Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
I was thinking the other day of what current Browns backup could take the next step and possibly inject themselves into the lineup as a starter or consistent rotation piece based on position. I've tried to stay away from rookies and moreso thought of players slowly making their mark on the team but many of these starting roles are pretty much solidified. Obviously talent plays a part, but so can opportunity as it relates to injury or lack of talent in a position group. Chances of this are usually low but here are my two:

Tony Fields- I'm not sure why he immediately came to my mind when thinking about this topic, but I think this guy flashed a bit and made some plays towards the end of the season after the LB corp was riddled with injuries. As a group, I think the LB position is most prime to have some challenger(s) change the status quo in terms of starters.

Perrion Winfrey- Tomlinson is the assumed staple inside. You have Jordan Elliot as a spot holder and you drafted Ika for the possible future. That said, if Winfrey stays away from trouble and focus on the game, I think he can be a real disruptor inside and keep some other guys at bay. I'm also going to guess Winfrey is on the list for others as well.

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: CapCity Dawg, WSU Willie
Legend
Legend
I agree with you on Fields and Winfrey.

I would add Dawand Jones at tackle.

I am not comfortable with our tackles. Conklin as been injured a lot and he is coming off a serious patella tendon injury.

Wills although still young as not lived up to his draft status. He has been serviceable but also injured.

Someone during this year may get thrown into playing one or both tackle positions.

Jones is a rookie. It has been reported he could be a steal in this draft. We may find out.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I feel the same about our OT's. The way the DL was our Achilles heal last season I feel the OL, especially the tackles could be that this season. Heck, we couldn't keep the line healthy last season. I'd feel better if we could pick up a vet or 2 after final cuts in August but that's probably a pipe dream. We'll have to go with what we have.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Winfrey cant get out of his own way. He is more likely to self destruct than to be successful as a player.

I will go with Hurst.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
I feel the same about our OT's. The way the DL was our Achilles heal last season I feel the OL, especially the tackles could be that this season. Heck, we couldn't keep the line healthy last season. I'd feel better if we could pick up a vet or 2 after final cuts in August but that's probably a pipe dream. We'll have to go with what we have.

We could find some vets. The question would be are they better than the guy they replace?

And better encompasses more than just better this year, but also as a prospect 2-3 years down the road. They are back-ups, so one has to look at them with future value as well. I don't know how interested we would be in a one and done player for a back-up position. Any one and done player would probably be looked at more for a starting job.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
My idea is to get 1 or 2 vets in case our starters on the O-line, especially OT go down. I really believe we have as much talent on this team as our "86 and "87 teams. No one is talking about us when they talk about legit contenders in the AFC. I'm glad that's the case. I believe we are a sleeper team in the AFC. If we get good solid QB play, our D plays well and we can avoid major injuries we can compete with anyone in our conference. We won 7 games last year, should have been 9, with all those injuries and a lousy D. 10 or 11 wins this year is within reach. JMO

B
Legend
Legend
B
No real disagreement. As i said before, it would just depend on who we might bring in, which would cause somebody to be cut. You would have to weight the plusses and minuses.

I'd like to have starting capable back-ups at every position, but as you know, that isn't really possible. At some point you have to bank on young guys stepping up.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
I’m going to go D’Anthony Bell, Safety. I think with the addition’s of Thornhill and McCloud, he will make huge strides as a player. Then Ill say for next season Ronnie Hickman will make the same strides. And we don’t re-sign Delpit.

I also think Dawand Jones will break out, I think Wills will struggle, and Jones steps in and has a 10yr career in Cleveland as our LT. Which means we will trade Wills in the offseason

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
Winfrey cant get out of his own way. He is more likely to self destruct than to be successful as a player.

A point that seems quite valid at this juncture. And one reason that makes this so sad. There is no doubt that if he applied himself and focused on the game his potential is amazing. We've watched too many times young men such as him have made this same mistake. It's why I find it hard not to root for him to turn things around. Not only would it be beneficial for his life, but would make the Browns better as well.

The talent is there and what he decides to do with it is on him.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Jerome Ford. I expect him to have a substantially increased role in the offense and a chance to establish himself as an important piece to the future of the team.

Legend
Legend
I am in lock step with you.

I like Ford. Chubb and the money will be in question next year. Ford has to establish himself. Camp will be important for him as the number two.

M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Jerome Ford. I expect him to have a substantially increased role in the offense and a chance to establish himself as an important piece to the future of the team.

Ford is a good one, for sure. I'm curious to see how Stefanski uses Ford if the RB room ends up being the same as it is today.

