Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2020196 07/15/23 01:10 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
The first two games are the Bengals at home.

Then we play the Steelers away on Monday Night.

Imagine the difference between being 2-0 and 0-2 .

In all honesty it could go either way. Division games are hard fought and close.

If we were to win that first game at home and then beat the Steelers on Monday Night. It would be like early Christmas. Singing in the streets.
The Buzz would be "oh boy." We are on our way.

0-2. Every negative poster would have a field day. "Fire everyone. We suck. We will always suck. Never get your hopes up for this team."
Trade Deshaun Watson. Haslam swung and missed. Sell the team.

1-1. And the tone would be halfway between the two.

Since I am basking in how good the Braves are. I have a fallback.

But damn what a beautiful day for a daydream starting out 2-0 in division play.

bonefish #2020202 07/15/23 01:29 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
If the Browns can't beat the Steelers with a still developing Pickett at QB it could be a very long season. If they don't come out of those two games at least 1-1 it could spell a lot of trouble on the horizon.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2020206 07/15/23 03:37 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
If the Browns can't beat the Steelers with a still developing Pickett at QB it could be a very long season. If they don't come out of those two games at least 1-1 it could spell a lot of trouble on the horizon.

I agree... I would love 2-0 but my expectations are 1-1.... if our offense is clicking to start the season we should be able to beat Bengals at home.... but they are still the best team in the AFC north..

Pittsburgh at their place at night is a tough place to win... but our defense should give Pickett a tough time...

<><

#gmstrong
jaybird #2020214 07/15/23 04:29 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Of course anything could happen.

But the difference between 0-2 and 2-0 if either happens is huge.

I mean like light and darkness.

Browns fans are so temperamental. Because of our last 20 years or so we have become Chicken Little.

Going 0-2. I don't think I want to visit this Board. I will suffer on my own.

2-0. I will want 3-0 and so on and so forth.

2 members like this: FORTBROWNFAN, Steubenvillian
bonefish #2020226 07/16/23 03:02 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
I'm not going to get into a guessing game on how the season will go, or the first 2 games. I think like most seasons 0-2 will bring some cries that the skybhas fallen. 2-0 might bring some that will think we are bound for a deep run in the playoffs.

The reality concerning Watson is that we can go 0-2 on the back of him playing well or even great. And we can go 2-0 off the back of him playing badly. I'll judge him based on his performances. And if he plays badly then maybe you look at last year and see if he's playing at the same level or if there had been improvement... It won't be conclusive either way.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
bonefish #2020228 07/16/23 04:02 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
It's on Kevin Stefanski doing the right thing, and the kicker making kicks,
they cost the team games last year b/c they didn't do enough to win games fifty to nothing.

That should be the goal, put up 52 points plus, every week.

Aim for fifty two, to end up with 28, instead of thirteen. Otherwise there is no talent on earth the analytics group could win it all with.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
bonefish #2020257 07/16/23 04:47 PM
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I think there will be alot of pressure on the Browns
To come out the gate strong. Defensive overhaul. New targets
On offense. Stefanski trying to go from
A ground and pound offense to a Air Raid
Offense.

If the Browns go 2-0 it will give the locker room
A serious jolt of confidence
But 0-2 that's really 0-4 cause it's a division
Game and you have to factor in playoff
Tie breakers. 0-2 and this team probably
Misses the playoffs

Legend
OP Online
Legend
In a 17 game schedule every game is important.

Starting out 0-2 and both games in the North. Bad mojo.

I expect the Browns to be competitive. But competitive does not always mean victory.

There is talent all over the NFL. It is hard to win games. This season will tell about the strength of the organization.

bonefish #2020265 07/17/23 09:26 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
mood swing - well my year of the worst trade ever has passed. I'm done with that attitude. The trade is done and I can't change anything. I like the moves we have made but can we trust the practices from Stefanski? In other words will we be able to execute. I'm pretty set with Schwartz getting the D side of the balll in sync Can Ski do like wise with the O. I'm really hopng Bubba caan get the special teams rocking that will be very key. Looking at game replays from those Schottenhimer teams man were they dominant!

