Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

I was listening to sports radio this morning so this thought isn't my own, but an analyst guest came on the radio and said this trade was the Browns being smart. "Smart" in the sense that they knew of a team/player situation where MIN couldn't keep Smith on the roster either because he was disgruntled or not in the future plans and they wanted to maneuver money. Granted, it helped that the Browns FO has a good relationship with current MIN GM , Kwesi Adofo-Mensah, but this was another example of Berry knowing, and exploiting, another team's current situation--kinda like he did with Amari Cooper.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
Legend
Legend
Agreed Memphis. It’s a smart move by us and executed in a smart way. It’s not a 100% home run given his age and couple of injuries of late, but he’s the best chance we have to grab an impact guy

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Probably the best defensive front we've had since the late 60's.

Legend
Legend
Our original hope with drafting Courtney brown and Gerard Warren was to have a dominant DL. Let’s hope this one is

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog

Seems like our new DC Schwartz is more willing to rely on older, more experienced talent to build his defense...rather than follow the guardrails that were established a few years ago (2016).

As I have mentioned in the past...there is no trophy for the team with the most cap space.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mac

Seems like our new DC Schwartz is more willing to rely on older, more experienced talent to build his defense...rather than follow the guardrails that were established a few years ago (2016).

As I have mentioned in the past...there is no trophy for the team with the most cap space.

I think guardrails are still in place.

The difference is we aren't building any longer. We are finishing...and you finish with experienced players who are on 1-2 year deals.

Guardrails can be moved.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Exactly Ball and those players will mentor our younger guys. May I dare say our FO seems to know what they're doing. thumbsup

P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree. A one year deal with a 30 year old? That's the exact same age as Clowney. No guardrails were moved here.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by mac

I think guardrails are still in place.

The difference is we aren't building any longer. We are finishing...and you finish with experienced players who are on 1-2 year deals.

Guardrails can be moved.

Peen...yes, some guardrails might still be in place but this year we see a Browns franchise that is more aggressive in the free agent market.

Every year (since 2016) I've tried to remind everyone that there is "NO Lombardi Trophy" for the team that leads the NFL in most "cap space available".

Since 2016, the Browns have either led the NFL (or been near the top of the NFL) with the most cap space available. In 2 of the last 3 yrs, the Browns have been #1 in cap space available...

2022...#1...31.1m
2021...#6...9.4m
2020...#1...29.5m

This year is different than in past years as the Browns have used their cap dollars help build a roster that should be able to compete for a playoff birth and a shot at the real Lombardi Trophy.

Last edited by mac; 05/15/23 01:39 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Legend
Legend
B
We agree. We aren't in "building" mode. We are in win mode. When you are in win mode, you aren't trying to accumulate draft picks and bring in a lot of young players for the future. You want more vets who can step in a help day one, whatever their role. The guardrails can widen at this point..

You do what we are now doing. Spending as much cash that makes sense to bring in vets on 1-2 year deals to supplement the starting core..

I am sure this process will repeat over and over as long as we still have the same FO.

We have seen how they operate building up to this point, and are now seeing what they are going to do once they reach a certain point.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Agreed. We clearly have guide rails for when we are building our team. But when we are closer to a finished product those go out the window a little bit

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns trade for Za’Darius Smith

Link Copied to Clipboard