Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Legend
Legend
The Dawgs - A Cleveland Browns Podcast
@thedawgspodcast
🚨RUMOR: If the New York Jets sign RB Dalvin Cook, the team could move on from 3rd-year back Michael Carter. The #Browns are rumored to be interested in adding Carter as another pass-catching back behind Nick Chubb and Jerome Ford.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by bonefish
Now and again I will turn on GMFB, or Get up. Turn on espn or NFL network.

I am convinced that Jerry Jones must contribute to the network bosses 401k plans.

Seems like there is always a report on Dallas. Why? All hype no results. That is their norm and standard. Lots of talk. No results.

I never hear the Browns even mentioned. I know we have not done anything either. But damn we do have a team.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I heard there is some interest in Zeke paired with Chubb.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
We need him.

We are very weak in depth at DT. One injury to Tomlinson from being no different than last year.

We can not count on guys like Hurst, Hill, Togiai, and Elliott. None of them have proven to stay healthy or play at a average level.

Ika is a rookie and a third round pick. Expectations need to be realistic.

DT with Winfrey gone needs a guy like Harris.

M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: PortlandDawg
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
T
Legend
Legend
T
How are Maurice Hurst/ Hearst, errgh, which is it?
How are he and Tristen Hill coming along in progression?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

Should be a snoozefest but at least football is back.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
1 member likes this: oobernoober
B
Legend
Legend
B
At least it is our team in this crappy HOF game.

I normally don't even bother to watch, but this year at least we can key in on various players, giving us at least a very early indication of what they might be. At least it is better than sitting here or elsewhere looking at a few X clips from camp.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
the only good thing: we get to see our uniforms on the HOF field and on national TV. Outside of that, it's a dumb game

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't disagree with you to some extent. I mean hey it is NFL football even if it is in it's most diluted form. But as far as actually learning much about the players it's rather hard to do that. It will mostly be a bunch of back-ups and third stringers against another bunch of back-ups and third stringers. So as far as telling anyone what these players would do against top tier starters it doesn't really tell you much. I guess it will tell us how the Browns depth matches up with the Jets depth, but that's about it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Scrubs playing is not football. I won’t be watching.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Scrubs playing is not football. I won’t be watching.

I agree, for a lot of the Hue Jackson years, it didn't feel like I was watching football. Still, I doubt I'll stop watching now. I could use the distraction.

Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
That's how I feel about it. Even though it's a watered down version of NFL football, it's still NFL football. It's our first glimpse at the new season every year. I watch it no matter which teams are playing. The long stretch without the NFL football causes me to look forward to it and watch it every year.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I will watch every second, and tape the game so I can rewatch it. I'm excited to see some off the young kids can do.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
3 members like this: Pdawg, WSU Willie, FATE
Legend
Legend
Here are five things to watch for when the Jets and Browns meet Thursday night:

Zach Wilson has first chance to show what he’s learned. New Jets quarterback Aaron Rodgers hasn’t taken a preseason snap since 2018, and he won’t break the streak against Cleveland. That means Wilson is starting. He should receive plenty of run to showcase how far he’s already come in his new role as Rodgers' mentee. The 2021 No. 2 overall pick has disappointed thus far in his short NFL career, throwing for 4,022 yards, 15 touchdowns and 18 interceptions with an 8-14 record in 22 starts. New York’s blockbuster trade for a four-time Associated Press Most Valuable Player forced Wilson to the bench, but it also provides him an opportunity to reset and mold his game after one of the all-time greats. We’ll soon see what lessons he’s absorbed in the early going.

