Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
P
I know the board debated him around draft time many years back.
Tragic. Young.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...nfl-qb-reportedly-drowns-in-florida/amp/

Ryan Mallett dies at 35: Ex-Arkansas, NFL QB reportedly drowns in Florida

Former Arkansas and Michigan quarterback Ryan Mallett died on Tuesday. Mallett, 35, was pronounced dead at a Florida hospital after being transported from a local beach where he apparently drowned, according to multiple reports.

"We are shocked and saddened by the passing of Ryan Mallett," Arkansas said in a statement posted to Twitter. "He was a Razorback legend with larger-than-life talent and a personality to match. He led our program to some of our best moments in recent memory. He will be missed by everyone who knew him. Our thoughts and prayers are with his mother Debbie and his extended family."

Mallett began his career at Michigan and transferred to Arkansas after his freshman season. He emerged as a star for the Razorbacks in 2009, throwing for 3,624 yards and 30 touchdowns. He led the the Hogs to an 8-5 record that included a win over East Carolina in the Liberty Bowl.

Mallett was even better the following season. He threw for 3,869 yards and 32 touchdowns, leading Arkansas to a 10-3 record, a berth in the Sugar Bowl and a No. 12 finish in the final AP Top 25. That performance earned him second-team All-SEC honors for the second straight season. Mallett broke virtually every program passing record during his time under center with the Razorbacks.

The New England Patriots selected Mallett in the third round of the 2010 NFL Draft. He went on to play seven seasons in the NFL with the Patriots (2011-13), Houston Texans (2014-15) and Baltimore Ravens (2015-17).

The Patriots organization offered its condolences in a social media statement.

"The New England Patriots are deeply saddened to learn of the sudden and unexpected passing of former quarterback Ryan Mallett," the post read. "Our thoughts are with the Mallett family, his former teammates and all who are mourning his loss."

Mallett turned to coaching after the end of his playing days. He was preparing for his second season as the head coach at White Hall High School in Arkansas.

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
I heard that this afternoon. Sad news.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
It's always tragic when someone young passes. RIP Ryan.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
T
Legend
Legend
T
more news search tonight, yielded, .. b/c I wondered how could this happen, ... yielded that eleven deaths at that beach in 2 weeks and the sheriffs lament at being the deadliest beach in America, and mentioned rip currents.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
more news search tonight, yielded, .. b/c I wondered how could this happen, ... yielded that eleven deaths at that beach in 2 weeks and the sheriffs lament at being the deadliest beach in America, and mentioned rip currents.

Where did you come up with that load of BS? None of that is true. Rip currents were ruled out in Mallett's drowning.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...a-of-drowning-officials-say/70367128007/

"Data on swimming incidents in the area
Mallett's death occurred in a stretch of beach off Gulf Shore Drive in Destin, Florida ― a strip of coastline along the Gulf of Mexico populated by resorts, hotels, condos and the occasional restaurant.

According to data obtained by USA TODAY Sports on Wednesday, that particular stretch of beach has not been an abnormally troublesome spot − though it has been the site of dozens of swimming incidents in recent years.

Since May 2020, the Okaloosa County Sheriff's Office has responded to at least 58 calls for service regarding swimmers in distress in the three-mile stretch of beach from Destin East Jetty to the western edge of Henderson Beach State Park. Six of the calls, including the one regarding Mallett, ultimately involved drowning deaths."

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
No rip currents in area where Ryan Mallett drowned, officials reveal

There were no rip currents in the section of Florida coastline where former NFL quarterback Ryan Mallett drowned Tuesday afternoon, according to a statement from Destin Beach Safety, which oversees lifeguarding operations in the area.

And the conditions in the water at the time Mallett was rescued were not especially hazardous or dangerous.

The new details underscore the tragic and shocking nature of Mallett's death, which prompted widespread mourning and tributes across the broader football community late Tuesday and into Wednesday morning. The former Arkansas quarterback, who spent six NFL seasons with three different teams, had been set to begin his second season as a high school football coach in Arkansas this fall. He was 35 years old.

"We lost a great man. Thank you for everything Ryan," retired quarterback Tom Brady, a former teammate of Mallett's with the New England Patriots, wrote in an Instagram story. "Praying for the Mallett family and all their loved ones."

Destin Beach Safety said in its statement that it arrived to the scene after a beach attendant called 911 at around 2:12 p.m. on Tuesday, reporting that six individuals were struggling to make it back to the shore. When the rescue service arrived, lifeguards were told one of the individuals ― later confirmed to be Mallett ― had gone underwater and failed to resurface. Three lifeguards ultimately assisted the group, including Mallett, who was not breathing when he was brought to shore, authorities said.

