Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#2019968 07/11/23 02:21 PM
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
We need to talk about that state, DT.

‘Florida man’ was supposed to remain a recurring theme meant for entertainment. The people weren’t supposed to vote that into state government.

Learning about how much a roof replacement cost in that state is insane. The mandatory flood insurance, combined with forcing homeowners to pay up front for damages on any claims is causing so much havoc right now. The immigration policy enacted recently made everything worse on top of other issues.

DeSantis is really about to turn Florida into just another Alabama or West Virginia.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #2019970 07/11/23 02:42 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
"About to"?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Swish #2019980 07/11/23 08:20 PM
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
lol!! Yea boy it must be horrible down here!! That’s why we can’t build houses fast enough for all the people flocking to the state to escape the looney lefty democrat run states.

Some roofs are more expensive down here because they are tile roofs which are heavy and require a great deal more support than shingles. Many are metal and they are more expensive as well. Several of my neighbors lost shingle roofs in Ian and replacement costs were comparable to shingle roofs anywhere else.

We have had two major hurricanes in the five years we have lived here full time. Insurance and individuals are working thru it. But I have not heard of a mass migration of Floridians going north and I do not think I will.

I get it. There is nothing you lefties want more than for desantis to fail and Floridians to struggle. . But 7-8 months ago he got 60% of the vote, significant % of Hispanics, blacks and independents. Just pisses you off.

On the bright side, judging by your comments we do not have to worry about you two joining us any time soon.

1 member likes this: EveDawg
keithfromxenia #2019981 07/11/23 08:35 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Us evil lefties don’t have to wish or root for DeStains to fail, we only have to watch. Just like everything else GOPer, all inept to the core. Enjoy your fantasy while it last, dude got his ass kicked by Mickey Mouse. Lmao@u.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
keithfromxenia #2019984 07/11/23 08:51 PM
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Your state isn’t even short on labor; it’s actively LOSING labor. You have a whole bunch of unfinished homes due to the immigration policy.

And now Farmers insurance just bailed out on the state.

You conservatives might not believe in climate change, but your insurance company sure does.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
Swish #2020004 07/12/23 09:52 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Hey buddy,

Checked back in and it looks like there is a good return of good posters and conversation, so I will go ahead and throw my name back in the hat.

I texted my best friend in Jacksonville yesterday about the insurance dilemma in Florida. My wife was also born and raised there. Her parents live on the beach between St. Pete and Clearwater.

Anyhow, this is what I texted my friend (who's a Big C Conservative by the way):

DL: "Are insurance rates really going ape(poop) in Florida right now? Seems to be trending but I didn't know if that was true or sensationalized."

Friend: "Yes totally! They are canceling everyone's home insurance every year and you have to get a new company and each company requires you to get an inspection and then send pics of trees near your property and then the insurance company will demand you to have all your trees trimmed (happened to my in-laws). Even if you have a perfectly fine roof and it is over 10 years old some insurance companies are demanding a replacement."

Take that data point for what it's worth.

My in-laws (FiL leans liberal, MiL leans conservative) also complain about DeSantis. FiL complains he's big on form and no substance, which is also what I see from afar. They both are rooted in Florida, but think it has already reached its "apex" and it will start a slow decline if things don't get turned around. They are worried about the environment, too. They said they see the sand-pumping boats off the coast more often now to pump sand back in and keep the shorelines up to snuff from sea erosion. Sargassum has gotten really bad, not only in Florida, but all over the Caribbean. Not much word from the Governor on that front, nor on the insurance front.

Once he runs out of villains to blame, he won't have much of a record to run off of. In fairness, a lot of politicians do that, but he seems to take it next level. I think his biggest concern right now is with his own campaign, because, as of now, it doesn't look like he'll even win his home state (where he is Governor) even in the primaries.

He really had the opportunity to show himself as a rational alternative to Trump, whether or not anyone believed that, but he seemed to double down on the tactic of saying "woke" every other word and going more aggressively after Trump's base. I honestly don't understand his strategy at all, from an objective standpoint.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Swish #2020009 07/12/23 10:51 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Swish
Your state isn’t even short on labor; it’s actively LOSING labor. You have a whole bunch of unfinished homes due to the immigration policy.

Can you imagine bragging about a place where even Mickey Mouse is a target of its politics? And you are 100% correct about labor in Florida. A situation directly created by DeSantis..........

Florida construction and agricultural workforces diminished after new immigration law takes effect

A new law that took effect in Florida on July 1 is already hitting the state's agricultural and construction industries hard.

The law, signed by Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) in May, makes it a third-degree felony for people to use a false identification to get hired for work. Any business that is found to knowingly employ those unauthorized workers could have its license revoked and face daily fines. Additionally, hospitals that accept Medicaid are now required to question a patient's immigration status, driver's licenses given to undocumented immigrants in other states are invalid, and it's a third-degree felony to knowingly transport undocumented immigrants into the state.

An estimated 772,00 undocumented immigrants lived in Florida in 2019, with many working on construction sites, farms and packaging facilities. Migrant workers began leaving the state once DeSantis signed the new law in May, The Wall Street Journal reported, including those who are authorized to work but are married to someone who isn't. A spokesperson for DeSantis defended the law, saying that businesses that hire undocumented immigrants "instead of Floridians will be held accountable."