The split was very different between Hunt and Chubb in 2021 vs 2022. Chubb was 8th in carries in 2021 and 3rd in 2022. With the assumption that the offense is going to pass more, maybe that means more opportunities for Ford as Chubb has been inconsistent, at best, in the passing game. Or maybe the team will run Chubb into the ground if they think this could be his last year if not for a contract restructure?

Either way, it spells an opportunity for Ford. (Go UC!)

Tackles are tackles.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Ford, what did he do to beat out Kareem Hunt? for a starting role,
or how did he beat out D'Ernest Johnson, or even John Kelly?

But, he was, Ford was a draft pick and that means whatever,
well, Justin Gilbert was a draft pick and Trent Richardson was one too, both Ist rounders.

I want to see what Isaiah ? the one from Oklahoma, on his 2nd+ year at DE, I want to see more from him,
not McGuire, yet.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
Ford, what did he do to beat out Kareem Hunt? for a starting role,
or how did he beat out D'Ernest Johnson, or even John Kelly?

Neither Kareem nor Ford were up for a "starting role". They're primary backups... and as such, Ford is on a rookie contract (vs having to negotiate a pricy vet contract to keep Hunt or Johnson). I believe Kelly is still on the team.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Jordan Akin. He scored 5 TDs with a CFL QB and a OC
That should be in the USFL. Some guys just know
How to get in the end zone.
He scored more TDs than DPJ last year with less targets

1 member likes this: lampdogg
Legend
Legend
It really is a shame that we know injuries will happen. They are random but they will happen.

James Hudson was a project draft pick. However, he has played quite a lot. He is good at run blocking. He struggles in pass protection.

He is 24. If he is ever going to be a starter this the year he needs to show he can be that.

Wills and Conklin are guys who may get injured. Both have had injuries. Hudson could be valuable.

Dawand Jones will be the guy who should push Hudson as the swing tackle. Jones has great potential. But he will need to prove himself.

Maurice Hurst has good tape but he is another guy who has had injury history. He could be a factor if he can stay healthy.

M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
Perrion Winfrey- Tomlinson is the assumed staple inside. You have Jordan Elliot as a spot holder and you drafted Ika for the possible future. That said, if Winfrey stays away from trouble and focus on the game, I think he can be a real disruptor inside and keep some other guys at bay. I'm also going to guess Winfrey is on the list for others as well.

Hopefully, there is a lot of this going on and it can translate to the field.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
I agree with the sentiments on Ford. We need a backup RB to develop and he showed some glimpses last year, albeit mostly as a returner

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
Jordan Akin. He scored 5 TDs with a CFL QB and a OC
That should be in the USFL. Some guys just know
How to get in the end zone.
He scored more TDs than DPJ last year with less targets

I agree. If he has a good camp, and bryant is decent enough, if we look to save some cash, I could see a scenario where Njoku is traded or even cut.

Out and out cut is very remote. Traded, not as.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
I highly doubt Njoku's roster spot is in any sort of doubt (including trade). Debates on his on-field impact are still on-going, but this FO made him one of the most highly paid TE's in the league despite not really having the stat sheet to back it up. I don't think that speaks to them looking to move him due to our 3rd-rounder that was struggling for snaps last year and a cheap FA pickup.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by oobernoober
I highly doubt Njoku's roster spot is in any sort of doubt (including trade). Debates on his on-field impact are still on-going, but this FO made him one of the most highly paid TE's in the league despite not really having the stat sheet to back it up. I don't think that speaks to them looking to move him due to our 3rd-rounder that was struggling for snaps last year and a cheap FA pickup.

Don't misunderstand, I agree, it isn't likely. I just think if we have a player who might offer something to another team, and we feel comfortable with the options on the roster, then it might give the FO something to think about.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A couple of guys on my list have already been mentioned, Tony Fields, and D"Anthony Bell. Fields showed something when he got his opportunity in the LB rotation. He should continue the be a ST contributor but the overall LB depth isn't so deep that he can't earn more reps in the defense.

The same with D'Anthony Bell, I'm going to refer to him by his nickname "Hitman" to distinguish him from the other D. Bell. Again we know we have 3 Safeties who may actually be on the field together quite a bit. We need a #4. He showed glimpses last year. Nobody really knows exactly what Schwartz wants personnel-wise to fill out his defense so I could see Hitman in the mix.

That brings me to my last name, David Bell. All the uncertainty on last year's offense affected his rookie season. I think he is sure-handed and can get open. Maybe not in the deep part of the field but as another underneath/intermediary/possession receiving option.

