Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Jordan Schultz
@Schultz_Report
Breaking: Free agent DT Shelby Harris is signing with the #Browns, per sources.

Harris was with the #Seahawks last season after being included in the Russell Wilson trade. Highly productive player whose racked up 24.5 sacks and 40 TFLs in his career.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Jordan Schultz
@Schultz_Report
·
1m
Sources: Max value of $5.25M for Shelby Harris to the #Browns.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I’m really happy by this news.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
More Beef to stop the Run, good acquisition ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I believe this is a good signing at this point in the year. He seems to be a good fit for a Jim Schwartz Defense. Good job Mr Berry.

2 members like this: Clemdawg, Ballpeen
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A gaping hole is filled. Been frustrating seeing DBs, OTs and LBs signed and nothing happening on the interior of the d-line.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quality piece to add to the DT rotation.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Yes I was hoping for this! Good job AB!!!!!

Legend
Legend
Really happy about this signing.

Solid veteran who has performed in this league.

This move will help. More options for the interior rotation.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I think it's as good of a signing as possible right now. Fills a glaring need with a proven player.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Breathe...lol

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 08/09/23 10:24 PM.

[Linked Image]

1 member likes this: Clemdawg
T
Legend
Legend
T
With the Jerome Ford hip injury,... rb....

D'Ernest Johnson better not clear waivers in Jacksonville not even for a second,
not even if there are 44,000 players released on the same day.

b/c you don't know what you had until it's gone, and if you're the Browns,

can they tell the difference between Forbes and Lamm,
Ogunjobi and Elliott, other examples.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Seems like a solid signing...

<><

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Quality piece to add to the DT rotation.

Yes and no. It add's a decent to good starter, which is a good move. Decent meaning a NFL average starter, which is good enough. That means he is going to play to at least a draw most of the time against the guard.

We still don't have a rotation. I don't count any of the other DT's as rotational guys. They are inferior. I don't want Togiai or Elliott filling in for anybody. They get beat like a rented mule.

Ika, he might fill the bill but as a rook, I don't want to count on that. He may be good, but we thought that about the other guys when they were drafted.

My hope is Berry still brings in a decent vet...maybe a camp cut, maybe trade a pick for a guy who is possibly a borderline guy on another team. The guy who might be a victim of a youth movement.

I am not expecting a star. Just a decent player. I want a rotation of 4 guys, guys who don't include names like Elliott or Togiai, and or include a rook...thought the rook has a chance to be a pretty good player.

DT isn't a position where you can nurture and develop over time like a QB. QB may even require that. DT isn't like that. 2 years is all it really takes. You can tell in that time if they have it or don't. Then you can develop that. You can't teach how to fight in a phone booth. Either you can or you can't.

For you younger folks, look up phone booth on google since there are no more phone booths. They pretty much went away in the late 70's.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
I think it's as good of a signing as possible right now. Fills a glaring need with a proven player.

And that is what this team needs.

We have a chance to win. We need more proven players and forget about the fools gold.

Once you know a player doesn't have it, at minimum move on to some other fools gold. The NFL isn't like some other sports where you have the league's where you can try to develop players. Some guys might get a couple of years, but when you are in the "show" you have to be able to be the next man up.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Slowly, we see the influence of one football coach who was hired by Haslam to fix the defense, Defensive coordinator, Jim Schwartz.

Schwartz is operating under his own guidelines, signing Shelby Harris, a 31 yr old veteran defensive tackle.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
O
Legend
Legend
O
Please clarify...

Are you saying Schwartz went around AB to sign Harris?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I think the inference is that AB typically doesn’t sign older vets. Maybe Schwartz had some influence to change that mindset.

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
^^ This.

Schwartz has enough influence to where "guardrails" take a back seat to his experience.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
L
Legend
Legend
L
This is a great signing. He's been productive and relatively healthy most of his career. I saw his name floated a bit and hoped to sign him

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Quality player

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend
You can't teach how to fight in a phone booth. Either you can or you can't.

For you younger folks, look up phone booth on google since there are no more phone booths. They pretty much went away in the late 70's.

We truly do date ourselves with certain references, don't we?
BTW: "fight in a phone booth" is pretty much the perfect analogy for that job-

"too many notes, not enough music-"
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mac
Slowly, we see the influence of one football coach who was hired by Haslam to fix the defense, Defensive coordinator, Jim Schwartz.

Schwartz is operating under his own guidelines, signing Shelby Harris, a 31 yr old veteran defensive tackle.

oobs writes...Please clarify...

oobs...It comes down to 'priorities'...

...do we want to see the Browns defense improve..?

...Or...are some more concerned about strictly following some pre-established rules and limits produced by upper management, limiting a coaches ability build a defense based on his own football experience playing and coaching in the NFL?

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
sounds like nobody else offered more than us

Legend
Legend
Is this a trick question? I know which one i am leaning towards . . . rolleyes

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
Legend
Legend
M

Yes, perhaps. I think I saw it was one year at $5.25 MM. That's not crazy.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

Yes, perhaps. I think I saw it was one year at $5.25 MM. That's not crazy.
agreed. it's a good deal

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by mac
Originally Posted by mac

...Or...are some more concerned about strictly following some pre-established rules and limits produced by upper management, limiting a coaches ability build a defense based on his own football experience playing and coaching in the NFL?

