Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
This is not about the Guardians.

No worries, most of the thread hasn’t been about them.

The pitch clock, the shift rules, and the extended base has really made this season interesting.

Legend
Legend
Given the production of the young starters.

Bieber needs to be traded. The Guardians are good enough to win the Central if they can add a bat or two.

They have the advantage in the pitching match-up tonight. I would expect them to win.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c...

Was up at the Guardians yesterday and tonight with the family. Great game tonight. Not much more fun than a walk-off win!

Crowd on 7/3 was incredible, too bad they lost that one. I do not ever remember it taking so long to get into a game as last night's and that includes playoffs and World Series. The lines were insane.

Time to send Arias back down and call Oscar Gonzalez back up.

Nearly 4k over capacity on 7/3.

1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
Legend
Legend
It is good to read that they are drawing more.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Sponge Bob needs to be recalled after the ASG. Send Arias back down. Not giving Arias any opportunities as it is.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
I hope they bring OG back, he is the hottest in the organization right now, but only if they play him everyday. The OF has to be LF-Kwan, CF-Brennan, RF-Gonzalez. You can’t bring him up and give him the Arias, Jones, Benson, Diaz treatment.

I would be on the phone with the Marlins looking to trade Straw, they are really injured/hurting at CF.

1 member likes this: Milk Man
Legend
Legend
Honestly I am more of a baseball fan than football. It is not that I don't like football.

It is more that football has become what it is. IMO it has become media saturated. Lots of talk and not much content. The coverage of football has grown past overflow. The most minute detail of anything that happens gets overexposed.

Some games are great entertainment. Many are not.

I remain an avid Browns fan. But that is about it.

The "game" of baseball I love. It is such a great game. I am glad that it is evolving and I think the changes are for the good. I will be glad when the strike zone becomes automated. For some that is a hard pill to swallow. Myself it is not. I am tired of the inconsistent and varying strike zone.

I was born in Cleveland. My parents were Indians fans. We moved to Harrisburg when I was three and lived there ten years before returning. As a kid I collected baseball cards. I became a Brave fan (then in Milwaukee) because I loved their uniforms. And Hank Aaron became a hero because I watched him win Home Run Derby.

I moved to Atlanta in 1978. Got heavily involved with baseball. I coached and my son was very good.

This season I am watching IMO one of the best teams I have ever seen. 2023 Braves have a lineup that will break offensive records. They don't have the pitching of the great teams of Maddux, Smoltz and Glavine. But this years offense is something to behold.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Elly De La Cruz has become must see TV. MLB should be marketing the hell out of him.

Guardians in first place in the division after today's win and Twins loss. This about the time Tito's teams usually start rolling. 18 total hits with Bo Naylor collecting 3. Another nice outing by Gavin Williams. Complete the sweep tomorrow.

Legend
Legend
Guardians Over 500.

Win today guarantees 1st place at the break. Need to make a move before trade deadline.

Braves win 11th straight series with the win last night over the Rays. Go for the sweep today.
60 wins before the break.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

1 member likes this: GratefulDawg
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

1 member likes this: GratefulDawg
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

2 members like this: GratefulDawg, Ballpeen
B
Legend
Legend
B
Thanks for those reports.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I don't get to watch much college ball. I did watch some of the College World Series.

This dude Paul Skenes who went numero uno is the real deal. He will not play much minor league ball. I would not doubt he will be in the majors his first season.

Ironically I saw the Florida pitcher Hurston Waldrep play in the series and he was drafted by the Braves. Another player who grew up in Georgia and is a huge Braves fan.

Spencer Strider is from Ohio and grew up an Indians fan and wears number 99 in honor of "Wild Thing." He leads all of MLB in K's.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I guess technically this will be Skenes 1st season. He will play somewhere in August and parts of Sept. He may start in AA. mMaybe even get a cup of coffee at AAA late this year if he commands AA. He may get the major call next year. I don't know all the rules, but probably after the time where the team still holds the rights another season....Juneish?

Major college baseball is probably about equal to AA ball...at least SEC baseball. AA has better players top to bottom, but the bats equal things out a bit, at least as far as pitchers are concerned. Guys who hit .310 in college might be .260 hitters with a wood bat.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
There is a big difference in how baseball players arrive in the majors than how football players reach the NFL.