At multiple construction sites in Miami, workers shared with the Journal that they have lost about half of their crews; one man said he knows people who went to Indiana, where they could make $38 an hour instead of $25 and not have to worry about running afoul of the immigration law. Tom C. Murphy, co-president of Coastal Construction, told the Journal there was already a labor shortage before the law went into effect, and while "we fully support documentation of the immigrant workforce, the new law is aggravating an already trying situation."

Immigration is usually a federal area of law, immigration lawyer Daniela Barshel told the Journal, and it will be difficult to give guidance to clients when there are differing state and federal rules. "It's kind of extreme that Florida passed a law like this," she said. Companies cannot be advised to stop hiring noncitizens, since that could be discrimination on the basis of race or national origin, leaving businesses with no easy path forward. "You don't want to be fined by the government, and you also don't want to be sued by someone because they were authorized to work and you didn't hire them," Barshel said.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/flo...ral-workforces-diminished-164807139.html

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
dawglover05 #2020011 07/12/23 11:02 AM
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
yea the insurance companies are screwing over the people down there hard. DeSantis unfortunately will never run out of villains since his wife is more popular than him and she's getting targeted. Allows him to continue this alpha nonsense he's going around the country pretending to be.

the fact that he's basically accusing his lord and savior (trump) of being woke is hilarious now. but, people voted for this so....

- Theodore Roosevelt
PitDAWG #2020012 07/12/23 11:06 AM
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
its crazy pit, because they hate these migrants so much, calling their jobs unskilled labor.

yet the "unskilled" bolted and the state is coming to a halt. but you know who i blame? Americans. because we got it into our entitled ass culture that construction and agriculture jobs are supposed to be low-skilled jobs deserving of low wages, when the reality is the exact opposite.

Remember when alabama tried the same nonsense with illegal immigration? it got so bad that deep red state had to reverse the policy. all these conservatives whining about jobs being taken by illegals, yet none of those conservatives seemed to be a rush to work those jobs that are now vacant. wonder why.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #2020013 07/12/23 11:29 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't get it either. Sadly not enough Americans are going into the building trades and somebody has to pick up the slack. You would have thought that Republicans would have learned from the disaster that happened in Alabama when pretty much the same tactics were used.................

Alabama immigration: crops rot as workers vanish to avoid crackdown

The day before harsh new laws came into effect, Brian Cash had 65 Hispanic men picking tomatoes. Now he has none

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/oct/14/alabama-immigration-law-workers

The problem reaches critical mass when they think screaming Murica is more important than their own constituents.

#gmstrong
Swish #2020016 07/12/23 12:17 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
On further reflection I wanted to tell you something of my experience from the early 2000's. It's a case of where I watched Republicans help create this situation they now seem to rail against. Now I can't say this was widespread but from outside appearances it most certainly was and I heard pretty much the same story from people I knew working for other general contractors.

I worked for a non union general contractor at the time. They were a staunchly Republican family who drew the company line in terms of their politics. I'm a fan of capitalism but as with anything else, when left unchecked to run amuck it gets abused. What we hear from them now is "immigrants are taking our jobs!" But based on my experience it was Republicans who gave those immigrants their jobs.

As a general contractor some parts of the construction process were subcontracted out while some were not. In this case the roofing, drywalling, painting ans plumbing were all done by subcontractors. When I first starting working for this company, all of the subcontractors were locally based with an American work force. As time went on, one by one these contractors were replaced with what appeared to be a very questionable workforce. Not that their workers were lazy or there was anything wrong with them as people, but the legality of it all was quite questionable.

Every subcontractor on these jobs previously had company signs on their trucks. Uniform shirts or or T-shirts with the company logo on them. Suddenly things began to change. First it was the drywallers. Old vans with no company logos or signage. Nobody on their crews could speak English other than one supervisor who spoke both English and Spanish so they could communicate with our supervisors. Six to eight of them would come in a single van. What was going on was totally obvious.

Soon that spread to the roofers and painters. It was quite obvious they were using cheaper subs that had illegal employees in order to save money. It was blatant and easy to see. The very same people that rail against illegal immigrants were using them in order to line their own pockets. But what I came to find out was the only business that could be held accountable for this was the company those immigrants worked for and not my employee, the general contractor of the job. So while they fully knew what they were doing, while they fully knew these were illegal employees, they themselves held no accountability.

And when it came to the company that hired them, as I stated, there was no signage or evidence of the company name to be found. The fact is, it was they themselves who created the very situation they now act as if is no fault of their own and try to blame the left for.

#gmstrong
Swish #2020018 07/12/23 12:23 PM
F
Legend
Legend
F
To be honest, the labor issue in construction has been since COVID. It doesn't seem to make much sense since the state only shut down for a few short weeks, and building has boomed ever since, which is part of the problem. IMO it's not so much that we lost workers, but more that we have more work than the current workers can do. We've had a ton of national builders move in and just plop down subdivision after subdivision (Pulte, Toll Brothers, DeVosta, etc)

Which leads to an issue of con-men entering the market and screwing people over. Add insurance rates which have been going up significantly since Hurricane Irma in 2019, a large part in the way the insurance laws in Florida were written a long time ago. Many people got entire new roofs under the laws, thanks to shady adjusters and scam artists. Hence the change in the law in 2021, which IMO swung the pendulum way to the other side.

And something many people don't seem to really understand, is how different Florida is regionally. There are huge cultural and lifestyle differences just 50-100 miles apart within the state, and the East side of the state tends to be more New York, New Jersey and NE, while the west side tend to be more, Ohio, Indiana, Michigan.

