Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2023587 08/18/23 05:23 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
- I thought the defense played really well until that last unit came into the game. That very first series when we got the safety was glorious. Shelby Harris made an immediate impact.
- Diabate flies around like crazy (misses some tackles but is very active)
- Watkins SHOULD make the roster. He's earned it ... great plays in 3 straight games.
- I like Wilkins more than Kelley. He had a costly fumble and really doesn't get the tough yards.
- DTR was really good again. He had maybe 3 poor throws, but outside of that he was decisive, accurate, and aware in the pocket.

I have three MAIN concerns as of right now:

1. Red zone offense. Whether it's play calling, execution, penalties, turnovers, etc ... we have been really bad down there.
2. Special. The kicking game is a major, major issue. York is a head case. Plus, our coverage/return game and penalties are concerning.
3. Watson. I just haven't seen enough of him looking as comfortable as I'd like.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Overall it was a good showing by the Browns.

I know we all like to win. But really the final score in this context does not mean much.

What is important is we won more plays against a good team.

The first series was important because we were going against their ones. DTR took the ball down the field. Kelly fumbled. No big deal Hall looked better than Kelly and Kelly will not make the roster.

The guys I wanted to see really played well. DTR, Tillman, Watkins and Diabate.

When the Browns signed Diabate a close friend of mine who was born in Afghanistan told about him. Somehow he knows his family or something. I will get the full story from him but I told him I would keep an eye on him.

He has length and quickness. He also shows good instincts. He made plays last night both at linebacker and on special teams.

Watkins has been outstanding. Tillman continues to be impressive.

Hurst made some plays. The DL played well. We were all over Mariota. He looked bad.

I have really become a DTR fan. This young man can play in the NFL. He has good feet, and a quick release. He is accurate. The big thing is his poise and decision making. He knows where to throw and has been decisive.

The draft class of Tillman, Jones, Diabate, Hickman, Wypler have all played well. I need to go back and look more at Ika.

I feel the team is in a good place. York is a concern but I am not yet in a panic.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I think DTR is very poised and takes what the defense gives
Him. He doesn't try to play hero ball on every throw
Like the last QB from Oklahoma they drafted 5 years ago.
I like has he has trust and faith in his WRs especially Tillman.

Defensively they tackled well and you can the fundamentals
Of tacking has been emphasized this year.

I will reinforce. Just because this team played competitively
With the Eagles does not mean this team has arrived.
Homer's like Zagura will act like Browns are a top 5 NFL
Team now and they aren't.
So don't buy Into the preseason Kool aid.
When it comes Wk 1 vs the Bengals this game won't matter.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I forgot about Tillman. He looks the part to me. Really physical, good catch radius, tough to bring down. I think he's got a good chance to stick for a while

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Tillman.

I think it is an interesting note that Randy Moss stated that he thinks Tillman is the best receiver to come into the NFL in the last 15 years.

Chad Ocho Johnson also has Tillman as a number one prospect.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

I'd want Felton over Kelly and it's not even close.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: Hammer
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
no doubt about it (and I'm not in love with Felton either). I see a pretty big drop off after Chubb (without having Ford either)

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
why dont we re-sign hunt?

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted by BADdog
why dont we re-sign hunt?
because he's cooked. He has no burst left, which is probably why he's still not signed.

I'd be OK with Wilkins over Kelley based on what I've seen

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Schwartz and York can go - I've seen enough of these guys. I have no idea why Kareem Hunt is not on this team. Chubb, Hunt and Ford isn't that enough? What am I missing?

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
1 member likes this: 3rd_and_20
Legend
Legend
I am a huge fan of Aditi. I think she is the best at what she does.

She is knowledgeable. She asks great questions. She brings a bright positive attitude. She gets along well with players and coaches.
She is respected throughout the league.

Legend
Legend
I like has he has trust and faith in his WRs especially Tillman.