Browns backup QBs in battle for positioning. Much like Rodgers, Deshaun Watson won’t make an appearance. The Browns are instead taking a deep dive into the competition behind him. Kellen Mond, the former 2021 third-round pick of the Vikings, will get the start, head coach Kevin Stefanski told reporters on Tuesday. Stefanski also confirmed that he expects to debut rookie fifth-rounder Dorian Thompson-Robinson at the beginning of the second half. Thompson-Robinson has a ton of experience with 49 games played in five seasons at UCLA. However, NFL speed hits differently, so it figures to be a whole new world for the 23-year-old. He’ll be thankful for an extra game to prove his mettle during the ongoing jostling for position with Mond and Joshua Dobbs behind Watson.

New York’s O-line bears watching. Mekhi Becton will play 20-25 snaps, head coach Robert Saleh told reporters on Tuesday. A 6-foot-7 behemoth at offensive tackle, Becton is on a mission to regain a starting role after missing all but one game since 2021 due to injuries. His next step in that journey requires rebuilding strength and confidence through game action. New York’s second- and fourth-round draft picks, Joe Tippmann (No. 43) and Carter Warren (No. 120), are also slated to take the field. The linemen suiting up Thursday will be ones competing for jobs rather than locked-in starters, but the overall unit's performance rolling into the regular season is of great importance to Rodgers’ inaugural campaign in Gotham. No spring chicken, the QB enters Year 19 with a 40th birthday on the calendar in December.

Jim Schwartz era begins. Regardless of how many No. 1s or fringe starters end up taking the field for Cleveland’s defense, Jim Schwartz will be steering the ship. The former Lions head coach boasts 19 years of experience as a defensive coordinator. The Cleveland brass hired him in January with the expectation that his savvy will help reverse a trend of eight seasons ranked 20th or worse in defensive scoring over the last decade. Although it's important to note that schemes are routinely vanilla in preseason games, Schwartz, whose fiery demeanor is known to carry over to his players, can still pass the eye test with how his guys attack the opposition.

Kicking off the new kickoff. Back in May, NFL owners agreed to pass a one-year rule that places any fair catch off a free kick (safety or kickoff) that occurs behind the receiving team’s 25-yard line at the 25. The change, which was proposed with player safety in mind, doesn’t necessarily guarantee that every single kick in that designated area will result in a fair catch. Players can still take the risk of trying to beat coverage past the 25 for a bigger return, and returners will begin experimenting with those pros and cons in live action on Thursday night. This also happens to be one instance in which the learning curve might be steeper for older players than the young guns -- the league’s new rule now matches the one used in the college game since 2018.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2023-nfl-s...-in-jets-browns-pro-football-hall-of-fam

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Some young guys are not very impressive when it comes to practice, but put them in a game and they might just show some promise.

Some guys might be great at "practicing", but suck when they are placed in a game under game conditions.

To be honest, we never know where the next star player is going to come from...some just need an opportunity.

I will be watching 8 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 3...if I can.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
1 member likes this: GMdawg
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by GMdawg
I will watch every second, and tape the game so I can rewatch it. I'm excited to see some off the young kids can do.

I do that too. I'm no talent evaluator...by any stretch...but I enjoy watching guys play and then seeing if they land in the league here or elsewhere.

1 member likes this: GMdawg
B
Legend
Legend
B
As I said earlier, we will still be able to see something of value.

You can get a bit of a feeling for the 2 QB's. Ball placement, etc.

What the defensive alignments might be like in base form.

General special teams play. Those guys will be the starters.

What sort of zip and zag some of the receives and backs might possess. Hands as receivers.

How our young guys match-up against theirs. Are they getting beat like drums or are they beating the drum?

But no doubt, you have to keep it in context for what it is. It isn't going to tell us if we are Super Bowl bound or bound for a 3 win season.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: bringbackbernie
Legend
Legend
There is always something to see.

This is a chance for players who are trying to make an impression. Special teams, roster depth etc.

You turn it on and watch.

I watched some tape of the UCLA quarterback DTR. I really want to watch this guy. He is an impressive athlete. He moves well. He throws a nice ball. He seems very accurate. He looks like a player who could develop.

