Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
How much of an excuse is unprecedented height and weight for not getting low in a stance, in a 3 point stance?
Is it medically harmful for him to take proper posture pre snap and at the first instance after the snap?
He looked like he was playing high, playing high would negate the advantage his mass offers.
Good Luck. \0/ nanner

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Not an excuse. But possibly a perspective....guys like him at that size have never HAD to get that low to get the job done. Also, in Dawands case. He started football late due to being focused on basketball. So reps getting low or people yelling at him to get low may not have been as prevalent...LOL... Especially if he was manhandling the guy in front of him...

But you have a good point. And I actually agree with you wholeheartedly. That is what they need to have drilled into them. To be fair it is harder as a larger guy to get down there. That is why when we do see really big guys get low it is highlighted rather than treated as well that is what he is supposed to do... Let's hope coaching is the biggest reason and we can correct it...Let's hope that when he gets low that it is an epiphany and clicks...

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
He started at OSU as a LT, then moved to RG, then last season RT. Seems to be pretty versatile and can fill in anywhere on the line except C. Really like the pick.

Does this have any influence on picking up Wills 5th year option?

V
Legend
Legend
V
No, I don't believe he can play LT in the pros. There is a reason why we moved our RG to LT this year and Jones ended up at RT.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
No, I don't believe he can play LT in the pros. There is a reason why we moved our RG to LT this year and Jones ended up at RT.

I agree. Obviously I could be wrong, but he looks to be a RT all the way. I'd even say he might be a better DT than LT.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.

Some might say that, but I don't agree with that. Joe Thomas by any measure was a top 10 all-time as a LT. Had some idiot decided to play him as a RT, he would have been an "average Joe"...no pun intended.

Two different skills sets and two different mentalities required.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The fact that they are even considering not picking up a 3 year starting LT contract tells you a lot

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
JC...

Jones has the ceiling to be Orlando 'Zues" Brown, that comparable size and girth...But his floor is probably that of Nat Dorsey. I think Jones should probably be a max of 330-340 lbs on that frame, they def. need him to get on par with proper nutrition and conditioning.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
The fact that they are even considering not picking up a 3 year starting LT contract tells you a lot

Unless they are still trying to hammer out a long-term deal. Locking in the 5th year options pretty high amount would give Jed more leverage in negotiations.

Kaleb McGary just re-signed with ATL for 3 years at 11.5M AAV. Jed's option is over 14M. McGary's PFF is grade is well over 80. Jed's was low 60s.

I'd guess they're trying to save some money/pay Jed what they think his actual value is. Will probably pick up the option if they can't agree on something before the deadline. That's coming up 5/1 so we should find out soon. Maybe they won't pick it up in the hope that it motivates him.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
V
Legend
Legend
V
Intelligent take.

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Could James Hudson and Dawand Jones replace Wills and Conklin? I know Hudson got off to a bad start, but does he still have starter potential? The Browns should pay Bill Callahan whatever he wants.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I've been reading a lot about Dewand Jones mostly not good from people analyzing our draft. They're entitled to their opinion. IMO if he can't cut it at tackle he can always be moved to guard. It's not like he was a high pick he was a 4th rounder. These talking heads should cut us some slack. I think we had a better than decent draft considering what AB had to work with.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
[social:tweet]
[/social]

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by tru_dawgs
JC...

Jones has the ceiling to be Orlando 'Zues" Brown, that comparable size and girth...But his floor is probably that of Nat Dorsey. I think Jones should probably be a max of 330-340 lbs on that frame, they def. need him to get on par with proper nutrition and conditioning.

Jones is a better prospect coming into the League (6.32 compared to 6.20 grade) and a better athlete overall than Brown ... yet no one is considering him to possibly make the move to LT ... even though he has played there before (albeit a small sample size of 80 snaps) and Orlando Brown Jr. has been successful while playing LT.

And I agree that Jones needs to play around 340 lb to 350 maximum.

Parrish Johnson is a more nature fit at LT ... but if OSU wouldn't of had his services Jones could have been their LT the past two seasons.

[Linked Image]

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted by Milk Man
There is the Browns replacement for Wills Jr after his 5th year option expires.

The kid is a natural Right Tackle this pick has nothing to do with Wills Jr.
I know I'm an OL nut but he is a beast who can do one thing...PLAY FOOTBALL!!
I think we got the STEAL of the Draft!!!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Thanks tab.

I was waiting to hear your take on this guy. You are the OL wiseman.

Wills has had some problems but he came to the NFL as a very young guy who had to move from RT to LT.

We have Callahan. He developed Teller. I think he will get both players to reach their potential.

Glad to hear that you think Jones was a steal.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Good info tab. I think we know conklin isn’t long for the NFL

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season NFL Draft 2023 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones

Link Copied to Clipboard