Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Good to see the Bald Eagle population by state after they were almost wiped out.

Bald Eagle Population By State

https://a-z-animals.com/blog/bald-eagle-population-by-state/

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

1 member likes this: Clemdawg
Legend
Legend
This was great to learn! They are beautiful on the wing. Thanks for this thread. Good stuff!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
As I recall, wasn't it "Roundup"....."the first version" that made it's way into the ecosystem and thinned the Bald Eagles eggshells to barely nothing, hence, etc, etc.

I forget how long ago it was. 4-5-6 years ago?

Heck.....lemme add, quite possibly, more than 4-5-6 years ago? rofl

Last edited by TTTDawg; 07/23/23 06:25 PM.

Legend
Legend
someone in my neck of the woods just got charged for hunting them. Pretty scummy thing obviously. Majestic birds

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
someone in my neck of the woods just got charged for hunting them. Pretty scummy thing obviously. Majestic birds

If you hear anything else on the dirtbag let us know.

Legend
Legend
Originally, I believe it was DDT back in the 70's.
I remember hearing that it had the same effect on the eggs of California Condors, bringing them to the brink of extinction as well.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Can't say for sure the pesticide was "Roundup". Perhaps. Perhaps not.
I do recall something on Roundup. It might or may not have been associated with the Bald Eagle decline...., etc, etc.

Legend
Legend
Correct it was DDT.
Pollution in general can impact eagles.

Bald eagles are mainly fish eaters. In Alaska they are pretty common. The salmon that migrate are their primary food source.
Water pollution from heavy metals (mercury) can get into the food supply and have an impact. That was a huge problem in Lake Erie. I am sure before Lake Erie had any pollution that there was a thriving population of eagles.

It is great to see them making a comeback.

When I lived in South Reno and Carson City. Eagles would come over from Lake Tahoe in early spring to Carson Valley. Many ranches with lots of cattle in the valley.
Early spring is calving season. The eagles come to eat the afterbirth. "mmmm afterbirth" (Homer).

The Carson valley was spread out and in places marshy. Migratory birds stopped there. Along with many types of birds of prey. You come over the Sierras heading east and there is the valley. Not too far south is Yosemite.

Really beautiful area.

2 members like this: TTTDawg, Clemdawg
Legend
Legend
It was DDT.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by TTTDawg
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life

If you hear anything else on the dirtbag let us know.

Not sure of this is the same man but it probably is.......

Canonsburg man indicted on charges of shooting bald eagle

A Canonsburg man has been indicted by a federal jury, charged with shooting America’s national bird this past spring in Mount Pleasant in Washington County.

Rodney Thomas, 50, was charged with violating the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act, accused of shooting and killing a mature bald eagle with an air rifle around May 12.

Pennsylvania Game Commission wardens found the eagle along Water Dam Road, near Cherry Valley Dam in Mount Pleasant.

The law provides for a maximum sentence of a year in prison, a fine up to $5,000 or both.

“A symbolic species such as the bald eagle deserves our protection,” said Washington County District Attorney Jason Walsh. “My office, along with the U.S . Attorney’s Office, the Pennsylvania Game Commission, and the Mt. Pleasant Police Department worked diligently coordinating with each other to identify and charge the individual responsible and bring him to justice.”

The bald eagle has been the national bird of the United States since 1782.

https://triblive.com/local/regional...f-shooting-bald-eagle-in-mount-pleasant/

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Tks.

I thought it was Roundup and/or DDT.

They(the makers/producers of Roundup) have had a revised edition out for a few years now and without the DDT.

Majestic birds indeed.

Legend
Legend
yep there's the story. Shameful

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Clemdawg
Originally, I believe it was DDT back in the 70's.
I remember hearing that it had the same effect on the eggs of California Condors, bringing them to the brink of extinction as well.

Absolutely correct. In the late 70's there were only 3 active nests in the entire state of Ohio, none of which were producing viable eggs. Eggs from Tennessee were planted in these nests, and the program took off, as DDT was banned and the local population grew. I was a volunteer nest monitor for the Ohio Division of Wildlife until around 2000, and I remember the celebratory mood as Ohion hit 100 active nests. I was honored to be able to participate in that program. Our eyes let the experts know of any nest damage or harassment, how many eaglets were produced and if they were feeding, if the parents were behaving normally, etc. It was time consuming to watch the nests and fill out the reports, but it was awesome and fulfilling to share in the success of their comeback.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
3 members like this: TTTDawg, PitDAWG, Clemdawg
Legend
Legend
Bravo for doing that.