Florida has it's issues like any other state, but it's not the hell hole some seem to think, I've visited much worse places.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
PitDAWG #2020019 07/12/23 12:32 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
What has boggled my mind on the whole immigration debate (and this goes well with current discussion about politicians celebrating bills they voted against) is that with all of the pearl-clutching and hand-wringing and yelling and screaming on the subject for DECADES now, what do we have to show for it? To my knowledge, there hasn't been even 1 legit crack at fixing our immigration processes and policies (since we have a problem with illegal aliens and not legal immigrants).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
dawglover05 #2020022 07/12/23 12:48 PM
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Originally Posted by dawglover05
Hey buddy,

Checked back in and it looks like there is a good return of good posters and conversation, so I will go ahead and throw my name back in the hat.

I texted my best friend in Jacksonville yesterday about the insurance dilemma in Florida. My wife was also born and raised there. Her parents live on the beach between St. Pete and Clearwater.

Anyhow, this is what I texted my friend (who's a Big C Conservative by the way):

DL: "Are insurance rates really going ape(poop) in Florida right now? Seems to be trending but I didn't know if that was true or sensationalized."

Friend: "Yes totally! They are canceling everyone's home insurance every year and you have to get a new company and each company requires you to get an inspection and then send pics of trees near your property and then the insurance company will demand you to have all your trees trimmed (happened to my in-laws). Even if you have a perfectly fine roof and it is over 10 years old some insurance companies are demanding a replacement."

Take that data point for what it's worth.

My in-laws (FiL leans liberal, MiL leans conservative) also complain about DeSantis. FiL complains he's big on form and no substance, which is also what I see from afar. They both are rooted in Florida, but think it has already reached its "apex" and it will start a slow decline if things don't get turned around. They are worried about the environment, too. They said they see the sand-pumping boats off the coast more often now to pump sand back in and keep the shorelines up to snuff from sea erosion. Sargassum has gotten really bad, not only in Florida, but all over the Caribbean. Not much word from the Governor on that front, nor on the insurance front.

Once he runs out of villains to blame, he won't have much of a record to run off of. In fairness, a lot of politicians do that, but he seems to take it next level. I think his biggest concern right now is with his own campaign, because, as of now, it doesn't look like he'll even win his home state (where he is Governor) even in the primaries.

He really had the opportunity to show himself as a rational alternative to Trump, whether or not anyone believed that, but he seemed to double down on the tactic of saying "woke" every other word and going more aggressively after Trump's base. I honestly don't understand his strategy at all, from an objective standpoint.

Farmers Insurance pulls out of Florida, affecting 100,000 policyholders
Jordan Valinsky
By Jordan Valinsky, CNN Business
Published 7:47 AM EDT, Wed July 12, 2023

New York
CNN

Farmers Insurance will stop offering its policies in Florida, including home, auto and umbrella policies, in a change that will force thousands of people to change their insurance provider.

The company said in a statement that its decision to get out of Florida was a business decision necessary to manage its risk exposure in the hurricane-prone state. Farmers serves 100,000 customers in Florida but said there will be no impact to customers who use Farmers’ owned subsidiaries like Foremost Signature and Bristol West.

“Such policies will continue to be available to serve the insurance needs of Floridians,” Farmers Insurance spokesperson Trevor Chapman said in a statement. “Affected customers will receive notifications detailing when their coverage will end and will be advised of options for replacement coverage.”

National insurers don’t have a major presence in Florida, including Farmers, which has barely a 2% share of the state’s insurance market. Florida requires affected policyholders to receive a 120-day notice that their policies aren’t being renewed.

MIAMI, FLORIDA - MARCH 14: A customer looks over merchandise at a store on March 14, 2023 in Miami, Florida. The Labor Department announced that the consumer-price index measured 6% for the year ended in February, down from January's 6.4% and in line with economists' expectations. (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)
Florida is now America's inflation hotspot
“Over the past 18 months in Florida, 15 home insurers have placed moratoriums on writing new business, four carriers have announced plans to voluntarily withdraw from the market and seven companies have been declared insolvent,” Mark Friedlander, a spokesperson for Insurance Information Institute, told CNN. “Currently, there are 18 Florida residential insurers on the state regulator’s watch list due to concerns over their financial health.”

In addition to extreme weather, Florida insurers point to a legal system it says promoted litigation abuse and excess claims.

“This is a man-made crisis,” Friedlander previously told CNN.

The insurance industry pushed for and won a number of reforms meant to curb what it saw as abuse, but so far it hasn’t changed the outlook for insurers, partly because of a flood of nearly 300,000 lawsuits the Insurance Information Institute said was filed just before the law took effect.

“That will muddy the marketplace for years to come,” said Friedlander. “That volume of lawsuits will drive more of these regional companies out of business. The laws have changed. The market conditions have not changed. It’s still a mess.”

Florida’s location and low elevation makes It particularly susceptible to hurricane damage. The Atlantic hurricane season is projected to be normal this year, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, with a 30% chance of an above normal season, and a 30% chance of fewer hurricanes than normal.

Last year was a bad year. Hurricane Ian in late September caused $114 billion in inflation-adjusted damage, according to NOAA, making it the most expensive storm to ever hit the state, and the third most expensive in US history after 2005’s Katrina and 2017’s Harvey.