2 up for HOF 2024 Schott and C Matthews Jr.

Bud Carson did well also in his couple of years. Loved his 46 defense which should be similar to what we will see here. Turnovers galore . So two games does not make a season. 2-0 will have all sky high as long as we don't go over board. 0-2 will suck for sure but we can climb out of that Hole. Wish Watson can make that open apology to those women then I can get behind him 100% and not just behind the team and live with him. bad trade good trade I'm done with the lamenting now its up to Ski to not just look the part of a HC but be one like our dynasty builder Schott what a good HC looking back.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
1 member likes this: bonefish
bonefish #2020266 07/17/23 09:32 AM
Legend
Legend
I'm pessimistic by nature of being a Browns fan. Until they prove otherwise, I can't give us the benefit of the doubt.

I know we've beaten the Bengals the past few years, but I still would be surprised if we do again. They are good.

We don't have much success in Pittsburgh either lol.

It's certainly a really, really tough opening few games

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
bonefish #2020289 07/17/23 04:16 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hot Take:

3 of the first 4 Cleveland Browns games are against division rivals.

Week 1 Cincinnati Bengals
Week 2 Pittsburgh Steelers
Week 4 Baltimore Ravens

After week 4 we will know if Stefanski still has a job especially with week 5 being the bye

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
1 member likes this: Halfback32
bonefish #2020291 07/17/23 04:34 PM
Legend
Legend
there's a lot on the table for us before October

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I sure hope we win.

I am too old to go through a rebuild. The thought of it all going wrong sickens me.

Just the idea of hunting for a GM and or head coach is enough to make me hurl.

I want to go well so badly.

All that has happened to get to this point. The merry-go round of quarterbacks and head coaches. Gezz.

Starting over to me at this point is going in reverse.

DW needs to be the guy we traded for. The coaching staff needs to get the team ready right out of the gate.

Weird here I sit following the best team in baseball daily. The Braves are a model organization. They seem to do everything the right way. And they win.

The Browns are like heartburn. Like acid eating away at you. You plead and beg and hope.

I try to look at the team objectively. I see enough talent for them to be good. But the NFL is really hard. No game is a given. Every week is important.

It would be dreamlike to wake up after 17 games and be the winners of the North. Then go roaring into the playoffs like a thunderhead.

Wake me up when that happens.

bonefish #2020306 07/17/23 06:19 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
We will all feel the pressure this season. Players, coaching staff, Jimmy Haslam, the FO, even we, the poor fans.

We’re getting to close to having good players passing their prime, so the time to win is now.

All we can focus on now, in terms of the regular season, is the opener. The FO did about as much as they could to this off-season: they filled holes on D, drafted with a similar mindset.
Three things will determine 2023 for the Browns: health, the play of our QB, and what Jim Schwartz can do for our D.

Our QB has to be at his best, if not, we will struggle. If Watson can revert to form, we will win a lot of games and might nail down a Super Bowl.
Gonna be interesting, dont stress out in mid July about the first few weeks.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
2 members like this: bonefish, Homewood Dog
bonefish #2020320 07/18/23 08:23 AM
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
The 1st 5 games will determine the season. Divisional games plus the 49ers
Anything less than 3 and 2 in that stretch and this team
Is in a serious uphill battle the rest of the season.

I know a win is a win but the Browns are going to have
To show some examples of dominance.
Very rarely since 99 have the Browns dominated the other
Team for 4 quarters.

It's going to have to take all 53 on board for this team
To get to the playoffs. This team has failed to succeed
When doing the little things under Stefanski

P
Legend
Legend
P
A win is a win whether it's by 1 point or 30. In 2022 the Vikings won 66.7% of the time when trailing at the start of the 4th Quarter. They had nine comeback victories last season in games when they were trailing in the second half. Their fans, coaches, FO nor the record books care that they weren't dominating those games. As always there's only one qualifier. Just win baby!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
2 members like this: Ballpeen, bugs
bonefish #2020344 07/18/23 11:15 AM
Legend
Legend
I agree w/the idea that the time is NOW. We have a group of players (Garrett, Chubb, Cooper, Ward, Teller, Bitonio, etc) that have windows of their prime ... and we supposedly have a FQB. Not winning this year is a disaster.

bonefish #2020388 07/19/23 07:51 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
I would like to see us go all out spread offense that is my mood swing. From the get go. Chubb lone RB but have Elija Moore in the slot with a lot of motion and even counter tosses to him as a RB jet sweep you know how we should have used Metcalf back in the day (he was ahead of his times).

