Next Thread
Print Thread
#2015648 05/15/23 11:05 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland...n-kenny-pickett-deshaun-watso-210120574/

Just finished reading this. Good read.

I understand the why of the ranking. However, I do think it is not as simple as it seems.

Obviously Pickett is last. He has much to prove and the competition is rough. But yes, he is last.

Everyone has Burrow in first place. Then back and forth on DW and Lamar.

Ok. All of this is based upon the last look. However, let's look a little deeper.

Burrow, Lamar and Pickett all have been with one team. Pickett is not in this discussion because he was a rookie.

Burrow and Lamar have played in one system with the same coaching staff and players.

DW situation is completely different. We all know the circumstances.

This year is different because DW knows the team. The coaching staff has had a chance to learn a lot more about DW. He is involved in developing the offense. He will have a full off season to prepare and develop the necessary chemistry. This year should be close to normal for a season preparation.

I think we have to go back and look at DW purely as a quarterback. Forget everything else and look at how he plays the position.

Deshaun Watson is 27 years old. Listed at 6'2" 215 lbs.
Career numbers 31-28-0. 67% completion. 15,641 Yards. 8.2 Y/A. 111 TD's. 41 int's.

How would a scout define the play of DW?

He has decent size. He is athletic with excellent movement skills to avoid rushers. He has a pass first mentality. He wants to throw rather than run. So, if he moves to avoid the rush. He will continue to look to pass downfield.

At times especially when it is called for he is an effective runner. He will not hesitate to run it if running it is necessary.

He has a quick clean release. He has a strong arm and can make every throw. He is accurate with excellent ball placement. He can throw a guy open.
He is a student of the game with the reputation of a hard worker. I believe he would grade high in pre and post snap decisions. He sees the field well.

As a player he is well respected by other players. He is considered an excellent leader both as a pro and when he was a college player.

Looking at DW purely on a skill level as a quarterback. There is little that he can not do. He has never been on a great team. In fact the Texans were bad.

He will be playing this year with the best surrounding talent then he has ever played with.

Right now I would put him behind Burrow because Burrow has great receivers and he has chemistry with them. But Burrow is not as complete of a player as DW is. DW is more skilled. He is more mobile. Just as accurate, and actually has a stronger arm. Overall I would grade DW slightly ahead of Burrow because he can do what Burrow does and do it a little better.

I take nothing away from Burrow. I have great respect for him. I do as well for Lamar. Lamar is different. We know all about him. Lamar is not the passer that Burrow and DW are.

After this season we should revisit this discussion. We can look at fresh results on a even playing field instead of the six games played last year.

Legend
Legend
like you said, Burrow is definitely 1.

Lamar is all about staying healthy. He’s the most unique QB because how he impacts the game and challenges the defense in different ways.

Watson was bad last season, which we kind of expected (I’ll admit I thought he would be better than he was, even with so much rust).

I’m worried about watson returning to form. IF he does, I take him over Lamar. IF he doesn’t, Pickett has a chance to be the better QB and we’ll be in the basement

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
If DW plays the way those #'s you posted indicate he could just be the best QB we've had since Otto Graham.

P
Legend
Legend
P
The issue is you are who you are until you're not. At one time watson played great. That's who he was until he wasn't. What he is now is what he was last season and that's who he is until he's not.

Most of the world doesn't play, "Yeah, but."

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
When you look at a career how do you judge it?

So, if I understand you correctly. DW has played in 59 NFL games.

53 games before the last six when he was with one team. I think I remember you stating context matters? Does it?

There is no context regarding those six games? His last six games is who he is today?

Sorry, I disagree. Context does matter. And there was plenty of context regarding those six games.

I will place way more emphasis on the 53 games.

My point is simple look at the player in whole. Then compare him to the North quarterbacks.

You may as well put him at the bottom.

P
Legend
Legend
P
No, you understand exactly what I mean. Sure, you can look at it the way you do and that's fine. I never stated anything about how "I look at it". I stated the way these writers and most people in general look at things. When he played great he was great. Then he didn't play for well over a year and a half. Then he played lousy. So until he plays great again he is playing lousy.

They aren't trying to write some future analysis based on a prediction. They're basing their opinions on the only evidence they have to base anything on from the past two years.

You can base your opinion on anything you like. But realistically expecting people across the country to look at what happened what will be three seasons ago and beyond going into this season is something I don't think people can expect. I understand why you feel the way you do. I'm also not trying to say you're wrong. I'm saying that expecting the nation to have the same perspective as a positive thinking Browns fan isn't being objective.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I think you are misinterpreting what I am posting.

I read an article. I agreed with them. I then stated that a deeper dive considering all factors is necessary.

I am merely pointing out that when you look at the quarterbacks under the lens of talent and based upon a much larger sample.

It is not cut and dried.

The reality is that outside of Pickett. There is probably very little difference. Lamar's game is unique. It is easy to see his strength and weakness.

All three are capable of winning a Super Bowl with a good team behind them.

P
Legend
Legend
P
If and or when watson returns to his former performance level you are correct.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

No way! rofl

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

No way! rofl

Thanks for the great addition of content to the thread. I didn't know throwing out an opening salvo was considered Pure Football now.

#gmstrong
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Right now Burrow is the most accomplished QB in the North
And he has been in the same system since day 1.

Watson is learning a new playbook. But His body hasn't
Taken a beating.

Jackson has a brand new OC in Todd Monken.
New #1 WR in Odell Beckham.

Pickett is in his 2nd year with same OC. New addition at
WR in Allen Robinson.

Each QB is totally distinct in their skill sets.
Each QB is capable of getting their teams to the playoffs

Legend
Legend
Who else is looking forward to the first knock-down-drag-out between Jackson and Beckham Jr?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FATE
Who else is looking forward to the first knock-down-drag-out between Jackson and Beckham Jr?

OBJ is gonna get mad that Jackson likes Mark Andrews more than him.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P

He wasn't the #1 WR with the Rams and he seemed to get along fine there.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Beckham Sr

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
2 members like this: MemphisBrownie, FATE
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
First of all leshaun is a 93 qb rating over the last 3 years.
Do not bring up statistics from 6 years ago when he had numbers
Comparable to Brady he was never equal to Brady period.
Question what is leshaun qb rating at home because the games I have
Seen he has been as bad as kizer?
Point 2 he had 1 game over a 100 hundred rating this accounts
For a 18 percent probability of him getting a 100 hundred rating.
Lamar is 2 wins no losses against leshaun he does not even get to
Lamar levels until we beat Baltimore 3 wins in a row.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The North Quarterbacks

Link Copied to Clipboard