If he distinguishes himself over the term of his contract. He could be a guy we could trade for value. You never know.

The young receivers and Ford are guys I want to see.

First steps of the season.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
The HOF is going to be more like a scrimmage. Will be interesting to see the Browns backups and how much depth they have. Also, the battle to determine who backs up Watson will be interesting.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Dawg Citizen
The HOF is going to be more like a scrimmage. Will be interesting to see the Browns backups and how much depth they have. Also, the battle to determine who backs up Watson will be interesting.

I think that is pretty much set with Dobbs, isn't it?

For the longer term, I agree. Both DTR and Mond have skills. As someone mentioned earlier, maybe we keep drafting QB's to highlight in limited amounts much like Belicheck did with brady as QB to gain some trade upside.

Teams who need a QB and don't have a "top" pick are always looking for someone, much like Hue thought McCarron was going to be his answer.

Thankfully our GM decided to just send in the paperwork 30 minutes late.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
IIRC, if we had made that awful trade, we would not have Chubb today.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by Dawg Citizen

I think that is pretty much set with Dobbs, isn't it?

I doubt it's going to happen but if Mond or Robinson play lights out tonight and continues to have a great pre-season. maybe one of them moves ahead of Dobbs on the depth chart? The Browns probably are not keeping 4 QBs on the roster. Mond and Robinson are playing so the coaches can determine who to cut later.

Legend
Legend
I don't see Mond making the team.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by bonefish
I don't see Mond making the team.

I don't think any QB is guaranteed a spot beyond Watson. May the best man (men, maybe with the 3rd QB change) win.

Fiercely Independent.
T
Legend
Legend
T
In Nineteen ninety nine, the returning Browns played the Cowboys in the hall of fame exhibition game.

Daylon McCutcheon was on that Browns team if I recall correctly.

They had 3 and a half years of waiting for Browns football to return, and,
they didn't even make it available that you could buy Browns jerseys, or whatever during those off years.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
I think I might consider a fourth QB like DT-R for the PS. Liked him more than Mind. Played smoothly, and it looked like he might be able to emulate DW as he is coached up by him. But, no, I can't see us keeping four QB's on the roster.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
DTR isn't going to the Practice Squad. I think that Mond gets released.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
there's no doubt that DTR will be on the 53

M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life

Since Berry has been GM has he kept 3 QBs on the 53 or 2 and a PS QB? Honestly, I cannot recall.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
I don't think he has, but I think we'll trade Dobbs in a heartbeat instead of risking DTR getting picked up

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan
DTR isn't going to the Practice Squad.

Agreed. Too much of a risk exposing him the practice squad. He'll go to IR before the practice squad. I imagine he will be the emergency 3rd QB, or whatever that is.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life

Actually he may not have to be. From reading the board today it seems some think DTR will actually unseat Dobbs as the #2 QB but I think that's not being realistic. Dobbs has the NFL experience to make him stick. But I certainly see DTR as the favorite to be the #3 QB. There's a new rule that the NFL implemented that allows a team to have a third QB on game day without it counting against the 53 man roster. The deciding factor was the debacle in the 49'ers game. So you can actually have DTR as the third QB on game days without him counting against or actually being on the 53 man roster.

NFL approves bylaw to allow a third QB to be active without counting against gameday roster

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-approves-bylaw-allow-third-181211042.html

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wonder if Dobbs might be a practice squad candidate.

Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I would highly doubt that. He was signed to a 2 million dollar fully guaranteed contract for 2023. I mean I suppose anything is possible but going out and signing a FA QB to such a contract then making him a practice squad QB would seem like quite a waste of resources. Dobbs has been in the league since 2018 and served as the Titans backup last season. I think the Browns would want that type of NFL background and some experience as their backup QB.

I mean we did see DTR play well against a bunch of third stringers but I think it take quite maturation process before he may be able to slide into the #2 QB position.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News and Notes, Continued....

Link Copied to Clipboard