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

1 member likes this: Day of the Dawg
eotab #2020390 07/19/23 08:19 AM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I think you will not be disappointed.

I can envision what the offense will look like. I expect to see 3 and 4 receivers packages. Guys in motion. Mostly shotgun. RPO's.

Fast fire offense. Ball out quickly. Chubb from the gun as lone back. Chubb in screens. Heavy use of TE's.

I expect (in certain situations) designed runs by DW.

No doubt the offense will be up tempo and we will stretch the field. Goodwin will be used as will Moore on vertical routes. DW is an excellent deep thrower.

DPJ and Cooper are really good route runners. They will be used to space the offense like quartering the field.

We should be able to scheme open guys on rub routes. The offense will be versatile with many options.

I am curious about the defense. It all begins with the front. Pressure, pressure, pressure. Get up field. Keep the front fresh.

I really want to see how we pressure quarterbacks. Mid level and secondary is about coverage. I expect more man coverage.

The front has to get up field. Camp will emphasize rushing the passer.

Getting down to go time. Once Camp begins. It flies by.

eotab #2020391 07/19/23 08:54 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by eotab
I would like to see us go all out spread offense that is my mood swing. From the get go. Chubb lone RB but have Elija Moore in the slot with a lot of motion and even counter tosses to him as a RB jet sweep you know how we should have used Metcalf back in the day (he was ahead of his times).

We will.

If I had to watch a game with no passing or no running, I choose to never see a back on the field.

I think you know, i have been a spread the field type for years.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
bonefish #2020395 07/19/23 09:32 AM
Legend
Legend
there is a reason we haven't made backup RB a big priority. Either we don't want to waste the $ on a vet, think Ford can do it, or simply know we won't be running as much. Maybe a combo of all 3

Ballpeen #2020398 07/19/23 09:47 AM
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

We will.

If I had to watch a game with no passing or no running, I choose to never see a back on the field.

This might be the offense that Stefanski has always wanted to run
The spread offense 11 personal like the Bengals Bills run but Baker
Really limited what KS could scheme up.

Ballpeen #2020461 07/19/23 04:42 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

We will.

We don't have to go crazy deep into the playbook its all about execution. K.I.S.S.. execute the plays we got spread it vertical - spread it horizontal.

jmho keep them guessing.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

bonefish #2020464 07/19/23 06:02 PM
Legend
Legend
Like the offensive setup you describe. I immediately see Chubb on some draws, wheels, and screens. He will be tough to handle. This group seems built for screens; I think they can be devastating. Go, Browns.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Dawgs4Life #2020488 07/19/23 11:33 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
there is a reason we haven't made backup RB a big priority. Either we don't want to waste the $ on a vet, think Ford can do it, or simply know we won't be running as much. Maybe a combo of all 3

we absolutely will be running a lot... I think we hope Ford will be a good second option... but Watson will also end up with a few called run plays as well...

<><

#gmstrong
jaybird #2020498 07/20/23 10:04 AM
Legend
Legend
I hope we need to run effectively this year. We can never hurt an opponent in too many ways. I think it will be a necessity in bad weather off the lake, and we hopefully need it to close out games. Watson's ability to run should be part of that. Do we need to sweat the backup? Some. Play your best; plan for the worst. I think we may have an edge with all the new stuff we will field this year, making opponents plan for more things, and for different looks, plays, personnel. But nobody has to honor your threat until you hurt someone with it, which we have failed to do. Make the other guy perform and adjust to you, pressuring him. I feel pretty good about us with a new D; I hope this offense as called can keep up. Go, Browns!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Bard Dawg #2020556 07/20/23 04:28 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Bard Dawg
Like the offensive setup you describe. I immediately see Chubb on some draws, wheels, and screens. He will be tough to handle. This group seems built for screens; I think they can be devastating. Go, Browns.