Earlier this week, Farmers limited new homeowners insurance policies in California because of high costs and wildfire risks. State Farm and Allstate also made similar changes in that state.

oobernoober #2020024 07/12/23 12:49 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
It does seem odd how one side screams about it yet in all the years they've held The White House the most they've done is put a band aid on a bullet wound. I'm still waiting on Mexico to pay for the wall. That's what it sounds like when crazy talks about it. Hell, Reagan pardoned over 2 million of them. I guess that's one way of decreasing the number of illegals in the U.S. naughtydevil

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: oobernoober
FloridaFan #2020029 07/12/23 01:13 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I don't think Florida is a hell hole by any means. My FiL is from Long Island and he nicknamed Tampa the "Sixth Borough" because of all the New York transplants there. One of my big concerns with Florida is that it seems to have a real penchant lately for having lightning rod politicians rise through the ranks. I mean, hell, you have Trump, DeSantis and Gaetz all coming from that state. I don't think you can find a trifecta anywhere in that ballpark (in terms of controversy) anywhere else. It also seems more so that DeSantis has really made the legislature there his subordinate. A lot of his actions (Martha's Vineyard, Disney, etc) seem either illegal, self-serving, or any combination therein. I also don't see much substance from him. Only form and straw villains. I do worry about the political trend currently going on there.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: oobernoober
oobernoober #2020031 07/12/23 01:17 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by oobernoober
What has boggled my mind on the whole immigration debate (and this goes well with current discussion about politicians celebrating bills they voted against) is that with all of the pearl-clutching and hand-wringing and yelling and screaming on the subject for DECADES now, what do we have to show for it? To my knowledge, there hasn't been even 1 legit crack at fixing our immigration processes and policies (since we have a problem with illegal aliens and not legal immigrants).

I certainly think you're right, but I think this can be said about a host of issues where we have very little to nothing to show. I think the gerrymandering and the blind partisanship that you mentioned in the other thread have made our collective politicians stop even trying to find solutions and fixate solely on the blame game, staying in power, and accumulating wealth.

I mean, they could be trying to fix immigration, but I guess it's more of a priority to go after the cheaper political points.

#gmstrong
Swish #2020032 07/12/23 01:18 PM
F
Legend
Legend
F
I don't think I would call Trump a Floridian just because he has a residence here. tongue

As far as DeSantis, most living here don't pay that much attention. You guys seem to know more of what he is doing day to day than most down here do. He seldom even makes the news down here in SWFL.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
FloridaFan #2020033 07/12/23 01:20 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Hey, he put Florida on his ticket for the presidency. He's yours now wink

That's odd about DeSantis. Maybe it's because he's too busy traveling to other states these days.

#gmstrong
FloridaFan #2020036 07/12/23 01:56 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
There may be a reason for that. In a much like trump style of action, he has shown that anyone shows any resistance to his policies or actions, he will bring the entire eight of his political power against them. One such attempted action.......

Ron DeSantis' Media Crackdown Raises Free Speech Alarms

https://www.newsweek.com/ron-desantis-media-crackdown-raises-free-speech-alarms-1788005

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2020155 07/14/23 04:56 PM
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
The bandaid on a bullet wound is because the establishment elites do not want to solve the problem. The bush’s’, Cheneys’, McConnell etc align with the Schumers et al with the big donor class in support of cheap labor. Shoot a few years ago when Dewine was in the senate he was part of a gang of eight trying to pass “comprehensive immigration reform “. When word leaked out that amnesty was involved the dc phone lines erupted and melted down because the vast majority of Americans do not want people who broke our laws sneaking in to be rewarded with citizenship.

Mexico paying for the wall was an easy fix and I think it could have been done executively, though not sure. Tax remittances back to Mexico. I read once the dollars being remitted and it is huge. That tax would have gone a long way to paying for the wall.

Reagan pardoned those millions as a part of a deal with Tip O with the understanding that dems would support funding for border security. Reagan found out dems lie. He later said that was the biggest mistake he made in his political life.

PitDAWG #2020158 07/14/23 06:08 PM
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
I want to thank you lefties for trying to point out to me the horror that it is living in the hellhole that is florida. !!Insurance, roofs hurricanes, workers. Just awful. Strangely for the horror show down here our governor won reelection with oh, about 60% of the vote. Hmm. Sounds like most people are pretty dang happy down here!! Here is the other strange thing. In 2022 about 330,000 American citizens moved in and called Florida home. They know all about hurricanes, roofs, insurance etc. but here they come anyway. Maybe they like the job our governor does s doing. Oddly, in the same 2022, about 350,000 left the lefty nirvana of cali. Hmm!! I think they may know something.

Maybe you guys can move on to some real problem areas next. Portland, Seattle, Frisco, Chicago, Cali. All looney lefty dem run places. They can really use your help.

I do not think there is a lot of sympathy for people here illegally not being able to work. Nor for employers who hire them. I do think there are lots of workers in American legally who would love good paying jobs they can count on. They will step up quickly.

keithfromxenia #2020180 07/15/23 10:50 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Your revisionist history is amazing. What right wing authors did you get that from?

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2020188 07/15/23 11:14 AM
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
That is what polemicists call a “non responsive response”.

keithfromxenia #2020190 07/15/23 11:23 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
And what you posted was "your feelings" with no factual sources to back up your feelings.

#gmstrong
keithfromxenia #2020193 07/15/23 12:30 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by keithfromxenia
Mexico paying for the wall was an easy fix and I think it could have been done executively, though not sure. Tax remittances back to Mexico. I read once the dollars being remitted and it is huge. That tax would have gone a long way to paying for the wall.