Dear Lord man. Where do you come up with this crap? Schwartz lacks the authority and possibly even lacks the ability to write and offer a player a contract. Your theory reads like something out of The Twilight Zone. I'm sure Schwartz had a say in his desire to sign him. But you are taking a leap of epic proportions here.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Bard Dawg
Is this a trick question? I know which one i am leaning towards . . . rolleyes

bard...nothing tricky about it, I responded to oobs in reference to the conversation BELOW the squiggly marks ...as oobs seemed to be more concerned about whether our new DC, Jim Schwartz used his authority to sign a 31 yr old veteran DT, Shelby Harris to a $5.25 mill. contract.

As said, it comes down to the "priorities" of some folks in charge who say they are determined to build the Browns into a winning/championship caliber NFL team.

...Haslam went out and hired an experienced Defensive Coordinator to fix the Browns defense and rather than saddling Schwartz with pre-established guidelines, Haslam appears to allowing Schwartz to build this defense according to Schwartz standards.

And that is a good thing, imo...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

P
Legend
Legend
P
Schwartz doesn't and lacks the authority to write contracts. That's done via the Browns legal department. Are you trying to make some crazy claim that Schwartz can circumvent AB and direct the legal department to write a players contract? Seriously, I just want to see how far down this rabbit hole you're willing to crawl to.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

I think the guardrails (that no one really knows) were much more applicable to the draft than otherwise;

While the guardrails appeared to also be applicable to veterans (because it sure looked that way until recently) I think that changed when the FO landed their FQB;

I also think that as the team started building depth, the guardrails in the draft were also loosened...however maybe not as much as the veteran market.

Just my $.02

1 member likes this: FATE
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Schwartz doesn't and lacks the authority to write contracts. That's done via the Browns legal department. Are you trying to make some crazy claim that Schwartz can circumvent AB and direct the legal department to write a players contract? Seriously, I just want to see how far down this rabbit hole you're willing to crawl to.

pit..trying to pick a fight are you...I'll play..!!

I never said that Schwartz wrote Harris' contract...did I..?

I referenced the amount, (5.25 mill) as background information only.

Again, it's about "priorities"...do the Browns want Schwartz to follow pre-established guidelines OR does did Haslam hire Schwartz to build a championship quality defense.

To me, it looks like Haslam is finally committed to building the franchise into a "winning" franchise...and that is a good thing, imo.

Last edited by mac; 08/11/23 12:35 PM.

Legend
Legend
You're in left field.

Schwartz didn't, and can't, sign anyone.
He may have asked Berry to get this guy, but Berry signed him. Berry makes roster decisions, not any of the coaches.

I'm sorry it has come to this, but if you liked the move, you actually have to give props to MoneyBallMan.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: WSU Willie
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by mac

You can't "sign" a player without a contract. Don't blame me for calling you on what you yourself posted. If what you MEANT TO SAY was that Schwartz has been given leverage in getting the players he wants that may be true. I'm sure that negotiations were made to get him to be the DC here and that may have been part of it. But if you think former DC's didn't have input into players they wanted as well I think that's rather faulty logic.

What I think has happened is, as you can obviously see by the spending and cap rollover from year to year, is that the Browns as an organization hoarded money to build a "team" once they felt they had a QB where they could actually make a run at the SB. We watched year after year where the Browns were "thrifty" for a lack of a better word, to position themselves to have an enormous amount to spend when they felt the time was right.

As such they didn't often times go out and sign players to big contracts to the point they couldn't continue to build a stash to spend when they felt the time was right. That's what we're seeing. Schwartz isn't going out and "signing players" which is what you posted.

I'm quite sure once the Browns explained their plan to him it made the job as DC of the Browns look much more attractive to him.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Schwartz didn't, and can't, sign anyone.

I stand by my original posts...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[color:#FFFFCC]Originally Posted by mac

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[/color]

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
When I said this...

"Schwartz is operating under his own guidelines, signing Shelby Harris, a 31 yr old veteran defensive tackle."

I was not referring Schwartz handing out contracts and when I did refer to amount, it was to establish the fact that Harris was not some washed up "over 30 yrs old" veteran who Schwartz wanted because Harris was the "cheapest option".

I view the situation going something like this...Schwartz confers with the Haslam, the GM, his coaches and asks...

....I think this is a guy we need to think about signing...what does everyone think about Shelby Harris..?
....can we pull this off if the price is right...?

...and everyone at every level affected "working together" to sign the kind of talent the coach wants...kind of like "team work"!

...kind of like the way most successful franchises operate...

Last edited by mac; 08/11/23 01:15 PM.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by mac
"Schwartz is operating under his own guidelines, signing Shelby Harris, a 31 yr old veteran defensive tackle."

Thanks.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think you mistook my sarcasm for an honest question.

I know that a DC does not select/negotiate with FAs, much less sign them to a contract and I know that you know that.

So, to me, it's funny that you still can't bring yourself to give our GM any credit for a signing (his and job, and only his). A good signing can't be because of our GM, so it must be because of the DC we just brought in.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Sign DT Shelby Harris

Link Copied to Clipboard