I agree. I am just not sure that Nick is all that good of a receiver, but he does catch the ball, so that is something we can work on.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #2020562 07/20/23 05:05 PM
Legend
Legend
The idea of getting him the ball outside in clear space makes me drool. I like his chances against corners, safeties. When Watson rolls and sprints outside. simple passes should offer YAC if he drops the ball over defenders. Long day outside.

bonefish #2020564 07/20/23 06:15 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I almost always make a small wager on the Browns on Monday night games. One of the things I’ve found so frustrating about the browns in years past is how they would rise to the occasion in national games, showing what they were really capable of, only to sink back into mediocrity in the other games. The Bengals are slow season starters and I think the Stealers may struggle this year. I hope so anyway. I’m usually perceived as a negative Nancy (I think I’m a faithful rationalist) but I’m thinking the Browns may well come out hot this year. Where it goes? Only the football gods know.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
They have got to come out hot. If they do and win 3 of 4, it's on from there

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
bonefish #2020582 07/20/23 07:33 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
We better be 2-0! The Bengals couldn’t beat a Baker led team, and neither would these Steelers. Watson’s rust excuse is ancient history now.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Steubenvillian
They have got to come out hot. If they do and win 3 of 4, it's on from there

I understand the feeling, though 2-2 would work.

You don't win the Superbowl in the first 4 weeks of the season. To me the important number is the total number of regular season wins. It's a long season. Other teams have to win their games as well.

I will say if we are 1-3 or 0-4, it probably isn't going to add up. That will lead to a bye week coaching change. If that happens I might as well equip my weekend travel suitcase for weekend trips to Nashville, Mobile, or New Orleans and forget about the remaining trips up to Cleveland for games.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #2020597 07/21/23 06:28 AM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Speaking for myself. I feel pretty good about our chances.

Overall we have and have had a pretty good team since 2020 when we get good quarterback play.

We all know the importance of DW playing up to his potential. We made a huge investment to get him. Now is the time for him to play to expectations.

Personally I don't think it will be a problem. I see no reason for him not playing well.

That being the case. We will have a good season.

I have deep respect for the overall talent and the coaching in the NFL. There is big time talent all over the place. So I know it will not be easy. Hard to win games.

I am ready to kick start the season with Camp beginning tomorrow.

bonefish #2020602 07/21/23 07:33 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Go Browns!

Maybe this is the year we become a solid contender.

That is all I want. Just be a solid contender. If you do that then your chances are as good as anyone else. Then you just see where the chips fall.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #2020604 07/21/23 07:41 AM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
That is about it.

Line up and see what happens.

When you look at how close games are. And how evenly the talent is spread around. You hope you get some breaks in how injury factors. And the players who are expected to play well do just that.

bonefish #2020758 07/22/23 10:21 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I see one of three things happening this year.

1) Watson stinks it up and we suck.

2) Watson returns to great form and we go deep into the playoffs.

3) Watson is great but Ski proves he’s not a good HC and next year we have a new HC.

OldColdDawg #2020772 07/23/23 07:13 AM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
If DW is great. I do not think KS will somehow be bad.

KS will have to contribute in order for DW to play well.

IMO we will need to be lucky with injuries and win some close games.

The schedule is a gauntlet. The North alone is tough. The AFC is loaded.

It is not just quarterback play. You have to be a good team.

The Browns will have to prove that their defense can stop teams.

bonefish #2020777 07/23/23 08:03 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree. It isn't all or nothing at the QB position.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #2020787 07/23/23 09:57 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
230 million dollars says the Browns feel differently about that.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2020788 07/23/23 10:21 AM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
It is still a team game.

There is offense, defense, and special teams.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Mood Swing

Link Copied to Clipboard