe Tillman was the pick all along. Tillman was the Vols #1 WR last year but he just got the injured with the dreaded high ankle sprain. His play reminds me of a past Browns great in Reggie Langehorne. Tillman is actually bigger than Reggie. 6'3 215 lbs. That is very good size and he has plenty of production in his college career.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
J
Legend
Legend
J
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Many Browns are so fickle it is funny. For the longest time it was all about our pitiful receivers. Now we didn't need one. LOL

What is just as funny are the Browns fans who will not criticize the Browns no matter what they do. Some of those same fans bitched about the Browns and their players when they didn’t like the owner or certain players. Such hypocrisy when we are still waiting for results from this group. Some posters can’t tolerate any criticism of the team without belittling people who have issues or don’t agree with every move. It’s weird and every bit as annoying as people who disagree with everything the team does.

That said, I have no issues with this draft. I think they did very well given the lack of picks. I’ve been waiting for a WR like this for a long time. I’m really looking forward to this year. My biggest concern is the strength of our division and the AFC overall.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
V
Legend
Legend
V
So.........the Browns got Elijah Moore and Cedric Tillman for their 2nd round pick. Sounds like a very good move to me.

2 members like this: CapCity Dawg, FATE
Legend
Legend
Hahaha. Just realized that and was jumping back on here to type that same post. laugh thumbsup

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by JulesDawg

What is just as funny are the Browns fans who will not criticize the Browns no matter what they do. Some of those same fans bitched about the Browns and their players when they didn’t like the owner or certain players. Such hypocrisy when we are still waiting for results from this group. Some posters can’t tolerate any criticism of the team without belittling people who have issues or don’t agree with every move. It’s weird and every bit as annoying as people who disagree with everything the team does.

That said, I have no issues with this draft. I think they did very well given the lack of picks. I’ve been waiting for a WR like this for a long time. I’m really looking forward to this year. My biggest concern is the strength of our division and the AFC overall.

I agree. You can find it many places. This thread is about WR, so I commented on that.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
So.........the Browns got Elijah Moore and Cedric Tillman for their 2nd round pick. Sounds like a very good move to me.

Very good indeed.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I continue to love the Moore pick up. He’s a great athlete and dynamic. Tillman … ehh, not so much. Hope I’m wrong. But 1 out of 2 ain’t bad.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree. I was going to mention that Hyatt was the 2nd receiver for the Vols. Tillman was the #1. Living in Tennessee, I get all the news and it was all doom and gloom when Tillman was injured. Before Tillman was injured, he was widely mentioned as a 1st rounder. Maybe he would have, maybe he wouldn't, but he wouldn't have lasted to our pick so people should be very pumped about this pick.

This is something people who don't live in the area don't understand. Tillman was going into the 2022 season as the #1 WR for the Vols. If not for injuries he would have been. Anyone who questions his ability need only look at his 2021 stats. He brings a dimension to the WR room that was missing. That big, more physical presence that you can count on to get contested catches. The Browns seem to have learned a bit of a lesson from Schwartz. Playing the WR position isn't always about speed. Speed is something they have on the roster and you certainly need speed in your WR room. Getting a WR in the draft that is a reasonable facsimile of WR's you already have does nothing to increase variable WR skills. This was a great pick and huge value where they drafted him.

There is no such thing as the perfect FO. They all miss on draft picks. And the later in the draft a player is selected the higher the odds are you will miss on that selection. That's just how it is. But for me this pick shows they've learned from their mistakes and are improving. Overall I think they did a fine job with the picks they had. What more can anyone ask for?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: mgh888
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season NFL Draft 2023 Browns Select WR Cedric Tillman

Link Copied to Clipboard