Here is a prime example of twisted logic. So if we gave Mexico the money to pay for the wall and they in turn used the money we gave them to pay for the wall in order to pay for the wall, in your mind that would mean Mexico paid for the wall? Good God man.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2020241 07/16/23 12:45 PM
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
I mean no disrespect here but that is the dumbest twisting of what was said that is possible. You need to put on your comprehension hat and reread it. Start with this. Whose money is it?? Then go from there.

PitDAWG #2020242 07/16/23 12:47 PM
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
No feelings there. Just facts. Or are you denying Dewine and the “gang of eight”?

Swish #2020244 07/16/23 01:09 PM
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
You lefties are desperate, I mean desperate, for Floridians to fail, for the state to fail, because that will mean our governor has failed. The left is willing to do anything to sell the idea that florida is failing.

Case in point last week. The Business Insider, a reputable publication, published stats that said in 2021 more people left florida than left New York or Cali. 674,500 I believe was the number , well more than either state. It turns out that the report they got had reversed it, and that was the number coming in to florida, not leaving. The next day the Insider printed a correction. So no big deal.

But three days later, the looney, lefty writer Jennifer Rubin, from the looney lefty paper, the wapo, quoted the original stats to convince people that folks were leaving florida. She lied, she has no integrity. I believe the paper corrected the info the next day but Rubin showed herself to be a liar. Just to try to tear down desantis.

I see it a lot. Every time you read “don’t say gay bill”, every time you read we don’t teach black history in school, every time you read schools cannot teach about slavery in florida, know that it is all looney lefty lies.

keithfromxenia #2020245 07/16/23 01:17 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Spin it any way you want. It's money the U.S. gets from Mexico that you want to hand back to them to pay for trump's wall. You do realize that labor is much cheaper in Mexico, right? I guess we should just hand them that money back that helps level the cost of goods due to them having an unfair advantage in labor costs. But that seems to always be the GOP answer. Let the little guy pay for it.

I do understand how extremists would call a bipartisan immigration bill reached by four Republicans and four Democrats as some evil thing by attaching the word "gang" to it. As we now see, using your ideology is stalling construction work and hurting farmers in Florida because there's nobody left to fill the jobs.

Florida construction and agricultural workforces diminished after new immigration law takes effect

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/flo...ral-workforces-diminished-164807139.html

'People aren't showing up to work,' South Florida workers already feeling heat of immigration bill

https://www.cbsnews.com/miami/news/...lready-feeling-heat-of-immigration-bill/

Congratulations.

#gmstrong
keithfromxenia #2020246 07/16/23 01:29 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
You lefties are desperate, I mean desperate, for Floridians to fail, for the state to fail, because that will mean our governor has failed. The left is willing to do anything to sell the idea that florida is failing.

Case in point last week. The Business Insider, a reputable publication, published stats that said in 2021 more people left florida than left New York or Cali. 674,500 I believe was the number , well more than either state. It turns out that the report they got had reversed it, and that was the number coming in to florida, not leaving. The next day the Insider printed a correction. So no big deal.

But three days later, the looney, lefty writer Jennifer Rubin, from the looney lefty paper, the wapo, quoted the original stats to convince people that folks were leaving florida. She lied, she has no integrity. I believe the paper corrected the info the next day but Rubin showed herself to be a liar. Just to try to tear down desantis.

I see it a lot. Every time you read “don’t say gay bill”, every time you read we don’t teach black history in school, every time you read schools cannot teach about slavery in florida, know that it is all looney lefty lies.

The fact is Florida and other states have worked very hard to keep America's total and true history whitewashed. They don't want the truth to be told because they don't want their children to feel "discomfort or guilt" about their own race.....

Florida bill to shield people from feeling ‘discomfort’ over historic actions by their race, nationality or gender approved by Senate committee

A bill backed by Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis that would prohibit Florida’s public schools and private businesses from making people feel “discomfort” or “guilt” based on their race, sex or national origin received first approval Tuesday by the state’s Senate Education Committee.

The Republican-controlled committee approved the bill with six Republican senators in favor of the bill and three Democratic senators opposed to it.

Although the bill, named “Individual Freedom,” does not mention Critical Race Theory, the term is used in the attached bill analysis that was given to senators.

DeSantis also referred to CRT when he announced the proposed legislation at a media event in December, saying the proposed law would help keep CRT out of the schools and out of the workplace, calling it “state-sanctioned racism” that creates a “hostile work environment.”

Under Florida Department of Education rules that took effect last June, CRT cannot be taught in schools.

Critical Race Theory is a concept that seeks to understand and address inequality and racism in the US. The term also has become politicized and been attacked by its critics as a Marxist ideology that’s a threat to the American way of life.

The legislation would prohibit individuals from making people “feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress on account of his or her race, color, sex, or national origin.”

It would also prohibit employers from providing training or instruction that “espouses, promotes, advances, inculcates, or compels” individuals to believe “that an individual bears responsibility for, or should be discriminated against or receive adverse treatment because of actions committed in the past by other members of the same race, color, sex or national origin.”

Instructors would be able to address topics of sexism, slavery, racial oppression, racial segregation, racial discrimination in an age-appropriate manner. However, the bill states that“classroom instruction and curriculum may not be used to indoctrinate or persuade students to a particular point of view inconsistent with the principles of this subsection or state academic standards.”

What the hell does that even mean? The wording is totally subjective depending on who you ask.

Democratic State Senator Shevrin Jones, the committee’s vice chair and its only Black member, told CNN by phone that the bill is an attempt to revise history and keep White people from feeling uncomfortable.

