#2013887 05/02/23 05:40 AM
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
I always liked his music. RIP Gordon.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/new...dies-at-84/ar-AA1aC5sg?OCID=ansmsnnews11

One that means a lot to some. Several of the sailors on the Fitz lived in the Cleveland area.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: TTTDawg
Legend
Legend
How sad. Yet again, it's like a part of me is now gone. His songs were staples in my teen years, and I still hum them in my head and play them on my guitar. Even the hard rock folks that I hung out with would listen to Gordon Lightfoot, and that's saying a lot given how we would bash other genres. He often gets overlooked when talking about 70's music, but he definitely had a significant role.

Some of the crew and the captain of the Fitz also lived in the Toledo area. I shared a story here a while back about one of the crew I met that went down on that ship.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
RIP Gordon.

Songs like "Sundown", "If you could read my mind", and "Carefree Highway", are among my favorites oif his.

That was the era of truly great songwriters.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Originally Posted by jfanent
How sad. Yet again, it's like a part of me is now gone. His songs were staples in my teen years, and I still hum them in my head and play them on my guitar. Even the hard rock folks that I hung out with would listen to Gordon Lightfoot, and that's saying a lot given how we would bash other genres. He often gets overlooked when talking about 70's music, but he definitely had a significant role.

Some of the crew and the captain of the Fitz also lived in the Toledo area. I shared a story here a while back about one of the crew I met that went down on that ship.

I know what you mean. John McCarthy, 1st mate was from my hometown in Bay Village. I can't say I knew the man, but it still brings it home. I did know a few McCarthy's in school. Maybe they were his kids or relatives? I don't know.

I worked the ore boats for a few summers while in college. I was on the Roger Blough. I saw the Fitz a time or two while unloading in Gary, Ind. Chilling to think that could happen, but the Great lakes are full of wrecks. Life of a sailor I suppose.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Sad. I have always thought that he was one of the best songwriters. He could weave a story into a melodious song. You could close your eyes and picture the story he was telling. I also liked his voice. Manly, strong, somewhat melancholy. The latter lended itself to his great storytelling.

Gone now, but did enough to live for eternity...

Legend
Legend
Great musician .. RIP

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Gord’s Gold is in my top ten albums that influenced me. My dad was a big fan. That album was the backing track to many long vacation drives to and from Florida as a kid.
In 2019 they released a documentary called If You Could Read My Mind. I’d always looked at photo of Gordon and listened to his music thinking he must of been a mellow soft spoken dude. Quite the contrary. He a was a bit of a hell raiser and had the party house for the who’s who of the LA music scene of the time. Joni Mitchell, Bob Dillan, James Taylor, amongst many others spent many nights whooping it up at his place.

His music is his legacy. He’ll live on in perpetuity.
RIP songbird.

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
P
Legend
Legend
P
I saw this earlier this morning. It is very sad. There just aren't enough good storytellers around these days. Maybe there are and it's just that the stories they tell aren't as relative to me. But he was a man whose stories always hit home and touched me. Painting pictures through words is a true gift and he was very gifted.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
“Sundown” is probably the first song I can remember hearing as a good. Dad would spin it on the record player in the house, and on the 8 track in the Baby Blue Ford Pinto Wagon.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
His best song in my opinion:

RIP

3 members like this: GratefulDawg, Ballpeen, PortlandDawg
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Sad. I have always thought that he was one of the best songwriters. He could weave a story into a melodious song. You could close your eyes and picture the story he was telling. I also liked his voice. Manly, strong, somewhat melancholy. The latter lended itself to his great storytelling.

Gone now, but did enough to live for eternity...

I remember you more than once posting your admiration for him.

I’ll throw in Early Morning Rain as a great Lightfoot song. Edmund Fitzgerald is the kind of song that will live forever; it is so haunting, the music reflective of the subject matter. He almost puts you on the ship to face the rough waters and the fate the Fitzgerald would ultimately meet.
that is the mark of a great storyteller.

A lot of people don’t know he was a Canadian, btw and while his career took a dip in the 80s and 90s, he later enjoyed a resurgence as people re-examined his catalogue.

RIP Mr. Lightfoot, I’ll raise a beer for you tonight.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
These are two of my favorites. This song is a part of my Christmas playlist.

This one is an example of a song that every Canadian folk singer/songwriter wishes they could write, but knows they likely never could.

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: lampdogg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Listening now. I believe it’s Gordon’s Gold.

I can’t help but think about my Dad when I listen to Edmund Fitzgerald… He spent time on the lakes moving ore from Duluth to Ashtabula during WW2. He said that things got pretty bad in November, and he liked this song. He also liked Factory by Springsteen… That is was who he was…

Last edited by WooferDawg; 05/03/23 01:26 AM.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
If you could read my mind (love), what a tale my thoughts could tell....

RIP

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
L
Legend
Legend
L
I went on Lightfoot’s Wikipedia page today and found this quote of praise from Bob Dylan. Like him or not, when Dylan talks up a songwriter that’s a serious cred-booster.

“Bob Dylan.... called him one of his favourite songwriters and said, "I can't think of any Gordon Lightfoot song I don't like. Every time I hear a song of his, it's like I wish it would last forever.... Lightfoot became a mentor for a long time. I think he probably still is to this day".

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Very nice.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

Dylan was obviously a big fan.

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I posted that somewhat sarcastically. Dylan seemed less than interested. It’s known though that they were good friends.

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg
I posted that somewhat sarcastically. Dylan seemed less than interested. It’s known though that they were good friends.

None the less, friends, and the intro was by Anne Murray, another great Canadian singer.

I loved Anne Murray. A great singer. When she sang this song, she was singing to me. Well, that is the way I remember it and i am just going to cling to that!

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Gordon Lightfoot passes

Link Copied to Clipboard