It is so important for future generations to leave this place better than when we got here.

I don't consider myself to be political. But when it comes to the environment that is what I care about.

2 members like this: TTTDawg, PitDAWG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
DDT thinned the shells of any eagle eggs produced ultimately making them non viable.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
It’s always a great day starting off seeing one flying overhead. I have a pair that live about a mile from my house. Finally found their nest by accident when routing around an accident on my way home last month.

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
Legend
Legend
Surprised Texas was so low... we have a few bald eagles in my neighborhood.... amazing creatures....

<><

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by jaybird
Surprised Texas was so low... we have a few bald eagles in my neighborhood.... amazing creatures....

Eagles are territorial and locate near bodies of water. Texas has some water, but many areas lack nesting trees, so the areas of potential nesting are somewhat limited.

As for my area here in Tennessee, we have a nest about 2 miles up the lake. I see them from time to time when walking along the river. TVA owns a lot of land along the river, so there are ample, protected nesting areas.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Legend
Legend
A
Just a mile and half from my house - 2 eagles. Also, some on the Maumee river.

Just got back from vacation a few hours ago, in Michigan. Portage Lake - it has a channel into Lake Michigan, which I used daily.

Me, dad, and my brother, in the boat, heading out. Bald eagle hovering behind us, checking the wake of the boat. Then it swooped down, grabbed what appeared to be a 10-12" fish, and took off with it. Amazing to watch, in person. Picking that fish out of the water, then taking off with the added weight.

A sea gull followed it, trying to get the fish. The eagle didn't seem to even notice.

2 members like this: TTTDawg, Clemdawg
Legend
Legend
They are incredible to see in the wild.

In 1986 I went to Alaska with a few friends on a fishing trip. We were in a really remote area on a river. We pulled onto a sandbar to get out and start fishing. I was the first out of the boat. I saw something laying on the ground a little ways away. I knew what it was a ran over and picked it up. It was the largest wing feather of a bald eagle. It is huge. The quill is as thick as a man's index finger.

Cool thing to find. We saw many eagles and got some great pictures.

T
Legend
Legend
T
There are too ^x#$* many in the middle of Ohio, they used to be almost never seen,but now they are everywhere, them or ospreys, or hawks
it is a nuisance. They kill small dogs and cats so...

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
**** you

3 members like this: TTTDawg, jfanent, PitDAWG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
There are too ^x#$* many in the middle of Ohio, they used to be almost never seen,but now they are everywhere, them or ospreys, or hawks

Sooo.... don't leave your small dogs or cats running around and avoid the less than .01% chance they are attacked and taken away.

Should we just kill all the hawks, owls and eagles to they're marked safe??

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Don't bother Fate.

He has posted this kind of mentality before regarding wildlife.

I have nothing for him but contempt.

O
Legend
Legend
O

So if something (or someone) is a nuisance, they need to be gotten rid of? Just want clarification.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by oobernoober

So if something (or someone) is a nuisance, they need to be gotten rid of? Just want clarification.

I think he's saying "get rid of the getters before the gotten are got rid of".

1 member likes this: oobernoober
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by FATE

Sooo.... don't leave your small dogs or cats running around and avoid the less than .01% chance they are attacked and taken away.

Should we just kill all the hawks, owls and eagles to they're marked safe??

I don't think the eagles know they are grabbing Fido or Felix. They just see food.

Maybe we could train the eagles, but something tells me they wouldn't give a rip.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

Apex predators are necessary for a healthy ecosystem. They keep your back yard safe from rodent overpopulation. These birds will also scavenge, helping to clean up the neighborhood of decomposing carcasses. If you're a fan of filthy, rat-infested neighborhoods/ecosystems, I could see why you aren't a fan of these magnificent creatures.

And if you're the type of 'pet owner' who'd allow your cat or small dog to run free outside, you're probably the kind of irresponsible pet owner who wouldn't miss them all that much if they did become dinner. If you are that type, I have a suggestion for you: don't ever give them names.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
A
Legend
Legend
A
Scavengers. I'm just going to say this: I shoot woodchucks. Yep, I kill them. I can get 1, or 5, in an afternoon. I go out the next day, the buzzards have them down to bone and pelt. Buzzards, eagles, hawks, etc. are good. And when Dummy the dog goes out, I stand out there with him - and I don't even like him. But when he's doing his business, he looks up at me like "you got my back"?

Legend
Legend
How many dogs and cats have been killed by eagles?

I have never seen a report that that has happened.