The Okaloosa County Sheriff's Office said its investigators are continuing to gather information about the incident but believe Mallett was attempting to swim to a second sandbar about 150 feet offshore. They had yet to release a formal incident report as of Wednesday afternoon.

"Despite widespread media misinformation, yellow beach safety flags were flying at the time and there were no indications of any 'riptides,'" the sheriff's office said in a post on Facebook, alongside brief body cam footage.

The flags it referenced are part of a broader safety system that is in place in the area, to warn visitors about how hazardous the conditions are in the water on any given day.

The yellow flag indicates there was moderate surf and/or currents in the area Tuesday, which means life-threatening conditions were possible but not likely. Destin had issued red or double red flag warnings in 12 of the preceding 13 days. Under double red flag warnings, it is illegal to enter the Gulf of Mexico.
Data on swimming incidents in the area

Mallett's death occurred in a stretch of beach off Gulf Shore Drive in Destin, Florida ― a strip of coastline along the Gulf of Mexico populated by resorts, hotels, condos and the occasional restaurant.

According to data obtained by USA TODAY Sports on Wednesday, that particular stretch of beach has not been an abnormally troublesome spot − though it has been the site of dozens of swimming incidents in recent years.

Since May 2020, the Okaloosa County Sheriff's Office has responded to at least 58 calls for service regarding swimmers in distress in the three-mile stretch of beach from Destin East Jetty to the western edge of Henderson Beach State Park. Six of the calls, including the one regarding Mallett, ultimately involved drowning deaths.

According to data maintained by the National Weather Service, there have been more than 1,000 surf zone fatalities since 2010, including 60 so far this year, as of Sunday. Of those 60 deaths, which do not include Mallett's, 17 have occurred along the Gulf of Mexico and all but two involved rip currents.

"Many times people don’t think about it, and they’re caught off guard by the risk," Greg Dusek, a senior scientist with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s ocean service unit, told The Associated Press. "I guess that’s natural human mentality. You get to the beach, you just want to have a good time with your family. You’re not necessarily thinking about what can go wrong."
Double-digit deaths along Gulf of Mexico

The past month has been an especially tragic time, both in Destin beaches and across the Florida panhandle.

In a 12-day span from June 14 through Sunday, Destin Beach Safety said it had rescued 48 people and rendered some form of first aid on 55 occasions. The rescue service's director, Joe D'Agostino, said last week that lifeguards had encountered many people who disobeyed their warnings while effectively saying "I paid a whole bunch of money, I'm getting in the water no matter what."

"I’d like to remind everybody out there, locals and visitors: We’re not the fun police," D'Agostino told The Destin Log, which is part of the USA TODAY Network. "We don’t want to ruin your vacation. We just want to see you go home alive."

In Bay County, just east of Destin, authorities have been dealing with similar issues. Seven tourists died in the county in a 10-day span earlier this month, and six occurred in areas that were under double red flag warnings at the time.

"I’m beyond frustrated at the situation that we have with tragic and unnecessary deaths in the Gulf," the county's sheriff, Tommy Ford, wrote in part of a passionate plea posted on Facebook on Sunday.

"I’m so proud of the men and women at the sheriffs office and partner agencies that are giving their absolute best to save lives. Please be responsible and don’t put your life or theirs in danger."

https://sports.yahoo.com/no-rip-currents-area-where-021547597.html

Mallett drowned at Destin Beach. The "deadly" beach you are referring to is Panama City Beach.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
So sad... thought he was a good guy... appreciated his time in Houston....

<><

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Yellow flags are common. You don't think much about a yellow light until you get hit by someone running the light or the light turning red as you go through. I think we have all done that....you get in to that no-mans land so to speak.

You know...where we start looking to see if a cop is around because you know you could be pulled over. Come on folks....don't lie. You know you could have stopped, be it somewhat quickly.

It doesn't matter...a bit of a wave in the face as you are taking a breath, the rip current, it can happen to any of us. People drown in swimming pools that don't have waves or rip tides.

"Stuff" happens.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
L
Legend
Legend
L
I live 15 minutes or so from a beautiful beach but I never go jn the water. Someone drowns there every few years, mostly late August or early September when the under-currents get tricky and the lifeguards have left for the summer.

I haven’t been swimming since the 1980s, I’m a weak swimmer so I respect the ocean. I don’t even like swimming pools.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by lampdogg
I live 15 minutes or so from a beautiful beach but I never go jn the water. Someone drowns there every few years, mostly late August or early September when the under-currents get tricky and the lifeguards have left for the summer.