Legend
Legend
good point about Fields. He had some nice moments during the last half of the year

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
I was thinking the other day of what current Browns backup could take the next step and possibly inject themselves into the lineup as a starter or consistent rotation piece based on position. I've tried to stay away from rookies and moreso thought of players slowly making their mark on the team but many of these starting roles are pretty much solidified. Obviously talent plays a part, but so can opportunity as it relates to injury or lack of talent in a position group. Chances of this are usually low but here are my two:

Tony Fields- I'm not sure why he immediately came to my mind when thinking about this topic, but I think this guy flashed a bit and made some plays towards the end of the season after the LB corp was riddled with injuries. As a group, I think the LB position is most prime to have some challenger(s) change the status quo in terms of starters.

To be amended......

Tackles are tackles.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Maurice Hurst...a thousand times and again Hurst will stud out!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
I'm going with either Alex Wright or Isaiah Thomas. I look for at least one of them to step it up this year.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
Originally Posted by GMdawg
I'm going with either Alex Wright or Isaiah Thomas. I look for at least one of them to step it up this year.

Would love to see it. Will be tough getting snaps behind Garrett, Smith, and Obi but the more pass rush depth the better!

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Every d lineman on the roster will get snaps. We will do a lot of rotating to keep guys fresh for the 4th quarter, and for the playoffs.

Legend
Legend
Every d lineman on the roster will get snaps. We will do a lot of rotating to keep guys fresh for the 4th quarter, and for the playoffs.
GM is getting optimistic in his old age

1 member likes this: GMdawg
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M

Of course. We did last year as both players had snaps. I suppose I believe it might be hard making a 'leap' considering who is in front of them. But I do like Alex Wright.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Marquise Goodwin is 32. He was signed as a free agent for obvious reasons.

Schwartz has not done what was expected of him. He was drafted to develop into a vertical downfield threat.

Goodwin already is that. He has world class speed and he can catch the ball.

IMO he will play an important role and be productive. He may not have tons of targets. But when he is targeted it will for chunk plays and big scores.

If you look at receiver spacing we have Cooper and DPJ as outside boundary guys. Both have good hands and run good routes. Moore will come out of the slot mostly but has the ability to "y" in spread. The fourth option has to be Goodwin vertical. The TE's on shallow cross and seams.

You spread the field and cover all areas.

Goodwin by the end of the season will be important.

Legend
Legend
it will be interesting to see if we keep both Goodwin and Grant. IMO those two are fighting for one spot

Legend
Legend
I don't see Grant as a challenge to Goodwin. Grant has to be viewed only in special teams. He has to make the team showing he can still be a threat in special team plays.

Goodwin will make the roster and have a role. IMO.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Goodwin hasn't caught more than 27 passes or caught for over 400 yards since 2017. Over that same time period his best years he caught 4td's. Other than 2019 where he averaged 15 yards per catch, his best average yards per catch since season since has been 2.5 yards per catch. Big plays and chunk scores seem to be in past days for him.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Goodwin is sitting out right now due to blood clots in his legs and lungs.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Goodwin is sitting out right now due to blood clots in his legs and lungs.

Right, with a fairly high chance he will have to sit the year if we IR him. Who knows how long the guy could be out....maybe done in the NFL.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
Well I had a blood clot in my leg about nine months before they had the procedure to suck them out. That clot started at my ankle and went up to about 5 inches from my crotch. And the doctor told me point blank that if it moved to my lungs I would turn black and die within about 15 minutes and there would be nothing they could do, so I should lay perfectly still until they could operate. I still have a giant spider looking metal filter designed to break them up or stop them if they move in my groin (was supposed to come out within 5 years and nobody told me). I had to take shots in my stomachs for over a month. My leg swelled daily for the first five years, while my body slowly constructed an alternative route for blood flow. And to this day, my leg has never been the same. I have full use of it, but it’s still not the same.

I don’t know how much advancement has been made in those 20 plus years, but I can’t imagine even considering playing this year if I was him. No money is worth dying like that.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 07/22/23 09:57 PM.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

The tight end:
Jordan Akins?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't know if these guys could be called taking a leap sine all were underafted FA's, but Husan Hall, Lonnie Phelps, and Mohamoud Diabate were all give sizable signing bonuses. Hall 125K, Phelps and Diabate $250K each.

The team isn't going to give up nearly $750K if they aren't going to give those guys every opportunity to fail.

Note I said fail. With some guys failure isn't in the books. Be perfect or you are done. If you are given chances to fail, you are going to have to fail yourself off the team rather than play on to the team....if that makes sense. Getting 'a" chance is different than getting several chances.

Since Berry is the one who paid the money, and his voice is at least 70% on who ends up being kept, we might see at least 2 of their names for a while. Especially if Ventrone and or Schwartz pounded the table for them.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Which Backup/Depth Player Can Take A Leap?

Link Copied to Clipboard