NFL football is fed by the college pipeline to the NFL. That is pretty much it. There are a few exceptions.

In MLB the path to the pros is different. College players is just one piece. The Braves as an example prefer to draft high school players. They get control of them and manage them through their minor league system.

Then there the "International draft." Some teams have "farms" in Latin America where they sign kids at 16. Then raise them up through their systems. Then there are Asian players who play in their pro leagues and come to the majors after they become eligible.

East Cobb Baseball has put a bunch of kids into the majors. Players from all over the southeast come to play for the East Cobb travel teams. Those teams compete at the highest level of play. They then get college scholarships or are drafted into the minors. I saw at least 20 players enter the majors that played for East Cobb teams. That is amazing. One county in Georgia is like a farm team.

A
Legend
Legend
A
j/c

Local kid just got drafted in the 9th round, pick number 284 - by Houston. Daughter's classmate, actually. Jaren Williams. Graduate of Archbold, 2 years at a jr. college, then a scholarship to the U. of Toledo. Led the NCAA in stolen bases this year in regular season. MAC player of the year.

He may never may the majors, but it's still kind of cool to see. Dude knows me. He's been to my house. Chatted with him a few times this summer.

Next up, a local guy that went to OSU. Kade Kern. Will be interesting to see if / where he gets drafted. Daughter tutored him in h.s.

Legend
Legend
Last year at this time the Central race looked close to what it is today. Close race no separation.
The Guardians did nothing at the trade deadline.

This year?

My hope is the Guardians do something this year. That something is go all in on a trade to get Juan Soto.
He is 24 years old.
He is one of the best young talents in MLB.

He would be a cornerstone player. He hits for average and power. Great plate discipline.

It has been so frustrating to follow the Guardians. They have this great farm system. They develop talent. Then to nothing to leverage that asset and go for it. Win the division and have the roster to contend to win it all.

Tito is a fantastic manager. They have starters and and a good pen.

They also have a major shortage of power. Their 60 home runs year to date is last in all baseball. The first place team in home runs is the Braves has hit
169 homes year to date.

The Guardians need to do something.

A less expensive option would be Cody Bellinger of the Cubs.

He won the MVP of the NL in 2019. Hitting .305 with 47 home runs. He has fallen on hard times with injury but has been ok this season. He is hitting.298 with 9 home runs and 29 RBI's.

Soto is the guy they should go all out to get.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c..

Jose!...

:47 second mark..

Legend
Legend
That is cool that he likes Jose.

Dude is a total stud.

Throwing a 100 pitches and then hitting the next day has to be hard. Normal pitchers are so regulated in how they prepare for each start. They need recovery time.

To DH the next day after pitching is not easy. Hitting requires everyday work.

Doing what he is doing is more than ability. It is facing the grind of doing it everyday from spring training to the end of the season.

Baseball is a daily grind that really wears you out.

Ohtani is really a unique talent.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
I know we always take alot of pitchers, we sure took ALOT this year.

Legend
Legend
Where will Ohtani go?

First off I don't think he will be traded before the trade deadline. It would cost a lot of picks and he is a FA in 2024.

https://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/arti..._to_land_shohei_ohtani/s1_16493_39019841

The Dodgers are the favorites. He would remain of the West Coast. The Dodgers have money and are structured to remain competitive.

I do not think he will go to New York. He wants to win and neither NY team is in a great position to win.

The Braves are in the best position to win for the next 8 years plus. Seven of eight position players are locked into long term deals. Strider, Kyle Wright, and Elder are locked up as pitchers. Max Fried still has another year before FA and could be signed.

Morton and Ozuna will be off the books next year. Ohtani goes to the rotation and replaces Ozuna as DH.

That means Ronald Acuna and Ohtani could be on the same team. The two best players in Baseball.

Ohtani to Atlanta would give Ohtani what he wants. The best chance to win. The Braves are very profitable. The "Battery" a outdoor shopping complex is part of their stadium. It racks in money. Ohtani will bring in more money.

IMO the Braves are just behind the Dodgers to win the big prize.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Absolutely absurd that Oscar Gonzalez has not been called back up.