“This isn’t even a ban on Critical Race Theory, this is a ban on Black history,” he said. “They are talking about not wanting White people to feel uncomfortable? Let’s talk about being uncomfortable. My ancestors were uncomfortable when they were stripped away from their children.”

In a statement emailed to CNN, DeSantis press secretary Christina Pushaw said the governor’s position was that “discrimination based on race, color, sex, and national origin” had no place in Florida.

The bill “makes clear that no Floridian – student, worker, or anyone else – should be subjected to discriminatory content and rhetoric,” she wrote.

“Every Floridian deserves an equal shot at success, regardless of skin color. This means considering each person as an individual with unique attributes, experiences, and aspirations, rather than stereotyping them as a member of this or that identity group,” she said.

Pushaw added: “It is frankly disturbing that anyone would find these ideas controversial in the year 2022.”

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/19/us/florida-education-critical-race-theory-bill/index.html

BTW- since you wish to talk about dishonestly in the media, do I need to remind you about the $787.5 million settlement with Dominion Voting Systems by FOX News? You seem to try and portray things as a one way street here.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2020249 07/16/23 02:36 PM
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
I cannot decide if you are being deliberately obtuse or just trying to obfuscate the issue because you know it is a loser. As I said earlier start with the money. It is not your money not my money not government money not taxpayer money. It is money these folks worked for in the private sector, a voluntary exchange of their skills and effort for compensation. You get that part right??

In turn many remit a substantial portion of their money back across the border to family. That money will have left the country. We can tax that money and apply it to border security. Makes perfect sense.

And if you really want “comprehensive immigration reform “ call your lefties in Washington. Every attempt to pass such has included amnesty for the millions of illegals in America. The vast majority of Americans oppose that so drop it and something can move forward.

And my “ideology” is pretty simple. If you are not entitled to be here legally get the hell out.

keithfromxenia #2020251 07/16/23 02:51 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Seems odd you would say that. Republicans have refused to bring immigration reform to the floor.

"They found 60 votes in the Senate in 2006 and 2013" for immigration legislation, and "each time the House Republican majority refused to take it up."

Did Senate pass immigration bills in 2006, 2013 and House failed to vote on them?

In a discussion about the recent three-day government shutdown — due to lawmakers' disagreement over federal funding and policies for young immigrants in the country illegally, so-called Dreamers — pundit Ronald Brownstein said that while many Americans want Dreamers to stay, it’s unclear if that can be achieved.

Twice before, senators have agreed on immigration reform, but each time, the prospect fell through without action from the U.S. House of Representatives, said Brownstein, a senior political analyst for CNN.

"They probably can find 60 votes in the Senate to do that. They found 60 votes in the Senate in 2006 and 2013 for immigration reform. And each time the House Republican majority refused to take it up," said Brownstein, who’s also senior editor at The Atlantic. "Without the president's leverage, without him leaning on House Republicans, you could easily see the same thing again."

The Dreamers are in limbo after the Trump administration rescinded a program that prevented their deportation. President Donald Trump has tweeted that "nobody knows for sure" if a deal will be reached and that it must include funding for his border wall with Mexico.

Is Brownstein right about the 2006 and 2013 immigration push? He’s got his history right, and we thought it was worth reviewing in depth.

May 2006: Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2006, 62-36

The Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2006 passed in the Senate on May 25, 2006, along a 62-36 vote. The bill included provisions to strengthen border security with fencing, vehicle barriers, surveillance technology and more personnel; a new temporary worker visa category; and a path to legal status for immigrants in the country illegally if they met specific criteria.

Then-President George W. Bush commended the Senate "for passing bipartisan comprehensive immigration reform" and said he looked forward to working with both chambers.

But the bill was never taken up by the House. The House in December 2005 passed a separate bill with greater focus on border security and enforcement, the Border Protection, Antiterrorism, and Illegal Immigration Control Act of 2005. That proposal narrowed in on employment eligibility verification; immigration fraud; and immigration enforcement authority at state and local levels. It did not include a guest worker program or the legalization of immigrants.

Instead of voting on the Senate bill, House Republican leaders held a series of summer "field hearings" to get the public to weigh in on controversial provisions in the Senate bill, which Republicans labeled as amnesty.

''Our No. 1 priority is to secure the border,'' then-House Speaker Dennis Hastert, of Illinois, said in June 2006. "And right now I haven't heard a lot of pressure to have a path to citizenship.''

In September 2006, after meeting with Republican leaders, Hastert said they agreed "that we cannot support totally" a lot of the provisions in the Senate bill, because it "would not secure the border. Matter of fact, it erased the border."

Lawmakers from both chambers never formed a conference committee to iron out the details in both bills and the proposals expired at the end of the 109th Congress.
June 2013: Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act, 68-32

Backed by Democrats and 14 Republicans, the Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act passed the Senate on a 68-32 vote on June 27, 2013.

The bill directed the Secretary of Homeland Security to submit two reports on border security strategy, including one on where fencing, infrastructure and technology should be used; authorized the use of the National Guard to help secure the border; called for an increase in the number of Border Patrol agents at the southern border, and other border security measures.

It also included provisions to allow immigrants in the country illegally to adjust their immigration status, if they met certain criteria.

"The bipartisan bill that passed today was a compromise … Today, the Senate did its job. It’s now up to the House to do the same," said then-President Barack Obama.

