Print Thread
#2019044 06/25/23 09:41 PM
M
mgh888 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
I can't make up my mind... What do you think??

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/25/politics/michael-luttig-republican-party-trump-rebuke/index.html#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16877304734495&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F2023%2F06%2F25%2Fpolitics%2Fmichael-luttig-republican-party-trump-rebuke%2Findex.html

Conservative retired federal judge calls GOP ‘spineless’ in scathing rebuke of Trump

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
mgh888 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Conservative retired federal judge J. Michael Luttig has called the Republican Party base “spineless” for its continued support of former President Donald Trump and submitted that the GOP is destroying itself.

“If the indictment of Mr. Trump on Espionage Act charges – not to mention his now almost certain indictment for conspiring to obstruct Congress from certifying Mr. Biden as the president on Jan. 6 – fails to shake the Republican Party from its moribund political senses, then it is beyond saving itself. Nor ought it be saved,” Luttig said in a scathing New York Times op-ed published Sunday.

Luttig called Republican support of Trump, the current front-runner for the 2024 GOP presidential nomination, “a colossal political miscalculation.”

“No assemblage of politicians except the Republicans would ever conceive of running for the American presidency by running against the Constitution and the rule of law. But that’s exactly what they’re planning,” Luttig wrote.

The op-ed marks an extraordinary repudiation of the GOP from a lifelong registered Republican.

Luttig, a former judge on the 4th US Circuit Court of Appeals, was a key witness at the January 6 committee hearings last year. He is also known for his conservative credentials and longstanding ties with the Supreme Court. In 1991, he was part of the team that prepared Clarence Thomas for his controversial Supreme Court nomination hearings, and he later became known as one of the top “feeder judges” on the court of appeals level, sending 45 of his 47 clerks to clerk for justices on the high court.

Ahead of the January 6, 2021, attack on the US Capitol, Luttig advised Vice President Mike Pence’s legal team against claims from Trump allies such as attorney John Eastman, who had argued that Pence had the power to block the certification of the 2020 presidential election.

“The stewards of the Republican Party have become so inured to their putative leader, they have managed to convince themselves that an indicted and perhaps even convicted Donald Trump is their party’s best hope for the future,” Luttig wrote in his op-ed.

He also name-checked prominent Republicans who have stopped short of throwing their political support to Trump but have attacked the Justice Department over its investigations into the former president.

“Both Governor DeSantis and Mr. Pence pledged – in a new Republican litmus test – that on their first day in office they would fire the director of the F.B.I., the Trump appointee Christopher Wray, obviously for his turpitude in investigating Mr. Trump,” Luttig wrote.

The retired judge ended the op-ed with a solemn plea, for his party to put the country first and “pull back from the brink – for the good of the party, as well as the nation.”

View on CNN

© 2023 Cable News Network. A Warner Bros. Discovery Company. All Rights Reserved.
CNN Sans ™ & © 2016 Cable News Network.

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Ad Choices | Accessibility & CC | About | Newsletters | Transcripts | Cookie Settings

Dang, didn't even realize it was CNN. Must mean all those quotes are fake...

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
But but but…what about Hunter?

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
I guess we have an issue with people that don't want policed right?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
Wasn't quite sure which thread to post this in so out of the current threads running I chose this one. I do believe it's a sentiment many of the posters on this board share while we even have some disagreements on policy....

Liz Cheney Urges Voters to Stop 'Electing Idiots'

Former Representative Liz Cheney urged voters to elect "serious people" to public office during an event in New York City Monday night.

Cheney, a Wyoming Republican, has pitched herself as a voice of reason in the Republican Party after turning against Donald Trump over his conduct following the 2020 presidential election. A onetime rising star in the GOP, Cheney has become increasingly bipartisan in recent years, expressing support for moderate Republicans and even some Democrats.

She has also emerged as a top GOP critic of her party's direction, warning Republicans against embracing Trump's style of politics and condemning extremism in both parties.

During her discussion with David Rubenstein about the future of bipartisanship, held at New York's 92nd Street Y, Cheney said, "What we've done in our politics is create a situation where we're electing idiots. And so I don't look at it through the lens of 'Is this what I should do or what I shouldn't do?' I look at it through the lens of 'How do we elect serious people?'"

She said that electing serious candidates "can't be partisan" and urged both Republicans and Democrats to reject extremes.

Several social media users voiced agreement with Cheney's frustrations with national politicians.

"Liz Cheney isn't holding back one bit. And although we may disagree on a lot politically, I do appreciate this version of Liz Cheney & wish more Republicans had the spine & courage to do the same," tweeted writer and podcast host Victor Shi.

"NAILED IT. Thanks Liz!" tweeted @DavidLevine.

"Go, @Liz_Cheney! Too bad an adult mentality test (as well as background clearance) isn't a prerequisite before someone can run for office. Hopefully 2024 will get rid of a lot of idiots. We need adults in the room again," tweeted @TherapyDogsRock.

Cheney, the daughter of former Vice President Dick Cheney, was first elected to Congress in 2015 and quickly rose in the House's GOP leadership. She served as the chair of the House Republican Conference for nearly two years before being removed from the post because her anti-Trump stance alienated many of her GOP colleagues. She later lost a Republican primary to the Trump-endorsed Harriet Hageman, who easily won the November general election in the deeply conservative state of Wyoming.

Cheney was one of 10 House Republicans who voted to impeach Trump following the January 6, 2021, riot at the U.S. Capitol, when a mob of the ex-president's supporters, motivated by his baseless election-fraud claims, violently protested President Joe Biden's Electoral College victory. She later served as a chair of the House committee investigating that riot.

Cheney has suggested she might run for president in 2024. At the Mackinac Policy Conference held in Detroit earlier this month, she said that the priority is ensuring that Trump is not elected again and that she has not "ruled out" a presidential run.

https://www.newsweek.com/liz-cheney-urges-voters-stop-electing-idiots-1809336

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: mgh888
Legend
Legend
RINO, Libtard, Woke.

the names got stupid but the right wingers. i missed the days when they just told me to go back to my country. at least the insults hurt a lil bit then

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
It would be interesting to see Liz and Donny lawless go at it toe to toe in a heated debate.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Rino or a Libtard?

Link Copied to Clipboard