I haven’t been swimming since the 1980s, I’m a weak swimmer so I respect the ocean. I don’t even like swimming pools.

I am the same way except I "was" a strong swimmer. Had a built in pool at one house and took lessons when I was maybe 5-6 at a local Y. We didn't have a swim team in HS or anything like that, but once I was maybe 25 or so....or maybe earlier, somewhere after "Jaws", I just decided I didn't need to be in the water. LOL...I have cousins in Louisiana. They would get in the swampy looking water...all I could think about were Gators and snakes....naaa, not for me...maybe my time in Vietnam...too many snakes.

Today, I don't even like to go to the beach....in Florida right now. I complain to my wife it gets sand in the car...lol. If we do walk the beach which she insists we do, if I go in the water, ankle deep is the depth for me.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
P
We have regular drownings in local rivers because idiots jump in on hot days and get shocked by the cold. Our rivers are glacier fed. Even in the heat of the summer some never get warmer than the low 50’s. Your muscles don’t like to work well when they get that cold. Mix in a little alcohol… dead swimmers frequently.

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg
We have regular drownings in local rivers because idiots jump in on hot days and get shocked by the cold. Our rivers are glacier fed. Even in the heat of the summer some never get warmer than the low 50’s. Your muscles don’t like to work well when they get that cold. Mix in a little alcohol… dead swimmers frequently.

When I was young and living in SC we visited Cleveland. Headed over to Edgewater Park in July. Coldest water I had been in and never again. That hurt just walking in. Never got passed my....

P
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
P
I use to hike in to Punchbowl Falls in the Columbia River Gorge. There’s a few great cliff jumping areas. One of the hardest parts about standing on a 30’+ cliff wasn’t the jump or the fall, it was knowing you were about to hit icy water. That took psyching yourself up. You’d imagine your water landing and plot you’re out before making a leap.

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I use to hike in to Punchbowl Falls in the Columbia River Gorge. There’s a few great cliff jumping areas. One of the hardest parts about standing on a 30’+ cliff wasn’t the jump or the fall, it was knowing you were about to hit icy water. That took psyching yourself up. You’d imagine your water landing and plot you’re out before making a leap.

Hope you enjoyed that. I've never felt the need to do stuff like that. Cold water and the boys never a good thing.

P
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
P
After a 2 mile uphill hike, some of it exposed to the sun… the water was cold but a much welcomed respite from the heat.

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
After a 2 mile uphill hike, some of it exposed to the sun… the water was cold but a much welcomed respite from the heat.
Everything in moderation. Cold water included. grin

B
Legend
Legend
B

The Gulf waters aren't like that, but no doubt. The cold water will take your breath away for a few moments.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FrankZ

When I was young and living in SC we visited Cleveland. Headed over to Edgewater Park in July. Coldest water I had been in and never again. That hurt just walking in. Never got passed my....

...And that's a good place to stop when the water is too cold. lol

RIP Ryan.

Legend
Legend
This is a very sad thing to read. 35 is way too soon. My heart goes out to his family and loved ones, who must bear this loss.

Topaz Lake, Little Mountain Lake, Little Superior Lake.
Killarney Provincial Park, Ontario, CA
Coldest water I've ever swum.

Topaz had cliffs for diving. The other two had gentle limestone slopes to neck-high water. I was never able to decide which was worse- suffering slowly, or getting it over with all at once-

I'd scoped out that first Topaz Lake dive point for a good 10 minutes before I took the plunge, so I'd already been in the water. Brutally cold, after a 4-hr full-pack hike. After the recon, it was another 6-minute rock scramble back up to the launch point. In the dead of Summer. Upper 80's, or so/ 80% humidity. So yeah- I was sweating again when I climbed back out onto that promontory. We're talking about an instantaneous 30° drop in the body's ambient temperature environment. We really aren't built to take much of that.

I was... you guessed it- 35 when I took that 14-day journey. Peak physical condition. And those dives were some of the most bracing experiences I ever had.

https://mapio.net/images-p/25909063.jpg

We jumped from the places where you see white rock meeting blue water.
My Wife was with me, every step/every leap of the way. She did s# with me during that fortnight that would break at least half the posters on this website.
Best birthday present I ever had.

Best 'private' swimming hole on Planet Earth.

[Linked Image from web.archive.org]

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
1 member likes this: PortlandDawg
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Ryan Mallett drowns in Florida.

Link Copied to Clipboard