But House Republicans again opposed the Senate immigration proposal, arguing that border security needed to be addressed first before legalizing the status of millions of immigrants.

"I’ve made it clear and I’ll make it clear again, the House does not intend to take up the Senate bill," then-House Speaker John Boehner said July 2013. "The House is going to do its own job in developing an immigration bill."

He reiterated his position in November 2013: "The idea that we’re going to take up a 1,300-page bill that no one had ever read, which is what the Senate did, is not going to happen in the House," Boehner said. "And frankly, I’ll make clear we have no intention of ever going to conference on the Senate bill."
Our ruling

Brownstein said, "They found 60 votes in the Senate in 2006 and 2013" for immigration legislation, and "each time the House Republican majority refused to take it up."

Senators did pass immigration bills in 2006 and 2013 with 62 and 68 votes, respectively. Both times, House Republicans did not address the proposals on the House floor.

We rate Brownstein’s claim True.

https://www.politifact.com/factchec...s-pass-immigration-reform-bills-2006-20/

It seems as though it's the party you are touting here that can't seem to get their act together on immigration reform. And now you can explain your thoughts to the farmers and construction companies in Florida.

So how are you going to monitor and keep records on "Who is sending money back to Mexico"? Create a new agency to open their mail? New government employees to monitor wire transfers? Your proposal is much like marijuana laws. Creating laws that are impossible to enforce. And may even cost more to enforce than you would collect in revenue. Where do you come up with this BS?

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2020253 07/16/23 03:03 PM
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
That is because it is the “people’ house and it reflects the will of the people. And they he people say no amnesty for illegals. How many of those bills did not include amnesty for illegals currently in the country?

keithfromxenia #2020254 07/16/23 03:19 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
You keep saying that but it took the majority in both parts of congress, including some Republicans to approve it in the first place. So in actuality the majority of people's representatives supported it and the minority of their representatives opposed it. The "people's house" would indicate that if both the house and the senate approved it, it should come to the floor for a vote. But then again "The People's house" was the same thing we heard the Jan. 6th rioters who for the first time in American history interrupted the peaceful transfer of power used an excuse for their actions as well.

#gmstrong
keithfromxenia #2020276 07/17/23 11:45 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

I actually find your posting style to be a textbook example of the modern political epidemic. You believe there is a zero sum game, that there is only the "looney left" and the right, which I am assuming is justified in your mind. That anyone liberal wants Floridians to fail.

I do not want Florida to fail. I do not want Texas to fail, nor New York, California, any of those places. They are all part of the United States. I think that you are correct that there is a high level of schadenfreude that exists, but I think that it would be hypocritical for you to say that your views and writings on this message board present you any differently from those you are intending to combat.

One other thing that I do not understand is the bannerism that exists in politics, as exemplified in your post. You mention that people want DeSantis to fail after they have cited criticism of him. When it comes to thinks like insurance, his silence on certain issues, his unending war against Disney, his mandated tweaks of the law to keep less things from the public, and his sending of immigrants from a non-Floridian state to a non-Floridian state using Florida tax dollars, are those not fair criticisms or issues to cite? When I presented my first post on this board, I mentioned ver batim things I had heard from Floridian citizens. Not sure why that is "looney lefty" considering 2 out of the 3 people I mentioned voted DeSantis.

I don't think most people want DeSantis to fail. One, I think he's doing that all on his own, as far as the presidency goes. I was hoping he would at least present himself as a rational-minded alternative to Trump, because he's obviously smarter, at least. However, his strategy was extremely poor, and the shakeup in his staff demonstrates that. Two, you have to agree that, of the people who do want him to fail, a significant amount of them now are Trump supporters, and Trump himself. Not exactly a "looney left" thing. Three, are we really pretending that he, too, is not part of that "donor class" that you mentioned?

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: GMdawg
Swish #2020551 07/20/23 03:34 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Florida Board of Education approves new Black history standards that critics call ‘a big step backward’

The Florida Board of Education approved a new set of standards for how Black history should be taught in the state’s public schools, sparking criticism from education and civil rights advocates who said students should be allowed to learn the “full truth” of American history.

The curriculum was approved at the board’s meeting Wednesday in Orlando.

It is the latest development in the state’s ongoing debate over African American history, including the education department’s rejection of a preliminary pilot version of an Advanced Placement African American Studies course for high school students, which it claimed lacked educational value.

The new standards come after the state passed new legislation under Gov. Ron DeSantis that bars instruction in schools that suggests anyone is privileged or oppressed based on their race or skin color. DeSantis has used his fight against “wokeness” to boost his national profile amid a national discussion of how racism and history should be taught in schools.

The new standards require instruction for middle school students to include “how slaves developed skills which, in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit,” a document listing the standards and posted in the Florida Department of Education website said.

When high school students learn about events such as the 1920 Ocoee massacre, the new rules require that instruction include “acts of violence perpetrated against and by African Americans.” The massacre is considered the deadliest Election Day violence in US history and, according to several histories of the incident, it started when Moses Norman, a prominent Black landowner in the Ocoee, Florida, community, attempted to cast his ballot and was turned away by White poll workers.

Similar standards are noted for lessons about other massacres, including the Atlanta race massacre, the Tulsa race massacre and the Rosewood race massacre.

“Our children deserve nothing less than truth, justice, and the equity our ancestors shed blood, sweat, and tears for,” Derrick Johnson, president and CEO of the NAACP, said in a statement condemning the new standards. “It is imperative that we understand that the horrors of slavery and Jim Crow were a violation of human rights and represent the darkest period in American history.”