Eagles are fish eaters. They don't fly around hunting dogs and cats.

They have every right to be on this earth as any animal.

If I ever saw a person take aim at an eagle. There would be hell to pay.

2 members like this: TTTDawg, PitDAWG
Legend
Legend
It happens more often than you'd think. Video evidence is out there. I personally have seen them bring muskrats, woodchucks, ducks and snakes to the nest.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Dogs and cats are more likely to be hit by lightning than killed by an eagle.

There are not all that many eagles. There are not many dogs and cats running free. Any encounter would be a rare event.

Eagles are protected. It is against the law to shoot an eagle. $100k plus one year in prison.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not sure about you stating the fine as only being 100k for shooting an eagle. It could be that's the federal fine but when you combine that with additional state fines the total my be much higher. I know here in Nashville a company cut down a tree with an eagles nest in it and are facing up to an 800k dollar fine.....

TWRA monitoring area where crews illegally chopped down a bald eagle nest

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WTVF) — Two American bald eaglets are fighting to survive here in Nashville after someone cut down a tree with their nest, throwing them to the ground.

It was one week ago that someone cut down a tree with an eagle nest and two eaglets inside. Ever since then wildlife officials have been out to make sure the eaglets are OK. This happened when were workers were cutting down trees.

Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agent Kaleb Stratton is taking a hard look from across the Cumberland River at the property just off Trinity Lane.

"We've been trying to find both the baby eagles to make sure they are OK," he said.

The eaglets still cannot fly making them easy targets for predators.

"There are two eaglets. We found one yesterday but didn't find the other. And today still didn't find the other one."

Stratton thinks that one — which was spotted earlier in the week — is likely hiding in the brush safe.

As for its sibling, NewsChannel 5 caught the moment as one of the adults landed right next to the eaglet, which had managed to hop its way up into these branches.

"It's awesome that we've found them up in this tree."

The adult eagles are clearly engaged, caring for their offspring.

"We found where they've been feeding them fish. We found their feed pile up there with fish and turtles," he said.

Stratton thinks it will just be a matter of weeks before the eaglets can fly and fend for themselves.

In the meantime, the investigation continues into who cut down the nest.

"We have the names of the companies involved."

U.S. Fish and Wildlife is still researching charges. If that happens there could be fines up to $800,000 dollars.

Removing an occupied nest with eaglets without a proper permit is prohibited by both state and federal law.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/t...illegally-chopped-down-a-bald-eagle-nest

Just as a footnote this story is from early June. Yesterday the station updated the story to say the eagles were not killed by any predators and are now able to fly on their own.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: TTTDawg
Legend
Legend
There are all kinds of laws pertaining to eagles both bald and golden.

Disturbing nests etc.

The federal charge I found began at $100k fine plus one year in prison.

If I were to win the billion dollar lottery. I would donate a large percentage of it to protection of wildlife predators.

Big cats, wolves, bears, any that are endangered. Elephants. I would look closely at anything I could do to protect wildlife.

We share 98.8 percent DNA with chimpanzees. We are not elite. We share this planet with other species. They belong here as much as we do.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Have a nineteenth century mentality, maybe an eighteenth century menatlitiy toward these things like, bears, deer, wolves, eagles, and sharks, because if Man still hunted them, every time they saw them, then these animals would be a little bit more leery of attacking humans or even hanging around where humans are.
It's a win win, keep the wild in wildlife.
I wish the government would attack sharks on sight, b/c therefore, there would be a lot fewer attacks of humans by sharks.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think it's the sharks that should be worried about us....

While sharks kill around 10 people a year, humans are responsible for killing over 100 million sharks. According to American Oceans, approximately 7% of all shark species are killed each year. To further quantify that, there are approximately 11,000 sharks killed every hour!

https://worldanimalfoundation.org/advocate/shark-attack-statistics/

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I think it's the sharks that should be worried about us....

While sharks kill around 10 people a year, humans are responsible for killing over 100 million sharks. According to American Oceans, approximately 7% of all shark species are killed each year. To further quantify that, there are approximately 11,000 sharks killed every hour!

https://worldanimalfoundation.org/advocate/shark-attack-statistics/

I read that and assumed you had to have misunderstood the article. 100 million? 11,000 sharks killed per hour?? No freaking way.

WOW. It's the truth. That is absolutely insane.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I thought so too when finding out the number.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
And I also just read it, and did the math. Wow.

Legend
Legend
You don't know what the **** you are talking about.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Bald Eagle Population By State

Link Copied to Clipboard