Legend
Legend
Wahoo!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
I went to the Guards/Pirates game on Tuesday. Really impressive game from Cleveland. Naylor is a stud

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Milk Man

I think the power that be believes he got a big head towards the end of last year, thought that he made it, and that was a pass to swing heavy at anything and everything. Bringing him back up this soon might not be the medicine he needs to want to not get demoted once again if he is called up. This is all speculation on my part but maybe they'd like him to mature a bit more and his "timeout" needs to be a bit longer?

(Watch him get called up in a few days, haha)

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted by Milk Man

I think the power that be believes he got a big head towards the end of last year, thought that he made it, and that was a pass to swing heavy at anything and everything. Bringing him back up this soon might not be the medicine he needs to want to not get demoted once again if he is called up. This is all speculation on my part but maybe they'd like him to mature a bit more and his "timeout" needs to be a bit longer?

(Watch him get called up in a few days, haha)

If the FO is concerned with players not earning their spot or being entitled to a roster spot, then it's time to sit Straw and Rosario down. Move Brennan to CF, Oscar in LF. Get Arias some playing time rather than languishing on the bench or just send him back down and get Freeman more ABs.. Straw should be a rotational 4th outfielder. Great glove. Trash bat and not stealing enough bases.

L
Legend
Legend
L
This FO has wasted the best manager they ever had... can you imagine tito coaching the 90's unit.. we would have had same run the braves had. I don't care about market..if owners want to win you spend the money.. if you look to say you own a team and pocket all the profit but just stay competitive enough to get fans believing this might be the year... you are the dolans..

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
One second too late..

apparently they're saying that the Guard got fleeced... I don't know enough to know... dodgers fans saying the trash got taken out...

Last edited by The Collector; 07/26/23 08:43 PM.
Legend
Legend
The Guardians traded a roadblock at the shortstop position.

I am not a huge follower of the NL, but it looks like Snydergaard kinda fell off the cliff this season. Maybe they can fix him. Who knows?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend

SpongeBob is back!

#gmstrong
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Dont mind trading Rosario, just wish they would got a SP to help now. With Bieber, McKenzie, and Quantrill already on the IL, this trade really does not help us.

Sure it opens up either SS or 2B, if they move Gimenez back to SS or not, for alot of our young talent infielders like Arias, Freeman, Rocchio, Brito, Martinez, and Tena.

I think I would held onto to him thru the end of the season if thats best they could get for him, and pray for a draft compensation pick.

Hopefully Jose doesn’t request a trade, him and Rosario are best friends. Can’t find the article now, but Jose took less on his contract hoping they would give Rosario some of the money he left on the table.

Legend
Legend
.5 games behind the Twins.

Trade deadline tomorrow.

This is what so frustrates me with the Guardians. They don't seem to be in it to win it. Last year at the deadline "nothing."

The division is there to win. They have a loaded farm system.

Yet it seems like the attitude of the owner is "who cares?" Lose players to free agency. Bring up a young guy. Pay him peanuts and good luck Tito.

Play 500 ball and hope people come to the park. Keep payroll at minimum.

I don't understand that and it pisses me off. They never make moves to be a great team.

I am a Braves fan but I am also a Cleveland fan. I became a Braves when I was nine and started playing Little league in Pa. My first glove was a Warren Spahn model and I loved the Braves uniform. Hank Aaron was my favorite player. I collected Braves and Indians baseball cards.

I moved to Atlanta in 1978 and started going to games and really getting into the Braves.

They are a great baseball organization. They run the organization the right way and their record proves it. I would still like the Guardians to become a great organization but damn they are frustrating.

Legend
Legend
I get the sense that the Guards will fall back too. Not sure why I feel that way.

Side note: the Orioles are a fun team. And really balanced.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Early in the year I watched the Braves play the O's.

That was when the Rays were way out in front. The O's left a lasting impression.

I really felt that they would be in it. Here they are now in first place. They have talent. They play hard and are aggressive.

After years of dwelling at that bottom it is good to see them rise up. The Rangers and O's look like the cream of the AL.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c...

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum The Guardians 2.0

Link Copied to Clipboard