“We are proud of the rigorous process that the Department took to develop these standards,” Alex Lanfranconi, director of communications for the Florida Department of Education, said in a statement, noting the standards were created by a group of 13 educators and academics.

“It’s sad to see critics attempt to discredit what any unbiased observer would conclude to be in-depth and comprehensive African American History standards. They incorporate all components of African American History: the good, the bad and the ugly. These standards will further cement Florida as a national leader in education, as we continue to provide true and accurate instruction in African American History,” Lanfranconi said.

The Florida Education Association, a statewide teachers union, called the new standards a disservice to students and “a big step backward for a state that has required teaching African American history since 1994.”

“How can our students ever be equipped for the future if they don’t have a full, honest picture of where we’ve come from? Florida’s students deserve a world-class education that equips them to be successful adults who can help heal our nation’s divisions rather than deepen them,” Andrew Spar, the association’s president, said in a statement. “Gov. DeSantis is pursuing a political agenda guaranteed to set good people against one another, and in the process he’s cheating our kids. They deserve the full truth of American history, the good and the bad,” Spar added.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/20/us/florida-black-history-education-standards-reaj/index.html

MURICA!

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2020552 07/20/23 04:06 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Florida Board of Education approves new Black history standards that critics call ‘a big step backward’

The Florida Board of Education approved a new set of standards for how Black history should be taught in the state’s public schools, sparking criticism from education and civil rights advocates who said students should be allowed to learn the “full truth” of American history.

The curriculum was approved at the board’s meeting Wednesday in Orlando.

It is the latest development in the state’s ongoing debate over African American history, including the education department’s rejection of a preliminary pilot version of an Advanced Placement African American Studies course for high school students, which it claimed lacked educational value.

The new standards come after the state passed new legislation under Gov. Ron DeSantis that bars instruction in schools that suggests anyone is privileged or oppressed based on their race or skin color. DeSantis has used his fight against “wokeness” to boost his national profile amid a national discussion of how racism and history should be taught in schools.

The new standards require instruction for middle school students to include “how slaves developed skills which, in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit,” a document listing the standards and posted in the Florida Department of Education website said.

When high school students learn about events such as the 1920 Ocoee massacre, the new rules require that instruction include “acts of violence perpetrated against and by African Americans.” The massacre is considered the deadliest Election Day violence in US history and, according to several histories of the incident, it started when Moses Norman, a prominent Black landowner in the Ocoee, Florida, community, attempted to cast his ballot and was turned away by White poll workers.

Similar standards are noted for lessons about other massacres, including the Atlanta race massacre, the Tulsa race massacre and the Rosewood race massacre.

“Our children deserve nothing less than truth, justice, and the equity our ancestors shed blood, sweat, and tears for,” Derrick Johnson, president and CEO of the NAACP, said in a statement condemning the new standards. “It is imperative that we understand that the horrors of slavery and Jim Crow were a violation of human rights and represent the darkest period in American history.”

“We are proud of the rigorous process that the Department took to develop these standards,” Alex Lanfranconi, director of communications for the Florida Department of Education, said in a statement, noting the standards were created by a group of 13 educators and academics.

“It’s sad to see critics attempt to discredit what any unbiased observer would conclude to be in-depth and comprehensive African American History standards. They incorporate all components of African American History: the good, the bad and the ugly. These standards will further cement Florida as a national leader in education, as we continue to provide true and accurate instruction in African American History,” Lanfranconi said.

The Florida Education Association, a statewide teachers union, called the new standards a disservice to students and “a big step backward for a state that has required teaching African American history since 1994.”

“How can our students ever be equipped for the future if they don’t have a full, honest picture of where we’ve come from? Florida’s students deserve a world-class education that equips them to be successful adults who can help heal our nation’s divisions rather than deepen them,” Andrew Spar, the association’s president, said in a statement. “Gov. DeSantis is pursuing a political agenda guaranteed to set good people against one another, and in the process he’s cheating our kids. They deserve the full truth of American history, the good and the bad,” Spar added.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/20/us/florida-black-history-education-standards-reaj/index.html

MURICA!

Do you think the real black history included that the KKK was founded by the Democrat party? I doubt it. What they are trying to teach is indoctrination. Nothing more, nothing less.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Swish #2020565 07/20/23 06:46 PM
Legend
Legend
Do you think the real black history included that the KKK was founded by the Democrat party? I doubt it.

This half-assed trope is tired and worn out- and now it's getting called out.

Anyone who stayed awake from 1960 'til now knows that. They also know that all those Southern racists jumped to the GOP as soon as the Equal Rights Act and Voter's Rights Act were penned. Do yourself a favor: Google Richard Nixon's "Southern strategy."

Never mind. I'll do it for you, thereby eliminating any excuse you might try to conjure up.
Added bonus: others can click on it, too.

Making statements like yours just makes a person look simple.

This is your clue---> CLICK HERE

Perhaps it would make more of an impression if it was typed out on paper, and wrapped around a brick.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Swish #2020566 07/20/23 06:46 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
No the Republicans aren’t fascist American domestic terrorists… They just make all the moves a NAZI regime would make. Anybody still rooting for that party is straight trash in my book. And I’m not talking John Q. Public Republicans, I’m talking the MAGATs that have invaded our government at all levels. But if you are John Q and you support them, well you know what you are.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 07/20/23 06:49 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Florida

Link Copied to Clipboard