I love the fact that they played together in HS and now in the NFL.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: oobernoober
B
Legend
Legend
B
There is a good chance that Tillman becomes our #1 as early as next season. Maybe this season if Cooper goes down. He might get past DPJ this season.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: lampdogg
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Sadly my thought is if the Browns don't get over this kicker obstinacy soon it's really going to hurt them. I'd hate to see the Browns fire everybody because they can't make a FG. Cade York is the Nuke Laloosh of football. ( the pitcher that dropped the mascot in Bull Durham) They like him because he has great stuff but he has no clue where it's going. Why is he kicking curve balls? Hey Meat hit them straight! Should somebody tell him to aim toward the Elf? Do the Browns have the time to wait for this kid? Idk I'd like to see them with a plan B.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
If we can hold on to DTR until Watson's contract runs out, I think we could have our future starter

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
2 members like this: jfanent, 3rd_and_20
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I think Tillman will make DPJ expendable if we want to stick with Cooper for 1-2 more years

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
What caught my eye the most, was that the Eagles had a lot of starters playing on defense, and DTR played good against them. Hurst showed what he can do if he stays healthy, will be a nice 4th DT. Diabate is going to be a player. I was also pretty impressed by the back up Oline. And Watkins will be a nice add to the WR room. Looks like Berry landed some good young players for the future

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
1 member likes this: Homewood Dog
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I said the same in an earlier post about DTR.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 08/18/23 08:14 PM.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by illegalmoe
Sadly my thought is if the Browns don't get over this kicker obstinacy soon it's really going to hurt them. I'd hate to see the Browns fire everybody because they can't make a FG. Cade York is the Nuke Laloosh of football. ( the pitcher that dropped the mascot in Bull Durham) They like him because he has great stuff but he has no clue where it's going. Why is he kicking curve balls? Hey Meat hit them straight! Should somebody tell him to aim toward the Elf? Do the Browns have the time to wait for this kid? Idk I'd like to see them with a plan B.

If it really came down to that, I doubt we would fire everyone.

As for a plan "B", you can execute that in a day. You could do it as early as the Friday, even Saturday before the game. No doubt that earlier would be better...so sign the guy on Monday after the game and have him in camp by Wednesday.

Kickers don't have playbooks to memorize or anything like that. He and the holder only need to work together for a few hours tops before the holder gets down the placements the way the kicker likes and the kicker becomes comfortable the holder is going to get it down to his liking.

Send the snapper, holder, kicker, a few ball boys with a sack of footballs down to the stadium for a few hours and you are good to go.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: PortlandDawg
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

Below, is a bit of info/history on York...

York was not the most accurate kicker in college (ncaa)...he ranked 24th in FG percentage in the NCAA in 2021 as a LSU Junior.
...York had 18 fg attps with 15 fgs made his junior year. Below is his 3yr college record...

G XPM..XPA..XP%...FGM..FGA...FG%
15 89....93....95.7....21....27....77.8
10 36....36....100.....18....21....85.7
12 39....39....100.....15....18....83.3

Was York the best FG kicker in 2022 draft..? I hope he was, but he needs figure out what he needs to do to improve.

The Browns drafted York in the 4th round of the 2022 draft, the #124 player drafted. He was the only kicker drafted in the 2022 draft. Obviously the Browns DRAFT ROOM ranked York as the best kicker in the 2022 draft. The question I have..how can the #24 ranked kicker in FG% in the 2022 ncaa be considered the best kicker/draft prospect by the Browns DRAFT ROOM..?

York's college record covering 3 ncaa/LSU seasons indicate that York is an 82% FG kicker
In his first season in the NFL, York is a 75% FG kicker...not so good but not that far from his college stats, 82% FG%.

The Browns simply can not afford to lose games because our kicker is inconsistent.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
J/C. York seems to have issues within the 20 and extra points. IDK maybe we bring in an accurate short range kicker?

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral
J/C. York seems to have issues within the 20 and extra points. IDK maybe we bring in an accurate short range kicker?

Sometimes I feel like a Doug Flutie drop-kick FG would be the better option.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
mac #2023833 08/21/23 02:12 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Using analytics to make your argument.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: jfanent
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season Preseason Gameday vs Philadelphia Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard